Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its crazy how antisemitism has become a genuinely meaningless word now

It's actually synonymous with wokeism, identity politics, critical race theory, cultural marxism... so if antisemitism is meaningless, so are all of those!! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm watching the taskmaster series with him on, and whoever said he's an idiot trying to be clever is absolutely right. He either fucks up by missing something fundamental about the task, tries to do something clever that doesn't apply, or just plain fucks it up.

I went into it trying not to be biased against him (because A I used to enjoy him on Mary Whitehouse and B If I stopped watching any comedians with bad opinions on Corbyn I basically wouldn't be able to watch TV), but gently caress me he's dumb.

quote:

i've only watched the first season admittedly but are you sure he isn't Doing Things Wrong To Be Funny because these shows usually tend to have at least one guy like this on them

Yeah I've watched every series of the show and he's honestly one of the worst contestants ever. Keep in mind that this was an opinion I arrived at before I was fully aware of how terrible he is as a human being. It wasn't just that he was poo poo at tasks--there's always one or two contestants each series who are--but that IIRC he wasn't even a very good sport about being poo poo. Just placed poorly and tried to play it off in various ways but always with a sour edge.

In Taskmaster you can almost always tell when someone is trying to be bad at something or putting in minimal effort to be cool and when someone is just genuinely bad. He was 100% in the latter category.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Til Massive Attack, the band, has good politics. Dunno what the music's like nowadays or if there is any even

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Til Massive Attack, the band, has good politics. Dunno what the music's like nowadays or if there is any even

They're a bit Banksy but they're good eggs.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i've only watched the first season admittedly but are you sure he isn't Doing Things Wrong To Be Funny because these shows usually tend to have at least one guy like this on them

e: not that he isn't a dipshit otherwise

There are definitely contestants that knowingly and happily fill that role. If Baddiel was doing that on his series he was a) really committed to the bit and b) an incredibly good actor. Because at one point he said he didn't know where his hip was, phoned his brother who had just had a hip replacement and his brother didn't know where it was either. Plus he repeatedly forgot/didn't realise that some tasks were against the clock.

There were some tasks were he did pretty well - often the more creative ones - but regularly flunked the ones requiring logic or general knowledge. He's the most prominent of several contestants over the years that are very academic and cerebral but have absolutely no practical skills or basic 'street smarts' and so flounder hilariously.

So it's very in keeping with the image that comes across from his political utterances of "not half as knowledgeable or insightful as he thinks but has a reputation for being generically 'clever' so gets listened to".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Baddiel is the Wario to Nish Kumar's Mario, who was also dogshit but absolutely knew it and was just delighted no matter what he was doing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wario would never do a blackface with a pineapple. He knows the line between acceptable mustache twirling train robbery and being really inappropriate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Baddiel is the Wario to Nish Kumar's Mario, who was also dogshit but absolutely knew it and was just delighted no matter what he was doing.

Plus Nish did take part in one of the all-time best Taskmaster tasks, Write And Perform A Song About This Person as The Diverse Stripes. Where as Baddiel's main value was in how much he drove Ed Gamble insane

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nish and Josh Widdecomb are both doing a show where they work at a different local newspaper every week, both as a vehicle for comedy (they are adorably goddamn terrible at it) and helping to remind people about the importance of local journalism. I recommend it, particularly as dinner time entertainment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I appreciated Romesh trying his hardest but also knowing to not take the Ls to heart even while pretending to be furious about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is still the best moment Taskmaster's ever had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDA7yDv4UBk

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIovpUQiro

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tesseraction posted:

Nish and Josh Widdecomb are both doing a show where they work at a different local newspaper every week, both as a vehicle for comedy (they are adorably goddamn terrible at it) and helping to remind people about the importance of local journalism. I recommend it, particularly as dinner time entertainment.

I absolutely love it. Them desperately trying to present some dull local happening as an event of the century is never not funny. But also, local journalism is legitimately important and it's great to see it represented.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just posting so I can see my old posts lol. I mentioned alternative Eurovision events in support of the boycott and some headbanger apparently started saying it was a Russian disinformation campaign lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eurovision, the boycotts, or alternative events?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All of the above. Leonid Brezhnev invented Eurovision to make Euros look bad and they took one look and ran with it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Two elderly JSO supporters in their 80s destroy the case (not the document) in the British Library holding the Magna Carta

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/just-stop-oil-magna-carta-protest-british-library-b2542885.html

quote:

Two climate protesters have broken the glass around the Magna Carta as they called for the UK government to commit to emergency plans.

The Just Stop Oil activists were pictured hammering the protective glass around the 13th century document in the British Library on Friday morning.

Reverend Dr Sue Parfitt, 82, an active Anglican priest, author, and retired psychotherapist from Bristol, and Judy Bruce, 85, a retired biology teacher from Swansea then glued themselves to the encolure.

