Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Yes, but at that point most of the money will presumably be withdrawn automatically. That's the other half of the magic of kickstarter - a donator doesn't pay unless the minimum is met to actually fund the project and the money is actually THERE if you can get enough of it pledged.
No, no money is drawn until the end date, even if it's fully funded. This is directly from my email from my pledge which was WELL after it was fully funded:

If this project is successfully funded, your card will be charged on:
TUESDAY FEB 21, 12:03PM EST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HKR posted:

The kickstarter rewards are extremely confusing now. I wish I could find a bundle of just war and xps and don't split the party along with snips snails and dragon tails, since I have the other four books. The closest I've found is just the full story bundle, but that's $200+ dollars and I'm not willing to pay that much just to get the three books I'm missing.
So just get one that has just books you want, and order the remainders separately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Javid posted:

Pretty sure you can still BUY the books once they're made, even if you don't donate a cent.
Yeah, this is the entire point of the Kickstarter: to put out of print books back in print. For everyone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, they're taxed. I'm not sure how, but they are. The Comedy Button guys mentioned that they havent used most of theirs yet since they want to pay the taxes first.

Even if they count as gifts, you can only have $500 worth of exempted gifts, I believe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I am not a tax person, but the IRS seems to be saying here that you can received up to $13,000 from someone as a gift in a year. Also that the person giving the gift is the one responsible for any taxes on it.
Okay, I may have been wrong but:

quote:

What is considered a gift?
Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return.
Getting books in return for your money means it's not a gift unless you want to argue that what you're getting isn't worth what you're paying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vorgen posted:

Yeah, I mean the Internet has just deemed him half a millionaire because he entertains them. That's pretty awesome.
Well. It's not like it's his money. It's his company's money, a large portion of which is going to printing books. Sure, he'll probably end up with some cash in the end, but he's certainly not getting all of the money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Not really... everyone who is intending to buy them is using the kickstarter to preorder them, basically, so most sales are accounted for in it.
I would imagine that the original intention of the Kickstarter was to ensure he could at least sell enough to make a minimum order from the printer to make it worthwhile. Like, yeah, a lot of people who would have purchased later if they were in print are probably getting them now, but Rich would be incredibly foolish to not order significantly more than what is necessary to fulfill the Kickstarter orders.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RickoniX posted:

How is he going to write a children's book about a lapsed catholic irish immigrant punching superheroes?

Um, it could it be a children's war story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Danzou posted:

Can't you throw all the image files in a zip and a CBR reader will read it just fine?

Yeah. It wouldn't take someone with a bit of scripting knowledge too long to whip up someone to download everything to date and stick it in a CBR.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

A loving wizard did it.
If he had just posted this, I would have been completely satisfied.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

The purple name should be that, I believe.
I think that just means completed since I don't think he's shipping things until each package is complete.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dolash posted:

The minute I spent posting this could've been spent not being a terrible poster.

Let's not go too far. ;)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oobey posted:

gently caress all of you. I saw 20+ new posts and jumped in here eagerly expecting a new strip, only to get hit right in the face by some Goblins.
Here you go. (Imgur doesn't like me at work for some reason.)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered the Schticky Schticks so I still haven't gotten my Kickstarter package. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sefer posted:

Are Schticky Schticks even done printing? I had a signed thing, and he sent everything but Schticky Schticks because he couldn't keep all the signed stuff at his house until SS was ready.
Last time he mentioned them, I think they were just going to the printer, so I imagine they should be ready soon.

I don't even have the game yet!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Kickstarter update: Schticky Schticks have just hit the printer. I'm never going to get my package, am I?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TampaTango posted:

I hope everything is ok.

Looks good to me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look. Only post Goblins if someone asks about Rich.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good news everyone! Ookadook is shipping Kickstarter packages with Schticky Schticks finally!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You guys jinxed it. Rich is not alright.

quote:

Hi Everyone,

This is Mrs. Giant writing (AKA Rich's WIfe). He wanted me to let you guys know some stuff that's been going on. Rich had an accident earlier this week; he injured his right hand pretty badly on broken glass and was rushed in to have emergency surgery. They repaired some severed tendons in his thumb and he's home now and recovering. But he won't be able to draw for at least six weeks (maybe longer, depending on how quickly the nerves in his thumb heal). And he didn't want to keep you guys in the dark for all that time.

