Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Gonna attempt to speak to this, but 0083 doesn't have the best script/plotting so its mostly just going to be excuses.

Gato I think in the OYW and maybe early on in 0083 is at least trying to act like he has noble goals and he's a majestic samurai man who just wants the respect he feels he and most of the Zeon soldiers were slighted from receiving. As the story progresses and he sees; the deals both Cima and Delaz have made to stay relevant, the federations gross divisions that allowed this bullshit to happen in the first place, and the fact that even with him "winning" and pulling off the operations he's stuck in the exact same spot by the finish. He's the last dude waiting on a suicide mission with no out, no glory, no recognition, no restoration of his "honor" and the nobility of the Zeon soldier. So in the last bit, he's basically lost the plot and isn't really the same dude. He's just here for revenge and bloodshed yes, he's out of options and what he says is no longer a reflection of what he's left with really believing in. His desire for them to go out fighting and maybe escape is a selfish desire for his legacy to be written by the losers not the victors because all he really wanted was to not be the villain even though its clearly who he and zeon are in the end. When he escapes from earth he still thinks what he is gonna do will make a difference and those guys surrendering will let them see the GLORIOUS FUTURE he will make. After he uses the Nuke and poo poo goes sideways, I believe he knows that won't be the case so why would he "lie" to his remaining soldiers to hope for a future where they can be seen as anything other than genocidal idiots, go out in the blaze of glory so you can feel your NOBLE spirit vs getting dragged by the world he couldn't change.

The alternative is basically your answer that the script and characterization is wildly inconsistent and Gato is just a really lovely villain the writers and directors couldn't quite decide how to present.

That makes sense, but why does he wait outside of the colony for Kou? It seems like he wants the big dramatic duel to the death, but then when they get hit by the Solar Ray, he leaves. Despite the fact that both suits were still somewhat operational after getting hit by the Ray, so the fight could have continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Caros posted:

It also shows undercover athrun in advance to foreshadow him knowing something is up and being there to save Kira.

The main what the gently caress moment for. Me was a single two second shot of freedom fighting one of the black knights inserted right before their arrival at foundation.

I am 99% certain it was a production error. Like the wrong scene just played for two seconds and the movie carried on.

I THINK that bit was supposed to be them training to fight Kira, but it's a real failure of editing if that was the intent.

This movie is surprisingly incompetently made on a foundational level. I'm thinking about Athrun saying with afaict no evidence "We can probably assume they can read our minds. And if we assume that it's safe to say they can control our minds as well." I know that because I saw the movie! How do you know that, you weren't there!

TheMightyBoops posted:

My WTF moment was them having a line of dialogue that Cagalli was getting into the Strike Rouge to help in the final battle and they even show her in the cockpit a few times, but I don’t remember seeing the suit at all.

We know she's remote controlling Athrun's Mobile Suit! Does the Strike Rouge have that capability?

chrome line fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 9, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

TheMightyBoops posted:

My WTF moment was them having a line of dialogue that Cagalli was getting into the Strike Rouge to help in the final battle and they even show her in the cockpit a few times, but I don’t remember seeing the suit at all.

She's sitting in it at Orb doing remote control on Athrun's suit so he can beat the mind reading.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chrome line posted:

I THINK that bit was supposed to be them training to fight Kira, but it's a real failure of editing if that was the intent.

This movie is surprisingly incompetently made on a foundational level. I'm thinking about Athrun saying with afaict no evidence "We can probably assume they can read our minds. And if we assume that it's safe to say they can control our minds as well." I know that because I saw the movie! How do you know that, you weren't there!

He assumes that because it’s the only explanation for Kira’s actions. Their whole plan hinged on Kira going past the boundary, so they must’ve had some way to make that happen.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

haypliss posted:

She's sitting in it at Orb doing remote control on Athrun's suit so he can beat the mind reading.

