Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
How prevalent would violence be in an average samurai's life through the eras? Would it be possible to be the lord of some nowhere place and be professionally trained in Violence but never get into a scrap? Or was it basically a given that if you were born into a samurai family you were definitely gonna have to kill a guy at some point.

I recognise that's a hugely broad question and the answer would vary enormously depending on where and when we're talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Barry Foster posted:

How prevalent would violence be in an average samurai's life through the eras? Would it be possible to be the lord of some nowhere place and be professionally trained in Violence but never get into a scrap? Or was it basically a given that if you were born into a samurai family you were definitely gonna have to kill a guy at some point.

I recognise that's a hugely broad question and the answer would vary enormously depending on where and when we're talking

I believe many samurai just became bureaucrats after the Sengoku-era civil war was over and possibly never had to get into a fight.

That is, until some lowly peasant disrespected him somehow.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 17, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i buy the shinobi being masked attackers - not wearing black, but beige that blends in more indoors - when the point is for them to be unidentified while doing their thing, wearing layers that are removable so they can blend in later plus eschewing armour to not make noise, for this kind of large coordinated group action this makes sense as opposed to the former idea of the ninja as the individual stealth infiltrator and espionage agent - these aren’t like the earlier episode where a deep cover agent in serving clothes was activated

they should have all been dressed like this

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

If ever a show earned a love story, it’s this one. drat.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Barry Foster posted:

The idea of a hereditary warrior caste in Japanese society kind of went roughly hand-in-hand with an increase in violence in their history. In the earliest periods we have records for there was of course plenty of internal struggle for dominance within the fledgling Imperial court and as those in power attempted to expand their authority across all of the Home Islands, but a lot of these were fairly limited in scope by later standards. Around the 600s, the ruling class started to reform their military along Chinese models, coinciding with a dramatic passion for all things Chinese among the aristocracy, and these reforms coincided with a period of relative peace as most soldiers became peasant levies minus a dedicated group of professionals to train them in times of crisis. Resources were diverted to the arts, which is why we have so much poetry and painting from that era.

A few hundred years later, internal unrest and rebellion against the Imperial court became more frequent, particularly as they neared total dominance of the main island of Honshu. The samurai class started expanding, and then the Imperial family started to seclude themselves, losing power to the landed nobility who began fighting among themselves more frequently and/or rebelling against the throne more often. By 1100 this culminated in the Genpei War, which led to the collapse of the Imperial family's power and the rise of the very first Shogunate. Prior to that time, the term was reserved as a temporary office at the Emperor's service, but this made it a hereditary military dictatorship for the first time. This was when the Samurai fully came into their own as a caste within the social heirarchy.

Things got quiet for a few decades, then came the Mongolian invasions, and a second Shogunate dynasty. This was also the period when mass infantry started to come back into style, meaning larger-scale battles whenever battles did occur. There was a gradual escalation of internal violent disputes as the second Shogunate's power decayed over about 200 years, and then came THE SENGOKU JIDAI, everyone's favorite Game of Thrones Super War that lasted a full century. That era's ending coincides roughly with the events of this show, after which there was a period of fairly solid peace for another three centuries until the Meiji Restoration, which ended the Samurai as a legitimate warrior caste once and for all.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 17, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember reading some random thing years ago that said that Katanas were kept sheathed as much as possible and only used when necessary, with a samurai often using other makeshift weapons instead if possible, because of the low quality of the steel in Japan. The swords were easily damaged and not easy or cheap to repair, especially for the lower ranked samurai. I have no idea where I even heard that or how true it is, but now seems like as good of a time as any to find out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

If ever a show earned a love story, it’s this one. drat.

