Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want there to be an n-word tape so bad

Like, I feel bad rooting for a national candidate for the presidency to dehumanize black voters on a global stage, but I also want to see how hard this turkey can burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

For future lurkers:

Using the sexual assault of a loved one to try to win points after you mocked another sexual assault victim is not the way to the moral high ground.

Plus given the rate of sexual assault, most of us have loved ones who are victims of it. After this tape came out I found out the same thing has happened to close members of my family. This is everywhere.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
what a fun monday to be looking at polls

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Pastrymancy posted:

The moral of this story is, as Deadspin put it:

"It is, let me say here, quite weird to project your own beliefs and aspirations onto an octogenarian Supreme Court justice and expect it to never backfire."

http://deadspin.com/ruth-bader-gins...dium=socialflow

Government officials, especially higher-up ones have to be a certain level of patriotic in their on-the-record remarks. This isnt' new-- it's why activists don't really trust any establishment politicians. If Bernie adapted their language on race specifically, he might've had an inroad, but that ship has sailed.

gently caress that she serves for life and cannot be removed.

I expect more.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the house district i'm in is 100% guaranteed to go blue this year, my ballot choices are a guy who's been in the state senate for a while, is decently progressive and is a party line democrat, or a gay vietnamese mayor who is running from the left, and is also a democrat. those are my choices.

so the effect that this is going to have on the downballot races where i live is pretty much nil

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lozzle posted:

I expect more.

it is ok for old people to have opinions not commonly held by young people

one day you too will be old, and be disconnected from the youth, who will think you are an irredeemable poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Antti posted:

NBC poll in a nutshell: Women already knew Trump was a piece of poo poo, men only got on with the program after the tape came out. (Really supports the "my property" theory, too.)

Why does the LAT think Trump needs to change the game if their own tracking poll has him constantly up by 2 or more? :v:

I'm kidding, but I love to poo poo on that dumb poll.

They have articles, maybe every week trying to explain how their lovely poll works

They know its an insane outlier

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jesus!
What is the actual demographic again?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone else concerned that these numbers are coming a full 4 weeks before Election Day instead of closer to it?

not really, because there's going to be more very bad stuff for Trump. There's absolutely no way that Grabgate was the last thing in the tank

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Night10194 posted:

This actually seems like the worst possible strategy because 'every man for himself' routs are where most of the killing happens. Losing cohesion is dangerous. :getin:

Yeah. From this position, a big loss in the presidential race is a given, and significant loss in the Congress is likely.

If the goal is retaining the most seats, SOME kind of cohesive strategy would be best. Either the whole party not endorsing/unendorsing and condemning Trump, or all of them sticking with him.

"Every man for himself! The rout is on!" means you can get some combination of:

-Deploreables voting Trump only and leaving downticket blank
-Nondeploreables voting R downticket and leaving the top blank, third party or write in
-Some people switching D either up or downticket
-and a substantial number of demoralized R voters, deploreable and nondeploreable varieties, staying home.

I would definitely think this would have to lead to the worst congressional numbers and most silly EV margins.

The only reason to do it is longer term considerations, trying to preserve the viability of the party and individual candidates in future elections.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Jesus!
64% non-hispanic white.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Probably not, but he should. The GOP basically got to stall the nomination in case a Republican won the WH, and then if they lose they still get the compromise candidate Obama offered them.

(And yes, on age alone, Garland was a compromise and everyone knows that especially Obama and Garland.)

nope

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

because getting the republican party to do their loving jobs is like pulling teeth and we're gleeful when they decide to let the government work for five seconds every four years

garland is a compromise candidate but at least they're loving taking the compromise instead of crying about how nobody in this family understands them and barack isn't their real dad!!
The Republican party has already not done their jobs. By confirming Garland in the lame duck they are being rewarded for it. That will encourage similar behavior in the future. This is bad.

Future Senates in the same situation can stall on a President's fourth/eighth-year nominee, in case they win the WH, and if they don't the precedent now is that they can still take the compromise the POTUS offered up.

Am I the only one who believes this makes the Dems look weak and is a terrible precedent to set?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
hmm good point

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I feel bad rooting for a national candidate for the presidency to dehumanize black voters on a global stage, but I also want to see how hard this turkey can burn

hillery been doing that since the 90s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lozzle posted:

I expect more.

Remember, her personal opinion is not as relevant as her willingness to separate her opinion from law.

I do not care if she personally finds the protest stupid if she is willing to defend the constitutionality of it

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Jesus!

72% non-hispanic white in 2012.

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

Remember, polls like this aren't designed to reflect total demo of country, but the subset that is "likely voters" or "debate watchers" or whatever.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kilroy posted:

The Republican party has already not done their jobs. By nominating Garland in the lame duck they are being rewarded for it. That will encourage similar behavior in the future. This is bad.

Future Senates in the same situation can stall on a President's fourth/eighth-year nominee, in case they win the WH, and if they don't the precedent now is that they can still take the compromise the POTUS offered up.

