Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

AITAH for ghosting my bf after he said we were not a couple?

"We're not a couple!"
"Okay."
"Why did you ghost me?"
"You said it yourself, we're not a couple!"
"You could have told me we were breaking up!"
"Again, we're not a couple. We can't break up. That would require us to be dating first."
I feel like the BF here is not out to his homophobic family, but that's no excuse for his later conduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Troublemaker posted:

I absolutely love when people give ultimatums and the other person is like, "Ok, cool. I'll take the other thing, then."

gently caress this stepdad and his whole lovely family for thinking she should cut her deceased father's family off and latch onto this rear end in a top hat.
Someone laying down an ultimatum and then being stunned when the other person picks it up is one of my favorite recurring thread tropes.

The part of that story that made my skin crawl the most was the way he ambushed her with that request at a public event in front of everyone, putting her on the spot in an environment where the maximum pressure could be applied to change her mind. OP showed considerable fortitude by shooting that poo poo down on the spot. He should be uninvited from the wedding for that alone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

I feel like the BF here is not out to his homophobic family, but that's no excuse for his later conduct.
That was my first thought but I don't think it really makes sense because it sounds like his entire family asked if OP was his boyfriend

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

NGDBSS posted:

It actually says in the story that he's out to his family. So 'J' was just being a dingus!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh yeah that really makes no sense

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Only other thing I can think of is him being scared of anything sounding like an official commitment label like ‘boyfriends’.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

FMguru posted:

Someone laying down an ultimatum and then being stunned when the other person picks it up is one of my favorite recurring thread tropes.

The part of that story that made my skin crawl the most was the way he ambushed her with that request at a public event in front of everyone, putting her on the spot in an environment where the maximum pressure could be applied to change her mind. OP showed considerable fortitude by shooting that poo poo down on the spot. He should be uninvited from the wedding for that alone.

Yeah, Stepdad even admits he purposefully put her on the spot because he thought she wouldn't be so rude as to refuse him in front of everyone.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my husband he poops too much?

quote:

My husband poops several times a day. He makes 2-3 trips to the bathroom in the morning (right after waking up + right after breakfast), then at least three more times throughout the day. Each of these sessions is at least 20 minutes, and I know he is actually pooping, although he takes his phone with him (that's not the point of this post, I don't care about the phone). When I asked him why he poops so often, he told me he feels like he's bloated and needs to poop after each large meal. Recently, I lost my patience and told him that his pooping was affecting my life and that he needs to go to a doctor because this is completely abnormal. We have a kid and I find it annoying to have to accommodate my husband's pooping schedule among everything else we need to get done each day. He was offended by this and said it's normal to poop this much for the amount of food he eats. I continue to insist that he must have some type of disease such as IBS or something, that is causing his constant need to poop. AITA for upsetting my husband and insisting that he goes to a doctor for his excessive pooping?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can understand the alarm as a problem, but what on earth is going on with a keypad that's loud enough to wake people up? Is that a thing? :psyduck:

I have slept in a bedroom next to an exterior door that had a beefy older keypad lock, and the beeps were decently audible (either through the near wall, or outside window, or a combo of both) and the actual noise of the motor+lock would be enough to wake a fussy baby.

That was like 2005-tech, but also I assume people don't replace front door locks all that often.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

It actually says in the story that he's out to his family. So 'J' was just being a dingus!
Oh yeah, so he's just...self-sabotaging because he's an idiot? Still dealing with internalized homophobia? Scared of commitment labels like ApplesandOranges said? I'm grasping at straws here. :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Debated just posting the title for this one, but have the whole post I guess.

Should I end it with a weeaboo?

quote:

TL;DR;: been dating a guy for a couple of weeks and found out he is a weeaboo. Should I call it off?

I (32 F) have been casually dating this guy (35 M) for a couple of weeks. For context, I am Chinese-American. He is white. I knew he liked anime and video games from the beginning but didn’t think much of it.

