Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

yeah, the display industry needs to just give me a 10k:1 contrast ratio 16k 42" screen already

i'll pay about $500 for that

e: like, seriously how is it possible that we have like 4k 5" phones now starting to show up, but the standard on 27" is still 4k, and that's if you feel spicy

i got a bit of extra consulting cash this month and thought "oh yeah, i'll buy the good 4k 27" oled to round out my monitor setup". turns out that's basically not a thing that exists. and i cannot fathom why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i got a bit of extra consulting cash this month and thought "oh yeah, i'll buy the good 4k 27" oled to round out my monitor setup". turns out that's basically not a thing that exists. and i cannot fathom why.

if you’re okay with 60Hz there are a few available now (starting here and scrolling down https://www.displayninja.com/best-oled-monitor/#Philips_27E1N8900)

but if you want high refresh rate then yeah those panels are only available in 32” or ultrawide

considering how paperwm / gnome handles multiple monitors with different DPIs I’ve been thinking about ditching multiple monitors and getting an ultrawide that’s 2x 4K monitors wide when my 2011 Ultrasharp finally kicks it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

everything could be vectors at this point. we have the technology

almost all existing desktop environments use bitmaps though, so "lol lmao do it yourself" - some gnome dev, probably

i was very much a "everything will be vector graphics in the future" person, but there's basically a 1-2 that ends the argument for me:

1) high resolution bitmaps are as good. one imagines that with vectors you'll be able to scale things arbitrarily, but eyes are fixed performance, and *design* does not scale. you mostly don't want to scale an asset made to cover so-and-so much of your field of view to cover much more or much less. for reasons entirely different from resolution of the representation.
2) if you do bitmaps you can give designers and artists a good screen and tell them to make a thing that looks good. however they like. as long as they can make the pixels happen you can push it to users. they can go out and take photos or sketch on paper and built up from that smoothly if they want. vector poo poo places a bunch of irrelevant technology details in the middle, to no real advantage.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

yeah, the display industry needs to just give me a 10k:1 contrast ratio 16k 42" screen already

i'll pay about $500 for that

e: like, seriously how is it possible that we have like 4k 5" phones now starting to show up, but the standard on 27" is still 4k, and that's if you feel spicy

it is much, much easier to manufacture a tiny, dense display than it is to manufacture a large but still dense (for the size) screen. basically for phones they cut out tiny, flawless pieces of a larger display with dead pixels and poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i was very much a "everything will be vector graphics in the future" person, but there's basically a 1-2 that ends the argument for me:

1) high resolution bitmaps are as good. one imagines that with vectors you'll be able to scale things arbitrarily, but eyes are fixed performance, and *design* does not scale. you mostly don't want to scale an asset made to cover so-and-so much of your field of view to cover much more or much less. for reasons entirely different from resolution of the representation.
2) if you do bitmaps you can give designers and artists a good screen and tell them to make a thing that looks good. however they like. as long as they can make the pixels happen you can push it to users. they can go out and take photos or sketch on paper and built up from that smoothly if they want. vector poo poo places a bunch of irrelevant technology details in the middle, to no real advantage.

vectors are good and should be used imo,

1. to preface, i don't disagree with you here, high resolution bitmaps are good and mostly work fine. but they are huge (file and memory size-wise), and to make matters worse you have to store multiple versions of the same asset (for some reason just scaling a 4x bitmap down to 2x is impossible). vectors don't need to be huge, but they can be, and that's the beauty of it. you don't have to worry about scaling since most formats will respect your defined aspect ratio

2. you can create vector graphics much in the same way you create bitmaps. automated conversion has been around for decades but didn't really give great results because nobody really gave a poo poo. modern implementations are getting pretty good. i don't think they're placing a bunch of irrelevant tech into anywhere — on basically every major os, you already have built-in vector support: quartz extreme, by dint of display PDF, has native support for beizers even; kde and gtk both support svg; windows probably does too, but even back in windows 9x-7 they used vectors for some icons (using a couple truetype fonts, marlett being the most common). the tech is already there

honestly this argument is kind of moot though, knowing the industry as we do i would assume they are going to skip past vectors in favor of things being drawn stable diffusion style

e: expand points

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

corona familiar posted:

doesn't Apple ask for integer scaling with assets and then does fractional scaling with the GPU so everything looks ~okay?

yeah, in apple world fractional scaling only happens at the last moment, when the final composited frame buffer is copied to the real frame buffer. in non-integer-scaled modes, that copy involves a rescale as well

they do some kind of dark magic in their filtered scaling algorithms to make it look a lot better than you'd expect, even when doing things lots of scaling algos suck at. i used to daily a macbook air m1, whose native panel resolution is 2560x1600. treating this as 1280x800 @2x doesn't fit enough content on screen, so apple's out of the box (and my daily) config was 1680x1050 @2x. even though this meant the air was resizing the virtual 3360x2100 frame buffer down to 2560x1600 (a weird 1.3125 ratio), i always thought very thin lines still looked good. not quite as sharp as a non-scaled mode but still good

