Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Related content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh hi there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy crap

do you think he's gonna be OK?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In case you can't tell I was asking that question sarcastically.

I do the same thing when friends get blown to bits in video games.

Oops, page snipe. Remember this monstrosity? I saw it at the Auto Show way back in like 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XehkMQpeyA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Elviscat posted:

Lol, weight doesn't even matter at those speeds, and I bet that unfaired pile of bits has about the same total drag as a Viper.

Don't all motorcycles have relatively awful drag coefficients?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So another thing I've treated myself to alongside the new bike recently is a camera: A Nikon Z6. I haven't been into photography since high school (always considered myself more a sound guy) but I'm loving shooting with this thing.

I've gotten a few pics of bikes so far. Not enough, but a few. Most of those linked above are from one Thursday night meetup here in Toronto.

Here are some highlights:

Now this one freaked me out. As some of you might remember, my old bike - a 1988 GSX-R400 - was stolen from me about 12 years ago. When I pulled into the meet, this was the first thing I saw, and I immediately felt an adrenaline dump, like that's my loving bike. I rolled up, wondering what I was gonna say, and then noticed the different frame and the '750' on the tail, and breathed a sigh of relief. Mine was in similar - pristine - condition. In retrospect, this was really nice to see.

I also took some shots of my new Gixxer at a local water treatment plant.

She needs a wash, I know. Most of these shots (at least, the nighttime ones of the meetup) were shot with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, which I find myself using a lot as it's great for low-light and the bokeh is crazy good for portrait-distance shooting. I feel like the DoF might be a bit too razor-thin though, as you can see in some of these shots the tails of the bikes are out of focus. The other lens, which I think I used for the Gixxer shots at the waterworks, is a 24-70mm f/2.8. If there are any other shutterbugs ITT, I'd love to hear some tips about shooting bikes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some long exposure tests. I think I need to pick my lighting and background composition better.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I would do that, but I'm too addicted to the long exposure motion blur. :P

Thanks for the advice guys, cool stuff. I also noticed (and a photog friend pointed this out) that I should be shooting a little on the underexposed side; some of the background white is blown out and most of that can be adjusted for in post if I'm deliberately underexposing. Also some shot composition stuff, and use of saturation and vibrance to bring out the colour.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I looked it up and the Z6 will to in-camera HDR but oddly only if you're shooting in JPG. I think there's an option to save all the exposures as NEF/RAW so you can do it manually though. Honestly, I still don't really 'get' HDR.

Composition is something I've always sort of prided myself on, insofar as before I got this camera I'd use my phone and make sure the frame is full and the subject is 100% visible. Using a real camera for the first time since 11th grade, I'm quickly realizing there's more to it than that. I want to get the bike as big as possible in the frame but that doesn't tell much of a story, does it?

Jazzzzz posted:

The only reason anyone will look at 6 photos of the same bike at medium distance in center frame is when they're attached to a post on Craigslist.

:discourse:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Xpost from the Toronto LAN thread. Nothing special, just a couple of phone pics of my baby around town... just enjoying the last bit of warmth before I have to put Shai-Hulud away for the winter. Took her down to the sexiest place in Canada, the Toronto Harbourfront! the new season of Big Mouth has a couple of quality nods to Canada and that's one of them

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Finger Prince posted:

God I hope that's sarcasm.

Like I said, watch the new season of Big Mouth.

Nitrox posted:

What's shai-hulud?

It's the Fremen name of the sandworms in the Dune universe. I was going to call her Rocinante but it'd be a bit disingenuous as I've never actually read Don Quixote so it would really just be a Rush reference. I'm a huge Dune nerd.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

A true dune nerd would have a thumper :colbert:

Thanks guys, this whole exchange made me chuckle but this one is a winner.

Revvik posted:

Ok. Fess up.

this guy fucks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Is it just me or are those tires hosed?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure Ducati is working toward eliminating frames altogether.

Do F1 cars still do that thing where the engine is a stressed member?

A stressed member.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADltVYTk8s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Marky Marq with another absolutely brutal crash in qualifying this weekend. The slow-mo (it's at 2:10 if the timestamp doesn't work) is like the picture-perfect example of a highside. Watch his back as the bike stands up and bucks him off; that looks like a spinal injury before he's even thrown from the bike... EDIT: I forgot the suits have airbags now. Cool to watch that deploy. His landing is a testament to how safe the gear is, in any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7_2U-dkQ0&t=130s

This came shortly after this tasty save from the little guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYdeGLLPro

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 3, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm reading a few riding technique books over the winter and Total Control by Lee Parks is one of them. Some of the physics of suspension is going to take a few reads to wrap my head around but it's a very well-written book full of great information. And every few pages there's a picture of some crazy poo poo like this:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I bet some of the jabronis in the Schad thread are straining themselves trying to think of a way to make this the biker's fault.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I'm surprised nobody here's started up with the HURR THIS IS WHY YOU WAIT AT LIGHTS IN GEAR stuff that comes up any time someone gets rear-ended.

