Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

Only very very very lightly. I just don't think about it or try to compare. I paid a lot for my OG and I love it and use it daily. I'm not in a position to turn around and pay another 700-800 for a new one. Plus, it took me ages to set up all the emulation.

I think I'm lucky that I don't so much get FOMO type feelings. That said, if you're looking to buy your first, I'd probably recommend getting the oled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Squiggle posted:

Honestly, the battery life on the OLED is worth it as much or more than the screen itself. It's absolutely noticeably larger.

100%. The screen is real nice but the battery just may be nicer for me. I'm not one to really care that much about graphics or notice the difference usually, but it is more premium feeling than the LCD. Also the increased refresh is nice but 60 really is plenty for a small screen device IMO.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
poo poo I didn't know the OLED also went to 90 Hz :gonk:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Grumbles posted:

Apologies if this is a regular question in this thread, but the refurbs are back in stock, which means I'm torn between a 512 LED and stretching for the OLED. How do we feel about the OLED? Is/has it been worth the extra £££ to people here? Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

if you can afford the difference then go for it 100%. all the little changes really add up. and some of the games really pop on the oled screen. i just played case of the golden idol on it and, yeah. looked very good.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

An LCD Deck is fine so long as you never ever look at an OLED Deck. If you don't know what you're missing out on you won't feel the pain. But the moment you see the two side by side you can't go back to LCD.

This is especially true if you see the OLED running a game where the perfect beep ink blacks completely change the presentation

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Grumbles posted:

Apologies if this is a regular question in this thread, but the refurbs are back in stock, which means I'm torn between a 512 LED and stretching for the OLED. How do we feel about the OLED? Is/has it been worth the extra £££ to people here? Do LED owners feel the pang of OLED envy?

The OLED screen as such is imo not relevant/overly amazing, LCD screen visuals are good enough in terms of speed, colors, brightness.

However the OLED version of the deck is also

+lighter
+faster
+larger screen
+90Hz
+slightly better battery life (still not overly amazing really)
+multicolor LED
+red power button
+different stick haptics (still unsure if I find them better... they're just different)

all those factors, especially the first 4 are an amazing upgrade over the LCD version.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I haven't played anything that does 90hz on the deck, but a lot of things manage 45hz. I guess having that as an integer multiple option is an advantage.

The 1tb model comes with a different case too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Animal posted:

This is especially true if you see the OLED running a game where the perfect beep ink blacks completely change the presentation

I played Silent Hill 2 on LCD deck and Silent Hill 3 on OLED and the difference was huge. Can't imagine going back.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I prefer my old school steam deck's sophisticated temperament, it's fluidity and dynamic flair :smug:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm perfectly happy with my lcd deck but then again I use my ps5 on a 10+ year old 1080p TV and think games on it look great, so I'm probably not the best answer for this

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The HDR on the OLED model is surprisingly good too, with Lies of P and FF7 Remake looking particularly nice on it.

The LCD model was the best handheld I'd used, but the OLED improves on it in pretty much every way possible. In the end for me, it's the combination of the quieter fan meaning I don't have to mess with TDP much and the significantly longer battery life meaning I don't have to mess with TDP much that are the actual biggest improvements, alongside the brighter screen combining to make it so much simpler to deal with when out and about.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I just played Deep Rock Galactic Survivor for 30 minutes and my battery sat at 99% the entire time. I booted into desktop mode and the health is at 84% - I'm pretty certain that none of my games will let me play that long without some battery drain so I'm wondering if anyone's seen this bug or a solution to it. I googled but all anyone is talking about is their battery draining too quickly. Any thoughts?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Weird, woke my deck up and the Game Mode wanted me to sign in. Then it told me I was already signed in.

Then when I went to play NMS it spat out a bunch of errors about not displaying this page.

Booted to desktop for my weekly BG3 session and everything seems fine :shrug:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone else’s Deck not wanting to start after the update today? Mine gets stuck on the loading screen. If I hold down the three dots button when pressing power and then selecting ‘current’ it starts fine.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I bought Hades II after telling myself I'd wait for v1.0 and I guess I just haven't played many fast-paced games or games that use the X button... But this thing sticks like crazy! It seems like it gets stuck on the plastic around the button, like the button shifts down when I press it and slides under the plastic bezel, maybe? Do I gotta send it away for repair? This is on a 2-month-old 512GB OLED.

Also Hades II looks incredible on this dang thing!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

New update breaks the gently caress out of gaming mode if you have Decky installed FWIW. I had to boot in to desktop and re-run the installer to grab an updated version, which fixed everything.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

apophenium posted:

I bought Hades II after telling myself I'd wait for v1.0 and I guess I just haven't played many fast-paced games or games that use the X button... But this thing sticks like crazy! It seems like it gets stuck on the plastic around the button, like the button shifts down when I press it and slides under the plastic bezel, maybe? Do I gotta send it away for repair? This is on a 2-month-old 512GB OLED.

Also Hades II looks incredible on this dang thing!

This is not normal. Assuming you don't have hammers for thumbs, your button is wonky. Pretty sure you'll want to get that taken care of while you're in the warranty window.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Vegastar posted:

New update breaks the gently caress out of gaming mode if you have Decky installed FWIW. I had to boot in to desktop and re-run the installer to grab an updated version, which fixed everything.

Weird, the only non Steam thing I have installed is emudeck and mine is broken too. I’m gonna try reverting to the previous os version.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My deck just gave me a black screen of death scare but I just got it to boot by doing the vol- key + ... key

I was trying to go into desktop mode from gaming mode and it just went black, gonna see about updating decky and all that..

