Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Two movies I saw when I was a kid, placing them somewhere from the 70's to the early 80's, I have a vivid imagination, so some of this poo poo may be wrong or made up.

The first was a cartoon movie about a young elephant that maybe gets orphaned, there was maybe an evil vizier-type dude as the villain who gets his comeuppance at the end, and it seemed to last about 4 hours, and seemed to have fairly ornate drawings.

The second, another animated movie, but with marionettes, like a Thunderbirds/Joe 90 thing, except the lead guy fell in love with a robot girl marionette, and at the end they were in a boat on the ocean and discovered he was a robot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Light Gun Man posted:

Second one might be Mad Monster Party

I checked it out on IMDB, that looks like it, cheers!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Torquemada posted:

Two movies I saw when I was a kid, placing them somewhere from the 70's to the early 80's, I have a vivid imagination, so some of this poo poo may be wrong or made up.

The first was a cartoon movie about a young elephant that maybe gets orphaned, there was maybe an evil vizier-type dude as the villain who gets his comeuppance at the end, and it seemed to last about 4 hours, and seemed to have fairly ornate drawings.

I’m in bed with a cold-flu thing, so I did my homework: this was ‘Hugo The Hippo’, from Hungary in 1975. Really un-pc, blood and terror and massively psychedelic visuals, plus songs from Burl Ives and the loving Osmonds. No wonder my generation are so hosed up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Stephen Rea?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Katt posted:

TV series maybe?

I remember him and some girl running around somewhere in Ireland or London being chased by armed people. Multiple movies/episodes like that. It was like a lower budget Snatch minus the comedy. Contemporary 80/90s Britain. Gangster and stuff and certainly the IRA which he may have inadvertently assisted but not because he cared. The girl might have been IRA too.

He doesn’t have anything like that in his Imdb credits. He did play a soldier in a Paul Greengrass film, but it’s not what you’re describing. Any chance you’re confusing him with another raggy rear end English guy?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
i’m dumb

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This sounds Spike Lee-ish.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
No need to ask, it’s definitely that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's always nice to hear terms like "sacred" and "God Emperor" tossed around by someone who's clearly lost their mind.

Someone clearly dropped acid and read Dune.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Wild Geese?
Richard Burton is trying to get on the plane, gets shot running after it as it takes off, while uh, Richard Harris(?) tries to grab his hand.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 26, 2018

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tsietisin posted:

It happens at the end of Heat where All Pacino uses the light of a plane taking off to work out where Robert Di Nero is.

My brain was like ‘this could be a million movies’, but didn’t remember this could apply to one of my favourites :doh:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Let me be the first to make sure it’s not Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Origami Dali posted:

^you mean Temple of Doom.

Except no one dies in Doom, there’s just bones in the spike room: Raiders, there’s Forrestal already impaled when they enter and Satipo impaled on the way out. So no, I don’t mean Temple Of Doom.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vavrek posted:

The Parallax View

It crops up from time to time because of the scene where Beatty gets on the airliner and pays the stewardess for his ticket like he’s catching a bus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Trevor Hale posted:

Oh! This happened in the last season of Lost, too. In the flash sideways, Jack has a son. And as he starts to realize that world isn’t real, he still bonds with his not real son.

not dad ‘bonds’ with not son

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fiscal Conservative posted:

exactly it! Thanks a bunch. Reading the plot, I don't think I saw the beginning of the movie; I'll have to rewatch.

Maybe you’ll get a raise.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
gently caress, I know this one, it’s on the tip of my tongue. I think they actually say the collar of the bomb is magnetic which is why the cylinder keeps moving toward the edge.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phanatic posted:

Close. The Spy Who Loved Me. Can't find a clip, but he needs to get through an armored door and the only explosive big enough is the HE section from a Polaris missile, but if he touches it to the side of the missile while extracting it it'll explode.

Here's from the script:

Bond: Blast!

Dude #1: What's the problem?

Bond: I mustn't touch the impulse conductor circuit.

Dude #2: This ring houses the impulse conductor circuit.

Bond: It's magnetic. I mustn't touch it with any part of the detonator.

Dude #1 What happens if you do?

Bond: It'll go off.

Also that guy died yesterday, weirdly enough.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Post from a friend of mine on FB:

Excalibur?

e: it’s almost definitely this. They probably watched it in music because it features Carmina Burana.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 3, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

moller posted:

Oh, you know, just showing the nine year olds two and a half hours of completely crackers Boorman. Yeah, the one after Zardoz and Exorcist II. You know, for the kids.

Helen Mirren is drat delicious, it’s never too early to learn that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

therattle posted:

I hear he has balls on his chin quite often.

What is the origin of this? It always comes across as some playground humour “ha ha wolverine’s a bender LOL” thing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bandiet posted:

I've just remembered one scene from some movie. Someone goes to meet their friend(?) who is teaching a class. They stand in the doorway and watch as the girl is teaching. She is blonde and writing on a chalkboard about Marxism(?) There is a testy exchange between her and a male student. This is a color film from the 60s or 70s...

Anything else? This is familiar.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hannibal Rex posted:

I saw some sort of historical drama or adventure movie set in India. The only scene I really remember from it was of a widow burning, where the, presumably British, main character shoots the young widow so she doesn't get burned alive.

A tv show called ‘The Far Pavilions’ has a sutee ceremony in it, though I don’t remember a coup de grace at the end. Kind of sticks with you, I can’t remember sutee shown in any other western media.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Some sequel to Cherry 2000 I’ve never heard of?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I want to say a paperboy hucks a newspaper onto the drive.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
he molested murdered and mutilated her!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
There’s a moment in The Usual Suspects when the gang are confronted with the difficulty of the assault on the boat when someone says “The news said it’s raining in New York”.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SirStiansen posted:

This was about 25-30 years ago. It was a trailer of a movie with a plot that somehow got stuck and never let go. From what i can remember it was an american movie.

The story was that it was about a guy, i believe it could have been a college movie, in which the narrator talked about a guy, between 20-30 perhaps who had it all, good grades, good family, friends and a nice girlfriend, and then it asked the question of why he killed himself as he clearly had it all mapped out.

I dont know if it was suppose to be suicide or murder, no clue. But i have wondered since what this movie was about and ofcourse which movie it was.

That early Keanu movie?

e: Permanent Record.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My first thought was Ghost honestly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Wraith, featuring Charlie Sheen and hot tub boobies, could almost be considered a killer car movie.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The source material for Altered Carbon is way way edgier and more energetic than the show. There’s no loving gang of unimpressive hippies in a Canadian forest either.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Parachute posted:

what a weird and mediocre show; it feels like i was a part of some focus group for watching it and i can't really explain why

Mediocre is the right word. I get what you mean about the focus group too: if I’d been specially selected to watch this a year ago, with the caveat that it was a visual story board that still needed a ton of edits and inserts, an actual soundtrack, effects polishing, and a complete story overhaul, I’d have been extremely impressed.

Good things include the baby, Werner, the Ughnaught, the robot, and the speeder troopers. The set design and decoration and the costumes were all on point too.

Bad things, almost everything else. Lots of poor cgi work, incomprehensibly bad music choices, Gina and Carl, the ‘simple people of the land’ episode, making the jailbreak boring with that cast, the pathetic rpg ‘gain companions, level up your gear’ feeling throughout, and, most egregiously, that the initial episode predicament ‘bad guy wants thing’ was resolved eight episodes later with the thrilling ‘slightly more powerful bad guy wants thing’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
There should be a fifth brother, Chad Hemsworth, who’s super handsome and ripped.