Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Why is that VTR lying on its side? Is it going to be okay? :ohdear:

I am seriously considering switching up to a 83-86 CB650SC just for the gauge cluster alone:

This is glorious and I want it. :c00l:

vvvv Oh my god, I can't believe I walked into that.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Federal max speed limit was 55mph back then, down to a federal mandate to have the "55" on your speedometer highlighted. You wouldn't want to go 75mph on 1980 rubber anyway.

I read something about those hitches a few months ago but can't find it yet. Instead enjoy this writeup of the story behind that photo, he rode the bike out of the forest after the Pinto choked out and died: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/07/26/the-story-behind-that-photo-of-the-pinto-in-front-of-the-mt-st-helens-eruption

quote:

He made his way back down the mountain after being quickly overtaken by the ash cloud. He was completely blinded, and had to drive on the opposite side of the road steering by staying right on the opposite side of the road heading into oncoming traffic, but encountered nobody going up. The car choked out after a while and he rode his bent motorcycle out of the mountains back to the room he had rented.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Stop posting renders, that photo is too nice to be real.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Couldn't ride it though.

Wooden start.
:golfclap:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The one at night with the headlightless driver is something. I had the same questions as the dude. I’m glad that he had video of it to review later though.

“What happened?”
“You’ve been in a motorcycle accident...”
“I know that. What happened?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

I loved that game but it left me disappointed as an adult that jumping over cows on a sportbike really isn't a part of my day to day riding experience

get a sumo

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Well that’s a thing.

In before loderunner posts evbikehype.png

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Guess I should ride to Bishop Castle in Colorado some time.

To keep on the pics theme, Iused to live in this “castle” in Golden, a few blocks from Coors:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My current map solution is kind of garbo and I think clothes-pinning maps to the top flap of my tank bag would be an improvement.

That’s less about how good a solution it is and more about how unusable small and narrow the Cortech map flap is.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah, irritating taper and a thick Velcro flap that couldn’t be more in the way and hard to use. Good bag otherwise but I don’t use my phone when touring, just paper maps, so it’s annoying.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
[ASK] me about my Bike Boner Skill

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
After a decade Zero has finally updated their SR line. It no longer looks like an anemic 2006 MT-03.

Old:

New:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 4, 2021

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Can it charge in an hour yet, or does it still have the anemic 4+ hour onboard thing?

I want 150 mile range and 1 hour charging (let's say 0 to 80% to be nice) and less than $10,000. Well and I need a garage to put it in. But then I'll buy one, yep
My '18 SR charged in ~an hour (6kW J1772 charging), this one might allow 12kW but I haven't checked (you'd also need to find a relatively rare J1772 EVSE that'll go that high).

What you want is DC charging to get past the 1C (1 hour) barrier, nfcknblvbl's energica and the LiveWire have that. Zero still doesn't.

The $10k barrier's going to be the last hurdle on your list, and I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
:swoon: I dig those bold new graphics!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Supradog posted:

if it does not jump to 6:12, go to that manually.
joke 1: the forward controls are to keep the front down

joke 2: american bosozoku

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Not sure if it already got posted in any of the threads but Revzilla’s YouTube channel took a Trail 90 (and a Trail 125) up the Dalton Hwy to Prudhoe Bay and beyond.

https://youtu.be/Geb_QFxp_hs

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

helno posted:

Ari quietly overhauled it and posted the video today.

I was surprised how many screws he had to drill out. I guess I thought Japanese engineering magic would protect it. :shobon:

Bet he loved cutting off the spark plug cable.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Never learn about your heroes.

To me jetski motorcycle guy will always be a man of mystery, riding the highwaves for all us sinners.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Great thread; voted 55555.5

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Bally Jerry pranged my bike, right in the transom scuppers.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
tired: bold new graphics
wired: old boo graphics

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It clearly says it’s a Suzuki Yoshimura :smuggo:

GS750 maybe? I don’t know their whole line but that engine looks very much like a clone of a DOHC CB.

It’s got a cafe racer seat and the airbox is removed and replaced with pod intakes that don’t work. These two things usually come as a set.

Edit: oh, laff, the forks say “Yoshimura” too. I was proud of myself for being able to read the katakana :shobon:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 20, 2022

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The Home Brew subforum of ElectricMotorcycleForum is full of posters that wish their projects looked that solid.

It’s the Wild West out there for EV motorcycle projects. Something about it being more achievable than a car conversion, and less dorky than a homebrew e-bike.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does an electric even need any instruments besides a speedo? Maybe a couple idiot lights, but if there's no gears and no possibility of over-revving the motor then what else is there to really pay attention to? :shrug:
Minimum would be speedo, odo, and state-of-charge (battery level), yeah.

My zero is the generation before they added anything fancy so its dash is bare bones. Off the top of my head: clock, speedometer, odometer, state of charge, four idiot lights (ABS, CEL, Everythings-ok, and one other), two bars showing power and torque, and two configurables which can cycle through motor RPMs, guess-o-meter (range remaining), battery temp, current/avg watts-per-mile, and a few other forgettables.

Temp readout is only really needed because my bike has no active cooling so on long hot trips you'll see slower charging.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’ve never even taken my head off but dang isn’t that a lot of gasket surface.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Anschluss? Nein danke!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The Nope bike is an Esse Esse 9, from what I recall.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sure it’s made by Harley, designed by Harley, has the Harley name and branding, and is sold exclusively at Harley dealerships.

But is it a Harley?

the H-D brand is so tied up in itself that I’m not completely taking the piss with this question

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1628908305526423554

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

that gauge cluster could have come out of the 70s
That gauge cluster looks almost identical to my 1997 Honda’s.

… ok, yeah, you’re not wrong. :sweatdrop:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Haha, good one Punchy.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Going through the toolbag for my wife's old Can-Am before I throw it out. It comes with a screwdriver handle, three drivers (torx, ph, flats), pliers, some allen wrenches, and a 10/13 open-ended wrench.

The one thing in the bag that's giving me pause is this double-ended 7.5mm wrench:

I can't guarantee the PO didn't add this but I choose to believe this is a Can-Am original. So glad that we sold that one before I ran into the apparently many 7.5mm bolts on it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Grudging respect. It even has a centerstand clearly taken off another bike.

Edit: an ADV dad can afford real Klím(tm) luggage and wouldn’t build this out of kitty litter boxes.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Can't believe none of you recognize jonny290.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

bizwank posted:

He claims the bike is actually the perfect bike for a “relaxing ride,”
That fits considering the “engine as an un-stressed member” frame design :haw:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
FortNine has a new version of the waterproof gloves review where they acknowledge being wrong and tried a new testing method: https://youtu.be/s_bCmahsa1A

I’m one of those people that likes Ryan’s videos but still can’t really stand the guy so I don’t mind a new presenter on their channel.

Also I love my Klím Badlands gloves.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
doom eternal is cringey but also has dash so it;s impossible to say if it is better or not,.

https://twitter.com/siraulokapo/status/1653268055441702913

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Check the back; does it have a DOT sticker or not?

EDIT: https://www.bellhelmets.com/news/motorcycles/one-moto-2023.html nice

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I like to think the topbox is full of 10kg weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Saw this parked at work today
I love it, it looks like my neighbor's "Ypan"!

Seriously though I've never seen one so new/clean. Hope you give the owner some light-hearted grief about putting it in the motorcycle parking.