Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Basic question time: many people say a separate /home partition is good to make things like changing distro or whatnot easier, which I see the value and little downside. Aside from the data I put in ~ myself, what space requirements should I be looking at?

Coming from windows-land, the user profile tends to get bloated with many gigs of cache and other junk data. Or the new thing is just install a whole dang program in AppData, with per user installs, why not? Anyways my windows user profile is 14gb and I barely keep any of my own poo poo there. All my personal files live elsewhere and my downloads folder is mapped to the spinning rust drive.

What's the parallel on linux? Do apps similarly use /home as a data dump just to avoid permissions and other nonsense?

This is not so much to be a miser with HD space ... though I do find it very irritating how some browsers (chrome) will cache 15gb of youtube video just in case I want to watch them again. I'm trying to plan thoroughly around stuff I don't know yet. I've done many dual boots in the past and WSL recently, but never used them long enough to experience this type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thanks y'all. I'd been thinking like 3/4ths root and 1/4th home, but it seems like I should reverse that!

VictualSquid posted:

Steam, most other game managers

Speaking of Steam, can the linux client put libraries on different drives, or is that a windows only feature and I'll need to go back to softlinks?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, you allocate three partitions on each disk, one for the EFS, the second for /boot (and maybe not necessarily depending on your bootloader), and the third (the rest of the space) is a PV for a LVM VG. Then you can use LVs for your Linux distro-hopping and keep /home its own thing. And you can grow the LVs as your space requirements change.

Hrmmm. LVM seems super cool but I think I'm gonna aim towards the simple end of the spectrum at first.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Does anybody know of an alt-tab switcher for KDE that looks as much as possible like the Windows 10 one?

Of all the KDE switchers I tried from the gallery, I couldn't find one that both (a) had thumbnail window previews and (b) was centered in a traditional popup (instead of taking over half/all the screen).

Thumbnail Grid? Seems pretty much the same, though the thumbnails are smaller than windows.

I am honestly surprised how much I like KDE Plasma. I strongly disliked KDE way back when, and for the last decade or so when I've done desktop I've used XFCE. But I gave Plasma a shot, mostly because XFCE is still far from Wayland adoption. It's really nice!

OTOH the Wayland vs X11 thing still seems inconclusive. I've switched back and forth a few times and both have had problems.
* X11: random loss of icons, incorrect cursors, and other small annoyances that are exactly like I remember from my last desktop linux years ago.
* Wayland: graphical corruption of the WM & desktop, including a weird thing where only 1 of my two monitors could have a desktop at all. App windows drew just fine, so the monitor was still there & functional. But the desktop itself was black with no panels / widgets and right-click didn't draw a menu. Disable + enable cycle in system settings just swapped which monitor had the broken desktop. Entertaining and novel brokenness!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

:smithicide: lol see the previous page and you can wade through how I beat that dead horse! It's soooo blacklisted. It should never be able to work in this town ever again, but the turd just won't flush.

It's getting to the point where it might just be easier for me to rebuild the kernel with nouveau completely stripped from it. I've already stopped automatic kernel updates because it breaks the closed-source nvidia drivers, so I can just freeze on some kernel for awhile. I can't blacklist the driver from grub worth a drat but I can build kernels all day. I mean, they do take all day...

Are module blacklists maybe not global? With the fact that you have multiple kernels, that makes me wonder if your blacklist is not hitting the kernel you're running.

So, what about this idea: can you switch to tty3, kill X, and manually unload the nouveau driver module? And then successfully restart X with the nvidia driver? Like, this is not a solution the problem but when I'm at the frustration point you've reached I like to get some confirmation that the thing I want can happen in any way possible.

On my newbie adventure, I am now thinking that Wayland actually feels quite good & pretty stable... once I hammered all the apps into running Wayland-native. And stopped using ones that are x11-only. At least, for stuff like web browsers that are open all the time.

Could be apophenia, but before I did that it felt like the system had a running countdown until something terrible happened, such that it needed a reboot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

I'm not crazy, right?
This looks a hundred times more complicated, in a way that only makes life easier for massive, automated, untouched-by-human-hands setups, at the cost of making things outright labyrinthine if you're an end user who has to touch it?

It seems way more straightforward to me -- one .cfg per kernel / bootable OS is a far better system than a monolithic file that renders your system unbootable if you make a mistake. "hosed up my grub, can't boot" is not exactly a rare thing to hear.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the fundamental difference between compiling an application for Flatpak and Snap distribution, vs. compiling the same application for Fedora and Ubuntu packages?