Wonder if the anti-woke will be out in force accusing them of "student politics" living off "mummy and daddy"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh no, if they destroy the bullshit world of dungeons and dragons constitution paper then the UK might have to write a real one, the worst fate. :ohdear:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's not exactly our country's magnum opus

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wait hang on...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I loving wish they'd chucked paint on it, would have driven those freeman of the land dickheads properly insane.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nah if anything had happened to it Rishi would declare that elections have been cancelled by the woke mob and stay in power until he dies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He would literally become the short king.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Honestly, at what point do we stop attacking pointless trinkets and escalate to attacking those in power who are maintaining the status quo?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Nah if anything had happened to it Rishi would declare that elections have been cancelled by the woke mob and stay in power until he dies.
Yeah but if you throw all of the rules out of the window then that might only be a matter of weeks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That is the rub of it, really. Although, HELLO MI5, I don't think political violence is necessarily the answer, AND GHCQ, not just because it's a double edged sword, but also this group of cunts would not feel scared into action, just into fascism.

We do not live in a police state en par with Russia, yet, but the current government has a rather prominent "gently caress the convention on human rights" tac of late.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if people started assassinating oil company CEOs I think that would just make them hide on private islands rather than stop wrecking the place.

It's kind of like immigration, even if the state is extremely motivated to try and stop it, economic reality demands it continue, and the state does not have the power to just turn off the supply of labour it provides. If they wanted to do that they would have to invest shitloads of time and money into reworking the economy and education, to maybe achieve relative autarky in a couple of decades, and the same pressures that reduce government to hooting about SMALL BOATS and handing out money to their mates make that impossible.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Excuse my ignorance but if The Magna Carta was destroyed Magna Carta would still have legal force, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know if it has legal force anyway, it's been superceded or repealed since it was written.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly, at what point do we stop attacking pointless trinkets and escalate to attacking those in power who are maintaining the status quo?

the trinkets represent legitimacy of the system, even if you went all v for vendetta and blew up parliament there would be 600 briefcase wankers ready to instantly take their place, the hard bit is building up a mass movement that you can overwhelm those in power without falling into the trap of just replacing the old guard with a new guard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even know if it has legal force anyway, it's been superceded or repealed since it was written.

With the sole exception to the right to trial by a jury of your peers, IIRC. And even that has changed a bit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

notaspy posted:

Excuse my ignorance but if The Magna Carta was destroyed Magna Carta would still have legal force, right?
AFAIK almost all of it has been overwritten by modern laws anyway, but no, it's not a magic scroll that stops working if you destroy the scroll.

In Israel news, don't bet on Eurovision being as pro-Palestine as you might expect:

https://www.threads.net/@glitterbeamuk/post/C6w5aGCi_jT/

39% support for Israel compared to 2-5% support for every other nation. Expect more than a few 'my heart goes out to the poor opressed people of Israel' before the night is out

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

AFAIK almost all of it has been overwritten by modern laws anyway, but no, it's not a magic scroll that stops working if you destroy the scroll.

In Israel news, don't bet on Eurovision being as pro-Palestine as you might expect:

https://www.threads.net/@glitterbeamuk/post/C6w5aGCi_jT/

39% support for Israel compared to 2-5% support for every other nation. Expect more than a few 'my heart goes out to the poor opressed people of Israel' before the night is out

i wonder how “secure” the public vote is because it’s just an app on the phone now? whereas before it required a physical landline or text ?

either way israel is a huge generational thing, most people over 50 love them and everyone below 50 hates them and i bet the oldies are voting for the first time ever in their droves

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jedit posted:

With the sole exception to the right to trial by a jury of your peers, IIRC. And even that has changed a bit.

Pretty much, and the "Liberties of London"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/Edw1cc1929/25/9

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Huh just had a market researcher round. Put me down as a C1 based on my part-time semi-retired job.
Oi - says I - you better upgrade that to a B. OK he says.
Didn't know they were still using those classifications (where in everyone 'retired' is automatically downgraded to an E)

Call me a snob :guillotine:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

When voters stop caring more about those trinkets than they do about other people's quality of life

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

New Labour MP too extreme even for the old Rugmeister

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Labour leader said Elphicke’s move was “an invitation that we should be less tribal in the pursuit of a better country and invite people to our party who want to join in our object of national renewal”.

i find it hilarious that keir can somehow turn a thing normally a huge coup for an opposition leader into a PR disaster

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

A quirk of the YouTube algorithm means I pretty much always have in my feed some American reacting to the song _Zombie_ by the Cranberries. I like the song, so I eventually click on it, and so in a day or two there will be another. Working as designed I guess.

Thing is, I don’t think I there has been one who, when they look at what the sang is about, wasn’t amazed that there was violence at a time people were making rock videos. They were all ‘surely that was all sorted out when Ireland became independent’?

Of course, plenty of Americans are history/politics students or hobbyists, and so more informed. Having a discussion on NI or the pIRA inherently means you are talking to someone who is aware those things exist.

Dude you are being disingenuous here, we are not talking about history students. Pick a random Irish-American and ask them who the IRA are. Hell there is an episode of Captain Planet about the Troubles - it's pretty terrible, but still, that was for random American schoolkids. Idiots commenting on Youtube are possibly not a representative sample here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

New Labour MP too extreme even for the old Rugmeister

And funny how it's no longer a problem three days later eh Mr Adonis?