Yeah it really shows how effective it can be to have it play out over a long period of time with mostly small gestures and brief moments and having actors with good chemistry.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So was there any deeper significance of Mariko's poem about the leafless branch? Seems like the kind of thing that would be Weighted With Import for those well-versed in the culture, more than just "good, but a little bleak"

Also lol autocorrect keeps trying to make me write Mario

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My own take on the leafless branch is that she's talking about her family line. Though she has a son, he's a Toda, so she's just been hanging there her whole life, a branch that can't bear any fruit for her father's family.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Last Mariko, died as she lived, being a passive aggressive queen

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a subtle plea to Ochiba, whose name means Fallen Leaves.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I thought it was directed at Ochiba who seemed quite distressed upon hearing it. Ochiba (落葉) means fallen leaves, by the way.

edit: ^beaten

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phy posted:

So was there any deeper significance of Mariko's poem about the leafless branch? Seems like the kind of thing that would be Weighted With Import for those well-versed in the culture, more than just "good, but a little bleak"

While the snow remains

Veiled in the haze of cold evening

A leafless branch

Now I must make like a tree

And leave

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

kiimo posted:

While the snow remains

Veiled in the haze of cold evening

A leafless branch

Now I must make like a tree

And leave

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
it's a terrible start to a poem, as per the show's protagonist Yabushige

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Phy posted:

Also lol autocorrect keeps trying to make me write Mario
Besides the call-out to Ochiba, you've got plenty of stuff to take your pick from. The entire line is rife with winter imagery; winter is death, it is bleakness, it is when things end. It is also pure and white (more death imagery, to a Japanese mind). It's quiet. It's when plans end and everyone and everything goes to ground. But it's not hopeless; it precedes spring, which is rebirth and life. The snow-covered landscape hides green plants that are silently growing, biding their time. A leafless branch in winter looks hopeless, but unless it's on a dead tree, it will soon be covered with blooming flowers.

You can take that line to mean anything from "I'm on a path that ends with my death and I'm okay with that" to "I want you all thinking about how hopeless your own positions are" to "Toranaga is not as beaten as he looks". And she refuses to elaborate by declining to enter the poetry competition, meaning she won't supply any further lines. You've got to take that one and guess, and maybe what you hear her saying says more about you than it does her.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This episode was pure :decorum: The Show and it was great.

(I also thought Yabu was letting Toranaga's men in for a hot second, mostly because I had no idea what Yabu's men looked like and assumed he was killing Ishido's men - as he'd switched to Ishido's side.)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I hope the cannons are OK :ohdear:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mauser posted:

it's a terrible start to a poem, as per the show's protagonist Yabushige

I would watch 5 seasons of Yabu in Korea and pre-Shogun.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

they should have all been dressed like this

Actual subtitle from one of the flicks I mentioned way upthread:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Sio posted:

Ishido does have a peasant background in the show; not sure if that’s the case in the novel or not, or whether it matches his historical analogue.

Yeah just saw him mention it in the show on the rewatch with wife

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Blackthorne just kind of appears heavily constipated in every scene he's in, I think it's the combined effect of the stiff acting and the weird voice Cosmo is doing, he's absolutely the weak link in the cast. Not an easy role though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sio posted:

Ishido does have a peasant background in the show; not sure if that’s the case in the novel or not, or whether it matches his historical analogue.

I thought Mariko was obliquely referencing this when she said "I'm not a peasant to be trod upon"

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Vampire Panties posted:

I thought Mariko was obliquely referencing this when she said "I'm not a peasant to be trod upon"

Oh she was directly referencing Ishido’s heritage. Even the late Taiko’s wife warned Ochida with her dying breath not to trust that ambitious commoner, he’s up to no good!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Aurubin posted:

While in line for the "what a twist!" thing, I just think a Toranaga false flag has too much potential for failure. But who knows, maybe they'll sell it well if it's that.

Who knows? Maybe it was just those drat bandits who have been ravaging the roads outside Osaka for a long time.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

Blackthorne just kind of appears heavily constipated in every scene he's in, I think it's the combined effect of the stiff acting and the weird voice Cosmo is doing, he's absolutely the weak link in the cast. Not an easy role though.

I do still think this is a deliberate choice, and Jarvis is entertainingly and mostly very effectively playing up certain aspects in order to demonstrate how Blackthorne must come across to the rest of the characters, in constant violation of social etiquette: graceless and unable to remain still, blurting out his innermost emotions or leaving them instantly readable upon his shocked or sorrowful face, bellowing unnecessarily loudly or emphatically to make a point (while, say, Mariko can make the same point with a gentle 'So sorry, but...')