Last week, we were talking about places we’d want to go to and he told me his dream vacation was Japan. He wanted to go for Japan for four weeks and tower over everyone. When I asked him why, he described himself as a weeaboo. (I didn’t even know what a weeaboo was) Turns out, he has a pretty deep obsession with Japanese anime culture and wishes he was Japanese. I honestly thought it was like a casual interest, or that he liked a couple of animes. As someone of Asian descent, I am hyper vigilant against people who might fetishize me. As far as I know, he doesn’t exclusively date Asian girls. But the whole obsession with Japanese culture is icking me out.

He’s really nice. He’s smart and creative. He’s funny. He cooks. He has a lot of friends and a good career and has a good relationship with his family. We If it wasn’t for this weeaboo thing, I’d be quite into him.

Is there a point in continuing? Should I just call it off at this point?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
AITA for refusing a coworkers gift of used housewares?

quote:

So I (30F) recently eloped with boyfriend, well now husband (39M). We purchased a home on the lake in a new subdivision and it is truly our dream home. We had closed on our house about a month prior to the elopement so we already had moved our belongings in and purchased anything else we needed and sold any other belongings that we had in each of our apartments since the leases were up or almost up.

Once some of my coworkers found out we had eloped, they wanted to throw me a shower. I politely told them I was perfectly fine with having a little party to celebrate but no gifts. When asked why no gifts I told them honestly didn’t need anything. Typically in my area when a wedding shower or housewarming party is thrown people gift toasters or sets of dishes etc. Our home is furnished. We both have successful jobs. “No gifts or monetary gifts please. But we would love to celebrate with you. Your presence is the only gift we want.” That was basically the conversation. And it was received well. The party happened and all went well.

Yesterday a coworker who had not came to the party randomly showed up at our home. I am not close with this person. We actually try to avoid each other most days. Anyways, she arrived at our home with 3 large black trash bags that contained used houseware items from her home. She said she “knew it was hard when you are first starting out” and thought these items could help us “while we get on our feet”. She also made a comment about how she was going to have a garage sale but would rather just give them to someone who needed them.

I told her I really appreciated the thought but that we were settled and maybe she should take her items give them to someone who needed them because we were on our feet. She said I was just being modest. She ended up refusing to tell me how she got my address and also refused to take her “gifts” back with her. I told her we didn’t need her items but if she wanted to leave them I would be happy to donate them for her. She said I was being rude. She did leave the bags though and I am taking them to a local consignment store that sells items and uses the money to help survivors of domestic violence.

AITA?

Update:

quote:

UPDATE: HR was miraculously able to see me this morning. She also found the address issue concerning.

I work in Healthcare and I am also a patient where I work. Everything you access within our system is logged. So when they pulled her access records it turns out my coworker had accessed my medical records 5 times within a week. It was never within her job duties to access my file. She had also accessed 2 other coworkers files.

They terminated her employment on the spot. Within our company (and I would imagine most) that is grounds for immediate termination. Her sister in law is also an employee there and she had accessed my records as well. Her employment was also terminated.

Now I’m wondering if I need to seek legal action or even get a restraining order? My husband donated the items this morning. He said he didn’t want them in the garage any longer than necessary. I had read him the comment about the items possibly having bugs or being bugged and now we are both paranoid.

Ah, justice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are commitment issues really such a rare and strange phenomenon? I feel like it’s a shopworn cliche.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

mystes posted:

I kind of wonder it's some weird thing where he doesn't want to say they're a couple because of like internalized homophobia or something?

At first glance, it reads to me pretty clearly that he considers calling each other 'boyfriend' to his parents is a big deal and hadn't thought through if he's ready to make that commitment or not, and this is the first time the topic has really been brought up. But the "I tried to discuss it with him multiple times, but he brushed it off," is the part that makes me join in the 'this doesn't make sense'. If he really wants to be FWB or uncommitted or whatever you label 'banging but not BF' then he shouldn't accuse OP of cheating, and if he doesn't then he should have discussed it one of the multiple times OP brought up the topic.

