Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I hear some japanese promotion decided to have a 108 man battle royal on new year. I really want to see this for the sheer :psyduck: factor, does anyone have more info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

coconono posted:

I've got a copy of Taijiri's SMASH 10 waiting for me to watch. The Swedish wrestler thing was just too offbeat to pass up.

Finnish. :colbert: I know this because I literally only found out they even have wrestling in my country when I heard about that event.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Holy poo poo, you're right. Let's take a look at early pages-

Ditch posted:

Tanahashi has talent but in most cases needs to be carried. I'd honestly say the same thing about Styles because I'm not a fan of spotfests, but in AJ's case at least he has said spotfests. When Tanahashi has an off night he's very bland because his offense isn't particularly great.

I would not expect much for Styles vs Tanahashi.

:allears: Going to spend an afternoon in a wonderful time capsule.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I want to see the best of MEN's Teioh, can anyone hook me up? Interpret that as you desire.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Did WRESTLE-1 even promote the card? I would have at least considered it had I known Laughter7 was there.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Flameingblack posted:

Please tell me it leads to someone intentionally trying to lose matches to make it back on the roster but constantly winning on accident.

Loser wins the belt.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I need that Tokyo Gurentai show, holy poo poo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Kota Ibushi is set to compete on an IGF card on 5/29. :psyduck:

What's next, gathering of the juggalos?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

CIMA will revolutionize wrestling in China and get 30% in the observer HOF voting

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Mochi: I'm gonna carry this company on my back until someone half my age steps up to be the future of this company.

Also Mochi: *drops title to Masato Yoshino*

No idea what's going on with DG going forward now. Natural Vibes is the best unit in wrestling though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

abraham linksys posted:

i know no one who keeps up with dragon gate, especially now that they have that weird OwE splinter that took a bunch of their roster. i guess they also have a streaming service but it sucks? but it seems like dragon gate is fun and flippy and i think i'd like the style, and i have to imagine the unit-based storylines makes it relatively easy to follow, so why is it that no one is watching it?

I had a sub till I canceled it in June. The wrestling is always good, they have just had a very unsatisfying year creatively. Trying to put over the limping heel unit strong until two thirds of the reason they were created fucks off to Shanghai. Natural Vibes is created in May to huge positive buzz and then proceeds to do nothing but hold the trios title. Mochizuki's title reign built around defending against the next young stars ending in a mediocre heatless match with Masato Yoshino getting his fourth reign. Inexplicable annual Cyber Kong push in TYOOL 2018. Trying to put over the limping heel unit by adding former Tensai's handler KAZMA Sakamoto. Stuff like that. The streaming service is quite good aside from the bizarre gap between a week after a show and a month after a show when the shows aren't available, but it wasn't worth paying more than NJPW money for when I can't get excited for people in the company anymore.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Thauros posted:

dragon gate had a fantastic show in ota ward gym a couple weeks ago and is actually more interesting to me right now than they have been in a couple years since the departures. unfortunately their service is expensive by wrestling standards and shows disappear after a week.

just to clarify on this the initial broadcast is up for a week and then roughly a month afterwards the tv broadcast goes up on the archives. it's some weird poo poo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

It's been all downhill for Eita since he lost to Liger. The absolute state of him in that picture.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Strong Hearts is the coolest unit going and two of their main guys looked unsalvageable just six months ago.

A royal rumble gimmick except each entry is just a weapon added to a 1v1 match. :allears:

ONE OF THE WEAPONS IS CHINSUKE NAKAMURA

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 21, 2018

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

DDT's streaming service is completely making GBS threads the bed and it's getting worse just as the match I tuned in for is coming on :sigh:

What I could see of Takeshita/CIMA looked fun but that buffering is an absolute no go.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 21, 2018

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Mochi is so cool. DG guys almost always look golden when doing outside dates and I'm glad the new regime seems to let that happen more.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Dude looks and moves like he's 80.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hold the gently caress up Mochi is GHC tag champ?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Where's the scoop on how TakaTaichi vs Despy and DOUKI went?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

New poo poo Heart Foundation invasion angle incoming!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Give him a Taichi defense to bring the story full circle and I'm on board.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Everyone: STOP THE KENTO
*monkey's paw curls*

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

What was the reason Ace reigns in mid-2000s NOAH and AJPW were ended by Rikio and Taiyo Kea of all people?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I let my sub expire after Mochi lost the title having completely lost my passion for DG but reportedly A: they're good again B: they had fuckin gackt out there which also means they've got the wild factor present in all truly good wrestling

Anyway the point of this is that Final Gate bangs. Feels good to be back.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Watching some NOAH show on Abema and loving lost it when one of the announcers has a full on portable conspiracy whiteboard he moves wrestler portraits between various factions on to explain what is happening in the junior division

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Had to have an ugly lol when Ultimo teamed with Shun and had his own, separate entrance billed above the promotion's world champion. You'd think a guy that egoistic would get that it just makes him look like a joke.

