Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That shark prop in the first one is scary as poo poo for me to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
“Jaws at Sea World” should be cool but just isn’t. It’s the type of movie where if you saw it on a weekend afternoon on TV when you were a kid it seemed really awesome but it absolutely does not hold up.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I quite liked the 47 Metres Down sequel, it had a full on Mario Bros underwater whirlpool sequence

grobbo
May 29, 2014

david_a posted:

“Jaws at Sea World” should be cool but just isn’t. It’s the type of movie where if you saw it on a weekend afternoon on TV when you were a kid it seemed really awesome but it absolutely does not hold up.

For all the poo poo The Revenge's final scene gets, Jaws 3 very slowly (and repeatedly) approaching the weirdly-fragile glass of an undersea command centre like it's John Cleese attacking the wedding in Monty Python and The Holy Grail and then bonking to an instant standstill is just as good/bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arsAllZIa1Y

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jaws: The Revenge begins by ignoring the third movie entirely, informing the audience that Martin Brody died from fear of sharks, and one of the Brody kids gets eaten because the shark laid a trap in the water that involves knowledge of cow-tipping.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought Infested was pretty great. I love that they used a sort of camel spider type design on the spiders, and the movie was very well lit so that the CG effects were never over exposed. The spiders just felt very convincing in a way that they often aren't when you have oversized CG spiders in a movie.

The pacing was also excellent. There's a moment about halfway through the movie where the characters have to get through a hallway that's been completely taken over by the spiders and I remember thinking this would be part of the climax to a lot of movies but oh poo poo there's still like 45 minutes left in this thing. Once it got going it really didn't stop.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Basebf555 posted:

I thought Infested was pretty great. I love that they used a sort of camel spider type design on the spiders, and the movie was very well lit so that the CG effects were never over exposed. The spiders just felt very convincing in a way that they often aren't when you have oversized CG spiders in a movie.

The pacing was also excellent. There's a moment about halfway through the movie where the characters have to get through a hallway that's been completely taken over by the spiders and I remember thinking this would be part of the climax to a lot of movies but oh poo poo there's still like 45 minutes left in this thing. Once it got going it really didn't stop.

I also really dug this. It did an excellent job introducing a ton of characters really quickly but making them memorable and likable. There wasn't one "oh, I hope this guy gets it" person in the whole movie for me, they all felt like real people.

My favorite part was the spider in the bathroom, it felt like how people really react when you find a big, weird bug in your bathroom. Some people wanna save it, some want it to die immediately, and usually the bug refuses to cooperate with your attempts to capture it and set it free.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I also really liked it. Even the long final fight with the cops. Real happy the director’s doing an Evil Dead next

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

You just talked me out of a movie. Thanks for your service.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why that sounds awesome

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jaws: The Revenge begins by ignoring the third movie entirely, informing the audience that Martin Brody died from fear of sharks, and one of the Brody kids gets eaten because the shark laid a trap in the water that involves knowledge of cow-tipping.

Jaws the Revenge also features Mario Van Peebles’ character teasing a Brody kid by humming the Jaws theme at him.

Jaws 3 has Lou Gossett Jr’s Cajun accent. If anything, Jaws 2 fucks up by trying to be too respectable. The third and fourth movies are Universal’s attempts to make cheap Italian knock-offs of their own movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Why that sounds awesome

Some people (not me I'm brave) do be scared of spiders tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For me it’s bees and wasps. I can’t do em. I hate this time of year because of them lol.

I saw Jackass 3D and the bee tetherball freaked me out with the surround sound and 3D

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Splint Chesthair posted:

Jaws the Revenge also features Mario Van Peebles’ character teasing a Brody kid by humming the Jaws theme at him.

Jaws 3 has Lou Gossett Jr’s Cajun accent. If anything, Jaws 2 fucks up by trying to be too respectable. The third and fourth movies are Universal’s attempts to make cheap Italian knock-offs of their own movie.

One of my favorite parts of Jaws 3D is when two actors have to pretend a rigid fiberglass shark is in fact swimming in a tank with them by yanking it around a wading pool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

My life long fear of spiders is actually useful to me when it comes to horror because it's one of the few things that is 100% reliable in giving me the creeps. We talk all the time here about how tough it can be as an adult to find movies that actually scare you and spiders is just one of those primal things that will always get to me no matter how old I am. So I use that and have fun with it any time a good spider movie comes out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A Fancy Hat posted:

I also really dug this. It did an excellent job introducing a ton of characters really quickly but making them memorable and likable. There wasn't one "oh, I hope this guy gets it" person in the whole movie for me, they all felt like real people.

My favorite part was the spider in the bathroom, it felt like how people really react when you find a big, weird bug in your bathroom. Some people wanna save it, some want it to die immediately, and usually the bug refuses to cooperate with your attempts to capture it and set it free.

The smash cut from the climax of that scene to everyone outside the bathroom duct-taping the door shut got a proper giggle out of me too, just going from everyone trying to decide what to do with the spider to unanimous agreement that the bathroom is just completely lost to them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite parts of Jaws 3D is when two actors have to pretend a rigid fiberglass shark is in fact swimming in a tank with them by yanking it around a wading pool.

