Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's basically no advantage, the game should be silently making the choice for you instead of asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you everyone this thread is great always really helpful!!

one more question: Monster Hunter Rise, why are there black bars around the screen/how do I fix it? Changing the resolutions doesnt do anything. Heres a pic:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Probably doesn’t support 16:10 resolutions.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Eiyuden Chronicle runs like a dream on Steam Deck, life is good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you everyone this thread is great always really helpful!!

one more question: Monster Hunter Rise, why are there black bars around the screen/how do I fix it? Changing the resolutions doesnt do anything. Heres a pic:

RandolphCarter posted:

Probably doesn’t support 16:10 resolutions.

Correct. There’s a mod you can get and install on the Deck to get 16:10 support going if you want to take a few extra steps.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

EVGA Longoria posted:

USB-A cannot charge the steam deck, full stop. The deck uses 15v for charging, which USB-A cannot provide in-spec. Even if it could, it's not until you get to some manufacturer-specific extensions (aka not actual standards) that you get one that has the wattage to even appreciably slow the discharge speed of the steam deck.

Get a USB-C power bank with some big batteries in it, it will be able to charge your phone/laptop/steam deck/whatever else for the next decade, USB-A is reaching its end of usefulness for actual electronics charging purposes.

I hate to buy another battery/power bank when I already have one, but at least they are cheap.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boar It posted:

Hah yeah that sounds about right. I wanted it just for some extra protection without going for a full case, but the skins don't actually protect the back side of the grips, which would be the main part I want to actually cover. With it being the parts you touch the most and the most likely to rest on various surfaces. Given how repairable the steam deck is I guess it is easier to just.. get a new back/front plate if needed as they get scuffed over time since they don't seem to cost a lot. :shrug:

Edit:

I guess you won't be replacing the front without a full disassembly but that is less likely to wear anyways.

I put a Dbrand skin on mine, it wasn't hard but there are definitely difficult spots and I messed up in a few places. I did use a hairdryer, and I don't think it's possible for the average person to get them 100% perfect on the first try. Even in Dbrand's video, I'm convinced they show a black skin on a black device because it makes it impossible to see areas where they screwed up.
For example, the thin section between the left thumbstick and the screen is a little wavy, it's not bad it's just super noticeable next to the straight line of the display edge. Mine also has wrinkling at the corners that are the most curved. I did use a heat gun and that helped, but it's still not perfect. I'm forcing myself to be okay with imperfections in my work.

That said, I've been having issues with mine (the controls don't work in game but do in steam menus) that a factory reset didn't fix, and so I might have to try and send mine back. If I get sent a replacement I'll lose the skin.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This is the secret reason for dbrand’s ‘edgy’ PR poo poo, if you fail to put it on correctly they can just call you a loving moron and everyone cheers and claps instead of going “yeah that sucks”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

But if you can get them to make a racist comment about you they’ll give you 10 grand so who can say if it’s good or bad

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

But if you can get them to make a racist comment about you they’ll give you 10 grand so who can say if it’s good or bad

What a weird marketing campaign

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

very specific question if anyone knows the answer. I have poppy playtime chapter 1, 2 and 3 purchased. When I try to click on chapter 2 or three it doesn't open the game it brings me to the store page. Does anyone know how to fix this or how to get around it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh dang they’re on chapter 3 already? Is it worth getting now? I watched a friend play the first and I thought it was neat but I found it short.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shard posted:

very specific question if anyone knows the answer. I have poppy playtime chapter 1, 2 and 3 purchased. When I try to click on chapter 2 or three it doesn't open the game it brings me to the store page. Does anyone know how to fix this or how to get around it?

iirc when you launch the game, it pops up an external window asking you which chapter you want to play, so that's probably where it's falling apart in the deck interface

Rolo posted:

Oh dang they’re on chapter 3 already? Is it worth getting now? I watched a friend play the first and I thought it was neat but I found it short.

The puzzles have gotten better but the game is still *insanely* buggy, I had to download other people's saves multiple times in the first couple hours of chapter 3 because of game-breaking bugs.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Guy who has only played Unicorn Overlord, playing his first fire emblem: Getting a lot of 'Unicorn Overlord' vibes from this...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
And lol, New Vegas fails to load any save after putting in eight hours.

Something never changes.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

so i imagine this was was a fairly common topic a while back but i'm late on the move to OLED-- is there a solid guide to move non-SteamOS stuff over to the new deck's HD?

i saw a bit of "just copy /home" but desktop mode already acts up a lot on my current LED deck (discover crashes, "FUSE setup" errors every minute) so if there's a better way i am all ears

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://arvrtips.com/ssh-into-the-steam-deck/

install linux. problem solved

You should be able to setup sshd on the deck and use a tool like WinScp on windows to move files off the deck’s OS.

I know people don’t like the Linux weenie poo poo but being able to open a shell onto the deck from windows is a super power, especially for maintenance of non-standard stuff like emudeck.

Start sshd on deck, connect to deck from windows with winscp, copy /home or whatever.

E: people encounter a situation where the deck is not displaying anything, force a power-off by holding the power button and risk corrupting their steam install.
But if you’re able to ssh in from another system you’re able to reboot “sudo shutdown -r now” and the deck would be back and running in a minute

e2: i don’t know about the steamOS / Arch specific stuff tho

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 23, 2024

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hadji murad posted:

And lol, New Vegas fails to load any save after putting in eight hours.