Is it that you can compile against the latest runtimes and ensure users can/will/are forced to upgrade to them?

Flatpak doesn't upgrade the root system, it runs the app against whatever mess of libraries are in the pack. So you can compile against whatever runtime and ensure users can run the program even if the host system has incompatible dependencies and can't be updated.

Really convenient when you think about it in context of just a single app. Really awful when you think about it at scale: every app comes with a load of libraries (possibly huge), and running them can have a big memory overhead.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But there may be other benefits. Or issues. I don't really know.

I dunno, but it seems to me like the main point of flatpak is to make an easy, 1-click install & run of apps for end users that is separate from, and avoids the problem of, the distro/repo system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really if a significant number of apps on the system are flatpaks then they share the same runtimes. Meaning you might have 3 apps all using the same runtime with no duplication.

So for well-maintained, fully open software that gets updated regularly to current versions of runtimes, it's very easy. But that's also the category of stuff that's easy for the normal distro system. My question would be, why does anyone need to run the flatpack version of 90% of the stuff on flathub?

Also the no duplication is sometimes questionable:

https://ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future posted:

Flatpak allows anyone to define their own runtimes. freedesktop.org publishes some Flatpak runtimes for common use, but these aren’t necessarily the ones apps are using. For example Fedora publishes apps with its own runtimes, and these are the ones available by default in its Software store.

If you install GIMP in Fedora 34’s Software store, it defaults to Fedora’s Flatpak of GIMP. This pulls in Fedora 35’s 650 MB runtime, not any freedesktop.org runtime. Nothing will be shared with our freedesktop runtime KCalc we installed from Flathub earlier. On my machine /var/lib/flatpak is using over 3 GB of disk space for just these two apps.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you have apps using different versions of the same runtime, sure it'll also install multiple versions of that same runtime, but like, you kinda want that. I mean you want it using the runtime it was built for, not a later (or earlier) one that may or may not work and wasn't tested against.

This OTOH is the big deal. But flatpak seems to be getting promoted as much more than "now you can run obsolete software that needs X-obscure-lib v0.6.9 and not gently caress up the rest of your OS".

As I say, I dunno. I'm not against it! But I do think "why run the flatpak of X instead of your distro's?" is a good question.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JLaw posted:

I suppose I can set up some key shortcuts to trigger those.

But this is not something I've ever done before... I'm curious if there are lurking reasons to not do this

From the hardware side it should be fine. (I don't know enough about the OS side to say anything, but I can't imagine why it would be a problem.)

I'd hate that method myself just for the practical reasons -- switching PCs is a two step process with both your hotkey *and* a plug/unplug step, since the dongle probably still has to be unplugged to get the mouse to jump back to the pad. But I guess it depends how often you're doing it.

JLaw posted:

(or some alternate solution).

A real KVM? (Or, if you don't need the V part of a KVM, USB switchers are like $20.)

Or software-KVM: Barrier works on linux if you use X11, but not in wayland.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euroshopper posted:

Wasn't really specifically referring to Fedora/RedHat. My grievance is that the most popular and maintained distros tend to be GTK-based and the KDE distros that do exist tend to be derivatives or 'flavors' of the aforementioned GTK distros.

So don't get me wrong, I posted this a few weeks ago:

Klyith posted:

I am honestly surprised how much I like KDE Plasma. I strongly disliked KDE way back when, and for the last decade or so when I've done desktop I've used XFCE. But I gave Plasma a shot, mostly because XFCE is still far from Wayland adoption. It's really nice!
and since then my opinion hasn't changed! I still like the UX. But I've seen some occasional stuff that's pretty wack.

Most notably, for a bit I was somehow triggering something that made plasmashell aggressively eat memory, as in 25 gb of ram + swap in under 10 minutes. I'm fairly certain that the trigger was something related to copying / moving files in Dolphin, as each of the 3 times it's happened have been when I've been pulling stuff onto linux disks from my windows drives. (I'm using rsync for big things of course.)

After the first time I put a memory graph on the desktop, and so one time I caught it in the act: literally ctrl-c on files in one dolphin tab, ctrl-v in the other tab, boom the memory starts going up.

OTOH I just took an update to KDE Plasma and can't make it happen now. Maybe it got fixed? Though it definitely didn't happen every time before.

