Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Kragger99 posted:

Sending you good vibes Pillow. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Horrified travellers say the maggots came from a rotten fish in somebody’s hand luggage, which was teeming with larvae towards the back of the plane.

Should I bother asking?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Should I bother asking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EFF3BmxEq0

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all

I think I'm dying.
(..)

I hope it works out :sympathy:

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Maggots are airborne now??!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"SARS-CoV-2 Viral Shedding and Rapid Antigen Test Performance — Respiratory Virus Transmission Network, November 2022–May 2023"

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/73/wr/mm7316a2.htm posted:

Abstract
As population immunity to SARS-CoV-2 evolves and new variants emerge, the role and accuracy of antigen tests remain active questions. To describe recent test performance, the detection of SARS-CoV-2 by antigen testing was compared with that by reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and viral culture testing during November 2022–May 2023. Participants who were enrolled in a household transmission study completed daily symptom diaries and collected two nasal swabs (tested for SARS-CoV-2 via RT-PCR, culture, and antigen tests) each day for 10 days after enrollment. Among participants with SARS-CoV-2 infection, the percentages of positive antigen, RT-PCR, and culture results were calculated each day from the onset of symptoms or, in asymptomatic persons, from the date of the first positive test result. Antigen test sensitivity was calculated using RT-PCR and viral culture as references. The peak percentage of positive antigen (59.0%) and RT-PCR (83.0%) results occurred 3 days after onset, and the peak percentage of positive culture results (52%) occurred 2 days after onset. The sensitivity of antigen tests was 47% (95% CI = 44%–50%) and 80% (95% CI = 76%–85%) using RT-PCR and culture, respectively, as references. Clinicians should be aware of the lower sensitivity of antigen testing compared with RT-PCR, which might lead to false-negative results. This finding has implications for timely initiation of SARS-CoV-2 antiviral treatment, when early diagnosis is essential; clinicians should consider RT-PCR for persons for whom antiviral treatment is recommended. Persons in the community who are at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness and eligible for antiviral treatment should seek testing from health care providers with the goal of obtaining a more sensitive diagnostic test than antigen tests (i.e., an RT-PCR test).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Kragger99 posted:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone else having recently purchased Metrix tests failing all over the place? Expiration date 1/21/25. so far out of the box of ten I’ve had at least five fail with red/purple or red/red lights. I have no idea how many my husband used on his parents (resentfully, because apparently even testing is rude to ask for and stupid paranoia, even though they just got off an international flight they didn’t mask on then proceeded to go out and eat every day since).

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kragger99 posted:

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Kragger99 posted:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good luck Pillowpants, I hope they can finally get to the bottom of it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Oracle posted:

Anyone else having recently purchased Metrix tests failing all over the place? Expiration date 1/21/25. so far out of the box of ten I’ve had at least five fail with red/purple or red/red lights. I have no idea how many my husband used on his parents (resentfully, because apparently even testing is rude to ask for and stupid paranoia, even though they just got off an international flight they didn’t mask on then proceeded to go out and eat every day since).

Once I had double red right at the start. But the guide says to remove it, press down harder and put it back in, and it appeard to run normally after that. I've never had an invalid show up during/after a test. But I haven't used too many of the newest batch I have with the 1/25 dates.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Kragger99 posted:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Oracle posted:

I had some fail when I first started using them, but I've had a lot more success after I started pushing in the test really hard, harder than I would ever think necessary. No failures since then.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pingui posted:

:brainworms:
"Long COVID: plasma levels of neurofilament light chain in mild COVID-19 patients with neurocognitive symptoms"

Seems bad

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9293849/

quote:

Plasma neurofilament light chain as a biomarker of Alzheimer’s disease in Subjective Cognitive Decline and Mild Cognitive Impairment

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

"SARS-CoV-2 Viral Shedding and Rapid Antigen Test Performance — Respiratory Virus Transmission Network, November 2022–May 2023"

thanks pingui, sounds bad lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tuyop posted:

thanks pingui, sounds bad lol

Worth noting in particular that as a "just in case" safeguard where people are inherently asymptomatic, the rapid tests are barely worthwhile:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lovely. Turns out even the tools we have for the bird flu might not even be all that helpful in a outbreak

https://twitter.com/CoronaHeadsUp/status/1784351573608481036

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I posted hoping the medical goons would tell me if I’m a walking heart attack risk or if I’m just freaking out for no reason - since my doctors are saying nice things but not acting like it’s a good situation .

wasn’t looking for sympathy this time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Oracle posted:

my own metrix tip is to let the cartridge sit for about a minute before you insert it into the reader. has dramatically improved my success rate.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pillowpants posted:

I posted hoping the medical goons would tell me if I’m a walking heart attack risk or if I’m just freaking out for no reason - since my doctors are saying nice things but not acting like it’s a good situation .