DG in general is having a good go of it though. The one day tag contender tournament was really breezy, good wrestling and RED is a compelling heel unit with a bunch of lovely 20yo olds running the show and Hulk looking like he's in his element for the first time in approximately forever.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

The faction stuff is really quite straightforward. There's one big heel faction, at present RED (stands for Real Extreme Diffusion), it's been around since 2018, Eita is the top guy. It's a continuation of ANTIAS (which was only around for about 6 months), which in turn was a continuation of VerserK.

We've got a bunch of change happening coming out of the generation battles of 2020 but the other main groups so far are Masquerade, led by Shun Skywalker, HIGH-END which is seemingly lead by YAMATO and Team Boku which is basically a mess and will probably be wrapped up before too long when Bokutimo Dragon loses his mask to Diamante. We know this because Naruki Doi has said he's done with them.

Y'all gonna stand for this Natural Vibes erasure? Kzy and his dancing weed men group is the only Dragon Gate unit powerful enough to be reanimated after disbanding, albeit trading YASSHI for gamer boy U-T is a downgrade in the vibes department. Ditching Punch was great tho.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

I do wonder what YASSHI did to get sent back to the purgatory of Secret Base.

He left at the start of the pandemic so it was probably a Dove Pro or DG, choose one type of deal while COVID rages and he has a much bigger role in Dove Pro.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Lily Catts posted:

Kinda got lost here ngl, but sure I'll watch a show or two. Do they run a lot of interference and ref bumps? Because that's my least favorite thing about NJPW and I'm watching other puro promotions to get away from those.

The Dragon Gate heel unit (currently RED) tradition is carrying around a box and powder that they'll use to take cheap shots. Often just a normal mid match spot but sometimes leads to the finish. They ain't gonna bump the ref though.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Basically DG started to operate their own mini bubble and since he did his own thing and not a lot of DG, he finished up. Mochizuki scaling back DG and doing NOAH (he does this all the time) a lot last year was part of that too.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've enjoyed OTVG as well though I have OPINIONS about your blatant disrespect of Gamma, epitome of fun midcard character guy

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Finding out that Okuda and the rest of his train shoot had no idea that it was Gackt in the mask at Final Gate until they got back backstage, so Okuda wrestled a title match while legitimately confused about who the gently caress is in his corner. DG whips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlLloh54og

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

I had to stop watching Memorial Gate for DDT but two main thoughts, Wakayama Tornado Tag was fun, and Kikuta Ben-K ending left me slightly bewildered.

I know mic ability is hugely important in DG & Ben doesn't have it yet but I'm not sure his booking as an afterthought in HIGH END helps any.

In all honesty if you made me choose gun to head which one has higher upside I'd go with Kikuta. Dude is unique.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

A distressingly large part of the AJPW roster has the stage presence of cardboard. If Jake Lee is going to be your big hope things are rough.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Yeah, that tracks. His heel act would be a fun mid level challenge to the #2 face somewhere else but like you said, glorified indie.

E: So, if you like strong character work, cool factions and smooth, impressive wrestling it's a great time to get into Dragon Gate...

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 4, 2021

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that's a real loving bummer. Fairly innocuous bump & seems like Kikuta hosed up something in his shoulder.

What happened, another cursed Skywalker Dream Gate match?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

You keep talking like that and I'll actually start believing it's Kzy time. It never is. :negative:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

DG crosspromotion is often interesting. YAMATO assassinating Liger for DG's honor in the 2009 BOSJ after the latter dominated the Dream Gate scene two years prior is some all time stuff.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

As mentioned before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb5Ok0jrhoU

Come in, assassinate Jushin "Thunder" Liger for his Dream Gate crimes, finish block on 4 points.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Dove Pro x Stronghearts :eyepop:

Shindies are so beautiful

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

It probably helps that Shingo had been around the block and done it all in every possible wrestling role for the company and he obviously wasn't in a position to be downcycled just yet. What was he gonna do, have another Dream Gate run or spearhead another unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

So did the big announcement for a DDT/AEW partnership amount to anything other than Nakazawa and Dark matches?