Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Seconding a RAM mount. A buddy and I use one on our dualsports. even in the dirt it holds our brickphones in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

What's the general consensus on the best heated grips? I have a 2014 Yamaha FZ1 and I'm sick of cold hands.

They're great for chilly short runs, but are kind of meh on several hour trips.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wapole Languray posted:

Hah! Dainese has no hold on me, because I'm 6 foot tall and built like a refrigerator! Yeah, my torso is basically square, so nothing that tapers at the bottom works on me.

Yay.

:smithfrog::hf::smithfrog:

I have one of their jackets in 44 thats basically a tarp since I'm a 40, and thats about the closest thing to dainese that I can wear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

My cheepo overpants have crap knee protection. Would these be ok for everyday riding?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-race-kneeshin-guards

I have a pair of these. I use em offroad, and for commuter duty. they'll be fine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

One of those outfits is actually matching at least :colbert:

I'd rock it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

:hfive: especially with the bike.

Bet you I could pull so many (dude's) numbers with that back in the Bay.

Even Better

I see a kickass ginormo built out KTM adventure every day. makes me want one so so so bad

E: new page! Picked up new Taichi gp-evo gloves to commute in. Love them. outta the dozen or so pair I have, those fit the best.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
loving ape hands. aka the same.

I was using a set of A* smx air carbon gloves for dirt riding but I killed the poo poo out of them last trip. They fit decentish.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The intercom is handy as hell when you're in the dirt or on roads with a lot of turnoffs.

I bought the f5mc. Fuckin spouse talks to me more on the intercom than any other time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I bought one of those a few weeks ago. Noisy(75+) and fogs up at stoplights, but it loving works good off road and in the city.

wish I bought orange instead of black, dammit

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its a ram bug scoop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/AkLftkk (linked for bustedness)

Yeah the AFX-41? its nice. does its job. till you plant it face first at lightspeed. The cut below my nose was a 1/4 long flap that was stitched shut with surgical glue.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My manager rocks a two piece bilt helmet. I wouldn't wear that fucker *in* the jeep much less on a bike.

I bought an Icon variant to replace my wrekced afx41. Holy poo poo is it quiet, but their cheek pads are not meant for people with big rear end cheek bones.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Front zippers failing is like an A* tradition at this point. My A* perf leather was out for repair when I had my crash. Wife is supposed to go pick it up today.

My A* ktm suit has lovely rear end zippers... I need to get that fucker rebuilt. my dd Gimoto suit is just as lovely in the zipper department too constantly loving derailing.

speaking of KTM.

This arrived today. DRZ is trying to be a KTM anyway.

beater plated ktm turd is next on my project list

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've owned both. Icons fit a size small or I have a weird loving head. Both helmets are good in the fit/finish department. I bounced a scorpion off some tarmac a few years ago without ill result.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

new boot day. Passing the old as gently caress forceflex boots on to a friend.

They're fantastic boots.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Going somewhere on the bike where I don't want to look too ridiculous once I'm off it"

This is the second best reason to wear moto gear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had to get a size smaller cheeckpads for my variant because Mediterranean face, but my fox v3 fits perfect.

Some people are just built on a saturday and they have to mix and match.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

1 pieces are a loving pain in the rear end to live with, I vastly prefer my 2 piece suit.

You try to take an urgent piss in a 1pcs, its a worry. A good 2pcs has a full wrap zip anyway.

I've never had a problem with that. Just be careful with the zipper.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ires-42708.html

I used one to drag a bike cross country twice.

E: no deck, just a dirt bike rail and a small ramp

BP festiva would pull it without issue.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 20, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

GPS is for people who have goldfish memory spans. :colbert:

Sooooo thats why you hit that median. tsk tsk.

I've not had my note 5 fall out of the xgrip yet...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The tech boom is flooding California with non-Californians so it actually kind of sucks now, at least in the Bay.

This. Bay area needs a major earthquake like a motherfucker.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
klim and bmw gear are infact nice. You can get ~dual sport~ Oreinted gear from almost every manufacturer, Fox 360, thor, etc all have a line. You want to get adequate *impact* protection too. knees, and elbows at minimum. Get a cheapish pressure jacket if you have the coin.

