Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I get emails for all sorts of joshes-04. One of them married a tech guy and sponsored a computing lab and I got a personal invite to a donar lunch with a Gates Foundation guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
did you go

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

killerwhat posted:

wheely bin all melted on one side.

is there a more perfect image of modern Britain

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mano posted:

shameful nobody recalling the gherkin melting some cars. And it seems they even made another one in London called Walkie Talkie.

Edit, maybe I should have read your post all the way to the end.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dead Goon posted:

I registered my Google email address many moons ago as firstname.lastname@gmail.com, and I occasionally get emails for firstnamelastname@gmail.com, for what it's worth.

Same, my google email has a dot between the first and last name, but I regularly get emails that are clearly sent to the email address written without the dot (which I can't otherwise access, to be clear). Sadly, it's never anything very interesting or entertaining. I thought about joining Nextdoor for some random community in the USA posing as my name twin when I got an invite sent to their email address arriving in my inbox, but then decided against it. Given nothing personal has ever turned up - mostly just mailing list type things, I'm assuming it's just an address they mostly use to fill in forms rather than for anything useful. Kind of curious if they receive their own copy of the mails that arrive with me or get any of mine, because I've never really noticed that any emails that I'm expecting myself haven't arrived.

It's still a ridiculous bug to have though, but I guess people probably just live with it rather than report it.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
I've got a gmail address with the . and regularly get emails to an address without the .

I can 100% confirm that I can log into the dot-less gmail account no problem and it is the exact same as the dotted one. It is just people giving the wrong email address. The dot thing not mattering has been known about for donkeys years and I've used it tons of times to get offers, freebies etc.

The American me may never know he got that job at Walmart, or his appointment at the Georgia Heart Institute was moved to a different day. These things are lost, like tears in the rain.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Same, my google email has a dot between the first and last name, but I regularly get emails that are clearly sent to the email address written without the dot (which I can't otherwise access, to be clear).

So when you go in a private browser let’s say and try firstlast@gmail.com it doesn’t work with your login?

I have this issue where I get emails and email confirmation stuff, hotel bookings, plane bookings etc but I guess they have a different spelling.

I can log into the account without a dot, and it brings me to my account with a dot.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Well I’m sure King Cheggers first official portrait will stop the “royals are bloodsoaked satanic lizards” brigade from continuing their conspiracy theories. Jesus Christ lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they intend to paint him burning in hell?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Isn't that just the underpainting?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Even without the tinfoil hat on that is a truly bizarre choice for your first portrait as King

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Well I’m sure King Cheggers first official portrait will stop the “royals are bloodsoaked satanic lizards” brigade from continuing their conspiracy theories. Jesus Christ lol

Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back...

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

huh, I actually like it on an artistic level.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

It looks like it's been painted using the bloodied handprints of children. Maybe it was. lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Blasphemous bosses looking rad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

When I saw the picture just now I assume that some XR types had vandalised it but hell, that's pretty cool for a royal portrait.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It *isn't* the underpainting?? well. Huh.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

JoylessJester posted:

huh, I actually like it on an artistic level.

do you indeed. Pray inform us of its merits

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Uhh.

That sure is something.

I wouldn't even mind if it was some sort of cubist thing or whatever, but that gives off a very agressive vibe.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Did they intend to paint him burning in hell?

Well they don't want to have to come back and re-do it in a couple months.

For real though it looks pretty cool

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I actually think I kinda like it too. It's a good likeness and the butterfly is a nice touch. And the red is striking and a definite choice, though it does kinda read like an anti-monarchy statement to me, like he's saying the individual person of the King can hardly emerge from the history of blood that is the monarchy.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68981200

quote:

Queen Camilla is said to have looked at the painting and told Yeo: "Yes, you've got him."

quote:

There's a great deal of sympathy for the King, Yeo adds. The portrait "reflects exactly who he is, everything he represents and what he's been through".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Starbucks posted:

So when you go in a private browser let’s say and try firstlast@gmail.com it doesn’t work with your login?
Alright, I am confused as gently caress and apologising to History and Piano Chimp.

