Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

Well they're going to be "OP's kids" after they all go no contact with their mother
On a similar note...

AITA for telling my dad there will be no making up for missing my high school graduation?

quote:

I'm (18m) graduating high school at the end of this month. My dad dropped the bomb on me two nights ago that his stepdaughter (14f) has an award ceremony for some competition she entered and won in another state on that same day and that she really wants him to be there. He told me he couldn't possibly make it to both and since his wife and their children together will be going, he needs to be there too. He told me he would make it up to me and we could celebrate another time.

I still live with him (not for much longer). My mom died when I was 7 and my dad got married again when I was 11 or 12. It's been a few years anyway. His stepdaughter never knew her bio dad, so my dad has accepted her as his own. And he has prioritized her a lot in the last 5/6 years. It doesn't always show in the most obvious ways but it can be felt. Father/son time was put on an indefinite hiatus and instead dad told me we needed to include her in our time together but he also spent time with just her for father/daughter time. I brought it up to my dad and he told me I wasn't exactly making an effort to be closer to her so he wanted us all to bond and didn't want me to just focus on my relationship with him.

He has attended her dance things instead of my basketball games if they're on at the same time. It doesn't matter if mine was known about first, he will still skip my stuff to go to hers.

He will take us on family days and whenever he and his wife say "kids can choose" he picks her choices over mine. He claims it's because they will be the most fun for everyone but really, he even says it afterward, anything his little princess wants.

Our refrigerator and our shower broke at the same time. His stepdaughter's birthday was coming up so he took money from my birthday fund to pay for that stuff and so his stepdaughter would definitely get what she wanted (this barbie house thing and a whole fashion set and they were I think dad said $250). He didn't get all the money back by the time my birthday came around so instead he bought me a $30 gift card for Steam when he had promised me a new monitor and keyboard for my computer (that was a gift from my grandparents).

When my dad told me he wouldn't be at my graduation to go and support her, I told him there is no making up for that and he can forget about being included in my life going forward. He told me he would make it up to me and I told him I will always come second to his little princess and I'm not going to be okay with that. I told him he's discarded me for the last time. Dad begged me to be reasonable but I walked away. Then I invited both sets of grandparents who agreed to come. His wife told me I could have come with them and I don't need to attend the ceremony but could support "my sister". I said her daughter's not my sister and I do not want to support their family anymore and I will be out of their hair soon. She called me selfish and told me I can't deny her daughter a dad.

AITA?
I'd wonder how dad was intending to 'make it up to' OP for bailing on his high school graduation, but I know that he has no intention of doing anything to make it up, he's just mouthing word-noises to try and make this current hassle go away.

That stepmom has some brass, too.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FMguru posted:

AITA for telling my dad there will be no making up for missing my high school graduation?

That stepmom has some brass, too.

"Skip your high school graduation for your stepsister's award ceremony" is certainly an attitude.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
gently caress Cool Whip, where's The Stuff?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mystes posted:

Oreos are a knockoff of hydrox and I personally think that oreos actually taste worse than most store brand copies

Obviously Newman-Os are the most superior. :smug:

AITA: My wife gets frustrated that I don't wear my clothes in order.

quote:

My wife and I split laundry work in that I bring it down to the basement, load it in and change it over before bringing it back upstairs and my wife puts the clothes away when they're done because she has a certain way she likes to fold and put clothes away. Which to me, is a fine division of labor and effort in housekeeping.

The way she puts clothes away though has very little to do with clothes being accessible or organized by type and more about putting them in order so that every piece of clothing has a chance to be worn. Clothes that are in drawers get rotated into the closet (a TINY closet in our NYC apartment) and then new clean clothes go into the drawers to await being put back into rotation. There isn't any organization beyond this, our clothes get mixed into drawers seemingly at random. Pajamas with dress shirts, sweatpants in the same place as sleeveless tees. So, clearly the order is the important factor to her and not being able to find or access clothes you want to wear, so I'm forced to look through everything to find an outfit you want to wear. Though to her, I should be only choosing what to wear out of what is in the closet.

I can understand this to a point and have said I can see the value in this system especially if that is something that is important to her. That I appreciate the level of organization and dedication she puts into our lives at home, but also that I won't be told I can't wear the clothes I want when I want to.

