Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

probably wont be their worst olympics experience still

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

https://x.com/AOC/status/1788589645413937402

Part of me has to admire her canny in securing her spot, still a snake but impressive
https://twitter.com/aidachavez/status/1788597365315629335

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's hilarious how terrified the dems are of their voter base

the deal Augustus offered to the elites in his time was that they could still enjoy the prestige and prerogatives of the offices of the republic but he would free them from the need to depend on things like elections or campaigning and instead the offices would be assigned.

I think about this a lot whenever the democratic party organs talk about subverting and derailing the intentions of the voting public. Our democracy is intensely undemocratic, illiberal, and unresponsive to ordinary voters and this is often described as a good thing.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I mean lol at anyone who would be surprised by this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SixteenShells posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the poll data they're reporting on: [url][/url] but I can't find a table where they break it down to the level the clip is showing; they must have had access to the source data. I can't find a table that breaks down by who they voted for in 2020. However, the top-line split is basically 30/70 approve/disapprove, so that drop is potentially like a full quarter of the votes Biden got in 2020. I think that's likely the outer bound though, the real drop is probably lower.

losing even 5% of people that voted for him in 2020 is an election losing disaster

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stick a fork in Biden, he's been done since Halloween last year.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

losing even 5% of people that voted for him in 2020 is an election losing disaster
biden's [nominal] winning vote margin in 2020 was 40,000 votes across 3 swing states lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

the deal Augustus offered to the elites in his time was that they could still enjoy the prestige and prerogatives of the offices of the republic but he would free them from the need to depend on things like elections or campaigning and instead the offices would be assigned.

I think about this a lot whenever the democratic party organs talk about subverting and derailing the intentions of the voting public. Our democracy is intensely undemocratic, illiberal, and unresponsive to ordinary voters and this is often described as a good thing.

I think this is actually one of the big goals of the NGO space. It happens a lot on the local level. Public-private partnerships take over government functions (charter schools, poverty services, hell even trash pickup and the zoo) and then the private entities get public money but have no oversight over their operations. Government officials get to do their graft in handing out these contracts and then get to do absolutely no work at all in overseeing the services because someone else has that power now.

It's rampant in New Orleans. Your streetlight is out? Don't bother calling the city services, there is some private contractor in charge of that. Something hosed up happening at your kid's school? The School Board can't do dick about it, the charter school board controls that school. Garbage pickup didn't happen? Well, the city used to own a fleet of trucks and employ a bunch of workers to handle it, but we give $50 million to some rear end in a top hat to handle it now. Call him.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 19:20 on May 10, 2024

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

maybe we can get articles again in 2024 how dejoy is weaponizing the post office to sabotage biden's mail-in votes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Israelis and Biden definitely believe the IOF has enough weapons already to take Rafah. That is different from them actually having enough weapons to take Rafah.

Remember when Ukraine was well equipped for a summer offensive?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I think this is actually one of the big goals of the NGO space. It happens a lot on the local level. Public-private partnerships take over government functions (charter schools, poverty services, hell even trash pickup and the zoo) and then the private entities get public money but have no oversight over their operations. Government officials get to do their graft in handing out these contracts and then get to do absolutely no work at all in overseeing the services because someone else has that power now.

It's rampant in New Orleans. Your streetlight is out? Don't bother calling the city services, there is some private contractor in charge of that. Something hosed up happening at your kid's school? The School Board can't do dick about it, the charter school board controls that school. Garbage pickup didn't happen? Well, the city used to own a fleet of trucks and employ a bunch of workers to handle it, but we give $50 million to some rear end in a top hat to handle it now. Call him.

One of the big bipartisan achievements of the neoliberal era is the complete hollowing out of the state.

I've shared many stories like this before, but before I was a professor I worked at a public policy evaluation firm.

We had to evaluate a SAMHSA program. The CDC or SAMHSA itself probably could have done it easily. But they lacked the personnel, so it had to be contracted out, and congress attached a small business requirement to it. So a small business won the contract for the evaluation, but they couldn't do it, so they subcontracted it out to the big company that I worked at. When the company won that subcontract, they took the entire floor out to the most expensive restaurant in the city to celebrate it.
The amount of waste was incredible. They had librarians on staff to check references on our papers. They had graphic designers to design posters for conferences. And in the end 100% of the evaluation was written by me and 2 grad students making 17 bucks an hour.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

glenn defends hate speech
https://twitter.com/a_newsman/status/1788970846855254203

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1788986539113922646
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1788989241994719429

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

The Unwinding is pretty grossly (and I would say naively) pro-Elizabeth Warren but reading it back in 2013 was pretty foundational for my current political philosophy and a lot of it is about this kind of poo poo

as a bonus it spends a lot of time talking about how awful Biden has been for his entire career

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Scarabrae posted:

I mean lol at anyone who would be surprised by this

theyre only holding up 3500 jdams which is an afternoon of bombing for israel anyway

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

They would have found the one Palestinian who thinks being genocided rules and that would have been the voice

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PoundSand posted:

Haven't there been literal studies that show voters and their preferences have little to no impact on policy development. How does someone like this square that circle? Even if Biden wasn't a total piece of poo poo and I was merely indifferent to him rather than actively disdainful what's really my motivation to vote for him, it doesn't do anything.