Edit: it happened again :ohdear:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 8, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i don't know if it's happening for anyone else, but that update is showing up as a beta channel update. i am only set to install stable, so maybe that's part of the issue?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

harrygomm posted:

i don't know if it's happening for anyone else, but that update is showing up as a beta channel update. i am only set to install stable, so maybe that's part of the issue?

I open palm slammed the update, but yes in the brief moment before it went black to install, it said beta update (patch notes too) even though I am on stable now.

So yeah don't open palm slam the update button like that, I'm dumb.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It got me when I switched to desktop mode to transfer some files and Steam auto-updated. I'm on the Stable update channel as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Mine is being stupid about that update too and it borked both my decky install and my display driver settings so I need to see if the hard reset stated above will get it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

DildenAnders posted:

Will a $300 laptop play games like a deck?

This is kinda where I found myself; I have a Switch already and had to ditch my (modest) gaming PC when I moved last year. I saved my controllers and games and bought another PS4 Pro, but there are still a couple things I missed playing (plus wanting to die when I used autoCAD on my laptop).

I was and still am tempted by the Deck, but I’d hardly be doing any mobile gaming, it’d have probably been played docked with my TV 90% of the time.

I looked at laptops (again, largely kinda pointless for my situation) thinking at least I can easily take it with me when I move next time, but you don’t get that much for your money, the GPUs are underpowered compared to the desktop versions, and they have little to no upgradeability.

In the end I just spent $95 putting together another modest desktop from Marketplace that is slightly better than what I had before. It’s an i5 4670k (or something like that) with a GTX 970 and 32 GB of RAM. By no means a powerhouse and a bit less than a Deck, but good enough for my needs and fit the budget. I can always upgrade it as my budget/needs change.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Mine is being stupid about that update too and it borked both my decky install and my display driver settings so I need to see if the hard reset stated above will get it.

I had to sit there with my ear on the vent pressing and holding the power button for ten seconds until it successfully powered fully down, then I booted with the ... + volume down

Best of luck

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

In the end I just spent $95 putting together another modest desktop from Marketplace that is slightly better than what I had before. It’s an i5 4670k (or something like that) with a GTX 970 and 32 GB of RAM. By no means a powerhouse and a bit less than a Deck, but good enough for my needs and fit the budget. I can always upgrade it as my budget/needs change.

As in Facebook marketplace?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vegastar posted:

yeah i tried to open youtube had an error cannot display screen and there was no way out, even trying to get into library didn't work. i restarted a few times, updated some decky plugins and then loaded another game instead of youtube, and it started working fine. not sure what happened but i assume once the css loader types of decky plugins are updated then it will work normally

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I changed out my old decal for a new one today, I’ll just look at it because I’m too scared to turn it on now

fitting after finishing up both dave the diver & dredge

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tweak posted:

I changed out my old decal for a new one today, I’ll just look at it because I’m too scared to turn it on now

fitting after finishing up both dave the diver & dredge

That’s gorgeous

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Tenkaris posted:

As in Facebook marketplace?

Yeah, $50 for the desktop (was someone’s media server I think) and $45 for the GPU. The 970 may well be the optimum price:performance card for budget builds, is what I had before too.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Commander Keene posted:

It got me when I switched to desktop mode to transfer some files and Steam auto-updated. I'm on the Stable update channel as well.

This is what happened to me too. Does it usually auto install updates when you go into desktop mode?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
replaying Yakuza Like A Dragon on the steamdeck is like a godsend because I forgot about the sheer amount of long-winded tutorials that comprise the first like 15 hours of the game

you don't even get to change jobs until loving chapter five!!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hard to imagine a game I liked that I’d have less interest in replaying than that

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So! Display issue fixed, the update borked the connection to the tv so bad I had to connect the deck to my office monitor, open `~/.config/gamescope/modes.cfg, and then copy the working monitor line over the tv's incorrect one.

Absolute pig's arse, but it beats the potato of a win11 computer I was gonna have to use (before I could square off that HTPC build I've been promising myself) if I couldn't get it going.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

frogbs posted:

This is what happened to me too. Does it usually auto install updates when you go into desktop mode?
Desktop Steam usually installs updates when you launch it, yes, and going into desktop mode auto-launches desktop Steam. I assume there's a setting in there you can tick to turn that behavior off, I just haven't needed to before now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

is it safe to turn my steam deck on lol

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is this issue with a Decky update or a Steam Deck update?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, $50 for the desktop (was someone’s media server I think) and $45 for the GPU. The 970 may well be the optimum price:performance card for budget builds, is what I had before too.

In my humble opinion the 1060 and 1080ti each hold a piece of that pie, but the 970 is right there too. My son has one in his gaming PC and as long as you are sticking to 1080p and keep the settings sane, it works great.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is it safe to turn my steam deck on lol

i don't know for sure, but the update is not showing as a stable branch update rather than a beta on my end now. i auto launch to gaming mode though and have just not installed the update and been ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yes as long as you don't update you should be fine, and even if you did update, as long as you can boot into gaming mode and don't try switching to desktop mode, it will work. Also, if your desktop mode is still launching steam that will cause steam to update too, so the general advice is just don't touch desktop mode.

I'm hoping another update fixes it because obviously not being able to go onto desktop mode at all is not a very tenable situation to be in and it would be nice to fix it without just doing a clean install.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 8, 2024