I'm a comfort outfit type of person. I know which of my shirts I love the most and what pairs of pants I like them with, what belt goes with which outfit, etc. However, I don't believe I need to wear them in a rotation and not being able to wear (or find) what I please is very frustrating to me.

I don't rip them out of the drawers and leave the rest a mess, I always carefully remove them and put other clothes back the way they were.

When I take clothing from a drawer instead of the closet, it instantly sours her mood and the morning becomes very tense. To the point where she passive aggressively asked "Should I just throw out all your clothes in the closet?" and has not put laundry away for the entirety of this week because "What's the point? You're just going to wear whatever anyway." I might wear those clothes again, just not that day and yes, maybe a few can be go to donation because I'm not wearing them as much (Which is what I said in response), but to me, that isn't something to get so upset about you have a nasty attitude with your spouse over it and leave the house for work in a terrible mood.

I see this as controlling and she sees my behavior as insensitive. But me wearing clothes "out of order" does nothing to our home or health, and has no negative impact on our lives other than her frustration with me not adhering to her system. Is this her being neurotic and controlling or am I the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: My wife puts clothes away in old to new order and gets upset when I wear what I want to instead. AITA?

AITA for asking gf to see her bank account information

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years, living in my house. She's secretive about her privacy, even though we share a home. She never wants me near her phone. I went through it once and told her about it because she would flinch if I even touched it. She wasn’t cheating so I couldn’t understand what she was scared about me seeing. Before moving into this house last year She wanted legal documentation of our relationship, but I declined because a lawyer told me it was a bad idea. She asked for a joint bank account, which I refused because seemed like something sticky legally.

Recently, she stopped paying certain household bills, claiming she's just a tenant. When I suggested creating a budget, she refused, citing our unmarried status. I asked to see her bank accounts to understand our financial situation, and she accused me of invading her privacy. I told her that we shared a space, finances and I was her partner. She said she didn’t want a partner she wanted a husband. The idea of marriage is something I am not for I don’t see why the government needs to be in my business.

I went through her bank account anyways, I discovered she's financially well-off and bought a house without telling me. To me that’s messed up . I’m struggling financially because she stopped going 50/50. She rented out that house makes $3k on it a month. Then she’s living with me and only pays “fair market value” as she claims for a bedroom and only electricity. She used to pay water and doesn’t anymore and the water bill is very expensive. She's upset I looked at her accounts and wants to break up, but I'm confused about what I did wrong. Obviously I know I should’ve gotten her permission but, her being that upset that I know that she says money is something I don’t get. She started crying about it. I only went through her checkings account I couldn’t figure out her log in information for her savings or investment accounts and I’m sure they’re just as hefty.

AITA for taking my wife out to her favorite restaurant for my birthday?

quote:

My wife is currently upset with me for not taking her out somewhere cool for my birthday. That is not a typo. It was my birthday and I took her out to her favorite restaurant.

My wife has very limited tastes when it comes to food. We joke about her thinking mayo is too spicy and that she wants her Caesar salad made with iceberg lettuce instead of romaine. And maybe switch to ranch dressing.

I don't care. She is an amazing wife and mother. She just isn't a great person with whom to explore cuisine.

Our city has some really great Italian restaurants. Some are hyper local. Like one place has food from a town in Northern Italy. They use a ton of butter in their food instead of olive oil. It's fantastic. I get chest pains after eating there but it's worth it. My wife prefers Olive Garden.

Her and I often eat out separately with friends. Maybe once a month. My friends and I go exploring for great food. Her and her friends go to chain restaurants. There is nothing wrong with chains. They provide consistency wherever you go. I have had very bad experiences with new and flashy places.

The times I take her to dinner at places I like I have to spend time exploring the menu to make sure she can order and enjoy something. As long as there is at least one basic western dish she is fine. Sometimes she complains about lack of choices at ethnic restaurants.

So for my birthday this year I chose to eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory. She loves it. I'm not joking. We ate there when we were in Kobe in Japan.

She is upset that I didn't pick a place I would like. I have no problem with that restaurant and I wanted to enjoy a night out but I still messed up.