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

BobHoward posted:

yeah, in apple world fractional scaling only happens at the last moment, when the final composited frame buffer is copied to the real frame buffer. in non-integer-scaled modes, that copy involves a rescale as well

they do some kind of dark magic in their filtered scaling algorithms to make it look a lot better than you'd expect, even when doing things lots of scaling algos suck at. i used to daily a macbook air m1, whose native panel resolution is 2560x1600. treating this as 1280x800 @2x doesn't fit enough content on screen, so apple's out of the box (and my daily) config was 1680x1050 @2x. even though this meant the air was resizing the virtual 3360x2100 frame buffer down to 2560x1600 (a weird 1.3125 ratio), i always thought very thin lines still looked good. not quite as sharp as a non-scaled mode but still good

ah yeah that's what I had in mind, thanks. I'm also using a MacBook Air M1 as my travel computer and it defaulted to 1440x900 for me (so 1.778 ratio?) and it looks ~fine

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

corona familiar posted:

ah yeah that's what I had in mind, thanks. I'm also using a MacBook Air M1 as my travel computer and it defaulted to 1440x900 for me (so 1.778 ratio?) and it looks ~fine

oh right i misspoke, it was definitely 1440

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

apple asks for integer scaling (2x, 3x, etc.) for assets but yes eventually does fractional scaling with quartz extreme (if that's what it's even called anymore)

this is despite quartz extreme natively supporting vector graphics since like 2002

there was a macos version - i want to say 10.4 or 10.5 ish - where there was work in progress on vector rendering of all ui widgets in the public developer prereleases, but it got completely removed by release and never saw the light of day again

i assume apple shitcanned it because it didn't work as well as hoped. that, or weird internal politics, which i assume apple has because what company that large doesn't

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

the objectively correct logical pixel standard for computer monitors is 2560x1440. an ideal high-resolution computer display would simply 2x2 this standard and call it a day. unfortunately this does not exist as a mass market product, so for all practical purposes you cannot buy a display with a 5120x2880 physical pixel grid. i've been waiting for this to come to market for almost 10 years and it still does not exist.

???

https://www.apple.com/studio-display/specs/

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-ls27c900panxza

unless you're defining "mass market" to exclude $1K+ displays, in which case, fair. the pc industry has hosed us all on that one by refusing to adopt this as the standard 27" hd resolution

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the biggest thing with vectors is the same thing as with fonts. fonts have been vectors what feels like forever now and some fonts look like absolute poo poo if you set size below 10-11 on 96dpi if the artist didn't provide any hinting information, because plain ol' antialias doesn't understand why top line on a 1 needs to be just as prominent or it'll look like rear end

same with an icon, a vector you make at "normal" resolution will likely look like poo poo when scaled to 16x16px if you don't take that poo poo into account

and then you get into subpixel antialiasing, which is absolutely required on a display as sparse as the average desktop monitor

Jonny 290 posted:

view distance is much closer on the phone, there's no point for 8k monitors/tvs because our eyes arent that good.
you're thinking too small, i want a 42" screen for my pc lol

also, this was true for a long time because LCD contrast has been absolute rear end for the last 20 years, but now we have ips black tech and usable oleds coming our way in the near future. as contrast gets better, so will your perception of details

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BobHoward posted:

there was a macos version - i want to say 10.4 or 10.5 ish - where there was work in progress on vector rendering of all ui widgets in the public developer prereleases, but it got completely removed by release and never saw the light of day again

i assume apple shitcanned it because it didn't work as well as hoped. that, or weird internal politics, which i assume apple has because what company that large doesn't

it was in 10.4 through 10.6, even the final builds. in the developer preview you had to enable it with `defaults` but they removed that by the final release of 10.5, after that you had to use the quartz extreme debug utility. it was removed in 10.7, yet another bullet point in its favor for being the worst release of os x

but it looked and worked fine in both directions (scaling up and scaling down; i also used the feature to scale the ui down to fit on an eee pc). idk what the specific reasoning was for removing it, but i assume it had something to do with then-in-development hidpi ios expecting 2x bitmaps, even though the iphone 4 and ipad 3 were released quite a while afterwards

also being display PDF at the core, all of the vector assets were pdfs, so maybe they had some problem with that :shrug:

e: actually thinking about it some more, ios was probably the culprit. they likely thought they couldn't reliably scale pdfs on the fly at 60 fps on mobile hardware at the time, and they probably would've been right (the ipad 3 couldn't even keep up with scaling bitmaps ffs). but nearly 20 years later their laptops are literally the same as their mobile hardware

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 6, 2024

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
About those vector icons (2011)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Apple realized that bitmaps are better because they use more space, and they markup storage 400%

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

(best spend all your day looking at clocks and using a calculator).

but x48 doesn’t use gnome?!?!?!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beeftweeter posted:

almost all existing desktop environments use bitmaps though, so "lol lmao do it yourself" - some gnome dev, probably

Apple these days makes very extensive use of “symbols” which are essentially composable single-color vector icons rendered using the same engine as fonts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

because 4K is right for 24in, if you want 27in you want 5K

my 5K Studio Display is easily worth every penny I paid, it’s easily the best display I’ve ever had (though the 6K XDR looks even better)

the second best was my iMac Pro, third best the 5K iMac that it replaced, and the fourth best is the Dell P2415Q of which I got several for under $500 new

