Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Robot Relations posted:

That's probably true. Jamie seems like he'd be a real humorless rear end in a top hat to work with or for and of the few times he's laughed at Adam's jokes or actions, none of them sounded genuine in the least.

Adams mentioned on the show before as well, that him and Jaime aren't actually 'friends'. They're basically co-workers and probably a lot of mutual respect there, but it's not a buddy show anyway, and it works well.

Since I've seen all the Survivorman and Man vs Wild episodes multiple times, I wanted to chime in -

I used to hate Man vs Wild, because it really isn't as pure a survival experience as Survivorman. People mentioned it already, but Les (Survivorman) has to try and last for a week by himself, hauling all the various camera gear himself, and his only supplies are a Multi-tool, and whatever he scraps together from the vehicle that would get him to such a remote area (IE, a trashed bike or broken snowmobile). The show is very eerie at times, due to the lack of production. It's just one man trying to last in isolation and the elements, and the emotional impact on him is palpable in every single show.

Bear Grylls (Man vs Wild) doesn't do any of that. He shows how to get out of bad situations, and since he doesn't worry about dying alone, or any of that 'real' stuff, he can go more crazy. You see him doing risky things like people mentioned - eating raw meat thats laying around, drinking water without boiling it, jumping off waterfalls, etc. His show is more 'extreme' but not as involving emotionally. I warmed up to the show after a while because it's more fun to watch with buddies, but it's not a survivor experience.

Both have their place, and both actually live up to their titles very well. Survivorman would be my preference if I had to pick one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Last weeks Mythbusters was the first time I had to stop watching the show -- the saliva collecting made me dry heave. I'm almost gagging just thinking about it.

Man vs Wild: Australia was AWESOME - not only did he drink pee but he ate a drat spider too, and it was cool to see him deal with some real weather (powerful lighting storms)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like the new guy too. I get the impression they edit out 90 percent of Cody bitching him out though. Lots of awkward edits during their debates, and in one conversation Cody starts apologizing for going off -- which they edited out but I want to see. The second ep where they find the African poacher stuff was pretty infuriating. Jesus those loving nail traps.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

JohnSherman posted:

I would hope that they wouldn't have to edit out arguments. I'm no wilderness survival expert, but it seems like arguing and fighting would be exactly what you wouldn't want to be doing in a survival scenario.

That's exactly what this show was in the first season, Cody and Dave were constantly arguing and disagreeing. Like all the time. They would get to a stream and start fighting about how to drink the water (this literally happened, and more than once).

It's much more realistic to show that groups of two or more are going to have disagreements, because it is definitely going to happen.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

So when is Mythbusters supposed to be coming back anyway?

I want them to do more survival crossovers. Duct Tape Island was just the best. Jamie was about to cry when he killed that little fish.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hated when they said the flying guillotine wasn't plausible in combat, because after an entire day or whatever of practice, they couldn't hit a moving target on a regular basis. Because it's not like a soldier or fighter trains for years and years to get proficient with their weapons. Jerks.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
This Indy Car episode is kinda okay but next they re-air mother loving DUCT TAPE ISLAND, aka the best Mythbusters episode of all time. Jamie feels so bad for killing that pretty fish, and Adam, it turns out, kicks rear end at surviving in the wild.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mythbusters is blowing my mind. Dirtbike just smoked across 100 feet of water.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you find yourself stranded in the wild with a pallet of duct tape, don't do what the Mythbusters did.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Survivorman is incredible, and more than one person has credited the show with teaching them things that saved them in actual survival scenarios -

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2008/04/04/tv_reality_show_saved_my_life_snowmobiler_says.html

E - The second link was about Man vs Wild and screw that guy.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 29, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's terrible. The only episode I watched had a 40 something guy with a 20 something girl, and the guy was a belligerent rear end in a top hat who broke down crying. The girl was trying to maintain some sort of stability but the guy kept screaming random poo poo about hating people.

In the end they both got excellent survival grades. Moron show full of morons.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Watommi posted:

I like Survivorman and could mostly enjoy Dual Survival, but couldn't get through 5 minutes of this show.