Until I went back and caught that line, I thought OP was being a drama queen by moving away, but since he did try to discuss it I give a thumbs up to the 'new address, who this?' maneuver.

EDIT to add:

Halloween Jack posted:

Are commitment issues really such a rare and strange phenomenon? I feel like it’s a shopworn cliche.

I don't find the 'commitment issues' strange (though it does seem like other people do), for me it's the 'I am acting like I have commitment issues, but also refuse to talk about the relationship, but also expect my partner to act like we've made the commitment I distinctly said I wasn't making and refused to talk about' that makes it odd.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 30, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ApplesandOranges posted:

Debated just posting the title for this one, but have the whole post I guess.

Should I end it with a weeaboo?

Dumping a weeaboo is always the right decision.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mx. posted:

I poop two times in the morning
I poop two times at night
I poop two times in the afternoon
It makes me feel all right
I poop two times in time of peace
And twice in time of war
I poop two times before I poop two times
And then I poop twice more

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

trickybiscuits posted:

How the hell did I miss it the first time around? Maybe this will atone for my sin. Long but worth it.

My husband’s ex gf is dying. Her last wish is to be with my husband.

[Update] My husband’s ex is dying. Her last wish is to be with my husband.

YAY for OP. YAY for her figuring out she is worth more than being a consolation prize.

Boo to the husband. Boo I say.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Mx. posted:

whats his username

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

whats his username

please don't doxx me like this

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Halloween Jack posted:

It's the kind of thing that *usually* gets worked out of ones system one way or the other by the ages they were at.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't find the 'commitment issues' strange (though it does seem like other people do), for me it's the 'I am acting like I have commitment issues, but also refuse to talk about the relationship, but also expect my partner to act like we've made the commitment I distinctly said I wasn't making and refused to talk about' that makes it odd.
Also this. Like I said: stupid games, stupid prizes.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I met my long term partner on Tinder and when I told my dad about it he got on there and banged like half of the rich divorcees in Los Angeles and goes on vacations all over the world with them. I know a lot of people who are in long term relationships from tinder but ymmv

A friend of mine likes to say he's had a 50% success rate with Tinder. His first Tinder date was a total disaster and they never spoke again; his second Tinder date is now his wife, and they have a house, daughter, and dog together.

Also your dad's a loving legend lmao

Mx. posted:

As someone with Crohn's: see a doctor bruh, you can in fact most likely get your poops under control!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Only other thing I can think of is him being scared of anything sounding like an official commitment label like ‘boyfriends’.

Some people cannot handle the idea of admitting they are in a committed relationship. I used to know someone who would only call her boyfriend her "gentleman caller." Nobody's loving calling on anybody, you've lived together for a year and dated nobody else.

She also flew off the handle at the suggestion that there exists a human being that won't cheat, so that one was a bundle of issues.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's the kind of thing that *usually* gets worked out of ones system one way or the other by the ages they were at.

Also this. Like I said: stupid games, stupid prizes.

The person I'm talking about was in her 30s, too.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

This is a weird question but what is the best attitude to have about passing gas in a household with children? My partner and I are hoping to have a baby in the next year or two and this is something I randomly thought about when imagining daily life with a child. Despite having been together for close to a decade, my partner and I are fairly private about bodily noises around each other; when we are in the same room I try to avoid making any noise if I have to pass gas (though I don’t worry about it if we are in separate rooms and he is not likely to hear me). I don’t want a potential child to grow up thinking normal bodily functions are shameful, but I HATE “potty humor” and don’t want my kid to be the one making fart noises all the time for a laugh. Obviously, we will impart that if you make a noise with your body in public you should say, “Excuse me,” but what about at home? Should that be a safe space for passing gas without fear of consequence, or is it better to continue to enforce that some things should be kept as private as possible? I grew up in a pretty intellectually open environment, but my family was very private about any and all body-related matters so I’m not totally sure what the norm is.