Oh poo poo. I bet this is what I missed when I had to go to the bathroom.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

u/Shinomourikenji1 on reddit

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Gripweed posted:

He assumes that because it’s the only explanation for Kira’s actions. Their whole plan hinged on Kira going past the boundary, so they must’ve had some way to make that happen.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Seed, is mind control a thing that exists in the setting before this? Kira is pretty clear in the moment that he sees Michael and is going after him, if I'm Kira's friend and I see him completely collapsed like he is after all that my assumption is going to be that he wanted to get the guy who's been destroying cities for months and maybe had a nervous breakdown, not that he was magically brainwashed

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

chrome line posted:

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Seed, is mind control a thing that exists in the setting before this? Kira is pretty clear in the moment that he sees Michael and is going after him, if I'm Kira's friend and I see him completely collapsed like he is after all that my assumption is going to be that he wanted to get the guy who's been destroying cities for months and maybe had a nervous breakdown, not that he was magically brainwashed

Mu is brainwashed into thinking he is a different person through most of Destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chrome line posted:

Yes. Various kinds of brainwashing and mind control exist in the setting, especially if you take Astray into account where poo poo Gets Weird.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Various kinds of brainwashing and mind control exist in the setting, especially if you take Astray into account where poo poo Gets Weird.

The first coordinator being reborn as a wise cracking hologram on a space garbage truck is really funny.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

TheMightyBoops posted:

Mu is brainwashed into thinking he is a different person through most of Destiny.

I'm did know about that, sorry. I meant like the kind that exists here. Where they just get scary eyes and Kira is suddenly crossing the border. Seems like a leap from what always sounded to me like fairly standard for Gundam Cybernewtype brainwashing, but maybe not. I admittedly haven't seen Destiny and only saw part of Seed, so I'm definitely not an expert. It just seems like a stretch to me!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

chrome line posted:

I'm did know about that, sorry. I meant like the kind that exists here. Where they just get scary eyes and Kira is suddenly crossing the border. Seems like a leap from what always sounded to me like fairly standard for Gundam Cybernewtype brainwashing, but maybe not. I admittedly haven't seen Destiny and only saw part of Seed, so I'm definitely not an expert. It just seems like a stretch to me!

I like Seed from the standpoint that it’s a soap opera that swings for the fences with ideas and many miss and some hit. I think all bets are off when it comes to what the writers might do.

Edit: also there’s like a ton of inter team production drama from Destiny on that I am not aware of but has effected plotting and story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chrome line posted:

I think we can assume that at some point offscreen Kira explained what happened from his point of view, where his vision went all evil red when he suddenly saw the bad guy and started acting super irrationally but then it all stopped as soon as the Foundation were able to spring their scheme. So it’s reasonable to assume that some outside force was loving with Kira’s mind.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheMightyBoops posted:

After Japan Orb gets targetted (again) she launches in Strike Rouge and I think it's called Cavalier III? It's a MS carrier like the one Meyrin is flying that presumably has powerful communications equipment considering Meyrin can do her Hacking The Mainframe moment from outside the base and Cagalli can remote control Justice from low earth orbit.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

That makes sense, but why does he wait outside of the colony for Kou? It seems like he wants the big dramatic duel to the death, but then when they get hit by the Solar Ray, he leaves. Despite the fact that both suits were still somewhat operational after getting hit by the Ray, so the fight could have continued.

Yeah I dunno. Best I've got is its another example of how hollow both Kou and Gato really are to the point that most of what they do is just them peacocking and once that no longer matters they don't really have much to bother each other about. Kou failed, Gato failed. Neither got to have the end state they were reaching for. Their duel mostly meant nothing, even to them. Both of them fundamentally misvalued themselves as crucial/special/important, when they were both just "a guy" in a lovely war. Maybe the director/writers just didn't want another series to end on a dramatic 1v1 duel when the setting of 0083's message is that's deeply pointless and unnecessary.

Except for like every UC war after that where a special kid in a Gundam resolves things in a 1v1 duel. 0083 is thematically weird in UC Gundam, I think it's got some interesting ideas placed at a point where they kinda don't fit or make a lot of sense with the canon story beats around it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 9, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also extremely funny that it's been 20 years since Seed Destiny and ships have been set in stone so they can't rock the boat and Athrun is simultaneously in two unclear relationships with women.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Eej posted:

Also extremely funny that it's been 20 years since Seed Destiny and ships have been set in stone so they can't rock the boat and Athrun is simultaneously in two unclear relationships with women.