So KDE in my opinion is feeling extremely "community open source" as opposed to "professional open source". Which is probably why I like it! But also why I can see the more suit & tie distros sticking with gnome / GTK-based DE.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Going for the triple post; whats the canonical way to mount a users home directory on login? I have an encrypted home dir that I currently use pam_mount for, and it mostly works great; however I would like to use my yubikey to automatically decrypt it. I know systemd-homed can do this however it's not fully integrated into Fedora yet (I stopped implementing it at a bunch of SELinux issues, figured it wasn't worht the risk / headache), is there any other option?

so a yubikey for decrypt is a step-by-step example in the man for crypttab, would that not work?

it seems like if it can mount an entire /home volume prior to login with a yubikey, you could also mount /home/mrcrow from a LUKS volume

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

samba is a user in Linux.

Question:
Is it possible to only be able to login with test or test1 but not with samba?

so the samba user has access to the samba share, but is not a valid user for other purposes on the system?

quote:

If you want the new user only to be allowed to remotely access the file server shares through Samba, you can restrict other login options:
disabling shell: usermod --shell /usr/bin/nologin --lock samba_user
disabling SSH logons: edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config, change option AllowUsers

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

This is only about smb itself. From what I've read smb needs to have an OS user, for permission purposes (who owns the files that get created, who can delete what, etc.), but via user mapping you can specify other usernames (can be domain usernames or just windows usernames) that the users can use to login. But ideally I'd only like to allow for the test and test1 usernames to login from a (windows or any other OS) client .

Delete the samba user from the SMB database in pdbedit?

It seems like the two lists of users are separate things, and just default to name = name mapping across the OS & SMB lists. If that user on the OS side is just there to provide permissions for the SMB users then it doesn't need to be listed on the SMB side.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

I'm not quit sure I follow this. If I delete the samba user from the pdbedit database then it doesn't have a password, and not matter what mapping I do it will never allow samba, test or test1 to connect/browse the share. I just tried it out of curiosity and indeed, nobody can authenticate now.
Or am I missing something here? The user mapping list is just a mapping "real user" = "some other name". It needs to be listed on the smb side so that smb knows who authenticated, who is the user browsing the share.

Sorry, I'm just spitballing here, but reading the docs for username map & general samba setup I can't imagine how it would be otherwise.

In particular, you can add a samba-only user with samba-tool user create user1. By default a new samba user will map to the nobody unix user. And nobody isn't valid to login via smb. So I think it's gonna work that you can map the smb user to the unix user without the unix user also being in smb.

I dunno, I suggest re-do from start:
1. clear the samba users you did before
2. make new unix user sambauser
3. add test users with samba-tool user create
4. map them to sambauser, give sambauser some shares

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LRADIKAL posted:

Had trouble typing the right magic words into Google. I have a Ubuntu desktop install I use as a Plex server with an Nvidia graphics card for transcoding. Can my wife log into the machine with another user account and play games on the TV simultaneously, directly on the system? Will the graphics card be good to go on both sessions?

Should work fine in theory -- the video encoder and the 3d acceleration are mostly separate bits, and multiple users can use the same GPU.

Question is how the plex server is running on the other user: as a systemd service, or as a desktop app? Because the 2nd one is likely to be trouble. Running multiple local x sessions is fiddly. If it's running as an at-boot service, and so nobody even needs to be logged on for it to run, that would be the nest set-up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vavrek posted:

Edit: Okay, it's also gone in LibreOffice, so I'm gathering I just turned some global "Have Menu Bar" setting off. Where do I find that in KDE?

Some google suggests

quote:

You seem to have the Global Menu feature enabled, have a look at the System Settings:
In System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Background Services, uncheck the "Application menus daemon" then log out and back into Plasma again

OTOH I have that deamon checked and have no problems?

(I guess this daemon can extract the main menu to either put it in a ≡ hamburger in the titlebar, or into a global menu bar ala macos. Cool feature. I wouldn't want to do that everywhere, but I wonder if you can do that for just some apps via special rules?)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

a dingus posted:

I upgraded my GPU from a 5700xt to a 6900xt and I'm having some weird issues that seem driver related. My displays will randomly freeze, no mouse movement etc, but I can hear things continue in the background. My system will eventually respond after doing ctrl-alt-f2 and I can use the non-gui environment. I know AMD drivers are in the kernel so I'm not sure how to reinstall or what. I updated my system after I installed the card. Any ideas? I'm on Fedora 35 w/ Wayland & sway.

Fedora says they're on kernel 5.18.5, which should be totally up to date for your GPU. You can do uname -r to check your running kernel version.