I use Thor static, acerbis cosmo jacket, and some fox knee pads. The acerbis jacket is expensive, but its definitely worth the money.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sidis are my go-to. but I've thin/long euro feet so they fit me well. Gearnes work good for wider feet. I've a pair of fox Comp5s as cheap beater boots, they really lack in ankle support compared to the crossfire2s, but thats apples to oranges.

I usually keep an eye out for mail-man calf room, tons of ankle support, and a firm sole. I used a old set of force-flexes and they worked great, even for 15 years old. Ankle pivots mean the boot will have a longer shelf life too. My spouse has a few pair of foxes that lasted him ~2 years before they started to fail.

I've crash tested the cosmo too, it probably saved me from having a broken clavicle. It doesn't hurt to layer the poo poo out of it either. I get pretty chilly on the highway with the thing so I throw baselayers under it, the jacket, then a mx shirt, and a leather jacket over it. Probably could get away with a sweater too...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
guys think of it this way. the problem will just solve itself. Let em rationalize and let Darwin do the rest.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
which means more bieks for us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've owned a pair of xfire2 srs boots for a while. they're absolutely awesome. If you have wide feet go up a size.

They've tons of ankle support too which is nice.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I use soccer socks with good results.

Sidi boots: if you have euro feet, they fit true to size. if you have caterpillar tracks, go up a size or two or get Gearnes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend as much on gear as I did on my bike, but I really, really hate hospitals.

my boots cost more than my drz initially did.

Bright poo poo is awesome, but people still wont see you.

They'd actually have to look up from their phones.
that said, my next moto suit will be custom to look like an iphone.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

THIS is megadad:

Would you do him? I'd do him.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also, given that I'll mostly be farting around on forest roads and the like, not full-on dirt riding, what is the better choice between dirt and adv helmets?

Having gone down adv helmet road, If I'm getting anywhere near the idea of dirt, its dirt helmets.
Just wear earplugs on the street, and a balaclava if its chilly. Raindrops suck, tia.
(I own a icon variant (sucks for DS use) and a fox v3 carbon)

builds character posted:

AFX FX-41 is pretty good. Seconding 100% goggles. The FX-41 you can use with either goggles or just a face shield.

owned one, crashed the living gently caress out of it slicing my mouth open, No concussion however! Thirding 100% goggles.

This isnt to scare anyone owning one, my mishap had me flying and landing face first. I'm a pretty solid meatbag.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
imo gear is worth spending a good chunk of coin on. Injuries suck. Recoveries suck even more. I use Taichi gp-evo gloves for DD use. in a year and a half they're holding up quite well, the cost will sting a little though. (I wanted scaphoid protection and not handroids)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

I take it leather gauntlets/gloves I wore in the rain should be reconditioned, huh?

... what is leather (re)conditioner :(

I use leatherique. works best if you can let it sit for a day or two in a really hot room. Pristine clean works tits too. it'll take out scuffs and such that happen.

Febreeze is good for raunch too. If you plan on transversing deep water often it probably wouldnt hurt to put a small hole in the sole of your boot to let water drain easily.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for fixing holes in boot soles?

a cobbler can take care of you. You *should* be able to order new soles.

orrr :effort:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd say so with the EPS layer on that thing hangin out like that.

Nexx carbon-zero yes? jfc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I busted my face p good with a afx-41. No concussions though. just as a FYI. snout caved and went through my mouth. admittedly I landed face first at about warp 6.8

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
When they blow out they're done.

I own a pair of cf2s with SRS. The SRS is *not* waterproof.
Otherwise a solid boot if they fit your feet.

E: clarification.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 12, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that helmet is noisy as gently caress and p jerky at speeds over 80....but so is any other motocross helmet. But it does its job.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I didn't know you'd had one, but you'd have a similar perspective since you ride a similar bike. I don't notice the noise like you did. The AGV was shreaky as gently caress, though, and I'm sure the more expensive brands are much quieter.

Yup. I ran it into the earth face first at warp 7.5. the snout caved, but i had no concussion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
go see a doc if you're still fucky.

I landed that same helmet face first with 185lb of goon behind it at about the speed of plaid with no concussion.

2 years later though my neck still gripes at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

A bunch of dirt helmets (and presumably, soon enough, most road helmets) have rotational protection as well. Supposedly to protect more against this sort of thing. Glad you're doing OK. Fwiw, I think you probably want to deweight/loft the front end in that situation and try to throttle through.

Ya my replacement has mips(Fox V3 carbon). I'll be sure to spill the details when it gets put to use.