Wow, I guess you love Trump. We don't need your vote!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I unironically enjoy (and watch) Eurovision (though pretty much only the big finale) but mostly because some countries don't take it at all seriously and some countries take it EXTREMELY seriously and both approaches can result in very funny things sometimes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I unironically enjoy (and watch) Eurovision (though pretty much only the big finale) but mostly because some countries don't take it at all seriously and some countries take it EXTREMELY seriously and both approaches can result in very funny things sometimes.

Doesn't everyone enter just one song? Do they all get together every week and sing the same song every time and then American Idol style cut them down?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't everyone enter just one song? Do they all get together every week and sing the same song every time and then American Idol style cut them down?

yeah, every country enters a song. There are a couple of semifinals where the lowest-ranking ones are eliminated which I don't usually watch and then the finale (which is tomorrow). I'm sure there's qualifying round s in the individual countries as well but I don't really know how that works.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/axios/status/1788980625199837356

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's actually insane how much backlash is being ginned up for the mildest fakest "rebuke" of Israel by Biden, who is totally letting them do everything they want anyway!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

whatever gets biden out of office.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Good Citizen posted:

probably wont be their worst olympics experience still

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's going to be extremely funny when they impeach the most overtly Zionist president in US history for not being Zionist enough

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

WampaLord posted:

It's actually insane how much backlash is being ginned up for the mildest fakest "rebuke" of Israel by Biden, who is totally letting them do everything they want anyway!

He’s hated by everyone lol another pr stunt failure

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

It's very Carter-like. Trying PR to "forge a middle path" that ends up pissing everyone off.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

docbeard posted:

It's going to be extremely funny when they impeach the most overtly Zionist president in US history for not being Zionist enough

oh my god i havent even considered this possibility

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They would have found the one Palestinian who thinks being genocided rules and that would have been the voice

Lol ethically twisted. Greenwald is such a dumbass.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

did Hamilton even have a message that made it particularly suited for being anti-Trump, or was it just a coincidence of timing that it became a liberal rallying point

I personally like how he's portrayed in the John Adams series (i.e. loving bat poo poo insane).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWBs46USqE

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

glenns right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shageletic posted:

he's right, actually

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gottheimer continues to be the biggest piece of poo poo in congress.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Why is Israel in Eurovision anyway? They aren't in Europe. Do Morocco and Egypt get to be in Eurovision?
Darling, i am sorry to break the news to you but :australia: AUSTRALIA participate in the Eurovision Song Contest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzpp6996QdI
You originally needed to be an active member of the European Broadcasting Union which covers more than Europe. Morocco participated in the show once in 1980 but hasn't participated since. Egypt could indeed participate but never accepted/wanted to do so. Australia is in the contest since they were invited as a "one-off" for the 60th anniversary and they accepted. Greenland could participate too. Qatar did try to join in 2008-2011 but it never happened. You just need an active Eurovision commity, really.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

He heard about the blockbuster NCAA game and is now looking back at the audience cranking the "support women sports" dial.

lol the women's tournament was way more boring than the men's. south carolina was too dominant this year, even moreso than uconn. the closest thing to an upset was 7 seed duke beating 2 seed ohio state. the whole bracket was cliffs of dover- pure chalk

actually there's a serious issue going on with women's basketball at the high school level where prep academies are hoovering up all the talent leading to crazy poo poo like 100-5 games

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

cnn interviewed brittney griner a few days ago and she mentioned the reason she was playing in russia in the first place is because they actually paid her a living wage unlike the wnba. apart from the prison thing she said she lived a far more dignified life in russia than she was ever able to here

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

insane clown pussy posted:

lol the women's tournament was way more boring than the men's. south carolina was too dominant this year, even moreso than uconn. the closest thing to an upset was 7 seed duke beating 2 seed ohio state. the whole bracket was cliffs of dover- pure chalk

actually there's a serious issue going on with women's basketball at the high school level where prep academies are hoovering up all the talent leading to crazy poo poo like 100-5 games

hell yeah. looking forward to the Doomsday School Sports thread

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Willa Rogers posted:

there's all sorts of quotes that allude to their saving democracy by preventing democracy.

the story laments the loss of michael madigan, indicted party mob boss:

quote:

With the demise of longtime Illinois Democratic boss (and state house speaker) Michael Madigan, though, there’s no semblance of a political machine here. What’s left is Pritzker, a billionaire who’s won two terms and can bankroll the party, and a handful of public employee unions, most notably the teachers from which Johnson emerged.
no longer do illinois dems have a political machine like madigan ran

they just have a popular billionaire boss who bankrolls the party and tells them what to do and who to vote for

this is different

because

uhhhh

black guy mayor i guess

Trabisnikof posted:

Good news for Biden's Climate plans: more expensive EVs, Solar Panels and Batteries!
i would love it if in the debates

that are going to be cancelled

the candidates were asked to define what a tariff is and how it works

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1788905234791612672?t=hf4abyhORJxXFdh1E6gzQw&s=19

https://twitter.com/DiscoxBloodbath/status/1788747552772296848?t=15YhdWVn0V55ovAL6aIibQ&s=19

It's not the biggest example but the Eurovision thing is the most obvious one when you consider that Russia was just completely booted out of it and that was just fine to these people

did a whole bunch of Russians get canceled solely for being Russian when the Ukraine war broke out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah I also think those college students should be cleaning up the courts, somehow, and that this is clearly more important than stopping that silly old genocide

fuckin boomers is2g