Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Truga posted:

weechat is more or less just newer irssi
I've had some random issues with weechat that's given me a ton of headaches lately. The problems have sat dormant as GH Issues for years, and the devs, unfortunately, don't intend to fix them. That made me switch to irssi, and I haven't had any issues since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

drunken officeparty posted:

Please tell me these are relics of the late 80s and nobody actually uses these anymore.
Not at all. I've been using Emacs for decades, as many other people. It's a text editor for a lifetime.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

xzzy posted:

the instant I spend more than 30 seconds wondering how to arrange single and double quotes to get the result I want I give up and switch to python.
What about Perl?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

v1ld posted:

Highly recommended if you're looking for an Arch installer as opposed to a distro built on Arch, which seems to be what Manjaro is to some extent.

I moved from Manjaro to Endeavour recently and don't regret it. I like how EOS is more in line with Arch versus Manjaro maintaining its own upstream delaying package releases.

What desktop environment/window manager are you using?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Anyone have a good way to load an epub on an Ipad from linux?

Email the file to your iPad and open it in iBooks.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RFC2324 posted:

And if I was dealing with it in my day job as a linux admin, I wouldn't be using borg, I would be using something that isn't made of chewing gum and spit.

Don't mistake my hobby crap for the extent of my knowledge, its just a way to try breaking poo poo in new and exciting ways.

What are good backup applications then?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Dont Touch ME posted:

Most of the 9front devs work at a smart appliance company that uses Plan 9 to run a bunch of their back end.
Who?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

I wrote some C to interpret and update tables within a TTF file before. There are a lot of tricks in the format to save as much memory as possible -- practically everything is specified in terms of offsets and lengths.

Can you share the code?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Next month it'll be something entirely different for the frequent distrohoppers.

Custom distro based on "Linux From Scratch." The only path forward is rolling your own build.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Does anyone know a fast PDF reader for Linux?

Try Zathura or Sioyek.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Klyith posted:

However, it doesn't handle some things right. For ex, a pdf that switches some pages between portrait and landscape mode doesn't work. The landscape pages are incorrectly shown in portrait cropped off.
There could be a way to fix that cropping in the configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DizzyBum posted:

Is there a way to dynamically control GPU fan speed in Linux? Specifically it's for an RTX 4070 Super. I can manually set the fan speeds using the NVIDIA control panel, but I'd rather set an actual fan curve instead of just having it on jet engine mode during heavy load times.

If you use GWE, I'd be curious to see how you set the curves.