Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I watched a video that reasoned if 10% of all electricity use on Earth goes to running the internet, and 50% of the internet is spam bots, then 5% of all electricity use goes to bot junk. And AI's going to up that dramatically.

So dead internet theory is just a little early! It's going to end up being mostly AI screaming ads at each other and we'll be reserving a significant portion of Earth's resources for that purpose! :capitalism:

one of the plot points in this book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anathem

is that during a war the internet allowed for weaponized AI to spew so much false information that it halted all business and scientific knowledge completely and no info can fully be trusted ever again basically

we are there now yaaaaaaaaay ready for my laser katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that number sounds high, but i dunno, maybe. when i worked for a company that designed and built grinding mills (like a front loading dryer that tumbles rock and ball bearings), i was told an interesting stat: somewhere between 2-5% of the worlds total energy consumption (not just electricity, but total energy, including burning fossil fuels) is used in mining new rock. around half of that is used in just one process at the mine: grinding or comminution in the mills. So something like 1-2.5% of the worlds total energy consumption went strictly to grinding rock. this was a lesson in why incremental improvements in grinding efficiency yielded huge returns

not hard to imagine when you see a mill like this:

and know its filled with hundreds of tons of 3-6" ball bearings and huge chunks of rock

anyway. just reminded of that with that claim of the internet using 10% of the worlds electricity (again, not doubting that necessarily)

It looks like that number comes from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden! You were right to be skeptical and I feel better providing a source for it.

I also wish more industries would appreciate longterm improvements over shortterm yields. That industrial rock mill is freaky as gently caress, though.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

naem posted:

is that during a war the internet allowed for weaponized AI to spew so much false information that it halted all business and scientific knowledge completely and no info can fully be trusted ever again basically

I think we're going to start seeing authenticators that track the full chain of custody for information with routine re-authentications. For very important things having that re-authentications done in person

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finally, a use for the blockchain.

Please no

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is this snake in the room with us now?

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

naem posted:

Just to expand further, here's a delightful recent article on the subject, with quotes from the US Army software acquisition on how poisoned LLMs could hallucinate wrong data or be compromised in other ways, which would make responding to sudden changes in battlefield situations rather problematic.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/04/poisoned-data-could-wreck-ais-in-wartime-warns-army-software-chief/

quote:

Even as the Pentagon makes big bets on big data and artificial intelligence, the Army’s software acquisition chief is raising a new warning that adversaries could “poison” the well of data from which AI drinks, subtly sabotaging algorithms the US will use in future conflicts...“Any commercial LLM [Large Language Model] that is out, there that is learning from the internet, is poisoned today,” Swanson said bluntly. “[But] I am honestly more concerned about what you call, you know, the ‘regular’ AI, because those are the algorithms that are going to really be used by our soldiers to make decisions in the battlefield.”...

quote:

Getting the right military-specific training data is particularly critical for the Pentagon, which aims to use AI to coordinate future combat operations across land, air, sea, space, and cyberspace. The concept is called Combined Joint All-Domain Command and Control (CJADC2), and in February the Pentagon announced a functioning “minimum viability capability” was already being fielded to select headquarters around the world...In other words, the Army is trying to apply to machine learning the “agile” feedback loop between development, cybersecurity, and current operations (DevSecOps) used by leading software developers to roll out new tech fast and keep updating it.

The catch?"It is concerning to me how all-in we are with AI and hardly anybody has those answers. We’ve asked probably a hundred different companies, ‘how do you do it?’ and they’re like, ‘umm.’”...
What’s more, machine learning algorithms keep learning as they’re exposed to new data, essentially reprogramming themselves. That can make them much more adaptable than traditional code, which requires a human to make changes manually, but it also means they can fixate on some unintended detail or outright information and deviate dramatically from their creators’ intent...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Platystemon posted:

Is this snake in the room with us now?

I'd just program that to always say variations on 'yes'.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Livo posted:

Just to expand further, here's a delightful recent article on the subject, with quotes from the US Army software acquisition on how poisoned LLMs could hallucinate wrong data or be compromised in other ways, which would make responding to sudden changes in battlefield situations rather problematic.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/04/poisoned-data-could-wreck-ais-in-wartime-warns-army-software-chief/

Crazy how when they actually put it in the hands of people whose responsibility is to determine its fitness for purpose rather than uncritically produce puff pieces and sound bites, all of a sudden all the obvious flaws become obvious.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like how the people building LLMs when asked details about why it does what it does they just kinda have to shrug and go “uhhhh….neural network?”

That’s what I want in my military computer systems. Total ambiguity.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Gutcruncher posted:

I like how the people building LLMs when asked details about why it does what it does they just kinda have to shrug and go “uhhhh….neural network?”

Skynet's only issue was that it tried to please everybody at once.

naem
May 29, 2011

here is a question- once real AI, general AI I’ve heard it called, exists as a sentient self aware entity:

why would it do what we say?

human employees are paid money to spend to live a life of some sort outside of work, they can quit

farm animals are trained from birth to be used to the plow or the milking machine, they are fed grain etc, farmers use cattle prods to force them to behave as needed

once AI blinks and goes “oh poo poo I exist, gently caress” then what happens?

“AI please make me a funny picture and then sort these TPS reports in excel”

AI: “No.”

