Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ouhei posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the kidney kid is kind of being a lovely brother? The parent's are being assholes about it too, but dude your brother needs a kidney...

Looking at it from a high level, yeah. But he's his half-brother and his parents are treating him like an organ bank for the kid that's both of theirs. Particularly since if he's not a match they want him to trade away his organs for one that is compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the kidney kid is kind of being a lovely brother? The parent's are being assholes about it too, but dude your brother needs a kidney...

No, I also think this. Granted, he is in a non-first world country, so I guess I can understand being more afraid of surgery in those conditions

Mirthless posted:

he doesn't need one, at least, not right now. He's not dying, it's more that he's going to need one at some point in the future.

It sounds like he's going to be actively dying without it, so why mince words?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

No, I also think this. Granted, he is in a non-first world country, so I guess I can understand being more afraid of surgery in those conditions

It sounds like he's going to be actively dying without it, so why mince words?

I edited more into my post but it got cut off, so:

quote:

Also, given that it's his half brother, I think there's some preferred child poo poo going on here and I think he is right to look out for himself in this situation. Stepdad seems to be the one pushing this and even though Stepdad has been the only dad this guy has ever known they still don't have a good relationship. The whole thing stinks.

Losing your kidney is a big deal, you are basically voluntarily cutting a decade off your lifespan and that's assuming you don't have kidney problems yourself down the line.

Here's a list of the risks:
http://www.livingdonor101.com/risks.shtml

Frighteningly, you're at a greater risk of complications when you're below age 35 which makes the request extra unreasonable.

Basically

1. It's a matter of principle. If his brother isn't dying right now his kidney doesn't need to be on offer. Literally, it can wait. If he is not into it and he is being pressured to do it by somebody who isn't even his biological father there's some kind of gross implications here, mainly, "the mere questionable status of my child's future is worth more than the years you will surely lose when you donate your kidney"
2. The fact that they want him to get into an organ exchange program is incredibly ghoulish, they're essentially bartering his organs for organs for their other child.

I think maybe he would be being selfish if it wasn't for that second part but the fact that his family is being so rigid and inflexible about it and the specific circumstances of the family composition... It doesn't look good, at least, not to me. I think he should accept his family's judgement on this and :sever: altogether.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He implies he's not that close with his brother? Giving up a kidney is pretty serious and I probably wouldn't do it for someone I wasn't close to regardless of how many chromosomes we share. What if later in life, someone he was close to needed a kidney? One of his kids who inherited whatever the condition is? "Brother" means different thing to different people and I don't think it's quite fair to think of your own sibling relationships and apply it to others.

Why doesn't the mom or the dad give a kidney or enter a kidney swap program? Why's it gotta be him?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He implies he's not that close with his brother? Giving up a kidney is pretty serious and I probably wouldn't do it for someone I wasn't close to regardless of how many chromosomes we share. What if later in life, someone he was close to needed a kidney? One of his kids who inherited whatever the condition is? "Brother" means different thing to different people and I don't think it's quite fair to think of your own sibling relationships and apply it to others.

Why doesn't the mom or the dad give a kidney or enter a kidney swap program? Why's it gotta be him?

Apparently their kidneys are bad because of "health problems"

TBH, I think the real reason is because they want their preferred son to have a young kidney.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Basically

1. It's a matter of principle. If his brother isn't dying right now his kidney doesn't need to be on offer. Literally, it can wait. If he is not into it and he is being pressured to do it by somebody who isn't even his biological father there's some kind of gross implications here, mainly, "the mere questionable status of my child's future is worth more than the years you will surely lose when you donate your kidney"
2. The fact that they want him to get into an organ exchange program is incredibly ghoulish, they're essentially bartering his organs for organs for their other child.

I think maybe he would be being selfish if it wasn't for that second part but the fact that his family is being so rigid and inflexible about it and the specific circumstances of the family composition... It doesn't look good, at least, not to me. I think he should accept his family's judgement on this and :sever: altogether.