He is planning on writing a more detailed post himself once he's able to sit at the computer and type with his left hand, but right now he's on some pretty strong painkillers. When he feels up to it, he'll be able to let you know when to expect the comic strip to return, as well as the timeframes for getting out the remaining autographed packages and crayon drawings from the Kickstarter Drive. I'll be helping him answer the backlog of emails from that next week sometime, but I don't really know his address-change system yet so it might take a little longer than normal while I learn it. The last few remaining packages that are set to ship from Ookoodook won't be affected by this, so they'll keep going out at the same rate.

Don't worry, OOTS will definitely return; the doctor is really confident that this is going to heal well, we just don't know yet how long it will take.

You guys have been so supportive and patient all year and Rich is really frustrated that he's letting you down by making you wait even longer for the stories he's been trying to bring to you. Just know that he is as eager to get back to creating the strip as you are to reading it. Thanks in advance for understanding, and hopefully you'll be hearing directly from Rich really soon.

Until then, think healing thoughts :)

~Mrs. Giant

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Kickstarter reward still hasn't shipped.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The good news is my Kickstarter stuff finally came!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tertiary Stresses posted:

Is Malak's last comment in panel 4 yet another throwback?
Not the joke I got out of it, but that's a good catch!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

It's also pretty consistently hilarious.

Edit: I guess ImageShack won't play ball.

ImageShack is banned here for some reason I forgot. Use imgur.com

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the "wall of text" quasi-complaint has always struck me as the complainant saying, "I have no attention span." If it's a lot of irritating or boring words, sure, but just being a lot of words? That's on you, sport.

I think it's more that it's a cartoon and not a novel. Hell, making an image of words isn't even the best way to get words on the internet by a long shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd rather have physical copies anyway- there's just something so satisfying about print and paper.

Though I do kind of wonder if this is a generational thing- I'm over 30 now and I wonder if the younger generation prefers e-ink or whatever.

I'm over 30 and buy my monthly stuff digitally, but anything I really like I end up buying in print, since I don't particularly like digital collections.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My real name makes it virtually impossible to find me on any search engine. Facebook would be easier if it wasn't for privacy settings. Once I realized that, I suddenly became very thankful for the name that gets stupid jokes from everyone who sees it to this day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Are you a former professional American football player?

...Maybe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

The trouble with webcomic communities is that they are full of the sort of people who want to join a webcomic community.

Definitely way worse than communities built around a site about making fun of people on the internet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Not Found

The requested URL /comics/oots0978 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

:(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Such as: gnomes.

Racist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, succubi have traditionally targeted men. Their male counterparts being incubi. You could probably extend them to targeting people who would be sexually attracted to them, but a succubus isn't likely to go after a straight female.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well in FATAL, most hits with weapons will kill you outright, so maybe that is the game they want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poil posted:

You're complaining about a lousy 15 bucks of shipping? For me the cheapest shipping option is $35. To be fair it is across an ocean and there will probably be some same continent shipping later on, but still. :argh:

$15 is pretty atrocious for shipping one book, actually, yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

V and zher partner have what seem to be their bioligical children, so I assume they are a hetero couple. On the other hand, I know nothing of elf biology.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Nope, V refers to the kids as "my adopted progeny."

I guess I missed that!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New strip!

EDIT: Dangit!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Painting extra doors is not really a good idea, though. Since he obviously doesn't know which door is the right one (because then he'd only need to paint that one), all he's doing is narrowing their search while hoping one of the ones he's painted is the right one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

If you built a car with a mythril body, adamantine hubcaps, and a glassteel windshield, and used minor creation to make vegetable oil for it to run on, but still had a typical internal combustion engine, is it a magic car?

No, nothing you described was magic other than the creation of the vegetable oil, which is functionally no different than non-magically created vegetable oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Huh, I thought he did the art in Robo? Anyways it wasn't just recolors, I was pretty sure he did some sprite editing to to get characters to look the way he wanted them to, and not just deleting six pixels to make Black Mage look happy either.

He definitely does not draw Robo.