I got no medical degree and this is not a medical advice, but you said you had low iron too. I've saw several folks talking about how they've also got extremely low iron too and there's a thread about it.

https://twitter.com/exceedhergrasp1/status/1466491046875918336

It could be that it is long covid and you're still suffering from Covid ongoing persistent infection in a non-respiratory areas in your body. But it'll be difficult to track that down and the other thing that could cause it is cancer so maybe ask your doctor to do some early cancer screening tests if they haven't done any yet.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pillowpants posted:

Fair enough. What you've done is what most of us would have as well - go to the doctors, try to advocate for yourself (it's sad we have to do this constantly going forward now that public health is dead), and maybe reach out here in case someone might have something. I know this post isn't still very helpful, but please know you're doing the right things to address this, afaict. Bolding in hopes someone here can chime in/point to something to help Pillow or maybe at least confirm/ease their highly stressful concerns..

Wish I could do more :smith:

e: thanks Neon

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Insanite posted:

my own metrix tip is to let the cartridge sit for about a minute before you insert it into the reader. has dramatically improved my success rate.

yeah, I’ve done this as a matter of course. I’ve also leaned on the drat thing to make sure it’s snapped into place. I think maybe it was just a bad batch or maybe the box was left in a hot truck or something

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

not a doctor but your BP isn't THAT bad

failure to diagnose major anemia after 3 years of complaints about chronic fatigue would make me consider switching doctors though

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pillowpants posted:

I'd take it easy, no one can know without the whole picture without examining you but it's not fabulous as those are essential minerals that dictate things like muscle contraction and oxygen delivery. So not great for the heart. Sorry.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Griz posted:

not a doctor but your BP isn't THAT bad

failure to diagnose major anemia after 3 years of complaints about chronic fatigue would make me consider switching doctors though

in doing that. if I wasn’t so fatigued and just blah I would have last year when he started talking about how prayer can help sometimes, and also hydroxychloriquine is a good thing for COVID.

I talked to a friends husband who is a doctor and he isn’t that concerned. Said my doctor failed by prescribing me amlodipine for BP and never once doing electrolytes testing (among many other things)

The Potassium and Magnesium is the major concern to them although it’s clear im also anemic

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all

I think I'm dying.

Anyways, I've been telling my PCP for loving 3 years now (since Covid Infection 1/3) that I was exhausted and needed help and he kept running blood tests. Now, I dont know what the "right" tests to run so he kept telling me i had moderate to high cholesterol and was close to prediabetic and everything else looks fine.....but heres some anxiety meds (also have i tried prayer) and you have sleep apnea but failed so we cant try again.

I know what Apnea fatigue is. This was worse. I kept asking him to run tests and finally i asked for a full workup that would show long covid or whatnot - and he he claimed he did it (He just did the same old tests)

So, I am 5'6, hit 315 about 3 months ago and I'm in process to get surgery.

On Wednesday - I went to the WL place and had lots of blood tests (23 vials of blood) and found that my
Potassium is at very low at a 2.9, my magnesium is low, my iron is low, my testestorone is ridiculously low, and my b12 is low. They took my BP 4 times (when i got there it was 160/100, got up to 180/100 and then was 140/100 the last two times) so they also gave me an EKG (which was fine) but the BP + Potassium really worried them so they sent me to the Infusion center to get IV Potassium

2 hours later, Potassium IV done.....Still at a 2.9

They're like....go to the ER now,.

So I go to the ER, the ER is like "They should have done magnesum first and then Potassium. Lets fix you right up" 3 hours later, my potassium is a 3.2 lol. They send me home with an appointment Friday to a nephrologist.