—Excuse Me!

quote:

Dear Excuse Me,

Generally, I think it’s up to families to determine their own “culture” around these kinds of things. You can be a farting family or a silent family, a shower-in-front-of-toddlers family or a close-the-door family, a pee-with-the-door-open family or a privacy-please family. None of those are any better or worse than their alternatives. An easy way to parent this without making it a big deal is to frame it the way you did to me—as a personal preference rather than a universal rule. So, instead of telling your kids flat-out that farts are gross, you just say, “It’s fine if you think fart jokes are funny, but they make me uncomfortable, so no fart jokes in this house, please.” Similarly, once you’re a parent, you’ll know when your kid lets a fart escape on accident and when it’s done on purpose; you can address each of those appropriately in the moment. (However, I wouldn’t hold a child accountable for passing gas privately until about first grade or so; they won’t have that much body awareness before then.)

I loved to read my kids picture books that talked about bodily functions in a factual yet lighthearted way. It made the subject less taboo, which made it easier for me to discuss with and coach my kids. The Holes in Your Nose, The Gas We Pass and Everyone Poops are classics, but your library will have tons of options. In fact, when I was grabbing these links for you, I found this book, and this one, too! So, you’ll have plenty of choices that can help you determine and articulate your family’s policy on gas. (I’m sure you’re thrilled.)

Also, I’m a parenting book junkie. I was reading about parenting long before I became a mom, and I know those books helped me proactively figure out what kind of parenting style I’d want to have. So, if this conundrum is something that truly stymies you, grab some books on body- and sex-positive parenting, like Growing Up Greatand Sex-Positive Talks to Have With Kids. And don’t worry; in my experience, having kids throws you into the deep end of all kinds of experiences around the human body. I’m sure you’ll find your way naturally via the trial-by-fire nature of childrearing.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate farts should not be allowed to raise children

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

trickybiscuits posted:

Anyone who doesn't appreciate farts should not be allowed to raise children

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably potential good parenting there in asking those kinds of questions. The little things matter!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It was probably in one of these threads I read that “those who don’t find farts funny are stupid because they go through life with less joy and the same amount of farts”.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mx. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8qtPtIfJs

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It was probably in one of these threads I read that “those who don’t find farts funny are stupid because they go through life with less joy and the same amount of farts”.

Yeah, but then you could apply that same logic to blinking or sneezing, and then the logic becomes a bit daft.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm not entirely sure it's meant to be serious.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but then you could apply that same logic to blinking or sneezing, and then the logic becomes a bit daft.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I love my dog so much that I will carry what's left of his corpse with me at all times

Hear me out:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA for insisting that a closed friendship breakup happened over the phone instead of over text?

quote:

Context: I (mid-20’s male) had a friend I was pretty close with (late 20’s female.) We were friends all throughout college, dated for about a year and a half, had a messy breakup, reconnected as friends almost a year later. So we’ve known each other for about eight years.

We were both non-religous when we first met, but I’ve gotten more religious in recent years. We had an argument about religion that got extremely heated. Cliffnotes: I think religion can have a place in community building, she does not. “Young people have better things to do.”

For a few weeks, she was distant. I kept sending her updates about what’s going on in my life, memes, etc, because I figured that our friendship was bigger than a text argument over religion and that she was busy/stressed. I commented on her only reacting to my messages, apologizing if there were too many, saying that it’s hard to maintain friendships and I was just trying to keep her in orbit. She thumbs up’d that, along with most of the things I sent her.

A few days after that, maybe three weeks after it all, when I told her about the dog I was thinking of adopting, she sent me an extremely long text about how horrible that argument was, that she was tired of me “acting like a jerk and expecting no consequences,” as well as some other issues she’s noticed since we reconnected a couple years ago (I “use her as a sounding board when I let the assholes I invite into my life walk all over me.”), and that she wasn’t sure she wanted to continue this friendship.

