Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is Tanahashi any good? I've honestly never heard of the guy before TNA decided to bring him in for Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What are the best resources to use for following present day puro?

Are Japanese workers inherently more talented than American workers? It seems like some hardcore puro fans act as if anyone overseas is the perfect offspring of Benoit and Angle, but guys like A-Train - who was pretty much poo poo on when he was in the E - are able to be gainfully employed in the bigger name promotions. What gives?

Who were the ten best puro workers in 2005?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Ditch posted:

Way to take a lot of things out of context.

I certainly wasn't trying to do that, nor was I trying to trash puro, it was a legitimate question I had given my minimal knowledge of puro.

Thanks for the information, Ditch. Your columns are one of the few reasons I go to InsidePulse.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say that your look at HUSTLE was pretty awesome. I had heard about them but had no idea what they were about at all.

It's also good to hear that Rosey's going to be in Japan. Since I'm a slight mark for the big guy, I have to ask: how big of a push do you think he'll get?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Chief Rebel Angel posted:

I had no idea Japan's drug laws were so strict. And I thought we were bad enough here in the US. Van Dam and Sabu are lucky they work here.

Heh, ask Paul McCartney about Japan and marijuana. I don't really understand what caused their hardline stance, but drat do they hate the reefer.

Great to hear Kenta's doing well though.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

All Japan is clearly too poor to make three replacement belts so instead they will make one.

When you add the Cena-mandated spinner, of course it's going to be too expensive.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Paradol Ex posted:

You know, Wrestlehut should really start its own website for columns and recaps. There's a lot of talent round these parts.

There was going to be something like this about a year ago, and then Evil Angry Cat was eaten by dingoes or something :smith:

I'd love to see one actually be launched and maintained, but it smells like another Goon Project to me.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
According to Wikipedia, Gordy didn't want to job to Hogan, but Hansen was cool with it.

Speaking of Hansen, I just saw his 1990 match with Steve Williams. Decent old-fashioned brawl, but I marked like crazy for the first lariat I've ever seen Hansen do. Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Saw this in the last Wrestling Observer and had to repost, just because it seems so ridiculous.

quote:

There is an idea for a new form of gimmick match on a show on 8/13. The idea is it would be a match with Kenso vs. Takao Omori. There would be five other wrestlers who are the allowable interferers. Please hide this issue from Vince Russo. The idea is the five allowable interferers all get to come to the ring for 30 seconds, bringing any weapon they are able to bring with them, and use it on either guy or both guys if they wish. The interferers would enter like a Royal Rumble, at specific intervals one minute apart. But they have to leave and they can’t win the match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If it wasn't for Goldberg, "The Jackhammer Smasher" would be a great and stupid finisher name.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Akebono was always used well and was a unique performer in NJPW. I don't think him leaving from his current position in the card is a positive move.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Have any non-NJPW matches been of note this year?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

I don't think even HE is dumb enough to burn those bridges.

Don't say things you can't take back.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that on this day in history 11 years ago, a ladder won the DDT Iron Man Heavymetalweight Championship by pinning Yoshito Sasaki.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Wikipedia just gave me the Lex Luger treatment.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to follow Dragon Gate these days?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
What's the pro wrestling scene in Okinawa like? Is Ryukyu Dragon Pro any good? How often do the major promotions go?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Ditch, do you have a spreadsheet for 1980s or 1990s puro matches like the 2000s one?

edit: and/or something including joshi?

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a good resource for recommended non-NJPW puro/joshi matches?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Ditch's archive for older stuff. http://theditch.us/chron.html

Ditch‘s stuff is great.

Does anyone have resources for ‘19 NOAH? Cagematch seems to follow Big Japan and All Japan (at least for Champions Carnival) pretty close. I think with the Dragon Gate and joshi resources above, that should cover most of it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I don't like how prominent Yuji Hino's outie of a belly button is.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is the 8/31 show up on AJPW.tv?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hello. I'm looking for assistance filling out the field for this year's WH-128. If you can suggest people from Japanese promotions that aren't New Japan, that'd be really helpful. The thread is here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900148&pagenumber=1

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah that some grade a beef

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Bummed by a lack of Okabayashi.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
BEEF

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Can I ask for a brief description/writeup of AJPW, NOAH, and DDT? I'm interested in their styles and direction, compared to, say, NJPW. The most I know is that NOAH broke off from AJPW, DDT does a lot of weird comedy matches, but that's it.

GWB broke down All Japan about as well as you can. I just wanted to add that I’m watching the main matches from the Champion Carnival this year and they had so many great matches. I’m having a blast watching the highlights of the promotion.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try to watch some of the key BJW matches this year, and I just noped out of watching Takeda vs. Sakuda. Just don't need to see anything shoved through both of someone's cheeks, no thanks.

Punch's eternal war with finding out if I like death matches may be over.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NOAH sold out their 1.4 Korakuen.

Fuckin rad. Wrestling is good, NOAH is good, I wish I had more hours in the day so I could get caught up on NOAH.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
good lord

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I’ll pretend you said RFVideo.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Will the AJPW.TV service ever have the archive stuff from way back when? Having it all missing is the main reason I only hold a sub for the carnival.

Is this an issue with a TV company holding the rights to that footage?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
So what’s the best way to actually watch Dragon Gate this year?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is there someone who puts together a reliable list of what to watch in DDT? I can't find anyone on Twitter.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

These are voted on by Internet smarks. If you did a similar poll in the US, AEW/NXT/NJPW would dominate despite Raw/SmackDown getting better attendance numbers.

Is Dragon Hate widely looked down upon in Japan, though?

I’m not going to fix that autocorrect, because I now want a stable called Dragon Hate.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
So Japanese Jim Cornettes.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Never say never in wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
DDT Universe can have little a NOAH, as a treat.