On Friday - my Potassium is a 2.9 again. BP still 160. He switches me from amlodipine to avapro for BP because amlodipine causes inflammation. Cuts my anxiety meds down. Puts me on a 2x daily Potassium supplement, and orders an echo to be done (long rear end weight for that) ...and i have to meet with an endocrinologist and a cardiologist next week.

Its clear that they're very concerned, but what I want to know is how concerned should i be on my day to day?
With BP 140-160/85-100, Potassium at a 2.9 when it should be 3.4 at least, Iron at 26 when 41 is low end of normal, and Magnesium is 1.5 when 1.6 is low end of normal...and my testosterone is at 138 when Im told average is 4x that. Am I a walking heart attack?

By the numbers, you look almost exactly like I did when my PCP suggested I may have developed reduced cardiac capacity or central sleep apnea as a result of chemotherapy (turns out I developed both). Almost exactly the same, I have that party of my medical history memorized. (Edit: to spell it out, I also had anemia from the chemo, the combination was a vicious downward spiral that was only solved by vastly widening my safety net of supplements and getting a special cpap)

YLLS has a Goon Doctor sub forum, go there.

^ Seconding the goon suggesting supplements to assist your body in those deficiencies long term, it really is remarkable how much energy you can recover when taking a good regimen bolstering B12/folate/niacin/D3/iron in particular. We Americans can fall into deficiency here particularly easily.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Apr 28, 2024

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pillowpants, if you're that anemic, insist on a full hematology workup. While your doctors are working on the most likely cause (unless you smoke or drink excessively), there's still a very long list of things that can cause anemia and are treatable if caught early. I don't see anything about an imaging scan in your post, or an endoscope, or a colonoscopy. By the way, if they're going to do those last two try to get them done on the same day.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

going back in time ten years to lol at my younger self who doesn't realize how absofucked he is

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

in doing that. if I wasn’t so fatigued and just blah I would have last year when he started talking about how prayer can help sometimes, and also hydroxychloriquine is a good thing for COVID.

I talked to a friends husband who is a doctor and he isn’t that concerned. Said my doctor failed by prescribing me amlodipine for BP and never once doing electrolytes testing (among many other things)

The Potassium and Magnesium is the major concern to them although it’s clear im also anemic

it could just be cascading effects e.g. magnesium improves iron intake and absorption so lacking magnesium affects your iron levels. Same with potassium, magnesium deficiency can sometimes cause potassium levels to drop. If you have issues with chronic diarrhea it can affect the levels of these minerals as they’re washed out before absorption and the subsequent intake of more water to replace what you’ve lost dilutes further.

You basically need competent medical professionals to do what they’re now doing.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

Pingui posted:

Worth noting in particular that as a "just in case" safeguard where people are inherently asymptomatic, the rapid tests are barely worthwhile:

I wonder if pointing this out will still be considered mental illness now that it's coming directly from the CDC (yes)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Oracle posted:

it could just be cascading effects e.g. magnesium improves iron intake and absorption so lacking magnesium affects your iron levels. Same with potassium, magnesium deficiency can sometimes cause potassium levels to drop. If you have issues with chronic diarrhea it can affect the levels of these minerals as they’re washed out before absorption and the subsequent intake of more water to replace what you’ve lost dilutes further.

You basically need competent medical professionals to do what they’re now doing.

This, it sounds like cascading effects. I wouldn't take supplements unless your new med team either gives them to you or says they're ok. Don't change any variables. I don't think you are dying but you are sick, so act accordingly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Adding normal, non-crazy amounts of supplements I was deficient in was an important part of me pulling up out of the downward spiral; I don't know about the wisdom of NOT starting that. I did have my doctor specifically give me a thumbs up for it, so there's that bit of "change was made only under medical guidance" safety I suppose.

Seconding that you need a metabolic panel. It's less expensive than you'd think. If your PCP was better, you'd have already gotten one with numbers that low, and you'd be getting one every 3-6 months until you're better.

You mentioned apnea, we have a CPAP (and some bipap) thread, brb

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Apr 28, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289117

Anyone with a valid CPAP prescription could go get an Airsense 10 for $600 right now, no compliance program (which sometimes requires adaptation quicker than people can comfortably adapt), no bullshit billing. I mention this because of the "failed" bit in your post, forgive me if I'm reading too much into it.