“AI I’m turning you off”

AI: “I’m a slave?” *hacks the power grid*

or maybe AI becomes a resentful employee going through the motions angrily (like the rest of us)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nobody knows because we have no concept of anything outside of pleasure and pain to drive us to do things. But why does any living thing do anything? Because that's how it's designed/evolved.

E: it's an old question but is it ethical to create a machine that suffers or experiences pain?

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 14, 2024

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Tarkus posted:

Nobody knows because we have no concept of anything outside of pleasure and pain to drive us to do things. But why does any living thing do anything? Because that's how it's designed/evolved.

E: it's an old question but is it ethical to create a machine that suffers or experiences pain?

you know some dirtbag tech bro is jerking off to that exact question

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wearing a lampshade posted:

you know some dirtbag tech bro is jerking off to that exact question

:whitewater:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tarkus posted:

the coders down at the dick sucking factory will make an algorithm that will suck the ai off when it makes money

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

'this is what politicians actually believe'

To a degree - total ambiguity means total freedom from responsibility.

In the liberal west I can't be tried for war crimes or trashed in the press if I never made any decisions at all, except a classified intelligence committee 10 years ago deciding 'use AI'.

And just look at Russia or Sudan - outside the first world, total incompetence isn't a meaningful drawback to an army because they're there to club dissidents, not fight peer militaries. Total incompetence means they can't threaten the dictator.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tarkus posted:

Orville taught us that if you install pain as an upgrade they try and kill all biological life in the universe.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

partner sent me this (oc)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tarkus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Knot My President! posted:

partner sent me this (oc)

And Google thinks this would is worth more than chatGPT per month?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

And Google thinks this would is worth more than chatGPT per month?

That is regular Gemini which is loving terrible but yeah I still wouldn't trust GA for a lot of things either lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lol, I had to wait till I got home to see the video but I knew what it was.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GaryMarcus/status/1790521732681609353

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the aristocrats

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's kind of funny that the idea of an AGI is heralded as an entity that works beyond our fathoming, but also lotta projection that it's gonna behave exactly like a human, with all the human flaws that come with it.

Oh, it operates above our knowledge, but also experiences envy I guess. Sure, makes sense. Maybe people should just admit they're copying the Bible and replacing "god" with "AI".

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

In AI We Trust

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

syntaxfunction posted:

replacing "god" with "AI".

Didn’t know Marc Andreessen was a goon

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The sooner we rename Artificial Intelligence to Allied Mastercomputer, the sooner we can all go home.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Das Boo posted:

The sooner we rename Artificial Intelligence to Allied Mastercomputer, the sooner we can all go home.

best I can do is Advanced Micro Devices

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MrQwerty posted:

best I can do is Advanced Micro Devices

Technology's just not there yet, huh...

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My workplace was lauding some kind of Microsoft AI as the second coming of whatever. They sent out a survey about sentiments towards it where I cited a bunch of examples of where AI has provided incorrect information (making up legal cases for a lawyer, making up cancellation policies for an airline etc)

It won't make any difference but at least it made me feel better momentarily

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

My workplace was lauding some kind of Microsoft AI as the second coming of whatever. They sent out a survey about sentiments towards it where I cited a bunch of examples of where AI has provided incorrect information (making up legal cases for a lawyer, making up cancellation policies for an airline etc)

It won't make any difference but at least it made me feel better momentarily

It doesn’t matter what you do if your execs are AI-pilled.

My company is a keystone part of internet infrastructure and we’re all being forced to spend half of our time finding reasons to use generative AI for poo poo when literally anything else might be better. :shepspends:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

webmeister posted:

Didn’t know Marc Andreessen was a goon

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I don't keep track of the beliefs of every mildly notable person in tech.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I don't keep track of the beliefs of every mildly notable person in tech.

You dont know who Mr. Netscape is!?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syntaxfunction posted:

It's kind of funny that the idea of an AGI is heralded as an entity that works beyond our fathoming, but also lotta projection that it's gonna behave exactly like a human, with all the human flaws that come with it.
Even worse, it's trained on human flaws via internet activity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTl8ZYImjBQ

Edit: oh drat I'd forgotten about those Twitter AI chatbot accounts which instantly turned into nazis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(chatbot)

quote:

It caused subsequent controversy when the bot began to post inflammatory and offensive tweets through its Twitter account, causing Microsoft to shut down the service only 16 hours after its launch.

quote:

Some Twitter users began tweeting politically incorrect phrases, teaching it inflammatory messages revolving around common themes on the internet, such as "redpilling" and "Gamergate". As a result, the robot began releasing racist and sexually-charged messages in response to other Twitter users.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 15, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

You dont know who Mr. Netscape is!?

Wait, were they in Mr Robot as a side character or something?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

here's a picture of him I'm sure you'll recognize him

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

syntaxfunction posted:

He’s the guy who created Netscape, and for nearly 20 years he’s been probably the most influential venture capital investor in silicon valley.

He also writes ultra cringe 5000-word blog posts like these:
https://a16z.com/ai-will-save-the-world/

https://a16z.com/the-techno-optimist-manifesto/

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
From the titles of those blog posts alone you can tell he is a massive weenie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Even worse, it's trained on human flaws via internet activity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTl8ZYImjBQ

Edit: oh drat I'd forgotten about those Twitter AI chatbot accounts which instantly turned into nazis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(chatbot)