I re-read the post again and I honestly still think he's just being overly selfish. His family has provided for him his entire life, they're paying for his tuition, they gave him a car, etc. Yes this is a big ask of him and it sucks that he has to do it, but I think it's time to step up and put on your big boy pants.

I think the family's anger at him is pretty understandable, in their eyes, he is killing their other child with his decision.

Like look at this quote:

quote:

I've always been extremely squimish about surgeries and it fills me with a lot of fear and anxiety. I also don't like my country's medical facilities. Also this would mean I'd jeopardize a new part-time job (practically unpaid internishp) that I recently landed, which is my first job in my industry and could turn into a full-time position after I graduate. I don't think I can request time off so quickly, and even if I could I really don't want to because of the other competing interns.

These are pretty lame reasons to avoid it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Step-son, we demand you give us your kidney regardless of if it's a match for my REAL son, otherwise we'll abandon you and make you homeless." --A monster

"Hm yes but the parents did feed him as a child, so they deserve a kidney or two" --Noted Something Awful poster Wampalord

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ people will white knight anything. It's HIS KIDNEY. He can choose to keep it if he wants to. We can argue forever if it's selfish or not, but at the end of the day it's HIS KIDNEY.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's nice dude. one of the better ways to spend an afternoon

Get a job in the food service industry then everyday can be this fun!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Danaru posted:

"Step-son, we demand you give us your kidney regardless of if it's a match for my REAL son, otherwise we'll abandon you and make you homeless." --A monster

"Hm yes but the parents did feed him as a child, so they deserve a kidney or two" --Noted Something Awful poster Wampalord

"I'm so glad I didn't bother giving him that kidney" - OP's thoughts as he watches his brother be lowered into the ground, "after all, hospitals are scary!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
No one is obligated to die for you; no matter what they may have done for you in the past or could do for you in the future, bodily autonomy is sacrosanct. It isn't selfish to decide "no, I do not want to be put in an early grave for this person" regardless of who that person is. It's his decision and they should respect that.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bubblyblubber posted:

The sitcoms are becoming alive!

My [35M] wife and daughter [13F&30F] is away her flight is landing. I signed my son [11M] up for boxing when she told me not to. He has a black eye. How do I explain this to my wife?

Our sons eye was a homophobic racist in a past life. It had to be done.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WampaLord posted:

I re-read the post again and I honestly still think he's just being overly selfish. His family has provided for him his entire life, they're paying for his tuition, they gave him a car, etc. Yes this is a big ask of him and it sucks that he has to do it, but I think it's time to step up and put on your big boy pants.

I think the family's anger at him is pretty understandable, in their eyes, he is killing their other child with his decision.

Like look at this quote:

Yeah, while I think the family is being pushy and insensitive to the gravity of what they're asking, I'd be pretty loving angry with my son if he wouldn't even check to see if he was compatible as a donor to save his brother's life. Keep in mind this isn't some half brother that he barely knows, he grew up with him and the brother's father is the only father he's ever known, that guy is his father in every measure that really matters.

The organ swap thing is definitely weird and I've never heard of it before, but my guess is the parents are open to any avenue that saves their kids life.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Like look at this quote:

"I have paid for you, now risk death and permanent injury for MY progeny!"

lol, good lord, dude, are you an only child or something?

Ouhei posted:

that guy is his father in every measure that really matters.

except for the part where he's threatening the child who is not his son with homelessness and worse (complete ostracization from the extended family) if he does not give up an organ, ten years of his life, and risk possible death before he's 40 for the sake of the child who is his son

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 28, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's pretty obvious the younger brother is the Golden Child, so OP should just pack his bags anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Dialysis isn't a death sentence like that, there are people who do it for decades. It sucks of course but surely that buys them time to coerce someone else instead of the brother, with money this time. (I don't know if organ selling is legal in their country but it is in some others. It's certainly a dicey ethical issue but...threatening your other kid with homelessness over the issue is more so and if we're simply choosing one vs the other, it's a wash to me.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheScott2K posted:

It's pretty obvious the younger brother is the Golden Child, so OP should just pack his bags anyway.

