Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I've been getting back into online poker after a big hiatus, and I was wondering what my stats should be on PT at microstakes (NL10). I used to play something like 22/8 when I was playing full ring at pokerroom. After I recently started playing again, I was getting killed when I tried to implement the strategy that I use while playing live where most people alternate from being either hyper agressive or super passive. I switched to a more tight strategy for around 10k hands (18/8 with pf AF of 0.6 and flop AG of around 1.6) Am I being too passive pre flop and too agressive post flop or should I be playing something more like 15/10 with a more balanced AF?

This is 6max BTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

Nah, we already made it pot sized and I don't think an overbet does much good for us. Plus stack sizes are perfectly suited to betting flop and shoving turn so I think you played it best.

I like it. Pot the flop shove any non diamond turn as the number of hands with a high diamond or non full house queens vastly outnumber the queen containing two pairs. Sucks that he had a full house.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What do you have hand 5?

Whenever in spots like Hands 1 and 2, I always get called down no matter how sexy the board. I guess I need to tighten up.

Hand 6 I'm pretty sure he has a set because that's a classic tell for super strength. It also depends on how quickly it happens because it needs to be immediate.

Hand 7 due to the history and both of your aggression, I would just keep betting preflop.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think that "He and I have some history of being aggro" needs a bit of explaining because it would change the dynamic of a call vs. a re-raise. Regarding his play, I think that cold 4 bets OOP are burning money if he doesn't have the absolute top of his range.

Lote fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 25, 2012

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Why the large bet on the flop? A $15 bet would be half pot and set you up for a $37 bet into a $60 pot vs a $22 into $75. Do you think that flop helped him? I think you're getting called down after that flop bet.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I hear Knish has a truck you can drive.

I know the hand was A9 v AA

This guy calls down the river with AK so shoving is fine. The question should be if he plays the turn with AK as played. Given your betting with suited connectors he may also be three betting light with 88 in his range.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Blinky2099 posted:

any advice on how to deal with a "rock" in play?

$1/$2 live homegame. $20 taped together. Whoever has it has to Mississippi straddle their next btn with it. Its worth the $20 but you can't use it for regular bets. Whoever has it when game breaks gets the $20, but obviously the more important reason to have it is the free straddle with people limping $20 left and right.

If you get allin it counts as a normal $20.

I imagine it would just make the game play like a 10-20 game with super short stacks. Does the game play deep?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mind_Taker posted:

When I am forced to play a lower limit live, I actually take a few hands where I won't look at my hole cards and try to win the pot by assessing the opponents ranges, betting, tells, etc. and only look at my cards when I think I can't win the pot. Probably very -EV in the long run but it may help build your hand reading skills!

This is burning money at most 2/5 and all 1/2 tables at which I've played.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I would try to play as many pots in position for as cheap as possible for the lesser hands and bet a slightly wider bet/3bet range on the button for value.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Hypothetical:

Guy has $3 in a 1/2 game. Limps to him and he goes all in. No one can do raise for the rest of the hand or the rest of the round?

Another guy in front of him min raises to $4 and $3 dude calls. Anyone can now re-raise right?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The range that you lose to is 77 or 33 (maybe 34s?) based on your assessment of the player. That's so narrow. If he's three barreling 5-10% of the time with missed draws and overpairs, that will make this a call.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I probably fold on the flop if the maniac is playing fit or fold. "Fit" for a maniac can be any draw, any pair, etc. which can still be ahead of our AQo even if he's just on a draw. If the maniac is cbetting all the time, then I'll flat if I've got position and I think he'll slow down on the turn. Also you're implied odds are not that good for a flop call.

For the river, I usually snap call or call.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mind_Taker posted:

I actually kind of like the check/raising as a bluff option on the river and it's not something I really do much because most villains at this level just refuse to bet the river without the near-nuts so I usually opt to donk into them if I am bluffing. Against this villain, he is certainly capable of b/fing a ton of his value hands so it should have been something I thought about at the time. Glad to see the number crunching to support it being a better option too as I am a math nerd myself.

I guess my main question is do you think this is a good spot for villain to triple barrel with a ton of his bluff range? I know it's read dependent but assume you are the villain and you are playing against a competent but not fantastic player.

Basically what you are saying is "given that a triple barrel bluff is a good part of his range here, this is a profitable call and an even more profitable raise". But I want to know if the assumption "a triple barrel bluff is a good part of his range here" is a good assumption.

I really don't like that c/c, c/c, c/r line as it reeks of fancy play syndrome with an absolute monster or a bluff. Your hand looks like the nuts and usually I find that people that hit the nuts/nut flush will bet out on the river. If he thinks that you are trying to get tricky here with a big hand then go for the raise. Otherwise, if I were in the villan's shoes, I'd call with all aces and everything on up because you are polarizing your range with that raise.

Lote fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 8, 2012

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

So you assume villain is going to think we are getting fancy with which bluffs exactly? Single diamond that floated flop? Our exact hand? I think it's more likely he just thinks we have a flush and folds. The ranges also accounted for him being stubborn and calling with a bunch of aces and it's still a slam dunk. I don't know why you think him making a polarizing raise makes it an instant call. Could you explain that?

e: also i dont really like how we played the hand until the river anyway

Maybe villan will think that you are representing a very strong flush or a hand that had some showdown value that has decided to spaz? It's just that the c/c, c/c, c/r line makes no sense unless you have an amazing hand that isn't worried past the turn. Yeah, villan may think we have a flush and a fold, but I personally just get suspicious about this line as fancy play or bluffs.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

manyak posted:

I could probably just ask this in one of the other threads but I'll post the hand anyway:

Live 1/2, 10 handed, morning crowd of nits and a few ok players but fairly deep stacked

Villain is an old guy, extremely tight, playing few hands and really passive fit or fold. Earlier checked behind a river with the 2nd nut flush

That's so tight that his club flush turned into a diamond flush.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I have had moderate success when 4 bet raising preflop vs. 4 bet shipping when I've got the goods. People love to out level themselves against the 4 bet for some reason and put in a 5 bet. This was against pros though so 4 bet raising/shipping against rec players is still seen as super duper strong.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Elysium posted:

So there was some discussion about a poker game in the most recent episode of the Korean game show "The Genius" that I thought people here might be interested in.

You are playing Indian Poker/Blind Man's Bluff with two community cards. There are 40 cards in the deck, 4 sets of 1-10. So counting cards is possible. If you fold 3 of a kind or a straight you lose 10 chips. If the cards are a tie, the pot is carried over to the next round. If the players are all in, this means that the next round is dealt with you remaining all in. The loser of this game is eliminated from the competition.

You and your opponent each have 15 chips. The ante is 1 chip from each player. You are considered a big favorite in skill over your opponent.

The first hand the community cards are 1 and 8. Your opponent shows a 2. He pushes all in. Do you call?

How do streets work out or do they deal both community cards at once?

So the reasoning is that he would only push all in if you yourself had a 2 and then the subsequent hand would be a 50/50 shot? I would also say that if the opponent is unskilled he would possibly consider doing this with you showing a 3. I would base my decision on how long it took for the person to act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
In tournaments based off of the way people have been playing in the past few years, I would bet that river a large portion of the time and you're going to get hero'd by worse. There is a caveat of: if I think this guy missed his draw based off of his betting style, I would want to give him a chance to stab at it.

I'm not great at cash so I don't have a strong opinion. I'm undecided between c/c and b/f.

• Locked thread