The mailing list ones remain a mystery (did they add me to the list before confirmation was needed?), but what the gently caress is going on with that email from what I thought was initialssurname@gmail and then the relative hit reply and sent it to me? Did they manually type the address wrong into the reply field?

Anyway, this is not grandads tech support thread. I apologise.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Charles the Windsorian arises..

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Somebody is looking through rose tinted fingers. :rolleyes:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"what he's been through"

FFS cry me a river

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Alright, I am confused as gently caress and apologising to History and Piano Chimp.

The mailing list ones remain a mystery (did they add me to the list before confirmation was needed?), but what the gently caress is going on with that email from what I thought was initialssurname@gmail and then the relative hit reply and sent it to me? Did they manually type the address wrong into the reply field?

Yeah that's my assumption, they accidentally deleted it and then typed it back in wrong. Never underestimate the possibilities human error offers

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HopperUK posted:

I actually think I kinda like it too. It's a good likeness and the butterfly is a nice touch. And the red is striking and a definite choice, though it does kinda read like an anti-monarchy statement to me, like he's saying the individual person of the King can hardly emerge from the history of blood that is the monarchy.

Yeah, I'd have seen it as an anti-Empire thing, weltering in blood and whatnot. Surprised it's official, but it's pretty cool anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Without seeing the actual email addresses involved it's hard to tell what actually happened.

Maybe there was some sort of substitution, a l (lower case el) read as a 1 or an I (uppercase eye) for example, or something similar with 0 and O or simply a mistake - eg my dad suddenly started sending (well trying) me emails with instead of xxy as part of the name, xyy and wondered why they kept bouncing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

"what he's been through"

FFS cry me a river

Now now, he's had to drink a lot of turmeric smoothies to cure his terminal cancer

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bold of them to paint him in tampon-form but I guess it's what he wanted

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Lol

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Was pointed here from LAN with this question:

I was reading this New Yorker article on the Lucy Letby case, which I was not super familiar with before (geoblocked in the UK I guess).

In it, they discuss how articles had been taken down in the UK because of a contempt of court law, since they disagreed with the official verdict in the case. I read a bit about this law, but have had trouble figuring out how it actually tends to work. As someone from the US, this law seems sort of insane. Can someone more knowledgeable tell me about how this law tends to work/if it seems useful on the whole? I’m curious about it since it just seems so different from the US approach (not that this necessarily makes it bad) and allowing others to comment and publicize wrong decisions seems like a common and important way to right wrongs in the Justice system. E.g. in the case the article is about, it seems odd that a million other previous articles are allowed, but this one is not- surely the jury is already very biased by the media published thus far?

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 14, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The intensely crude symbolism of the “endangered monarch butterfly” is laughable imho. It’s Banksy level stuff

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I am surprised and impressed that Hermann Nitsch was apparently allowed to work with a king’s blood

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Without seeing the actual email addresses involved it's hard to tell what actually happened.

Maybe there was some sort of substitution, a l (lower case el) read as a 1 or an I (uppercase eye) for example, or something similar with 0 and O or simply a mistake - eg my dad suddenly started sending (well trying) me emails with instead of xxy as part of the name, xyy and wondered why they kept bouncing.

Most email clients can override the value that used when replying to an email, when *sending the original email*.
It doesn’t *have* to go to the address that sent it.
This can be set by the sender, not the recipient.

It’s entirely possible that the person has messed up their config to a point where they are sending from one address, but replies are going elsewhere. If they’ve manually entered the reply configuration incorrectly, it’ll be … interestingly inconsistent. Some older clients actually prompted for this value when configuring the connection for an account.

Gmail and others will warn you about this now, but it’s definitely a thing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/298780/how-to-change-the-reply-to-address-for-email-messages-in-outlook/

Email is hilariously insecure and has a bunch of legacy things that may or may not make any sense in 2024 and modern expectations of how it should work.

trufflefoo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 14, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

The royal family are all stuck up cunts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So, how quickly do you think they can mod him into Elden Ring?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

The box! You opened it, we came!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you came that colour you should see a doctor.