Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Howdy, temperature check time:

Would the regulars here like a new thread? This one was posted in 2007 and has 272 of informative, awesome, difficult-to-sift-through content! Though this thread does serve its purpose, a new thread might be less-intimidating to new users. If you're interested, I can get a new one up and stickied in short order— this doesn't really need a mini-encyclopedia to get off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

BigFactory posted:

Would the new thread do anything different to make it less difficult to sift through, or would it just have less content? Its mostly just people asking what soundbar to buy and the thread regulars suggesting anything but a soundbar.

Good question: If you have ideas to make it easier to streamline questions or make them easy to find in your search engine do jour, I'm all ears. If the soundbar thing really is that much of a pain, it can be added to the OP as one of things people don't particularly like to answer.

One strategy employed by forums over the years is to publish topic-driven posts and link directly to them in a FAQ-style post below the OP so there's a link index of important parts of the thread. One possible avenue to kickstart this is to skim the old thread and post the more frequent Q&As in the second post.

qirex posted:

I spent a bit of time formulating a new audio thread OP but even my outline kinda turned into a mighty tome and wouldn't really help anybody into not asking a question anyway. One thing that would be helpful is to ask that folks always include a budget when they're asking for buying advice.

Yeah, audio is like that a bit— Perhaps the OP should be fairly single-minded about equipping people to spit out a much more focused question instead of a crash course in the subject material? In my experience elsewhere, quick-question-havers are likely not asking things because they're unable to find information, but they're not getting a short/straight answer. In that light, reducing the load on question-answerers understanding the ask is probably the best thing an OP to do.

\/\/ with any luck new blood helps us avoid that, but it's entirely possible!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Like so?

This is the second incarnation of the Quick Audio Questions thread.

Got a quick question about audio? Post it here!

The goal of this thread is to answer any and all audio questions that don't belong in the following dedicated threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Equipment setup sharing
Turntables and vinyl
PC speakers

How to ask a quick question:
You could try shooting from the hip and trying your luck, but a concise post with specifics will help others greatly. Please take a moment to condense your question into something that is easily understood, and can be answered with specifics.

1) What is your exact problem?
2) What specific information can you provide about the problem?
3) What is your desired result? This one may not always apply, so don't worry if you can't answer this one.

If you're looking for a product to buy:
1) Define parameters like budget, form factor, absolutely necessary features (if applicable), and how/where you're gonna use this thing.
2) If you're looking for speakers, posters may ask you about the room they're going in. This might include things like how big it is, does it have carpet, etc. Be prepared to answer follow-up questions.

Examples of questions that work well:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm running a projector for a movie night at my son's school. In order to interface with the PA system, I need to pipe audio from the projector in the middle of the room to the mixer that is about 60-75' away.

Can I safely use a super long 1/8" stereo extension cable for this run? Or will it sound terrible after so many feet?

Lamquin posted:

Quick question regarding the quality of different audio streaming formats!

I'm a huge fan of online radio to discover new music, and have found a few different formats. For example, the site https://www.di.fm gives me a choice between the following:

256k MP3
128k AAC-Plus
128k WMV

My brain assumes that Bigger=Better, but I couldn't exactly tell a difference. Is any of these formats the "best", or are they all equal?

MikeJF posted:

Hey, if this is the right thread, are there any nice cheap little dongles like the Chromecast Audio but with the Spotify Connect protocol in it on account of the Chromecast Audio in Spotify sucking arse and breaking all the time?

Thread frustrations:
1) Many people ask "which soundbar should I get?" The answer is probably "none," as outlined by KillHour in the previous thread. Expect that question to go over like a loud fart.

Caveat: it's possible, however unlikely, that some company will do something to address the main performance complaints of soundbars in the future. Should that be the case, any mod with buttons should feel OK to replace this part of the OP unilaterally without asking me to reflect this.

2) Sometimes you won't get what you explicitly asked for, or you're told that you have to do something else that isn't what you imagined. It's possible that you didn't lay out important parameters to your question, or that it was misread— but it's more likely that what you're asking simply isn't in the cards. In any case, assume that the people attempting to help you didn't try to frustrate you, and extend them the same grace that you would want someone to extend to you if your roles were reversed.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That's an interesting idea- here are my follow-ups:

1) by merging these threads, are we shedding quick questions, or are we aiming for some middle-ground between the two?
2) if we keep these separate, what's a best-case scenario look like in terms of thread vibe/performance?

I was planning on stickying the quick questions reboot to hopefully funnel people to the correct places first, but if these threads merge that's no longer a smart idea unless the topic changes to "recommend me a home audio setup"

In any case, post thoughts and I will do my best to meet your needs

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Time to update those bookmarks! New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042607

I'm going to sticky the new thread so hopefully it is more effective at funneling people to the appropriate places. It's okay if it doesn't have a ton of posts.