Is there any type of consistent things that you're doing when this happens? For ex, does it happen at a plain desktop with only 2d windowed apps running and no video playing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lifroc posted:

That sounds like what used to happen with my 5500XT a couple years ago which put me off big time from AMD cards, apparently I did track it down to a driver/KMS issue that was still unresolved. I gave the card away recently and last I heard the card was working with latest kernels, so it must have been fixed.

FWIW I have a 5700 and it's been working fine in Linux (Manjaro/KDE/Wayland) so far -- though I haven't done much 3d gaming yet to stress it out.

In one way it's working better than in Windows: I have a kinda crap Asus monitor that's connected via DisplayPort. In windows, the monitor frequently loses connection when it's powersaved, causing windows to drop the screen and shuffle all my apps onto the 2nd monitor. Super annoying, super random, happened about once a day. I actually wrote a window position saver into my autohotkey system script to restore them after those cut-outs.

In linux it has happened twice in 2 months. So there must be some OS/driver part to it. OTOH both times it's happened in linux have very bad for the display manager, requiring restarts. So, uh, not a total victory.

(Losing autohotkey is the one thing I'm having a hard time getting over.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lifroc posted:

Just throwing some ideas around, but how's your PSU? I used to use an eGPU years ago and it would sometimes crash even when completely idle, randomly. I tracked it down to the PSU being defective, even though it seemed to be perfectly fine even under load.

Oh everything about my system is stable, nothing else that might indicate PSU or anything else hardware. The monitor is definitely the problem and more specifically the displayport part. It's done other dumb poo poo in the past, such that on my previous 1060 GPU I had it connected by HDMI because I thought the DP was actively broken. But now the 5700 only has one HDMI port and I need that for the 2nd monitor.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splode posted:

I'm having an issue where when I copy files to a usb thumb drive (NTFS format), it's both slow and then sits on 100% for a really long time before finally finishing. Copying multiple files makes it much worse.

I have had slow / unresponsive write performance with NTFS on cheap flash sticks, and particularly with SD cards, in Windows. I can only imagine that the slow & cautious Linux NTFS would be worse.

NTFS, and other journaling filesystems like EXT4, are hard on crappy cheap flash drives because they produce extra small write & erase for the journal. Due to the mechanics of flash that's not ideal. On a real SSD you have a sophisticated controller and multiple flash chips, the drive can basically multitask that stuff. On a USB stick you have the cheapest dumbest controller and probably one flash chip of the cheapest NAND.

tl;dr Fat32 or exFat are better choices than NTFS for cheap usb sticks (plus linux likes them better than NTFS anyways)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bob Morales posted:

What do you guys on Windows for terminal programs? I want something better than 7 putty sessions.

a. gently caress putty, windows has SSH built in now

b.

Klyith posted:

Also if you get windows terminal you can put SSH sessions directly on the tab-launcher thing. poo poo's tight.

(As you can see I only have a Pi and a router at home, anyone with home servers and NAS stuff should definitely do this)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zerilan posted:

What’s my best Linux distribution option for a touchscreen laptop, specifically a yoga 2 pro

Run 3 or 4 live boots from a usb with different desktop environments and see which one feels good. Any time you're looking for something in particular, it makes a lot of sense to try before you buy.

For really easy tryouts, use Ventoy. Instead of having to reformat the usb like rufus, you just drop multiple isos on the stick and it makes an automatic menu for them. It doesn't do persistent storage or other elaborations like a rufus stick, but that doesn't matter in this context.

(Joke answer: chrome os)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lifroc posted:

Linux people get really defensive about AMD, but I find that even though their drivers are open source, the driver itself is shoddy and full of bugs.

I don't think it's defensive, I think it's a different assessment of what bugs are important and which are eh, I can live. Stutters in a game are, in the big picture, not that important.

The reason AMD gets universally recommended to people asking "which video card should I get for linux desktop and gaming" is because a person asking that question is probably not an expert. For the inexperienced, the potential problems from nvidia are a crisis: your PC doesn't boot, or only boots the fallback option, or whatever. This really isn't even an nvidia bug! It's a drawback to the whole linux system. But it's a major deal and ruins their day.

An expert user doesn't find it insoluble or even super-difficult (usually), but they're probably not asking on a forum which GPU to buy. And if the question was "which should I get for GPU compute on linux" it would be a whole different context.