Survivorman is Grade A tier for showing what actual survival would be like if you were stranded and alone. I once read a critic describe it as 'six days of a guy sitting under a tree, on the seventh he eats a beetle'. It may even have been in this thread, but it was perfect. That is what would happen if you were caught alone and relatively unprepared in the wild. Les is a smart, capable and experienced wilderness man and he struggles to get through that crap. Amateurs are doomed before they begin.

Dual Survival was more action-oriented and showed more risk taking, but it also presented a fun dynamic between two guys who think they should be in charge. It was absolutely tolerable for the most part. The most annoying thing is Cody constantly bitching about his military-minded partner wanting to hunt for food, but then sitting around the fire and munching down whatever the guy caught without complaint. That and not wanting to ever wear something to cover his bare feet no matter the environment. Even if it slowed them down considerably. Cody is the guy you either leave behind or eat first.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

This was definitely the best episode so far. Regarding every other episode, do people actually like stupid people drama? Or are reality TV producers just huge assholes?

The idea seems to be to showcase people that, if you were stranded with them, you would feel okay sneaking away from camp in the middle of the night with all the supplies.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Discovery channel has been advertising a new season of Survivorman starting at 9pm tonight in the corner of the screen periodically, but I don't see anything on the websites. I don't know whats going on, I got excited and now I'm confused.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it. It just feels off.

He's just obviously getting older. He sounds and looks more tired and his beard starts coming in white halfway through the show.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, he never hides the fact that there are safety precautions. It wouldn't be aired on a network if there weren't.

He generally has a safety crew but they aren't an instant save in many situations due to the remote areas and environments. Usually it's a combination of a crew (in the general vicinity), and having previously scouted the area/people. In that one ep when the jaguar was stalking him his best option was to run to a nearby village and then wait for the crew.

In that ep he was adrift, he was trying to call the crew for (hours?) without getting a signal, because a storm was coming. Eventually they got in contact and reached him but it was a big point that he was entirely without contact for a while, floating in the middle of the ocean waiting to die.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
A few weeks ago Mythbusters were doing myths that people can try at home, and one of them involved microwaving a container of water -- which they gave the okay for everyone to do at home. Microwaving water can actually be dangerous -- http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp. It's one of those things I never do because I heard about it as a kid. They probably should have looked into it and done a segment on if microwaving water is dangerous, instead of whatever they were doing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was, I watched about 15 minutes, and when they got to a still photograph clearly showing Big Foots face on camera, Les wonders if this is an elaborate hoax. Since we hadn't gotten any major news stories recently that a television adventurer discovered Big Foot, it felt like a waste of time to keep watching.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can even be served by them leaving papers on your front door. Sheriff did that do me once, rubber-banded the papers real good to my door handle. And if that was a summons then him not showing up doesn't stop the case, it only means he's not there to defend himself.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm sure nobody is watching it since it's not about catching fish, but this behind-the-scenes of Dual Survival has been real good. The footwear-less hippy Cody keeps losing it in all these un-aired footages, throwing random fits. I never really liked him, hope the new hippy is more tolerable.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

I'm getting around to watching Survivorman Bigfoot that I dvrd a while ago. Les Stroud is a nut. He keeps saying he's a skeptic, but then compares himself to Jane Goodall and says how he's going to find proof.

Going all in on bigfoot is pretty stupid but if he says he's seen and heard spooky crap out there, and thinks it conforms to this myth, then good luck to him. He's certainly spent enough time in wilderness areas to have encountered some weird poo poo. I couldn't make it through that terrible special though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

nmfree posted:

The very first animated .gif I ever made.

The sound of that explosion was great. No bang, just 'thwoooom'.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tonights was good, I enjoyed that 'improv' wood gun build.

muscles like this? posted:

The annoying thing about doing TV/movie myths is that a lot of stuff ends up as plausible instead of confirmed.

I dont like this either. 'well we've proven it is possible as shown but the original source was fiction so... plausible'. No if you proved it was possible then it's confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wonder if the build team will get their own show, I liked their personalities and interplay for the most part but clearly Mythbusters is a stronger show when it's focused on two things instead of five.

• Locked thread