I'm not sure I'm willing to stand up and wholeheartedly defend what appears to be his Ep 10 line reading of "Don't you understand? I came here to YOOOSE YOOOOOOOOU", though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

grobbo posted:

I do still think this is a deliberate choice, and Jarvis is entertainingly and mostly very effectively playing up certain aspects in order to demonstrate how Blackthorne must come across to the rest of the characters, in constant violation of social etiquette: graceless and unable to remain still, blurting out his innermost emotions or leaving them instantly readable upon his shocked or sorrowful face, bellowing unnecessarily loudly or emphatically to make a point (while, say, Mariko can make the same point with a gentle 'So sorry, but...')

I'm not sure I'm willing to stand up and wholeheartedly defend what appears to be his Ep 10 line reading of "Don't you understand? I came here to YOOOSE YOOOOOOOOU", though.

That reminds me of one of my favourite moments this episode that got kinda overshadowed by the finale: Mariko telling Blackthorne that they should leave, her having a tearful final goodbye with Oshiba, and him just absolutely gracelessly STOMP STOMP STOMPing away. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved him stopping in the background and looking back, like he was thinking,"...I thought you said we were leaving?" :allears:

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of one of my favourite moments this episode that got kinda overshadowed by the finale: Mariko telling Blackthorne that they should leave, her having a tearful final goodbye with Oshiba, and him just absolutely gracelessly STOMP STOMP STOMPing away. :allears:

That was so good and somehow a perfect visual representation of 'I'm ready to leave the party but my wife keeps stopping to say goodbye to people'

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The heir just wants to play in the dirt. Winking Blackthorne gets it.

Season 2 will be a buddy comedy with the two of them. "Shogun - The Regent's Treat from Regent Street"

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 18, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It amuses me that Blackthorne sounds like when Youtuber Chris Broad tries to do his "serious voice". Though he moved to Japan and married an attractive Canadian.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Blackthorne using that pistol like it's a glock but i'm down for that.

Phy posted:

Lessons for gun shooters about cover vs concealment should now until the end of time feature John Blackthorne blasting ninjas on the other side of the wall

they killed his waifu, now he's going to kill them

john blackthorne-wick

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
This show really should be called drip masters because the costumes in some of these scenes are unreal. Sometimes I get pulled out because I’m checking out Ishido’s patterns or whatever.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

sonatinas posted:

This show really should be called drip masters because the costumes in some of these scenes are unreal. Sometimes I get pulled out because I’m checking out Ishido’s patterns or whatever.

Good excuse to repost the behind the scenes video about the costume design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7k65stCQJE

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sonatinas posted:

someone please give me a jacket based on yabu's crow feather armor.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I would watch 5 seasons of Yabu in Korea and pre-Shogun.

I think the fun part of his character is that he's constantly out of his depth and we probably wouldn't get that if he were fighting battles or massacring civilians, which seems more like his speed

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

someone please give me a jacket based on yabu's crow feather armor.

Yabu-patterned jackets would singlehandedly fund seasons 2 and 3 if they sold merch.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

I think the fun part of his character is that he's constantly out of his depth and we probably wouldn't get that if he were fighting battles or massacring civilians, which seems more like his speed

I think Yabu is a competent and savvy operator- it's just that Toranaga is an apex predator and continually abuses his insight into Yabu's self-serving tendencies. Absent Toranaga, I think Yabu would be a formidable opponent for any other daimyo. He's both a true believer (exhibited by his acceptance of death on multiple occasions) and a pragmatist. A man with that combination of qualities can be dangerous.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Toranaga's ability to turn his loyal subjects dying into power moves is truly impressive.

My gardener died? Frame him as a spy to protect the real spy.
My son died? Declare period of mourning to buy time
My most loyal lord died? Proves I am powerless and broken to my enemies
My most loyal lord's daughter in law died? Weakens Ishido's prestige as he allowed a guest under his care to be killed

Historically the Battle of Sekigahara has a large portion of the enemy army defect mid-battle which could be what he is playing for by being the exemplary honorable lord compared to a peasant killing guests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

speaking of the dead gardener, are we going to see more of the actual spy? didnt toranaga say he was one of his most trusted samurai?