Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Killbot posted:

I got this thing. For some reason the latest version (signature on headstock, I think also new pickups) is pretty hard to find. It looks, plays, and sounds terrific.

drat that is a lovely axe.

Got something new today, been waiting for it to arrive for the past couple of weeks. 2007 Classic 60s Series MIM strat, scalloped, repainted Olympic White, Lace pickups bridge/neck, treble booster circuit. All work done by a luthier in Bulgaria. loving lovely to play; bends and vibrato with no effort. :) 7.25" radius neck, so far I have not been troubled by any "fretting out" on bends either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bazanga posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Did you ship it to Bulgaria or was it a local place?

I bought it from a guy there who had all the work done by a local luthier. Here in Sweden the labor alone would've cost more than I paid for the entire finished guitar.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

sout posted:

Looks great!
Explain scalloping to me, I've never really encountered it. My first guess would be that it would let you do bends by pushing in?

Unless you are using ultra thin strings you would really have to push quite hard. What I like is that there's no resistance for vibrato or bends since your fingertip is not against the wood. Makes everything smoother.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love that Strat. The Yngwie aesthetic is perfection and I really have to try out a scalloped neck someday.

It's worth checking out. I personally love it (for one, it makes finger placement for chords far less crucial), but it's definitely different from playing a normal neck. Honestly can't say that I see any drawbacks to it, though I imagine if you are really grabbing the strings hard things might go sharp...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, the strat I got made me hungry for more Fender necks, so the Les Paul found a new home and was replaced with this. Played a ton of teles at the music store, and this was the one that spoke to me. Even three theoretically identical Teles all sounded and felt different; this one was the brightest and smoothest. 2016 American Standard, got the Broadcaster bridge and Twisted Tele neck pickups. Also has the relief on the back like a Strat which I love since I find the "flat" Tele less comfortable. It was a store demo model so got it for 40% off list. :-)

Now I really need a guitar with humbuckers too, so considering a Dave Murray strat later this year...

edit: stuck some guitar hangers in the hobby room so it can chill with its buddy.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I need to stop buying guitars. '94 MIJ HSS Fender Squier series with Floyd Rose. Got a SD Cool Rails on order for middle pickup, gonna run a Hot Rails neck and something yet to be decided for the bridge. Have a Tele and a Strat with single coils so wanted something that I can use for a little heavier sound.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

widefault posted:

Pretty sure this could go into Stupid Music poo poo as well, but I did buy this. AliExpress SRV #1 copy, $220 during their anniversary sale. Ordered March 30th, delivered today.

One small issue, but I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Seriously, the outline is right there! Surprisingly, the neck isn't in there crooked and doesn't move at all. Fret work is really good, especially when compared to most new guitars I've picked up. Tuned it up, played as it was sent for a little bit and everything seems fine, but I will need to do a proper setup and change strings since it came with 9s and they are floppy as hell. Pickups will likely get changed, maybe the tuners. Doesn't have the custom shop markings or SRV's signature on the back, which is fine with me since that strays in counterfeit territory. And for all the parts that are aged/relic'd, the pickguard isn't even slightly scuffed.

Not a huge fan of chinese copies, but that's a pretty cool guitar nonetheless. If it plays well you might have a really nice piece if you swap in some better pickups and other electronics.

9s on an SRV however is upsetting. The dude loved thick strings.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I decided to get the last thing I wanted for my Clapton guitar collection, the Custom Shop Strat.

It's real nice

Holy poo poo dude.

That is nice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Crossposting from guitar thread. Just got done with pickup swap on a MIJ 1994 Squier Series strat. Went with Hot Rails / Cool Rails / Distortion SD pickups, 500k pots and .022 cap. The Hot Rails are super dark, the Cool Rails make some nice vintage tones especially with the volume dialed back, and the Distortion is classic metal. Double locking Floyd Rose has its pain points but setup and tuned you can beat the poo poo out of the whammy bar and stay in tune.