Am I the only one who believes this makes the Dems look weak and is a terrible precedent to set?

is there any actual evidence that he's going to be appointed? McConnell has been solidly against it and as recently as last week, other R lawmakers were posturing to never appoint anyone at all to that seat

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HOLY gently caress

That's the kind of demo split they use to make it look like Trump has a shot in Pennsylvania and Hillary is still crushing that fat orange bastard into gross pesto.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kilroy posted:

The Republican party has already not done their jobs. By nominating Garland in the lame duck they are being rewarded for it. That will encourage similar behavior in the future. This is bad.

Playing politics with Garland's career is not going to endear the Democrats to any future potential justices and is pretty scummy to boot.

Also, Garland's old; if Hillary gets two terms there's an (admittedly not super likely) chance she just replaces him herself.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Am I the only one who believes this makes the Dems looks weak and is a terrible precedent to set?

It is a bad precedent.

It would also be a bad precedent for Obama to withdraw his nominee out of spite, proving that nominating Garland at all was a political move rather than him picking the person he thought was the best justice for the job.

The bad precedent was set when the Senate decided to gently caress with the nomination process and there is now no good way out. No matter what you do you're setting a precedent that further entrenches the Supreme Court as a political football.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Haha, how loving mad are you that Trump is gonna lose bigly?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
USPOL October: AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Kilroy posted:

The Republican party has already not done their jobs. By confirming Garland in the lame duck they are being rewarded for it. That will encourage similar behavior in the future. This is bad.

Stonewalling Garland is not a popular decision but the GOP doesn't care. They aren't being rewarded it for it and we'll know for sure in November.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Kilroy posted:

hmm good point

mcconnell refusing to even consider the nomination plays very well, people may not like democrats but they loving hate it when politicians wont do their loving jobs

obama rescinding the nomination just gives them ammo to say "see! he didnt intend for us to actually confirm garland. we were right to stonewall"

seriously its nothing but bad

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

greatn posted:

Plus given the rate of sexual assault, most of us have loved ones who are victims of it. After this tape came out I found out the same thing has happened to close members of my family. This is everywhere.

Agreed, and an unbelievably depressing realization.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

boner confessor posted:

it is ok for old people to have opinions not commonly held by young people

one day you too will be old, and be disconnected from the youth, who will think you are an irredeemable poo poo

Never! I will always strive to be as progressive as humanly possible.

If in the future polygamy is considered acceptable then I will support it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This was my sheep game answer and I stand by it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
On a more negative note: The senate votes seem to be going down. :smith:

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

nice

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Playing politics with Garland's career is not going to endear the Democrats to any future potential justices and is pretty scummy to boot.

Also, Garland's old; if Hillary gets two terms there's an (admittedly not super likely) chance she just replaces him herself.

Garland is 5 years younger than Hillary, it's extremely unlikely she would nominate his replacement. He would probably serve on the bench for 20 years, which is still pretty decent. It's just not Clarence Thomas, who will probably end up sitting on the Supreme Court for almost half a century.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Important reminder: early voting has already begun in many states, meaning Trump will have a cumulative deficit of votes building against him over time. Even if he somehow manages to eek out a slight lead in polling by election day that still wouldn't be enough, because now he's fighting against a vote deficit. Every day that Hillary maintains her lead, the more impossible it becomes for Trump to make a comeback.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

:allears: never stop posting

emdash posted:

is there any actual evidence that he's going to be appointed? McConnell has been solidly against it and as recently as last week, other R lawmakers were posturing to never appoint anyone at all to that seat
haha

I mean yeah maybe you're right I'm just laughing at the thought of pointing to anything McConnell says or does as an indication of what he thinks or what he's going to do in the future.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kilroy posted:

But either alternative is worse.

If Obama withdraws Garland he is condoning the republican narrative that a President does not have the right to nominate in his last year - it's now an accepted thing instead of sheer hackery.

If the Republicans do consent to Garland, the system eventually worked. Though in a problematic way, yes, but the man nominated by POTUS got to take the job. That's how it's supposed to work.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

There's still time for Trump to drive down turnout

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol theres no way

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

so the effect that this is going to have on the downballot races where i live is pretty much nil

On the other hand, this is a good time to point out to anyone that lives in a red district in a heavily gerrymandered state where you normally wouldn't even bother with the house race, it's probably R+5ish and that is totally in play now. Assuming your state party isn't so worthless that they didn't bother fielding anyone, get out there and do work.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nah, Sam Wang has it at 72% dem control.
And this kind of landslide is guaranteed to hand the senate over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember, her personal opinion is not as relevant as her willingness to separate her opinion from law.

I do not care if she personally finds the protest stupid if she is willing to defend the constitutionality of it

And her feelings have more to do with the national anthem than the cause of the protest, much like John Paul Stevens getting defensive over the flag.

Even Scalia was willing to defend the constitutionality of acts of protest like flag burning.

• Locked thread