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

Apple these days makes very extensive use of “symbols” which are essentially composable single-color vector icons rendered using the same engine as fonts

wow, literally the same technology introduced in windows 95

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

because 4K is right for 24in, if you want 27in you want 5K

this is true though. they're just about the sweet spot for density + resolution

as i've said repeatedly i love my 12" 4k OLED laptop, but i realize that's not for everyone. the sizes/dpi eschaton mentioned should work for just about anyone though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

does anyone have the reiserfs murders your wife wikipedia screenshot? i can't find it. many thanks in advance

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

does anyone have the reiserfs murders your wife wikipedia screenshot? i can't find it. many thanks in advance
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=209063556&title=Comparison_of_file_systems#Features

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oh yeah you can just do that, duh. thanks!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

spankmeister posted:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

shackleford posted:

yeah let's see those same build timings but with mitigations=off

find out how much CPU speed intel stole from us with their insecure chip designs and/or how efficient and optimized the kernel developers were able to make the mitigations, like presumably compiling kernels is the top workload that kernel developers optimize the poo poo out of

Default Debian Install

ryanrs posted:

code:
[    0.090391] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.090393] Spectre V2 : Mitigation: IBRS
[    0.090394] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 / SpectreRSB mitigation: Filling RSB on context switch
[    0.090395] Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 / SpectreRSB : Filling RSB on VMEXIT
[    0.090396] RETBleed: Mitigation: IBRS
[    0.090398] Spectre V2 : mitigation: Enabling conditional Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier
[    0.090400] Spectre V2 : User space: Mitigation: STIBP via prctl
[    0.090401] Speculative Store Bypass: Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
[    0.090414] MDS: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090416] TAA: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090417] MMIO Stale Data: Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers
[    0.090430] GDS: Mitigation: Microcode

code:
make clean; time make -j20 world
real    9m27.204s
user   38m52.584s
sys     6m23.892s

real    9m25.365s
user   38m50.611s
sys     6m22.911s

real    9m28.691s
user   38m58.133s
sys     6m25.242s

With mitigations=off

code:
ryan@alice:~$ uname -a
Linux alice 6.1.0-20-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.85-1 (2024-04-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux

ryan@alice:~$ cat /proc/cmdline 
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-20-amd64 root=UUID=38c22b7d-9f83-4c2d-a9fb-55f54b220bfb ro quiet mitigations=off

ryan@alice:~$ sudo dmesg | egrep -i 'spectre|meltdown|mitigat|microcode|vuln|specul'
[    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x2007006, date = 2023-03-06
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-20-amd64 root=UUID=38c22b7d-9f83-4c2d-a9fb-55f54b220bfb ro quiet mitigations=off
[    0.024304] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-20-amd64 root=UUID=38c22b7d-9f83-4c2d-a9fb-55f54b220bfb ro quiet mitigations=off
[    0.090398] Spectre V2 : User space: Vulnerable
[    0.090400] Speculative Store Bypass: Vulnerable
[    0.090413] GDS: Vulnerable
[    0.942078] microcode: sig=0x50654, pf=0x1, revision=0x2007006
[    0.942161] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

real    8m45.336s
user   35m41.568s
sys     4m36.420s

real    8m44.941s
user   35m43.302s
sys     4m32.303s

real	8m43.821s
user	35m35.378s
sys	4m31.344s

Cost of Mitigations

+8.1% wall time
+12.6% cpu time

CPU is an Intel Xeon Silver 4114, 10-core Skylake.

These builds were all/almost-all CCache hits, with little real compilation.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

neat, that was interesting

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

don't know how to write that in yospos without sounding sarcastic

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

10% slowdown is the perfect amount to argue about endlessly.

It's not catastrophic, but those mfers did steal one of my cores.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
all those “vulnerabilities” they’re mitigating are just speculative anyway, wake me up when they actually happen :rolleyes:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I handle this by only giving randoms accounts on emulated systems that are run at 1:1 performance relative to the original hardware

a VAXstation 4000 m60 is plenty fast, but not fast enough to trick the VM host into revealing anything it shouldn’t

as a bonus my power draw stays relatively low

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

all those “vulnerabilities” they’re mitigating are just speculative anyway, wake me up when they actually happen :rolleyes:

wake from suspend simply does not work properly at this time

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Suspend deez nuts, bithc!!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

wake from suspend simply does not work properly at this time

we’ll note this in the wiki and give the device full Linux compatibility marks. case closed

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
parallel: Warning: Reading 11669 arguments took longer than 10 seconds.
parallel: Warning: Consider removing --bar.

No. :colbert:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that's 6.9 releases too many

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:nice:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

still using kernel 2.4 over here works on my machien

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
probe my core dump, linux daddy

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

linux cursed me to a life of misery. gently caress linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

outhole surfer posted:

linux cursed me to a life of misery. gently caress linux.

it could be worse. it could be mac os