Lifroc posted:

My 5500 XT was unusable until 2 years after launch

They had problems on the windows side too -- not for 2 years, but late 2019 - early 2020 I could get some pretty consistent bluescreens on my 5700 from using wattman to set power or fan curves. Something about RDNA1 was mildly busted, possibly more in hardware than drivers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So, now that I'm pretty satisfied that I can use desktop linux as my main OS, I am converting my storage & data over to linux-native from ntfs. Question time:

1) How do people generally like to mount supplemental drives or volumes? The file manager auto-mounts stuff in /run/media/username, but if I'm putting stuff in fstab should that be in /mnt or what?
I didn't go with LVM for my first install, so I'm just doing manual storage management. I dunno how useful LVM would be for me anyways: I have one each NVMe, SSD, and HDD (plus a smaller SSD for windows) and so spanning across 3 very different drive speeds seems questionable.

2) Usernames, groups, and IDs: are they as simple as they look? Particularly when it comes to user & group ownership of files. Say my username is Sexcopter & UID is 1001. Sometime in the future I move a HDD to a new machine which also has Sexcopter:x:1001 in passwd. Will the folders and files owned by Sexcopter still be owned by the new Sexcopter on the new install?
(I ask because this was a thing that was super-annoying in Windows, your true ID was a huge GUID so if you reinstalled or whatever you had to reset ownership everywhere.)

3) Are there any other common gotchas or noob mistakes with user/group ownership? I've read "don't chmod +777 stuff" which I can get behind, but is there for example a problem with assigning ownership of a folder to nobody?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thanks for the rundown on nobody, BSD and ExcessBlarg!

I had read a blurb that mentioned it and said something like "nobody is always the same as the least privileged account", and was thinking that was like, everybody could be nobody. So it would be like saying "no owner". Nope, barking up the wrong tree. Hmmm.

Mr. Crow posted:

I have my extra desktop drives mounted in various locations, like /home, /usr/local (and another under /usr/local/games) and /opt. I put temporary mounts and NFS mounts under /mnt.

oh man I didn't think about putting things directly in /home rather than in the ~ user folder. I like that. No problem with making additional folders in home that aren't user accounts?

pseudorandom name posted:

LVM is useful even if you're not doing anything with it *now* because you can do neat things like transparently move an in-use volume to a different disk later.

Yeah, I 100% see the coolness factor. I'm just taking the cowardly approach of learning about things before I try them out and gently caress everything up.

Also I've had the same general setup of Windows drives / partitions for a hella long time, so TBQH I don't know if I'll ever need much in the way of dynamic managed storage. I'm pretty tidy and well-organized with my data.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BattleMaster posted:

made me think that there was like /home/myuser and /home/mymount for some reason. I'd definitely be interested in why one would do that.

I don't think that mounting /home itself to another drive or partition is particularly weird and is probably one of the most common things to do if you don't just slam everything into one partition.

Yeah I already have /home on a separate partition because I wasn't sure if I'd switch distro at some point and I'd seen how that makes it easier. (I'm sure it's also possible with the btrfs subvolume thing that most distros are defaulting to.)

As for why I like the sound of /home/mydrive -- no reason of any importance or functionality. I didn't want to mount them inside my user folder itself for clutter management, but in /home keeps everything together in one area. Also for the super petty reason that I find '/mnt' annoying to type. I'm having to do a lot of console file management due to a kde / dolphin bug where moving files using the GUI across volumes causes runaway memory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bedshaped posted:

Things I've tried (bear with me as some of the things I am saying I have little to no understanding of):
- safe boot is disabled, UEFI/legagy boot is set to "both"

I would definitely go UEFI-only, and make sure that your drive is GPT formatted. In an all-EFI system you don't have to worry about MS overwriting your boot system or anything. And you should be able to use the BIOS boot selector (F12 or maybe fn-F12 on lenovo) to pick a boot partition.

Bedshaped posted:

Here are my SSD partitions.

try that again?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Is there any way to make the GTK file picker (ie open / save as) not suck enormous piles of dong? In particular, the ability to type a frikken path somewhere? I'm on KDE but some things still use the gnome one, it seems to be the default for apps that don't use either toolkit for their native window like firefox or sublime text.

Do the gnome people seriously believe that it can finally be the year of linux on the desktop if they just hide all the scary computer stuff?

VVV edit: thx!

I also found that firefox can be made to use the KDE or whatever native file picker with about :config "widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker" set to 1

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 11, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Yea uninstall gnome and let kde do its job of being the actual good/usable desktop manager.

I just found alternatives for any software dependent on gnome when i decided i really liked kde, gnome is a cancer that needs to be excised unfortunately.

lmao the stuff that depends on various versions of GTK includes firefox, vivaldi, electron, & gimp. Maybe some of those like firefox are not real dependencies and the program will still run without GTK installed? But I'm not gonna try forcing that.

