Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm disappointed that Celestial Tree Sloth Attacks aren't a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

That poor kobold.

I'm actually wondering- Belkar is still supposed to "draw his last breath" relatively soon (before the end of the in-world year, whenever THAT is), and while he does kill a lot of kobolds he also got screwed by the Oracle, so maybe this random kobold will even the score.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the central conflict of the entire strip is the age-old question of caster supremacy. You've got Xykon who has the most power because he cheesed sorcery, while Roy, the leader of the party, is a fighter who has to think strategically.

Tarquin is clearly the social monster, but unfortunately for him this is not Exalted. Elan is the player who just wants to have fun goshdarnit and stumbled into a nifty prestige class in the process.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There's still a gate in the North after all this, and it's supposed to be surrounded by the mother of all dungeons, so that would make a great closing arc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed.

Miko is every bit a caricature of the way D&D grognards play a paladin. Lawful Stupid is just the tip of the iceberg. The jumping to conclusions, the rampant murder of anything registering as Evil, the warped logic pointing how the world revolves around them...Miko was straight up caricature.

The other paladins, each and every one, are awesome. Some of the stuff they say and do are what paladins should be, rather than the twisted Miko-esque mess so many think they are.

It's similar to how Roy the Fighter is anything but a dumb meat shield, and the whole "make the alignment system make sense" argument Celia used in their trial.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Buffer Overflow posted:

We're all worried that Rich get busted for tax evasion and that his 15 year prison sentence could have an effect on regular updates.

Eh, they treat that as a white collar crime. He'll have an internet connection.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nevermind the localisms, his editor will have their work cut out for them.

"Okay Garth, before I read the latest draft, remember what we talked about. If I read this, will I find any scenes with assrape or head trauma?"
"Haha, no, you don't need to worry about that. No arserape in there at all."

And then the editor opens the draft, immediately looks up at Ennis and sighs heavily.

I will say this for Garth Ennis- he totally avoided all the usual "I am edgy" cliches in Dan Dare. It's a straightforward modern update of the character, with a good war-story vibe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really hope there's a new strip soon.

(EDIT: With my luck it'd just intensify the debate.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is like the last episode of The Prisoner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Got my coloring book and magnet, the notepad is still to come. Yay!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

Now let's be fair here. The trick has worked several times thus far.

It's a dirty trick, though.

The cure is worse than the disease.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So Roy's 50/50 on supernaturally-aided jumping working in his favor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

What always confused me about "Turn Undead" is how good of an action is that, really? Sure, the undead are no longer attacking the cleric and his or her party, but now they've scattered to eat other, innocent folk who don't have the protection of a Cleric.

Most of the time you're in a dungeon so they just run off to wherever. Early D&D was about getting treasure, heroics were incidental.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Now make a goblins thread.

Hatethreads aren't allowed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
From a certain point of view.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say the plot's starting to drag a little for me. It feels less like the action is moving forward and more like it's stalling into an endless series of "Roy tries this"/"Durkula has a contingency plan!" reversals.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm liking the decompression strips. Haley and Elan were particularly missed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"Nod, get treat." is the funniest thing I've read in this strip in a long time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also everyone's wearing heavy coats so if the hands were just lines it would look awkward.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

It's weird how the goblins in Order of the Stick manage to be far more likeable and sympathetic, despite being overtly evil, than the goblins from Goblins, who are currently learning that child murder is actually an objectively good act.

It's the old protagonist-centered morality thing, with a dash of "gently caress the establishment"- once you assume that your characters are the righteous oppressed, anything they do is righteous.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like the terrible ones like Toughness were meant to be factored in by your DM for other things.

The way Monte Cook talks about it makes it sound like a pure "trap" feat, but it has one specific purpose- you're playing a Level 1 Wizard and you want to not die. It really seems to be there just to patch over a problem people had (which is the problem feats have in general- it was never really clear what design space they occupied so they became a catch-all.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think the diversions get a little long but I don't have that problem with this at all. It's a monster fight. Those are fun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Posting Goblins never fails! :neckbeard:

But is it worth the cost...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The main thrust of Dune is it’s critiquing “Great Man” figures, both sacred and secular- Paul Atreides, the Messiah, the Kwisatz Hadrach, is just a slave of forces bigger than himself. There’s also stuff in there about politics and ecology and so on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The stance Redcloak's taking now feels more like accelerationism than anything else- let it all get destroyed now, maybe next time it'll be better.

And it's not like the dwarves' proposal is ideal either, it makes sense for Redcloak not to trust them, but where he goes astray is not being willing to look critically at his own plan.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Feels like this is the way of most online comics.