Noticed the acoustic sound of this particular strat is great. Lots of mids and sustain. My MIM 2006 60s Classic Series is a bit boomier, and my Am Std Tele is bright and sharp. Fun how they all have their own character.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got this from the kids for my bday. Wanted a basic 5-string for fun and this is a well playing though not fancy one (Peavey Millennium BXP).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Picked this up for a song locally. Traynor YCV40 modded with Celestion G12H-100 speaker. Sounds awesome but man, the noise from my Tele is killing me (been spoiled with built in noise gate in my current amp) so going to look into a noise gate to keep it in check.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How much noise are we talking about? I haven't met a properly installed, properly-wound single coil that bothered me that much even with high gain pedals.

It's an American Standard tele so I'd like to imagine the pickups are done right. It's a fair amount of noise that can magically disappear if you stand in the exact right spot facing a certain direction, so it's crap the pickups are, well, picking up. Rolling off the volume reduces it significantly. Seems like a fairly clear cut case for a noise gate.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A local deal I could not refuse.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Traded one of my amps for this. Hellraiser C1 FR.

(edit: I love me some Floyd Rose but changed string gauge from 9s to 10s and it took a bit of fiddling with the setup to get everything right. Sounds great now though and stays in tune through everything :D)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 21, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

widefault posted:

Another day, another unnecessary purchase. Or not, look at it!

Look closer!

Now you can play some Thulsa Doom metal.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

X-posting from Guitar thread (long story associated with it there). Korean made (by Cort) 2008 Fender, "Special Edition Custom" Telecaster with Seymour Duncan humbuckers, neck binding, carved mahogany body, set neck and spalted maple top. A real factory bastard, basically the lovechild of a Tele and a Les Paul.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

betterinsodapop posted:

Picked up a ZVex Double Rock (Vexter version) boost/distortion pedal.

Got it for about $50 off and couldn't help myself.

You can never have too many distortion pedals.

I really want a Metal Zone, grew up with 80s thrash and it just hits the spot.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

H13 posted:

Yeah I kinda knew about Gibson headstocks and stuff before I bought mine. I played a LOT of Les Pauls before I got the one that I did. I guess most Gibson owners kinda think: "That happens to somebody ELSES Les Paul, but it won't happen to m-oh gently caress"

I'm totally done with Gibson though. Won't go near any of their poo poo ever again.

You'd think that a guitar that weighs 2x that of a Strat or Tele would be built so that it can at least sit idle without self destructing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

How much shame do I feel? None whatsoever. :colbert: (edit: the SuperChamp XD is also a new arrival, sweet amp)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

This should be in my hands Monday or Tuesday.

RG655 in Galaxy Black. Found a mint condition one for sale for around half the price of a new one. Always been wanting a really nice shred Ibanez, and was waffling between a newer Indonesian Jem, a Universe and some others when this came along. Super thin neck, Edge tremolo, and DiMarzio pickups. It should rock. Will be replacing a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR in the collection.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 12, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yessss.
That is the configuration of Ibanez RG-style (although to be honest I wish very much I could get those same H/S/H guitars with a hard-tail bridge because I am really tired of locking trems) that sustains me and forms the cornerstone of my instrument preference. Of course, the stock pickups almost always have to go, but the 5-way wiring gives you so many great tones, and the ergonomics are so spot-on: this is the ideal instrument for me. The only questions I'd have upon first use are along these lines: a) How well does the guitar retain treble when the volume knob ia rolled back for a glassy, bright clean tone? b) does either or both humbucker benefit from being run in parallel (in which case I will install a push-pull pot for that), and how's the neck? Are the frets level, can I get really nice low action on it? How is it acoustically? Is it bright and loud or muddy and weak? That's how I know if I've got a "keeper."

That's a great finish and the neck looks fantastic. I hope you'll have some nice pickups installed later, and maybe a certain value of capacitor if necessary to retain those glassy highs when rolled-off to clean, after you're sure the fit is good. I'm crazy for those guitars. :swoon:

You can take a look at the RG8571 or RG1451 which are very similar models except with a hardtail bridge.