Anyways for now I'm also using deadbeef as a music player, which is a gnome app. It's the only thing that is even close to a foobar replacement.

The state of music on linux desktop is pretty dire TBQH. I knew it wasn't great since I'd looked into the subject before switching and saw that there weren't exactly a plethora of good options. It's just weird though; it seems like linux would be the one place where most people would still insist on a real music collection.

I'm close to considering using MPD, which would need a complete re-arrange of my collection. I don't do the normal /artist/album/tracks folder scheme and my experience with MPD as the backend for my Pi player was that it hates anything else.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean I have a few low level gtk libs installed (mostly cause of my custom login manager I think) but stock KDE should work fine with all those and have a usable file picker for everything? In my defense I read your post as if you had gnome and KDE desktop environments running side-by-side not just the GTK libs? If you migrated from gnome you probably need to remove a few more high level utils somewhere, maybe? Like nautilus (gnome) vs dolphin (kde)?

Oh, no, that's not the issue, I should have been more clear. I'm on KDE and have been since the start. At my current level of proficiency if I wanted to switch DE/WM I'd probably reinstall. It's just the secondary programs using GTK libraries, where interacting with open & save as dialogs is super-obnoxious.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

GNOME has a history of "dumbing down" its interface with every major revision. Which is true, although GNOME 1 was only a collection of disparate GTK-based components and whatever window manager a distro decided to package with it. But since at least GNOME 3 the project exists to fulfill the Red Hat/Fedora vision of a Linux desktop without much accommodation for people who want something slightly different than that. KDE has always taken a more inclusive approach and while there was certainly a hiccup during the KDE 3-4/Plasma transition I think they've generally tried to cater features towards what their users actually want.

Yeah I'm real happy with KDE, it's got some jank but I think that's an unavoidable consequence when there's as much "have it your way" as they do.

I didn't like KDE3/4, whenever I took a stab at running dual-boots or whatever in the past decade I did XFCE. But it was mostly the look of it -- old KDE to me was like the worst mix of winXP and winamp skins. I can see how the change to Plasma must have been a shake-up, but it's really so much nicer.

And I'll check out Strawberry. I'm pretty particular about a few things though, and Clementine was already lower on my list than Deadbeef because it doesn't do replaygain particularly well. (It does some which is better than nothing, but some formats don't have support.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Not sure what you mean about the state being dire, to me it always seemed like every nerd worth their salt wrote their own music player so that there's an abundance of choice. As with Linux distributions, perhaps too many.

That's kinda what I think is dire: there's dozens of write my owns but few of them get the sustained work to make something really good. Admittedly Foobar is a really high standard: it's been around for a decade, it gets small improvements all the time, and has an amazing plugin system.

Keito posted:

For most people a "good option" is just something that plays their music so you'd have to be a bit more specific I think, we don't know your requirements.

Required:
• Replaygain on all formats. This is a problem for gstreamer-based players like clementine. Sadly it looks like quod libet also uses gstreamer. So you have the situation where the people making the music player say "sorry it's a gstreamer problem" and the gstreamer people are making a general multimedia framework rather than a audiophile-specific music player.

• Clean GUI. I don't care about much more than a playlist view, a big playlist switcher (in foobar I used the plorg treeview organizer because I had like 40-50 playlists), and a small album art panel. No scrolling lyrics, visualizers, etc. (Also any music player which has high CPU use or consumes half a gig of memory should be summarily executed.)

• good built-in manual tagging. Foobar's tagging is what made it great since the beginning, and the scripting system is awesome. I might grab the Ex Falso standalone tagger from Quod Libet and use that separately, it seems good.

• comprehensive format support. For example I have a couple of things in matroska, which it seems like nothing other than MPD supports. (I should just re-container these into ogg TBQH.)

occasional updates. Like, music playback isn't exactly a moving target these days. Once every few years a new meaningful format comes out or change happens. I often skipped a few foobar versions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Quod Libet essentially ticks all your boxes except its ReplayGain implementation, I guess? It does support ReplayGain which I was using back then, and it worked fine for my music library at the time.

Ok I installed Quod Libet and it is doing better than other gstreamer players I tried (which weren't doing replaygain on musepack files). Hmmmmmm. Now I have a decision. Probably keep using deadbeef for now, since the main thing I dislike about it is GTK and Quod Libet doesn't change that.