^^^

Time for OP to go. I think the worst possible thing he could do is donate his kidney, because lol, there's no way the preferential treatment is going to stop with an organ donation and I guarantee you that any attempt he makes to milk the favor he did will be thrown in his face as selfish grandstanding

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What kind of moron tells his girlfriend that her boobs are "icky" like a literal 12 year old? What kind of moron says anything strongly negative about his girlfriend's appearance? What kind of moron dates someone for 2 years who he isn't attracted to? What kind of moron acts like this at goddamn 25 years old? :catstare:

probably the same kind of moron that believes everything written in a r/relat post

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

whoops turns out junior here's got a bum ticker too, ain't that just a poo in the pudding, welp kiddo nice knowin' ya but it's time for the scrapyard

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mirthless posted:

^^^

Time for OP to go. I think the worst possible thing he could do is donate his kidney, because lol, there's no way the preferential treatment is going to stop with an organ donation and I guarantee you that any attempt he makes to milk the favor he did will be thrown in his face as selfish grandstanding
Yup. I really get the vibe that these people would feel fine guilting their would-be donor son for having fed and clothed him like it's the most fuckin magnanimous thing in the world one moment, then telling him to get over himself for not relinquishing one of his organs the next. Trash tbh

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

Like look at this quote:

If you don't want to do these things then don't have a child. My body my choice applies to organ removal as well.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

whoops turns out junior here's got a bum ticker too, ain't that just a poo in the pudding, welp kiddo nice knowin' ya but it's time for the scrapyard

I don't know man they've paid for so many of his bills and possessions don't you think he kind of owes his brother a heart?

btw:

quote:

Also this would mean I'd jeopardize a new part-time job (practically unpaid internishp) that I recently landed, which is my first job in my industry and could turn into a full-time position after I graduate. I don't think I can request time off so quickly, and even if I could I really don't want to because of the other competing interns.

seems like a pretty good reason to refuse an, at this point, more or less optional kidney donation. There's no way this guy is going back to work right after a major surgery like that and lol if you think they care enough about an intern's health to not fire them for taking time off to recover from surgery. His future career is more important than his brother's short term comfort and free time. Dialysis will keep him alive for now and if it gets bad and no organ has materialized his family will have the right to apply a little pressure. If he's not in dire need then this is likely more about assuaging the concerns of his family and you shouldn't have to give up an organ (and your own future) to make your parents feel better about the future of a sibling.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 28, 2017

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Always good to have a backup kid for spare parts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's the point in having kids if you can't treat their organs like they're a bin of lego?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Y'all ever see that movie My Sister's Keeper? Kinda reminds me of that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gee shucks Dad was all set to make liver and onions for Sunday dinner but the butcher is fresh out! What to do? What... to... do

*all eyes turn to the bandaged shape at the end of the dinner table*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

seems like a pretty good reason to refuse an, at this point, more or less optional kidney donation.

I didn't realize you were a doctor, Mirthless.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's like Clonus but he wasn't born in a lab for the specific purpose of organ donation

WampaLord posted:

I know you can read WampaLord, he said in the post that his brother wasn't dying and as others have pointed out, kidney failure takes a long time

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WampaLord posted:

"I'm so glad I didn't bother giving him that kidney" - OP's thoughts as he watches his brother be lowered into the ground, "after all, hospitals are scary!"