The two rules of shooting in traditional Red/Blue 3-D are "don't shoot underwater" and "don't shoot at night"

Guess where and when the majority of Jaws 3-D is set.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, and the shark destroys evidence in the third one when it eats one guy, then eats the other, then eats the inflatable raft.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Shrecknet posted:

The two rules of shooting in traditional Red/Blue 3-D are "don't shoot underwater" and "don't shoot at night"

Guess where and when the majority of Jaws 3-D is set.

It's perfectly fine.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The jaws sequels are pretty bad but they're also extremely funny sometimes

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It looks like The Stone Tape and GhostWatch are now streaming on Shudder, both are fantastic, but as British as imperialism and chips.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

mikeycp posted:

The jaws sequels are pretty bad but they're also extremely funny sometimes

richard jeni's best stand up act was just describing the plot of jaws 4 to the audience

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Well except for the crazy neighborhood cop guy

And all the actual cops

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Spiders are the thing that gets me, which is why I enjoyed the gently caress out of Infested while squirming and shrieking.

Basebf555 posted:

My life long fear of spiders is actually useful to me when it comes to horror because it's one of the few things that is 100% reliable in giving me the creeps. We talk all the time here about how tough it can be as an adult to find movies that actually scare you and spiders is just one of those primal things that will always get to me no matter how old I am. So I use that and have fun with it any time a good spider movie comes out.
:hai:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

drat new Koji slapped. First I thought we were doing the usual, then it was House of Leaves then it was what I imagine the Dark Universe was gonna end up being. Then that closing card. Goddamn what a ride.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

For me it’s bees and wasps. I can’t do em. I hate this time of year because of them lol.

I saw Jackass 3D and the bee tetherball freaked me out with the surround sound and 3D

I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings to where it's an ambulance trip to the ER if one happens. I don't even want to risk anything from a bumblebee.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

david_a posted:

this is in fact the only way i have ever seen it why do you ask

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I was not allowed to see Freddy movies as a kid, but, walking past the door to a showing of Freddy's Dead in the theater, I saw this graphic for a second or two before being pulled away.

I think I misread it, because for years, I assumed the movie was about a future where Freddy had killed every teen in the whole world. I built it up in my head as this horrific apocalyptic film, but it was actually just pretty dumb.

dorium posted:

Just started The Baby for the first time.

Joe Bob did this one and I skipped it cause I found the concept gross, and it gave off big "The Writer's Barely-Disguised Fetish" vibes, but the RLM boys have convinced me to give it a shot.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I was not allowed to see Freddy movies as a kid, but, walking past the door to a showing of Freddy's Dead in the theater, I saw this graphic for a second or two before being pulled away.

I think I misread it, because for years, I assumed the movie was about a future where Freddy had killed every teen in the whole world. I built it up in my head as this horrific apocalyptic film, but it was actually just pretty dumb.

Joe Bob did this one and I skipped it cause I found the concept gross, and it gave off big "The Writer's Barely-Disguised Fetish" vibes, but the RLM boys have convinced me to give it a shot.

Honestly, I think you just pitched an incredibly NoES reboot

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Baby is the one horror movie I just can't bring myself to watch. I know the ending and I genuinely did try when it was on Joe Bob but I was too tired to finish it and it just...I dunno, it upsets me on a really deep level I can't get over. Maybe I'll try again one day but I doubt it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Baby is the one horror movie I just can't bring myself to watch. I know the ending and I genuinely did try when it was on Joe Bob but I was too tired to finish it and it just...I dunno, it upsets me on a really deep level I can't get over. Maybe I'll try again one day but I doubt it.

It is a very upsetting movie and a very gross subject, but its so fascinating and it is genuinely well made. It was such a weird journey and its sub-90 minutes so it isnt a huge investment.

and yeah the RLM guys enthusiasm for it really pushed me over because I was ready to kind of ignore it and write it off as gross for gross-sake, but then it ended up having some actual odd humanity to it. I guess I'd align it with something like Gummo or Pink Flamingo's where it isnt the inhumanity that is the object of curiosity, but its the journey of discovery that gets you across the hurdles of the subject matter.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

one of the jaws sequels explains that the reason the shark is out to kill brodie's family is because of a voodoo curse lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNsFdzRP-vM

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the jaws sequels explains that the reason the shark is out to kill brodie's family is because of a voodoo curse lol

That's actually from the novelization

Baron von Eevl posted:

The dead shark roars at the end of the first Jaws.

FUN FACT: Spielberg put that as an homage to the first film he ever directed; made for TV movie starring Dennis Weaver called Duel. SO it's actually the sound of a big 18 wheel truck.

And not that I mention it, Duel is pretty great. Not really horror though I guess

The ending (spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunLPMBpxGc

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone should watch Duel, Duel is a brilliant movie. Maybe in my top 5 for Spielberg.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Duel is incredible kino

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1788328039622799432?s=46

Well well well. Who could’ve seen this coming.

He probably wanted A24 to purchase the land rights to a national park and run a semi-successful sleep away camp for a few decades before production began or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you haven't seen The STone Tape on Shudder you need to loving watch that poo poo. Holy poo poo is that a good British Horror film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Echoing that Duel rules hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If you haven't seen The STone Tape on Shudder you need to loving watch that poo poo. Holy poo poo is that a good British Horror film.

Actually watched it today and yeah it's dope