Something never changes.

I've had that issue when playing through it. I think the solution was to start a new game and then load the save from that as soon as it lets you.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

https://arvrtips.com/ssh-into-the-steam-deck/

install linux. problem solved

You should be able to setup sshd on the deck and use a tool like WinScp on windows to move files off the deck’s OS.

I know people don’t like the Linux weenie poo poo but being able to open a shell onto the deck from windows is a super power, especially for maintenance of non-standard stuff like emudeck.

Start sshd on deck, connect to deck from windows with winscp, copy /home or whatever

oh yeah i'm good on moving folders/files, was just curious if a more detailed migration guide had been floating around

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

stuker posted:

oh yeah i'm good on moving folders/files, was just curious if a more detailed migration guide had been floating around

I just started using Synchthing and it's brain dead simple.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stuker posted:

you can just image the whole drive from one to the other if you have the right adapters to access them both at the same time, but it sounds like you don’t want that, because you’re getting problems that you don’t want to bring over to the new device

what exactly do you want and not want to migrate?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sereri posted:

I've had that issue when playing through it. I think the solution was to start a new game and then load the save from that as soon as it lets you.

It worked! Thank you!!!

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
This is probably a silly question, but here goes:

How come some games actually get longer battery life when I just reduce the TDP but leave the GPU clock alone? On the other hand other games work well with BOTH TDP and GPU clock reduced.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

tango alpha delta posted:

This is probably a silly question, but here goes:

How come some games actually get longer battery life when I just reduce the TDP but leave the GPU clock alone? On the other hand other games work well with BOTH TDP and GPU clock reduced.

The GPU clock isn't a limit like the TDP is, you're locking the GPU to a specific frequency. If no specific frequency is set, then the GPU will clock up and down as required based on the demands of the game, but if you set a value then the GPU remains pinned to that frequency and will not auto-adjust

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Voodoo Cafe posted:

The GPU clock isn't a limit like the TDP is, you're locking the GPU to a specific frequency. If no specific frequency is set, then the GPU will clock up and down as required based on the demands of the game, but if you set a value then the GPU remains pinned to that frequency and will not auto-adjust

Cool, thanks!

That explains why the kill cam in New Vegas works almost perfectly when I leave the GPU settings alone.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

you can just image the whole drive from one to the other if you have the right adapters to access them both at the same time, but it sounds like you don’t want that, because you’re getting problems that you don’t want to bring over to the new device

what exactly do you want and not want to migrate?

two-part answer:

mostly it's exactly what you said, i've had a few persistent issues with desktop mode that are annoying but not annoying enough for a factory reset and i want to avoid bringing them along to the new device. particularly today while i've been trying to do cleanup i've noticed the OS just seems very unstable, i've been running into r/w errors for simple operations after desktop mode has been running for only 5-10min. i'd rather start from scratch than bring any of this over to the new deck, but i figured a guide might help discern easy stuff to move over

on the data side, i'm basically concerned with emulators/mod launchers/etc that aren't directly installed via steam. it seems like installations are pretty clean today, but i remember throwing a lot of files around/installing via not-flatpak 1-2yrs ago when i actually did the setup. tbf this seems like less of an issue because i can reinstall anything that breaks

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What I did was copy the old home folder to somewhere else on the new device. Like /home/home.old or the SD card. If there's something specific that's missing I go get just that thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After the battery died while asleep, I can't get my Deck to boot again

Battery light works, haptics work, chime sounds, but black screen and no boot

I tried all the 'hold ... and volume+' fixes I saw on steam forums and reddit, but while it did the 3 lights flashing bit, it wouldn't boot after that either

Anyone know any alternative fixes?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Had that problem on a Windows laptop once and the solution ended up being to wait a week or two for the battery to be absolutely definitely at literally no charge, hold down the power button for 30 seconds while it was not plugged in, then charge the battery.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

victrix posted:

After the battery died while asleep, I can't get my Deck to boot again

Battery light works, haptics work, chime sounds, but black screen and no boot

I tried all the 'hold ... and volume+' fixes I saw on steam forums and reddit, but while it did the 3 lights flashing bit, it wouldn't boot after that either

Anyone know any alternative fixes?

If you're up for it you could remove SD card and open it up, disconnect the battery connector, then see if if boots with the official power adapter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is this Steam Deck only chat cos I'm getting my Legion Go Friday and it would be nice to have somewhere to post about it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
What's a legion go?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well that's 6,000 soldiers, so depending on the length of engagement you are looking at probably $3 million a day at minimum not counting heavy equipment

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

More like Legion Go in the bin.

(go ahead and post don't let the nasty posters scare you)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Windows? ewwwwwwwwww

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s the better one of the windows alternatives at least and the detachable controllers apparently work very well

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You can also boot into Bazzite AKA Steam OS for added goodness

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this Steam Deck only chat cos I'm getting my Legion Go Friday and it would be nice to have somewhere to post about it

I’ve been using my legion go quite a bit lately and I’ve found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Hopefully you don’t feel the same!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Why get literally anything that’s not a Deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Why get literally anything that’s not a Deck?