Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
softheavy, I have that same PeeWee doll(missing an arm) sitting on the desk of my studio. It actually sits right above my midi keyboard.

I also seem to have your cat.

awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Still waiting for my Shruth-1 kit.

If you haven't checked out this awesome synth, there are some demos here: http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1c

As cool as that picture looks, what I'm getting looks more like:

Still trying to decide if I want to solder this fucker myself, or hire RivensBitch to do it for me :) I do find soldering fun, but I also want my Shruthi1 to be reliable/strong.

I also acquired and built a Meeblip, which I am loving patched through the Monotron's filter, and sequenced via StepPolyArp on the iPad using CoreMIDI:

Along with all of this came a gaggle of iPad apps for sequencing and triggering of external synths, an iPad camera connection kit and a Line6 MIDI Mobilizer so that I can use MIDI with my iPad as well.

renderful fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 8, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Here's a demo of some acid-ish bass I made going from Meeblip through the Monotron filter while I tweak the filter and a few of the Meeblip params: http://soundcloud.com/renderful/meeblip-demo-acid

If a fun synth for tweaking, and sounds pretty good raw. The fact that there are no menus makes it a tweaker's paradise.

edit: here are some more bass demos from the Meeblip Noisepages group: http://soundcloud.com/wizards-of-zen/sets/meeblip-8-bit-bass-samples

renderful fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 8, 2011

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

communistdew posted:

Nice. I just ordered a Meeblip myself. Waiting for the backorder from the sale. I couldn't say no. Excited to run it through my Monotron. Now I just have to figure out how to build a sequencer... hmm.

Edit: Yeah I just checked and you can still get the solder it yourself and build-a-nice-enclosure-out-of-wood-and-your-carpentry-talents version for $59 + shipping from Canada (about $12, ugh). On backorder til the 4/29 though.

Awesome, I imagine you'll have a lot of fun with it. I'd like to build my own, sturdier version with built in sequencer at some point soon. I already built a simple sequencer out of Sparkfun parts(my wife works there weeee). I just used an Arduino Uno and a MIDI Shield. For a prebuilt MIDI sequencer shield(expansion) for the Arduino, I recommend: http://www.beat707.com/w/ I'm also a fan of this Arduino sequencer project: http://beatseqr.com/

Having an iPad, there are tons of awesome options, but the DIY element is awesome as well.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

communistdew posted:

Oh nice. I hadn't run across that beat707 shield. Looks promising. I'd love a link to how you made the simple one from the Sparkfun parts! I'm amassing a large wishlist from them for an Arduinome, so if it's just as simple as getting the shield then I'll grab one of those too!

I might make a thread for DIY electronic instruments like Arduinomes/sequencers/synths, etc. once I get things underway.

Then I'll post a picture of everything in this thread. Sorry for the derail.

Agreed about the Beat707. Very impressed with their product and their Kickstarter funding approach.

About the Arduinome, I'd love to see your current(and final) parts list! That sounds like a fun one. I love my Launchpad, but a self contained grid controller would be awesome, in my quest to get away from the screen from time to time :).

As far as my simple sequencer is concerned, what I mean by simple is that I can currently control tempo and note length(though I haven't gotten note length working in relation to tempo, yet[I'm coding it myself, using many examples around the community, which I'll be happy to share.]) Also, I don't believe I'm working with exact musical time due to some analogReads. I'll be happy to share my code once I clean it up slightly.

If you look at the MIDI Shield, there are 2 pots, 3 buttons and 2 LEDs(red, green). With this setup, I think a decent, MIDI Clock syncable arpeggiator/sequencer could be devised. So I'm thinking, a play button, a stop button and a shift button. The knobs are dual function due to the shift button: tempo/scale(scrolling through an array of predefined scales) then note length/velocity.

I'm not sure if you code, but I'm open to suggestions, and will post my code in a bit for you to take a look at/do something with for yourself.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

dum2007 posted:

Portable and versatile and apparently the pads are better on the AKAI than on the KORGs.

Even got the LEDs flashing as a two-deck VU meter on Traktor via MIDI outputs: http://www.twitvid.com/ULMFF

I love the 2 way midi/light control on this and I love the arpeggiator on the nanoPad2. aaaah too many products. Definitely looking to replace my original nanoPad.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

The PG-200 is just a programmer for the JX-3p and MKS-30, right? It doesn't actually produce sound anyhow. Do you have one of those synth to hook it up to? I'm referencing: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/pgs.php and http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jx3p.php

Regardless, free stuff is beautiful!

Also, rt4, I believe it works similarly to a guitar tuner, rather than requiring special pickups you just plug the guitar in and it attempts to track the notes.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I saw that little bass synth on the Shuthi-1 forums, and became interested in it. I definitely would like to check it out for myself, but I've still yet to assemble my Shruthi-1.

On the subject of the MeeBlip, I absolutely love the thing and have found that it has an amazing breadth of sound possibilites, only a portion of which are in the bass frequencies.