Keito posted:

MPD doesn't have any tag editing AFAIK, and I don't really know the state of its clients outside of the one I use. Maybe someone else knows a foobar2000 like one. In your previous post you wrote that you'd have to rearrange your library to use it, but MPD doesn't really care as long as you're able to specify a root folder for your music. It will just scan the metadata from files and put the info in its database.

Yeah when looking at MPD I'd be doing all management with other apps. As the frontend I was mostly looking at Cantata, but that has now ceased development. :mad:

My library rearrangement thing is based on using Moodeaudio for Pi, which is pretty much a web frontend for MPD. I was having trouble with some stuff like album art if albums weren't all put into their own folders. Maybe that's an artifact of Moode more than MPD?

NihilCredo posted:

Why not just run Foobar via Wine? Some other audiophiles seem to have taken this path:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/b6hvsy/foobar2000_on_linux_through_wine/ejm1vwu/

Foobar via wine is not a good experience. On my system it crashes after 10 seconds of play if it isn't set to resample to 48khz, and doesn't seem 100% stable if it is. Some of that may be that I just tried to import my existing install with various plugins (though I removed the shell integration / hacky ones). And even if stability wasn't an issue:
* the UI isn't 100% free of glitches, because foobar's window is weird
* no media keys / keyboard shortcuts, no drag and drop
* running wine constantly is kinda dumb overhead for a music player

If I was that married to Foobar I'd have stayed with Windows.

(Autohotkey was much closer to being a deal-breaker. Note that I haven't asked the thread about an Autohotkey replacement, because I've already done the research and tried all the things that people on the internet recommend. They all suck by comparison, plus most are broken by Wayland. The actual answer is to learn python to do the scripts and little 1-hour apps, and use KWin's excellent rules and hotkey system for the window management stuff.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Tons of solid distros are using btrfs as the default install method (with subvolumes for / and home). All the potential data loss "don't use btrfs for mission critical" warnings are in the raid-5 style parity array.

If this is a personal system and the root volume is not going to be a multi-drive redundant array, go with btrfs. It's explicitly supported and seems far less likely to be a problem than ZFS for root. ZFS is a great filesystem and all, but btrfs was pretty much made for that job (and is inferior to ZFS at the things that ZFS is good at).

As a non-expert who didn't do the btrfs default setup, I wish I had. Timeshift seems cool and I can't use it.

VictualSquid posted:

btrfs didn't support encryption last time I checked.

No, but why not use LUKS if you want encryption? Particularly on the root volume, it's not like you want to do folder-by-folder encryption there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pablo Bluth posted:

Does anyone know a good free way to push notifications to an Android phone from a linux script? I currently just send an email which isn't too bad other than the usual vagaries around delivery speed, but I wondered if there was something a bit more 'in your face'.

There doesn't seem to be an official Android/Google API. I considered using Signal but the ecosystem seems a bit messy, incomplete and badly maintained. Nothing in the playstore jumped out at me a good and free.

IFTTT webhooks will work for free. But if it's worth spending any money at all a one-time $5 for https://pushover.net/ is cheaper and easier than IFTTT subscription.

(Also if this is a desktop, and you use KDE, and you only need this to work when connected to the same network as your PC / maintain a VPN connection, KDE Connect can pop notifications to a phone. Only mentioning it because it would be the easiest setup, and doesn't rely on other services.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aware posted:

I've heard Arch also has great documentation and is probably a good 'learn linux' starting point too but I've never given it a go.

Arch is a very good 'learn linux' distro is a very specific way I guess?

It's been working great for me! (I was a pretty expert troubleshooter and OS-wrangler before starting. I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't already pretty technically competent and capable of understanding stuff in the arch wiki, not just following instructions.)

VorpalFish posted:

I think at least some of the negative reactions Ubuntu gets as a distro for new users are overblown.

I think it's more just Ubuntu-on-desktop has a negative reaction as a whole these days, rather than specifically for new users.

If the community is trying to steer newcomers away from Ubuntu, they're probably thinking along the lines of "the default install is all Snaps so your firefox takes 20 seconds to launch, this will give a bad impression about linux as a whole" rather than information resources & guides.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also, regarding AUR:

BrainDance posted:

I dunno the goon perception of Arch, but I dont like the AUR in Arch for the same reason I don't like PPAs in Ubuntu, you put all that trust in what? Just some dude? At least with Debian there's some kind of trust. But yeah whatever you get bleeding edge packages I guess.