Yeah that too. A part of me thinks I might have been able to react in time and move forward and right to avoid this, but I don't know... that's kind of a panic situation, the rider might not have even noticed they were backing up in time, and sitting there holding in the clutch sucks. I still have problems with my left forearm (though to be fair I bet that's more a result of Saturday Night Wrist, the clutch sure exacerbates it though). All of these things add up and before you know it some lady in an SUV with AB plates has crushed your frame. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Home for the holidays so I visited my baby out in the garage.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"That's the rear end of a free man. That rear end is going out tonight - maybe to a club, maybe to a nightclub."

the Int'l Motorcycle Supershow was today and I 'needed' more gear. I bought two helmets, a second jacket and gloves but I really just needed the pants.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
RIP Neil :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got my new helmets in the mail today (with a brokerage charge of $101.16, loving UPS horse cocks). The Wall O' Lids is complete.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aw come on, don't hold back, officer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You'd be correct. I'm 32 and resigned to being a Bald Dude now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quebec too, but they'll also do it if you're French and not Catholic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yesterday I suited up and rode to Port Dover for my first time as a motorcyclist. Ordinarily it's about a 1.25 hour ride, but there are still blockades in solidarity with Wet'suwet'en in Caledonia, so the detour made it about two hours. It was also cold as gently caress, and brutally windy - I don't think I've ever been slapped around by the wind so much on the GSX-R. Crosswinds combined with fronts coming off of oncoming tractor-trailers gave me that split second feeling that I'd actually been hit by something solid. My leathers are perforated too (and I am dumb and didn't layer as much as I could have), so I was chilled to the bone.

Anyway it was pretty dead - it is the middle of March, after all. I also couldn't stay very long. Lots of Harleys as you might expect, a couple of cool little oddities but largely your generic Cruisergrandpa crowd. I tried to process these photos late last night after work, but I think I may have missed some exposure/contrast settings. That, coupled with the overcast weather, means they're kinda boring grey shots but I enjoyed taking them.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why are they seen as so dangerous that bike manufacturers all but ceased making them? Is it the combination of 'prone to flip in untrained hands' and 'rear axle much heavier than a bike' that was just crushin' preteen hillbillies to death all over the place?

We had one at the summer camp I worked, as some sort of utility vehicle. I never saw our maintenance guy do anything on it but bomb around the property with zero cargo in tow. That place was sketchy as gently caress. They also had a John Deere 420 tractor, which we'd make tons of jokes about, and then get stoned and drive it around with the front bucket arms loaded with several 2ft-diameter logs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Carth Dookie posted:

No, gently caress sidecars. They are unnatural

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
First time attaching the Sony action cam to my RAM mount today. Observations:
- I wish the battery lasted longer. This is true of the Sena 10C on my helmet as well, but drat this Sony chews through batteries.
- I forgot to record in 4K, but that doesn't really matter.
- I should look into some sort of vibration-reduction options. The camera does some really trippy poo poo when the bike is shaking - it's not unwatchable but it could be better.
- I need to find a second mounting spot for my other action cam. MotoGP 'butt closeup' would be cool but I'm not a good enough rider, don't have a gyroscopic mount, and my non-biker friends wouldn't really appreciate it. Ideas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's what the 10C on my helmet is for, although you're right another angle would be nice. Where's a good place on a GSX-R fairing to put a forward-facing camera?

right arm posted:

iphone 6 doesn't have a stabilizer in its camera which is what vibrations kill

Oh really? I wonder if there's a way to turn that off on the Sony cams. Thanks!

EDIT: Suppose the stabilizer might be what's eating the batteries so quickly too, eh?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 19, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

Is this Vancouver?

I have been contemplating a Sena 10C Evo vs GoPro Max. What is your opinion of your 10C, besides battery life?

It's Toronto.

The Sena 10C is fine. I only really use it for the camera - not quite confident enough to listen to tunes while riding, I don't know anyone else with a comms system to test it out and I sure as poo poo ain't going to make phone calls on the road. The camera is fine, I wish I had waited until they released the Evo because all my other cameras will do 4K... Might upgrade at some point, though. Only complaints are that I wish the battery lasted longer with the camera - although I guess the ~three hours of straight filming it tends to last is more than enough, realistically, and nor do my Sony FDR-X3000s last much longer than that. That and the headphones are kind of a pain to install in helmets and I always find one side to be louder than the other - whether this is a loose connection from forcing things or the other driver is just slightly out-of-place I still haven't figured out.

If you get the Evo or Max, LMK how you like them. I've got a GoPro Fusion (gently caress GoPro for ending support for older devices) that I've been meaning to get some 360 footage with this season, and the Evo looks... well, 'worth it' is a stretch but yeah I need that 4K.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Conversely, show me your lowest clip-ons.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Renaissance Robot posted:

A fuckin pickelhaub? Really?

Came here to say this; it really completes the whole look.

Slavvy posted:

Just imagine the micropenis on this winner, yikes.

I thought the correlation was the bigger the vehicle, the smaller the dick, but you're right there's got to be a better formula that factors in carrying a gun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
'Sup TW200 learner bike crew? Did my test at Rider Training Institute ten years ago and picked the teewee. Loved it. I was poorly-equipped though and got the laces of my Vietnam-era jungle boots caught in the footpeg and fell over at a stop. They let me keep the piece of clutch lever that snapped off; I've still got it somewhere.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Nice shot, nice bike. What camera & glass are you shooting with?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aren't they also a straight-up stolen BMW design?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"He ran a stop sign."

*proceeds to run stop sign on the sidewalk at probably more than the speed limit*

Also this

Martytoof posted:

That poor bike

:(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just got back from a cottage trip with some friends. In the interest of freeing up an extra seat in the rental van, I followed along riding Shai-Hulud. The last few hundred metres were on a recently-graveled road, and it was a bit dicey but on the other hand I got to spin the rear tire a bit and now I really want a dirtbike. Here's a rare photo of me actually wearing proper gear.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 15, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

Finally got a chance to watch The Doctor, The Tornado & The Kentucky Kid. Fantastic. Looks like 12 O'Clock Boys is on the Criterion Channel so I've got something else to watch til Sunday lol.

12 O'Clock Boys is great, you're going to love it. And yeah, all three of Mark Neale's films are really good. I think FASTEST might be the best one even if it does focus almost entirely on Rossi aging and injuring himself. Oh yeah, it also did go to print like right before Simoncelli died so there are interviews with him but no dedication, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
who or what is aerostitch dad