Can anyone explain why I'm the rear end in a top hat?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

gently caress Cool Whip, where's The Stuff?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Quackles posted:

Each of these three posts made me feel like I was going insane in a unique and flavourful way, good lord.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Quackles posted:

Both of these people sound like they suck: she's a passive-aggressive landlord, and he's probably some libertarian weirdo.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Quackles posted:

Oh wow, what is it like to be married to the whitest woman ever?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coca Koala posted:

Each of these three posts made me feel like I was going insane in a unique and flavourful way, good lord.
the birthday restaurant one at least sounds like they would probably be fine if they got a little couples therapy or something. the other two are something else.

I think the wearing clothes in order one is my favorite, though. If OP's wife wants to wear her clothes that way it's one thing but forcing OP to do that is just completely nuts.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
the birthday restaurant just seems like she's mad he didn't put himself first which is legit. solution is simple, take him out to dinner at a new exciting place after asking some friends

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Quackles posted:

"You put your clothes away the way you like, but leave mine in the basket and I'll put them away the way I like."

If this simple, obvious compromise hasn't been suggested then they're both incredibly stupid. If it has and was rejected then there is something else deeply wrong that needs addressing.

(What the absolute Christ?)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

My husband and two teenager sons are going away on a trip this weekend.

Since they wouldn’t be home on Mother’s Day, they gave me their gift early.

None of them are good at remembering events or getting good presents. Half the time they forget to get me a gift.

For their birthdays and for Father’s Day I try my best to make it special. So it’s annoying not to get the same effort back.

Their gift this time is not the worst one I’ve gotten but up there.

They got me a Mother’s Day card - with no message - and a cheap plastic rose - the kind you get at a gas station.

I thanked them for the early gift.

I don’t really need the clutter so I just tossed it out afterwards. I was planning on emptying the trash out later that day and but my husband saw that the gift was in the trash under some other things.

He got angry and said I was a bad mom for not keeping their gift. AITA?

In comments:

quote:

Your family bought you a crack pipe. This is actual grounds for divorce in my book. If my loving husband did that to me I'd be out the door so fast. NTA

(Unless I'm picturing the wrong item but I really doubt I am. It's a plastic rose in a little glass bulb right?

ThrowRA-Border-6787

I didn’t even know until I made this post. Another kind person pointed it out.

I’ve only ever seen them as gas stations so I thought they were just being thoughtless…but the disrespect is on another level

I am shaking with fury right now.

The_Franz posted:

Grandma's secret dessert recipe taken from the side of the Cool Whip™ package specifically requires Real Cool Whip™. Accept no substitutes.

I have a recipe for the maple nut chiffon cake my grandmother would make, and it specifically calls for Wesson brand oil, because the recipe came from the side of a Wesson oil bottle decades ago (it's a fantastic cake though).

(Bambi eyes) Do you feel like sharing?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"You put your clothes away the way you like, but leave mine in the basket and I'll put them away the way I like."

If this simple, obvious compromise hasn't been suggested then they're both incredibly stupid. If it has and was rejected then there is something else deeply wrong that needs addressing.

quote:

my wife puts the clothes away when they're done because she has a certain way she likes to fold and put clothes away.

I imagine this extends to his clothes as well.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

After reading too much of this thread, I think I'd break up with gf over mils weird brand name cool whip thing and passive aggressive bullshit. I mean, if I was thinking in the direction of marriage, I would just not want to be married into an rear end in a top hat mil situation. Because caring that much about cool whip vs whipped topping is loving insane, and there are enough people on earth to find someone where you're not marrying into that.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Miracle Whip calls itself "salad dressing" so it's not technically trying to be mayo. It was the only mayo we had growing up though.

My wife, from the South, has decreed that it sucks and Dukes is the only acceptable mayo. It definitely tastes better.

We have a family recipe that is known as Dad's Chip Dip, and his kids all loved it. Pimento cheese, deviled ham, and our favorite line was always "Miracle Whip to taste."

My wife proved it tasted better with Dukes.

And my mom eventually let us know that Dad just got that recipe from an old Playboy magazine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ominous Jazz posted:

the birthday restaurant just seems like she's mad he didn't put himself first which is legit

Why, though? It comes across as her transmuting embarassment into anger and projecting that at him, which is bizarre and kind of unhealthy.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The plastic-flower-in-a-tube in question:

Why yes, Amazon does sell crack pipes.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why, though? It comes across as her transmuting embarassment into anger and projecting that at him, which is bizarre and kind of unhealthy.

maybe i gotta unpack some of my baggage but it's the pits to be with someone who is always trying to appease you

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Steve Vader posted:

Miracle Whip calls itself "salad dressing" so it's not technically trying to be mayo. It was the only mayo we had growing up though.