So at least for AUR, the only thing that the "just some dude" is doing is making a pkgbuild script. Nothing else is actually hosted on AUR, source tarballs come directly from github or wherever. So when you install SomeApp, presumably already having chosen to trust SomeApp's creators, so the only thing you need to check is the script. Which is just 20-200 lines.

If you don't trust the author of SomeApp because said author is "just some dude", I suppose Debian is a safer choice. I don't know how much vetting Debian really does themselves for security, but at least you have the rest of the linux world discovering that SomeApp's authors went rogue 6-12 months before you hit the malicious version.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
SystemD seems pretty great to me. It's clear and understandable, it has pretty nice UI for a program of this type. I was able to use it to enable & run services easily within 5 minutes of reading docs. I'd previously tried to do stuff in init (on a *wrt tbf) and it was much more fraught.

Seems pretty good as a cron replacement as well. A thing I had on windows, part of a bigger autohotkey always-running utility script, was a TTS clock that starts telling me the time on the 1/2-hour at 10pm. I'm a night owl and have problems with staying up too late. Replaced that with a SystemD timer service running a python script. It's a hello-world level exercise, and it was hello-world easy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

Are chromebooks worth buying? I assumed they were compromised to hell and back out of the box. I mean clearly an operating system made by google is going to be fucky, but, I have intentionally stayed away from buying them at all.

They're really not much different from regular laptops hardware-wise. Basically the main difference is a super-cheap chromebook will come with a tiny 32GB emmc flash storage and a super-cheap laptop will have a HDD.

Any time I've seen reviews of "this is a great chromebook" they cost like $700-800 and don't seen to be that much better than windows laptops/convertibles for the same price.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

Pop76 (or maybe unbuntu since its the parent fork??) question:

How do I increase lines scrolled per tick of the scroll wheel? It seems ridiculously low compared to Windows.

Is this in all apps, or particular to your web browsers?

Gnome apparently doesn't have a scroll speed setting at the system level, thus all your results are going to be various hacks and workarounds that people have come up with. Welcome to gnome I guess.

However, I'm using KDE which does have a scroll speed control in the system settings -- but it did not affect firefox and chrome/ium. Firefox has about :config prefs to change it. Chrome you have to use an addon.

buglord posted:

Also...this might be in my head or something but the Pop 76 UI seems less crisp than Windows. Menu item text and icons don't seem as sharp as they are on Windows 10. Resolution and scale are what it should be. Maybe I'm just seeing things. But whenever I load back into Windows things look sharper.

For text: Gnome does greyscale font smoothing by default. If you switch to RGB subpixel (which is what windows cleartext uses) it will make your fonts a lot crisper. Tweaks -> Fonts -> Hinting & Antialiasing

(Why does gnome do greyscale? Because that's what Apple does these days, and Gnome wants to be MacOS. Why does Apple do greyscale? Because it's better for super-high DPI monitors and Apple wants you to buy their retina screens.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Another BTRFS question. Is it possible to achieve the following configuration?

- End goal: I'm free to write either Important or Unimportant data without periodically janitoring the partitions. The Important data will be duplicated, so I can potentially write up to 2TB of Important data, in which case I would have 1TB left for Unimportant data on the big drive.

No: you within a single btrfs volume you can have subvolumes, but you can't have different mirror/stripe options per subvolume. (Yet, it's a wishlist feature, but who knows when it will happen.)

A btrfs raid1 drive pool can use 3 or more unequal size drives to get the maximum capacity that is possible (ie 2TB+3TB=6TB = 10TB capacity), but that's still mirroring on everything.

btrfs isn't a terrible choice for your setup because it's relatively fast to resize volumes, much more than ZFS. But you're still gonna be doing everything manually when you want to change the balance of Important and Unimportant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dead Goon posted:

As it's finally running I shall leave as is for now, but knowing a little more about what I need to be doing I will have a look at doing it properly in the future.

Thanks again.

Keep this in mind because this is how a *lot* of linux services work: they make a new limited user to run themselves as, and rely on group permissions to gain access to files.

This can get a bit complicated to keep track of because you now have a bunch of groups. And a folder can only be owned by one group, nor can you have a group in a group.

So radarr by default does the radarr:media, and you're supposed to just change the group on home/myuser/Videos or whatever to myuser:media, with r/w given to the group. That way you have ownership and both you and radarr (and anyone else in media) has full access. But radarr can't see anything else in your home folder.

But maybe you also have a sambashare group controlling access to folders you're sharing to the network, and you want to share ~/Videos. At that point you can add the network users from samba to media group, or radarr to sambashare. Start taking notes when you have more than 3 or 4 of these types of interactions.