Of course, her behavior over the last few weeks hit me like a train after that, and I felt like an idiot. I apologized for initiating the argument and not interpreting her signals, and I said that if she wants to discuss this further, I would like a phone call. I didn’t say this (maybe I should have), but my reasoning was that this was an important conversation and I didn’t want anything misinterpreted or misconstrued, and I think actually talking over the phone would make it so nothing extremely venomous or hurtful was said. I wanted to make sure that if we were ending the friendship, it was on the best and most amicable terms, and I think that would have been with the phone call.

She thanked me for the reply and said that she would reply later. I was not up for discussing this further over text, since that’s what got us here in the first place, so I said that I insist we do this over the phone or that we just leave things be as they are.

She then said that she had considered talking more and sending me a nice text, but because I “issued an unwarranted ultimatum,” she was done. “For future reference, do not give ultimatums when you are not in a position to do so. Bye.” Unadded on everything.

I’m just in a very weird spot in my head with this and could use some outside perspective, as well as feedback for how I could have handled this situation differently. I am, of course, extremely sad. But the question is, AITA?

Curious about the things u/copaceticconvert is deliberately not saying here, but lol at trying to my-way-or-the-highway someone who literally just told you she's chosen the highway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for insisting that a closed friendship breakup happened over the phone instead of over text?

Curious about the things u/copaceticconvert is deliberately not saying here, but lol at trying to my-way-or-the-highway someone who literally just told you she's chosen the highway.

If he's religious why is he asking Reddit instead of, you know, god?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"We either debate over the phone whether or not breaking up this friendship is justified, or we stop talking."
"Okay, so either way we stop talking? Then we stop talking."
"Hey, what about our meeting?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

God didn't give him the answer he wanted

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for silently getting up and walking out of the restaurant during NYE dinner after I was told to pay for everyone at the table (my inlaws)?

quote:

I f32 recently inherited a good amount of money from my mom. I keep the money in a seperate account as I still haven't decided what to do with it and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I noticed my husband constantly bringing up the inheritance money and making countless suggestions as to how I should spend it. Another thing is that he expects me pay for nearly everything the past couple of weeks.

For NYE, My husband and I met up with his family at a restaurant to celebrate. It was going fine until I found out that I was expected to pay for everyone at the table. My husband's mom joked about paying for dinner out of my " inheritance pocket" which made me livid but I showed no reaction. Just silently paid for my own food/drinks. Then got up and made my way out of the restaurant. They were shouting after me like a crowd and my husband tried to get me to come back but I drove home.

He got back at 3 a.m yeling at me saying I was pathetic to get up and walk out on him and his family after they relied on me to pay for their food and thougt I was gracious enough to do it BUT they were wrong. He said I humiliated him and family and that what I did was an attempt to get back at them for not being able to help mom when she was sick. Not true is all I'm gonna say.

He is mad and is saying that I caused a huge rift between his family and me when it wouldn't have hurt me to pay for the celebratory dinner.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

NGDBSS posted:

Oh yeah, so he's just...self-sabotaging because he's an idiot? Still dealing with internalized homophobia? Scared of commitment labels like ApplesandOranges said? I'm grasping at straws here. :psyduck:

Maybe his family fawns over each S.O. he brings by, and starts breaking out the baby pictures, and 5 months is too little for him to deal with that poo poo.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Maybe his family fawns over each S.O. he brings by, and starts breaking out the baby pictures, and 5 months is too little for him to deal with that poo poo.

And that's why he shut down any further discussion on it for the next several days...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He only likes debates, and God hasn't participated in those since the Oven of Akhnai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

AITA for silently getting up and walking out of the restaurant during NYE dinner after I was told to pay for everyone at the table (my inlaws)?

quote:

what I did was an attempt to get back at them for not being able to help mom when she was sick

God drat hubby's family sucks. Hey your mom just died and we did gently caress all to help while she was sick but we should get to have a rad NYE party with your inheritance!