My wife, from the South, has decreed that it sucks and Dukes is the only acceptable mayo. It definitely tastes better.

We have a family recipe that is known as Dad's Chip Dip, and his kids all loved it. Pimento cheese, deviled ham, and our favorite line was always "Miracle Whip to taste."

My wife proved it tasted better with Dukes.

And my mom eventually let us know that Dad just got that recipe from an old Playboy magazine.

Shut up, Leonard! I found your YouTube page. What's the point in reviewing frozen pizza?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The issue is store brand is the budget option for poors, so OP almost made his mother-in-law look poor in front of everyone.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Dukes is maybe slightly better than Kraft, neither of which hold a candle to the best big brand Hellman’s.

Miracle whip is an abomination.

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes, but entirely human. "I'm mad that you made me ashamed" is so basic a human reaction that it's just part of life. Now, I'm not saying he should fully respect it, or is obligated to it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

late to the party but for the love of god whip your own cream its cheaper; you get better results, and you an add in the amount of sugar you like and any flavorings you like (vanilla extract is the obvious go-to but try rosewater or orangeblossom water too they're great, or cocoa powder, or your favorite coffee syrup, or even just grate a little lemon zest in there there's a thousand things that take almost 0 effort that get you a real nice fancy whipped cream as result)

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

Shut up, Leonard! I found your YouTube page. What's the point in reviewing frozen pizza?

You're talking about it!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I whip up a fresh batch of cream daily. Sometimes more than once if i'm bored.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

They can't legally it mayonnaise, and I guess it must not quite meet the requirement for being "light mayonnaise" (either because of the fat content being low or being sweetened or something?) so it uses "dressing" but so a lot of other mayonnaise-ish products like Hellmans "Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil"

It's still an emulsion of oil using eggs so it's basically seasoned light mayonnaise though

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 10, 2024

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

have a post title that makes you feel like you're having a stroke

AITAH: For not willing to my house to my girlfriend after she put the her house up for sale is moving in with me?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

They should have bough mom CrackTM name brand pipes instead of generic cocaine base glass tubes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

AceClown posted:

AITAH: For not willing to my house to my girlfriend after she put the her house up for sale is moving in with me?

People called Romanes they go the house?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

house of the dad posted:

If someone is hosting you and asks for a specific thing by name, just buy the drat thing, even if you're an "it all tastes the same and I'm immune to advertising" level of annoying person.

This is the correct answer. It's an ESH situation. Mom was lovely and passive aggressive but OP was a loving moron that had a week to get the right item and still didn't get the item requested.

quote:

I then hear her say “I asked for one thing and he couldn’t even deliver”.

She's right. She asked for Cool Whip. Not store brand. It doesn't matter if you think there is no difference. She asked for something specific. Get her what she asked for. You have a drat week.

What I'll buy for myself vs what I'll buy for guests or as an item I bring to an event are far different.

kdrudy posted:

He tried and they were out so he got the generic version, that's it.

He had plenty of time to get it and waited until 20 minutes before the event. He specifically mentions waiting until day of.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AceClown posted:

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dear aitatits: if girlfriend dont sale house s how me a move in willing?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

maybe i gotta unpack some of my baggage but it's the pits to be with someone who is always trying to appease you

Please expand on this? (For all us people pleasers)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
why do you call it house when you of house eat the food in house sell the house

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

AceClown posted:

Yes, but why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?

e;fb

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Harold Fjord posted:

Please expand on this? (For all us people pleasers)

i like you for you and not for the way you do things for me
edit: i want to make you happy with a gift from me, you don't have to compromise if i'm asking this

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 10, 2024

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

FMguru posted:

quote:

She called me selfish and told me I can't deny her daughter a dad.
I guess there's no qualms about denying her stepson a dad.

edit: Or a mother, for that matter.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What if he puts something in the dresser he decides he wants to wear before something that's in the closet though?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
2 cool whipTM posts so close together? seems like cool whip hired a young hip advertiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AceClown posted:

Made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XCZfkGF8k