As for the pickups, I intend to keep them on this one; big fan of this particular mix of DiMarzios. Most of the RGs have weak pickups, but this one's equipped with Air Norton, True Velvet and Tone Zone which I love. :)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It made it here!

Can't find a scratch or nick anywhere, just beautiful. Even got the tags :-)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OK, I know I am gambling a bit on this one, but the handful of people who have actually gotten their hands on one seem to think it's a damned nice piece of gear for the money.

It's the "Harley Djenton", 6 string fanned fret "baritone" (25.5" - 27" scale). It's so loving cheap, and comes with locking tuners, graphite nut, and their own pickups for the 2018 models seem massively improved. At < 300 freedom dollars I couldn't NOT buy it. Should be here next week.

This guy seems to make it sound nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xOXMYlt7LU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCi9fyz5o0

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 19, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Oh man did Gibson come out with their new Hammered line already?

Hammer reliced Les Paul Standard, now only $11,999

Hammer reliced Les Paul Standard in vintage toaster mint green, limited edition, $17,999

ask for it

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Discussing a potential trade with a dude tomorrow. May get this if we end up in agreement, uncertain so far though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

What are you trading for it?

Ended up trading a Tele + some cash. It's a Custom 22 10 top with Lundgren pickups (actually made about an hour from where I live).

It is SAH-WEET

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I never knew I needed this in my life but now I am not sure how I ever survived without it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Everyone should own a Big Muff of some variety imo

Your mom should be all set then

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Going to try this one out with a 4x8" cab for lower volume home use.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Came in the biggest god drat case I've ever seen.

Schecter Jeff Loomis JLV-7 NT. Don't see these often.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Given that he went to Jackson a bit ago that will probably remain so :v:

Hehe, yeah. They are not common used though, so happy to have gotten my hands on one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Picked one of these up the other day, just got around to trying it out. Plugged it into the FX loop of my Hughes&Kettner and it works great. Good fun when you just want to jam a bit.

Same dude was selling one of these super cheap (around 150EUR), and I figured it was time to trade up from the Nektar LX61+ I've been using. HUGE difference in feel; the Fatar keys really kick rear end.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2019

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Siivola posted:

It's real nice.

Edit: Bonus content:

Ridiculous how much guitar you can get for reasonable money these days. The CV Teles are amazing too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sold my Schecter V (never played it) and decided I needed a V in my collection after all. Got this from a local builder who does a bunch of weird stuff. Body is from a Jackson, not sure about the neck. Seymour Duncan TB-4 Trembucker and a Floyd. Hand painted by some american dude once. Plays great and sounds really nice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So Math posted:

I got a wind controller for cheap last week and I just can't put it down. :)

Nice! Been looking at these and others on and off, but would prefer one with more traditional saxophone fingering. The Rolands look nice but are kind of pricey. Yamaha WX controllers pop up now and then but not sure how wise it is getting older tech like that....

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Guessing most haven’t seen one of these :-)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

excellent bird guy posted:

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago

Fire up BASS 1 patch and go play 80s hits. I only have a DX7 emulator but it may have been used to play Highway to the Danger Zone once or twice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I am hopefully getting one of these this fall.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petesmithfusion/jimi-hendrix-practice-and-recording-amplifier/description

Can never have too many amps. (And I love the story behind it)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 14, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know how anybody plays scalloped fretboards. You can't stabilize yourself against anything so it feels way too floaty.

Try writing on a piece of paper with a pen but you have to keep your hand suspended in air instead of resting on the desk. That's what it feels like to play scalloped fretboards. Why would you do that to yourself?

What do you mean "stabilize yourself"? It's not like you are carefully balancing the string at a perfect spot to make it work, you push down with your finger just like on a non-scalloped guitar.

I have a scalloped strat and it's a really sweet guitar to play. I suppose that if you are used to pushing down hard on the strings you can run into trouble, but the same goes for a jumbo fretted guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Squier VII, with some custom wound single coils from Lundgren here in Sweden. Been wanting one for a long time and got it in a trade this week.