He has a work wife and a real wife

Gripweed posted:

I think we can assume that at some point offscreen Kira explained what happened from his point of view, where his vision went all evil red when he suddenly saw the bad guy and started acting super irrationally but then it all stopped as soon as the Foundation were able to spring their scheme. So it’s reasonable to assume that some outside force was loving with Kira’s mind.

This movie asks me to assume a lot considering this is the movie that thought I would stop watching if I didn't know the Foundation was evil within a minute of first appearing on screen

chrome line fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 9, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

I am pretty sure there's nothing unclear about Athrun's relationship status at this point.

More to the point Fukuda said in an interview that Athrun and Meyrin are just co-workers. They share living quarters at one point but "Cagalli would know if anything happened."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 9, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Athrun has a cool future Ferrari and excellent sunglasses, that’s all there is to understand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Athrun has a cool future Ferrari and excellent sunglasses, that’s all there is to understand.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Alex Dino?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Athrun and Shinn get to be fun in the movie and kill the living poo poo out of Cosmic Era people and while it's still a hilarious trainwreck that's enough for me to enjoy it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Alex Dino?

I hope there is more Seed someday.

Edit: Another huge WTF moment was them killing off 2 members of the Dom squad within like half a second. Bullshit.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 9, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There aren't even enough major cities left on Earth to write another SEED story.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

There aren't even enough major cities left on Earth to write another SEED story.

This hasn't stopped UC stories!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Still waiting for any character to acknowledge that like half the Plants got nuked to oblivion late in the 4th quarter in Destiny.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
In this movie alone two cities get nuked another is space lasered and an entire fleet gets destroyed. Orb alone remains intact

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kira! They fired the Requiem II and wiped Sioux Falls off the map!

"No! Not the last remaining city in the Western hemisphere! *noise that vaguely sounds like a chicken dying*

SEED FREEDOM gets bonus points for not subjecting us to another round of Hoshisou crying, amazingly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah in the CE timeline you really can’t be reaching back to be sad about stuff that happened in the past, it’s enough work just keeping up with megadeath events as they happen.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Belgium doesn’t exist anymore, but have you considered that Shin has a cool motorcycle that he parks in his living room?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
After the destruction of the Cosmic Era, they moved everyone into various Earth-country shaped colonies while they rehabbed the Earth, and everyone used their genetically engineered psychic powers to develop special martial arts moves.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Kkomcce_otaku/status/1786766231829373109

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I did laugh at the picnic scene with the Haros rolling around, because they rode a motorcycle there so Lacus had to have actively been like, “Oh Kira, let’s take some of these fuckin things with us”

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Caros posted:

The main what the gently caress moment for. Me was a single two second shot of freedom fighting one of the black knights inserted right before their arrival at foundation.

I am 99% certain it was a production error. Like the wrong scene just played for two seconds and the movie carried on.

Well here's a fun one for you then: that's a flashback to an event that took place six months before the movie that they at one point considered animating as an OVA or short (think Witch of Mercury prologue style) but ended up not actually doing that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/DETONATEDcom/status/1788666787397013848

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Seemlar posted:

Well here's a fun one for you then: that's a flashback to an event that took place six months before the movie that they at one point considered animating as an OVA or short (think Witch of Mercury prologue style) but ended up not actually doing that.

I assumed it was supposed to be a reference to when they talked about the like, "Freedom seizure incident" or whatever but it wasn't even directly connected to that line.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm now convinced SEED Freedom is good

(I'm not actually interested in watching it though)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why not? Shrek 2 is the best one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Runa posted:

I'm now convinced SEED Freedom is good

(I'm not actually interested in watching it though)

You should, it’s very good.

And Seed Freedom is worth a watch too.

Edit: goddamnit Hammer!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Holding Out for a Hero > Freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I cried when the Mongo-RX-009 Psycho Gingerbread Man died.