Yeah it's pretty typical. I feel like OotS is one of the few cases where it actually worked.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Ah: Meant to ask; What's a recommended Xykon quote for an avatar? Other than "Power is Power?"

The Evil: A Growth Industry panel. "We're Always Hiring!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I was never fully in love with the Godsmoot stuff, like it's important to the story but it felt like an abrupt shift at the time and a lot of the main cast didn't have a lot to do in it. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me as much as other diversions.

And again it probably reads better all at once.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I've actually played a couple of Trek games back in the day. Mostly using the ancient FASA Star Trek rules that weren't great, actually. There's also a weird thing that happens when you introduce ranks into an RPG group that's used to everyone having an equal say in where to go next. It takes some getting used to, and some groups never handle it well at all. Unless you're very careful about which player you let outrank the others, you can run into some pretty serious quarterbacking issues.

I mean it's rare that anyone in a Star Trek episode ever pulls rank. Kirk is in charge, sure, but that's easy to handwave. Just be casual about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The first games to deal with this idea were the Braunsteins, by a guy named David Wesley who was into the miniature wargaming crowd. The first one was called Braunstein because that's where it was set, a village in the Napoleonic Wars, and the idea was everyone had a single unit with some specific goal- like, a spy sent to poison the water supply, or a scout reconning forces, etc. The rules were kinda incomplete so the players improvised a lot, and the next time he ran this Wesley tried to codify things more but people didn't like that as much, so in future iterations he sorta played with how detailed the rules were and how much the players could improv, etc. He also did like different settings and such. All of this was in the late sixties in the Twin Cities area, near where Gygax and Arneson were and I know that at least one of them played in these.

D&D was the first *commercially published* role playing game, taking the idea of the Braunsteins and mixing it with the medieval/fantasy rules Gygax and Arneson had made for Chainmail, and coming up with the dungeon-crawl structure.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah these days self-publishing is the preferred term to distinguish from the kind of scams that flourished (and no doubt still do) in the vanity press market but it's the same basic idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

How many new gods have appeared over the generations?

Well there's Darkseid, Highfather, Orion, Lightray, Mister Miracle, Big Barda...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I hope Rich's soul is okay

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Intellect Devourer is a CR 2 creature that can kill a player in two turns, is resistant to non-magical weapons (why did this bring this back?!), and the way they kill you requires something more powerful than a Raise spell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I just feel like puzzle monsters like that should at least have an asterisk next to their CR or some other indicator that you can just eyeball to see you have to design the encounter such that the PCs have resources to deal with them. 4e’s math had some HP bloat but mostly got rid of the save-or-suck attacks and broad defenses (when they introduced Inherent Bonuses it was like the first time it was viable not to give away magic items.)

Basically though I’m not interested in any D&D unless they bring back Warlords and that’s not likely to happen from what I’ve seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Good GMs are made, not born, and it helps if you give them a robust set of tools to create good encounters with.

4e’s XP budgets were just so much easier to work with.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Yeah. Puzzle, consequence, and extra-risky monsters are awesome. But they need to be labelled as such, and it can't just seamlessly slot into the standard CR system.

Yeah this was basically my thinking- older D&D would put a couple of asterisks on the HD of monsters with special attacks/defenses for the purposes of various calculations and it's a good reminder that "this monster has some extra stuff that makes it more challenging." So I think that would be a perfectly traditional solution to the problem.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't be surprised if Haley picked up a few fighter levels at some point, especially while Roy was dead.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My first I believe was "Stop oppressing my culture."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Early D&D had your wizards start with a random selection of spells. Maybe your spellbook has Web, Magic Missile, and Sleep! More likely it has Feather Fall, Tenser's Floating Disk, and Detect Gold. You loaded up on oddball spells because sometimes that was all you had.

The old edition discourse made me look up the version of ODD I bought from DTRPG back in ye day- around 2013 or so. Now I can't tell exactly what version it is- it seems to be a new layout of the original text, with new and detailed cover art for each booklet and the Wizards Logo and updated copyright, but it seems to be aiming for the original box.

And uh, it doesn't actually say what spells you start with. Like it tells you your spells per level, and that you have books for spells (apparently one per level), and the cost of replacing them and the cost of researching new spells, but the way you decide what spells a Magic User has... apparently was not in the book at first. The original game was not 100% complete and I imagine this was one of the first things they had to clarify.

(And part of the confusion re: demihumans is that the booklet lists Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits- er, Halflings (and the book I have uses the updated non-infringing term so presumably that's another tweak) listed after Fighting Men, Magic Users, and Clerics- but when you look at the entries for each they actually say that Elves can be Fighting Men or Magic Users, Dwarves and Halflings can only be Fighting Men, and their level limits.)

(In retrospect it's amazing this game got anywhere.)