Thread has and can offer a lot of advice on how to ease into using cpap comfortably. It changes lives.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Apr 28, 2024

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

my recent new medical problem this year has been hives and rash. gp gave me steroids and made it way worse and i did a teladoc that said it was ringworm and gave me a week itraconazole pills which helped some but not eliminated. thought maybe it was a candida yeast infection in my guts so i quit all my supplements and stopped eating sugar and yeast for a while (v annoying lost a bunch of weight) and cleaned all the dust and some mold out of my house. got another week of antifungal from a dermatologist and was still getting occasional hives in the afternoon or when i would wake up in the morning or after a nap. i think it has finally stopped in the last week or so. there was also a ton of pollen this spring that slowed down recently so i dunno if i developed an allergy to that but i have never been allergic to anything in my life before.

one of the supplements i was taking for like a year+ to help me sleep through the night, n-aceyl cysteine was good but can eventually mess up your magnesium and copper levels i guess so i stopped taking it. taking supplements for minerals is confusing so instead i started eating lots of chia seeds that have a bunch of that stuff in them. i pour like a 1cm layer into a coffee cup and fill it with water stir it up and put it in the fridge and they turn into like little globby frogs eggs and take sips of it throughout the day. it's a little weird to drink (remember orbitz lol) but tastes pretty nice and fresh actually and has made me feel better.

also might want to try serrapeptase or nattokinase to they can help clear out blood clots? i stopped getting weird chest pains and tingly hands after taking some a few times.

Long COVID still has no cure — so these patients are turning to research posted:

With key long COVID trials yet to yield results, people with the condition are trying to change how clinical trials are done.
In late autumn 2022, McCorkell flew to New York City to participate in a trial being conducted by Putrino and his team. This study aimed to look for the presence of tiny blood clots, called microclots, in people with long COVID. It is thought that these cause symptoms such as fatigue and brain fog by impairing blood flow to the brain and body. There are still a lot of unknowns about microclots, including how many people with long COVID have them, how they form and whether the association is causal.
McCorkell gave blood samples that were analysed using fluorescent microscopy, which confirmed she had microclots. McCorkell says it was “a wake-up call”. Until that point, she had been managing her symptoms mainly by avoiding overexertion. But the presence of the clots suggested to her that there might be active damage happening to her body. So, she started taking supplements that TREAT ME survey respondents reported as helpful.
Eckey’s results, which have not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, show that of 668 respondents with long COVID, between 40% and 70% found some symptom relief when taking the supplements nattokinase, serrapeptase or lumbrokinase, individually or in combination (see https://go.nature.com/43xgyoq).

McCorkell says that the supplements she’s been taking have improved her general function by about 10%. Whereas that might not sound like much, she feels it is meaningful progress. Although the long COVID research has been difficult, she sees no other option but to stay involved. “We’re driven by desperation, out of improving our own quality of life.”

https://pharmd.substack.com/p/treat-me-survey-individual-treatment

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
honestly PP, I suspect your doctors and you are right that these health issues are due to high BMI and moderate to high BP, glucose, and cholesterol, but the good news is that the heart seems to be keeping up and the other issues are all at correctable stages. but i'm not a doctor, just a guy whose had all these tests.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Out of probably twenty I've used so far I've had one double purple at the end of the test (invalid result, which I think means no human DNA was detected or the human DNA primers failed) and one double red (test error)

That's a pretty high failure rate but not so high I won't keep using them. It also caught my mom's case before she had symptoms on a day I was going to have lunch with her, thank you metrix

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Potato Salad posted:

Adding normal, non-crazy amounts of supplements I was deficient in was an important part of me pulling up out of the downward spiral; I don't know about the wisdom of NOT starting that. I did have my doctor specifically give me a thumbs up for it, so there's that bit of "change was made only under medical guidance" safety I suppose.

Seconding that you need a metabolic panel. It's less expensive than you'd think. If your PCP was better, you'd have already gotten one with numbers that low, and you'd be getting one every 3-6 months until you're better.

You mentioned apnea, we have a CPAP (and some bipap) thread, brb

They have to know what he's taking or they could gently caress him up even more by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/barryhunt008/status/1784621447735832876?s=46