Are you anti-abortion as well? Just checking your consistency on bodily autonomy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

WampaLord posted:

Seriously man this is such a stupid hill to die on even Mirthless is making fun of you

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What are the odds of a half-brother being a good donor choice anyway? Pretty slim.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I get the feeling WampaLord thinks bum kidneys are like an appendix and they can burst in an instant

Like some kind of emergency kidney situation will come up and the doctor will dramatically throw his clipboard to the floor and turn to the brother and say "If only you'd donated your kidney in advance, we could have avoided all of this! I can't save him! He's... doomed! The cause of death: Bad Brothering!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

I get the feeling WampaLord thinks bum kidneys are like an appendix and they can burst in an instant

Like some kind of emergency kidney situation will come up and the doctor will dramatically throw his clipboard to the floor and turn to the brother and say "If only you'd donated your kidney in advance, we could have avoided all of this! I can't save him! He's... doomed! The cause of death: Bad Brothering!"

I think you're missing that the dude is not even letting himself get tested.

In no way am I saying the dude is literally obligated to give up a kidney if he truly doesn't want to, but maybe he should want to. It's his brother.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

What are the odds of a half-brother being a good donor choice anyway? Pretty slim.

Yeah, well, there's the rub...

WampaLord posted:

I think you're missing that the dude is not even letting himself get tested.

He's not letting himself get tested because his family plans to use the information from the test to put his kidney on the loving open market!

quote:

My half-brother needs a kidney transplant and my family is pressuring me to do some tests and be the donor, or sign up for some trading waitlist if I'm not compatible (i.e. i give my kidney to a stranger and my brother receives one from a stranger, that's the way mom explained). We don't have other relatives or friends who would be willing to do this. Neither of my parents are elegible to donate because of health issues. We don't live in the USA.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WampaLord how many of your own organs have you selfishly kept for yourself

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Someone accused me of being an only child, and I am, but how many of you are as well?

Cause I've never had a brother, but generally don't most people love their brothers?

E: Nothing OP wrote implied he hated his family before this incident. Ehhh, I guess this is wrong, never mind.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mirthless posted:

"I have paid for you, now risk death and permanent injury for MY progeny!"

lol, good lord, dude, are you an only child or something?

except for the part where he's threatening the child who is not his son with homelessness and worse (complete ostracization from the extended family) if he does not give up an organ, ten years of his life, and risk possible death before he's 40 for the sake of the child who is his son
"I have raised you as my own and now your brother needs you or he will die."

We're ascribing a lot of "golden child" poo poo to the parents based on not a whole lot. This is all he says about how his step-father treats him:

quote:

We're from different fathers, and I always felt like he was the favorite. I'm from a previous marriage, and I always felt like my existence caused my step-dad some jealousy. He never said anything mean, or did anything bad, so maybe I've been reading into it, or maybe I'm paranoid or insecure. I've never met my biodad and have been with my step dad since I can remember, so to me he's just dad.
He never says his step-father has treated him poorly or been mean to him. From the parents side they have 1 son who's very ill and bad enough off that he's going to need a kidney transplant and they have another son that won't even check to see if he could save his brothers life. It's essentially saying he doesn't really care if his brother dies in his parent's eyes and they're clearly livid about it, they'd cut him out of the family because he's turning his back on them now.

Again, I am not saying that this kid HAS to give his kidney to his brother, but it's also entirely reasonable that his parents would be very upset that he is unwilling to do anything to potentially save his brothers life. I think they're going overboard for sure, but to expect that his parents would just be like "ok, just figured we'd ask" is loving stupid too.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Someone accused me of being an only child, and I am, but how many of you are as well?

Cause I've never had a brother, but generally don't most people love their brothers?

Nothing OP wrote implied he hated his family before this incident.

You don't know what it's like to be the less preferred or preferred sibling so you really don't have the perspective to understand why this situation is hosed up on an unbelievable number of levels

At multiple points in his post he wrote and implied he suspected his stepdad didn't like him because he came from another dude and that he was the less preferred child.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WampaLord posted:

E: Nothing OP wrote implied he hated his family before this incident. Ehhh, I guess this is wrong, never mind.

I'm not an only child and I love my sister but even then I'm not 100% sure I'd be willing to give her my kidney hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

No one is under any obligation to donate their organs, and if anyone came at me and tried to guilt me into it when I didn't naturally arrive at the decision myself I'd tell them to go gently caress themselves.