Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

Stevie g gonna appeal it

Remembering Danny Murphy saying no one would get more out of this Villa side than Gerrard, and lmaoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Frankston posted:

Villa are in the Champions League, loving hell lol. I can't believe it. What a rollercoaster 10 years it's been since we got relegated.

Very happy y'all could get the result you wanted today

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Spurs winning today and them and arsenal both losing next week would've been the most lols for the most people

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
“Big” Steve G MBE built the foundation.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Remembering Danny Murphy saying no one would get more out of this Villa side than Gerrard, and lmaoing

The league when Stevie G was sacked

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

Lol

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i believe in moist dave and his wet hams

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Parity warning posted:

i believe in moist dave and his wet hams

i dont

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Someone remind Moyes he doesn't have to win trophies to be a winner

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Save us David Moyes and West Ham

Inshallah

the sex ghost posted:

Lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the sex ghost posted:

Danny Murphy predict City staying in the Premier League for the next 50 years please

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Bayern have watched 3 months of Crystal Palace and decided Glasner was their manager of the future. And got told to gently caress off

quote:

As first reported by German news outlet Bild, Bayern were proposing an €18 million (£15.5m) compensation package for the 49-year-old but Palace have no interest in letting him leave, valuing him at closer to €100m (£86m).

Can we have your manager 3 months into a 3 year deal. We will pay you barely enough for a championship striker. Yes we are serious, please stop asking that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
100 mil for a manager seems patently absurd

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Moises Caicedo cost 100m and I bet Boehly wishes he'd spent that on Guardiola instead

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is it when you consider there are about 12 competent managers in the world?

E: 12 might be a stretch

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

is glasner one of those 12 though?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s too early to tell if Glasner is the difference or if it’s a combination of Palace’s annual spring waking up and getting their front line fit again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is glasner one of those 12 though?

Well you said "a manager" not Glasner specifically. Clubs can put any valuation they want on their guys. Barca has billion Euro release clauses on half their players

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

Is any manager a slam dunk to the extent that it's worth that much money, though? I know the sport's finances are disconnected from the real world, but 100 million Euros is still the kind of amount where the manager you're selecting definitely should not be a gamble.

Every club and league is different (and/or dysfunctional in its own way). I remember those halcyon days with Paul Lambert looked like a wizard while he was at Norwich. Andre Villas Boas looked amazing until he left Porto and fell back to Earth. There is always a new hotness who eventually gets found out. Mourinho was amazing and now everyone thinks he is washed up.

Guardiola might be considered a sure thing, but you kind of need to be the richest team in your league to make sure his ideas work.

Anyway, I get where Palace is coming from since a managerial departure might inflict damage that could lead to a relegation, but I think it's still worth balking at the number overall unless you're somehow convinced that the guy is going to be Alex Ferguson/Bill Shankly/Arsene Wenger levels of transformative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Well you said "a manager" not Glasner specifically. Clubs can put any valuation they want on their guys. Barca has billion Euro release clauses on half their players

AFAIK that Barca thing is some Spanish contract law nonsense.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You could very well be right. I seem to remember a big reason Messi had to leave Barcelona was because he legally couldn't accept a contract on a smaller wage so they couldn't make room in their finances for him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All players in La Liga must have a release clause but if you're Barcelona you can just set it as seventy gazillion euros because who gives a gently caress football finances aren't real

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is any manager a slam dunk to the extent that it's worth that much money, though?

No manager is, you'd have to lift the entire staffing team and then give them a couple of years with the transfer market to see their plan work. Or you could do half of that for all the money like Chelsea and wonder why it all went to poo poo.

I hope Xabi can prove this season wasn't a one-off and he can go top four again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frankston posted:

Villa are in the Champions League, loving hell lol. I can't believe it. What a rollercoaster 10 years it's been since we got relegated.

wild and exciting times, best finish in decades

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1790783046213410977

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Spent 15 years campaigning for a live video replay system and then bin it after 1 season lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I like how all the replies are some variant of "VAR isn't the problem, it's the people using it"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Shrapnig posted:

I like how all the replies are some variant of "VAR isn't the problem, it's the people using it"

Must be the only intelligent twitter commenters ever, because they're right

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They won't scrap it because loads of teams seem to have built their entire way of playing around catching people 3cm offside and will end up conceding a million goals if it goes away

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
just put a 30 second time limit on measuring offsides and also fire all existing referees

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think VAR needs to be abolished but they need to really rethink how it's used to make it less intrusive and disruptive to the flow of the game. Get rid of five minutes spent drawing offside lines, watching the same blurry replay fifty times to see if there's a tiny bit of contact on somebody's elbow, etc etc., go back to "clear and obvious error" as the standard rather than the VAR re-refereeing the game since any "clear and obvious error" should be clear and obvious on the first or second replay it shouldn't need the fortieth and fiftieth to be certain, and see if that fixes most of the problems.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Also city (and other clubs) shouldn't be allowed to pay refs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

Must be the only intelligent twitter commenters ever, because they're right

Couldn't agree more, the standard of referees is shocking

E: For those of you who regularly watch other European leagues, is there a similar level of what can only be described as ineptitude amongst the referees there?

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 15, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The automated offsides at the World Cup was weird, but seems to work fine in the end

Just use that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

E: For those of you who regularly watch other European leagues, is there a similar level of what can only be described as ineptitude amongst the referees there?

Spain seems to have “the ball touched a hand in the box, give a penalty” as a rule which is awful

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Spain seems to have “the ball touched a hand in the box, give a penalty” as a rule which is awful
No one will agree with me on this but this version of the rule makes the most sense to me. No two people have the same interpretation of a handball offense. For such a impactful decision the inconsistency in decisions is untenable.

Also if someone can accurately and deliberately aim the ball at your arm, they deserve the pen.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vegetable posted:

No one will agree with me on this but this version of the rule makes the most sense to me. No two people have the same interpretation of a handball offense. For such a impactful decision the inconsistency in decisions is untenable.

Also if someone can accurately and deliberately aim the ball at your arm, they deserve the pen.

Wrong

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Hell, you gotta love Wolves.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The automated offsides at the World Cup was weird, but seems to work fine in the end

Just use that?

They are, starting next season*

*unless they vote to just scrap the whole of VAR in which case lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vegetable posted:

I just want the really lame ball to hand fouls given an as indirect free kick instead

they're fun and the game needs more of them