On the subject of the Arduino, you can easily get it to transmit MIDI via it's serial interface, so you could definitely control any MIDI device with one. You can do it without any extra hardware, or you can do what I did and use the Sparkfun Arduino MIDI Shield: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9595 I've been working on making the smallest sequencer/arpeggiator that I can possibly make, using only the 3 buttons, 2 pots and 2 leds on the MIDI Shield.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Startyde posted:

Started this a few months ago, just finished up the paint job at work yesterday.

Lopsided with half the polyphony because one of the pair of 6581s ended up funky. :|

I built a black sammich from the first run, that's equipped with 8581s. When the kit creator opened a last run of orders for them, with this white acrylic as a choice, I had to jump on it. Now I've got some ebony and ivory kinda thang going on. :fap:

Bad.rear end.

I'm trying to get a Commodore 64 with MSSIAH from a guy 30 miles away from me today. This thing looks so much more convenient though. Hell, I could always use the SIDs after. I still need to get up the balls to build my Shruthi-1.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Startyde posted:

I think that the MSSIAH tape is one hell of an achievement and if you're sticking with chip for chip's sake than it's certainly more 'authentic' than the standalone/ground-up solutions. If the price is right you should jump on it either way.
Shruthi looks like one hell of a project and I'd like to pick up a kit but I don't do paypal. The build doesn't look too bad. Did you also get the enclosure? That's slick. The few times I've seen them in person they've just been in a cardboard box or in a pile. :(

Here's the girls together, ignore my horrible paintjob on the original black one. LCD config is black on green, LEDs are green.

The Commodore with MSSIAH is $300. Good price, in my opinion, but I don't have it right now. Hopefully no one buys it, so that I can grab it in a week or two. If all else fails, I'll continue to use Plogue Chipsounds. It's quite impressive in its grit.

I did get the enclosure for the Shruthi-1, I've just been too cowardly to get into a soldering project that large. I almost contracted the build out, but I decided that would ruin half the fun and break part of the connection to the instrument for me. I'd also like to get multiple Shruthi-1's, as you can daisy chain them for polyphonic action.

Beautiful boxes you have there!(even the black one looks good. call it... ACID WASHED!) What's your current workflow with them? How many voices can you get out of each? Are the lights at the top for sequencing 3 parts?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

slardel posted:

I've yet to test it out but the H2 actually comes with one (sitting next to it in the picture).

Right, but the Redhead Windscreens are REALLY nice: http://vimeo.com/6321934

The built in one would have clipped like crazy and then flown off in that scenario.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

poxin posted:

Yamaha HS80M's

I hear the Axe FX2 is godly, via MuffWiggler. Is it uber-flexible in terms of effects chaining and customization?

How are the Yamaha monitors? I need something better than these MAUDIO Truth monitors.

renderful fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 12, 2012

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You're right, Behringer. Budget, regardless.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Oddly enough, it looks like that BECK refers to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_(manga)

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

HTML5 posted:

Access Virus B desktop. It has to be one of the best VA's I've ever heard.

Beautiful machine! I'd love to have a weekend with one of these bad boys! :swoon:

Post some sounds of patches you've made, please!

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Synths, a bottle of Buffalo Trace and programming books... a man after my own heart :shlick:

Great setup, I need to finish moving into my new apartment and shoot a picture.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Mutable Instruments MIDIPal:

The MIDIpal is a smart and small MIDI processor. Insert it between a MIDI keyboard (or sequencer) and a MIDI sound module to unleash powerful compositional tools and effects. Arpeggiator, sequencer, MIDI filter, router, MIDI CC LFO and a lot more. I also grabbed an Alesis Q25, so I could have a small-ish real MIDI keyboard controller(USB and standard MIDI) to use with the MIDIPal. Very stoked at the life I can get out of some of my simpler synths with this thing. It's like a bolt on synth MIDI extender.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I have a couple of Rob Papen effects (delay and distort), and they both sound great. I had a few stability issues with the delay in Sonar, though.

RPDelay has some major stability problems all around. You can program it into a state that brings the DAW crashing down. Luckily I got it for free.

Also, the UI/UX pretty bad.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I'm confused. Isn't the definition of ergonomic: comfortable to play?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

fenix down posted:

Good god that thing is huge!

Lol, you may be joking, but the pedal is definitely on a table or stand, while his feet are on the floor.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Unnnnnng.

I recently sold my Evolver Desktop out of necessity. It was the instrument that I most gelled with, but I didn't like having to control it with a generic interface. I'll get an Evolver Keyboard at some point. I love that thing.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Agreed posted:

So many control surfaces surely you could spare just one to a pauper who can only seem to get a shitload of pedals at will right? I have two feet what am I going to do here

I only see one control surface in that picture, in the form of an APC40. The rest are a drum machine, bass synth, dj mixer and kaoss pad. I suppose the Traktor control is also a control surface, albeit one with nothing but buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I like mint green or white on the Sonic Blue JM. Those gold pick guards horrid, but they certainly show a style of their own.