Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and it is amazing

http://i.imgur.com/5BH6WYw.jpg

I think my favorite is Vimes in pajamas with a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh my god I want all of them. All of them.

Kind of sad Polly or De Worde aren't there :smith:. Or the New Firm.

http://shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-c-48.html

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Snowmankilla posted:

I am going to go broke.

I really would like to make a chess set out of these, but we're talking 32 figurines at 8-12 euros each. So it's not happening.

But man, I gotta have Vimes as the Queen for the A-M side.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sebmojo posted:

Thud is actually one of my favourites, though iirc that's not a universal opinion.

Thud is my second-favorite Watch book, behind Night Watch.

Which probably puts it in my top 5 and absolutely in the top 10.

Roots Radical posted:

I'm just about done Raising Steam right now, and I don't see the problem with it. It's still a good Moist story, and I love how much of a kid in a candy store Drumknott is on the train.
The battle between the grags and everyone else is pretty neat too.

It has some good parts, but that serves only to contrast the bad things. There are hints of what could have been another great novel. Instead, we get something very much near the bottom of the Discworld barrel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I am re-reading the Watch books, in order. I'm like 80% through Jingo.

I realized that I just don't like this book much. It may well be the weakest of the Watch novels. Everything in it goes on just a bit too long. Vetinari with Nobby and Colon? Hilarious, until the fifth time Vetinari puts Fred down without Fred realizing. There's far too much of that kind of thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

By all reports it is much better, although also clearly unfinished.

I finished it last night. The first half is really, really good. The chapter which contains the aforementioned spoiler is one of the most beautiful things he's written. I twigged what was going to happen pretty early, and it lead to this entire sense of bittersweet anticipation.

In some ways, I feel he was writing his own death as much as Granny's.

The last half isn't nearly so polished. It feels very rushed and leaves more than one plot thread hanging. It's obvious that there was to be a test of wills between Tiffany and Ms. Earwig, but that got set aside. Geoffrey was a great character but, ultimately, he was just set dressing. And there was so much more that the Queen could have done.

Overall, The Shepard's Crown was pretty good. It's no Night Watch, Small Gods, or Reaper Man, but it was way better than some, like Raising Steam, which is one of the few Discworld books I actively dislike.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thud is legitimately one of my favorite Discworld books.

I always felt that the girls night out segment had two primary purposes. It's meant to show that Nobby is a pretty good dude who has, whether by luck or by Vimes' example, overcome his upbringing. Despite Nobby's well-earned reputation, he's a good guy today. Look past Nobby and you see the good man he has slowly become.

It also shows that Angua and Sally most certainly have not overcome their demons. Scratch the veneers and they're still monsters at heart. They've softened, and they're trying to be better, but they're not. Not yet. They're still capable of monstrous acts, and even willing to be monstrous.

Thud is all about looking beneath the surface. Everyone from Nobby to Angua to Mr Shine to Vimes to the whole war itself, Thud wants you to look past the veneer and see the truth of its characters, the circumstances that they are in, and the world in which they live. The climax of the book is in a cave, for Om's sake. A cave in which, shockingly, the truth was discovered.

I am very rarely the kind of guy who catches subtext, but in Thud, it's drat near regular text.

(slight edit for clarity)

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 19, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Liquid Communism posted:

The Guarding Dark might be the purest pinnacle of Vimes' characterization.

Agreed. He finally embraces that darkness in his heart. That it's a literal corrupting presence doesn't take away from the metaphorical meanings here. Sam is, in many ways, finally at peace with himself at the end of Thud.

There are a lot of parallels with the Guarding Dark and the early Watch when Angua, Detritus, and such were rookies. Steer them in the right direction, and let nature take over.

Closely supervised, of course.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Syncopated posted:

Hey, I've never heard of this! Awesome.

e: And she was married. Nanny had nothing against witches being married. It wasn't as if there were rules. She herself had had many husbands, and had even been married to three of them.

Man, I love Nanny Ogg.

So did many others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

didn't realize that Nation existed

it is Very Good

Nation is one of my favorite Pratchett books. Maybe #1.

It's so very, very, very good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I hope Punk Rock Thriller is a golem with a Mohawk covering Michael Jackson’s music video

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The disassociation scene on the beach in Nation is easily one of the most grim things he's ever written

Nation is my favorite Pratchett novel, period, and a large part of it is precisely that it pulls no punches.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Honestly, I don't like Wyrd Sisters much either. I feel like Witches don't find their feet until Witches Abroad, and then every book is gold.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have started a big Discworld reread for the holidays. I began with Guards! Guards! And will be reading in publication order.

I’m wrapping up GG now. This book is wonderful. It’s fascinating just how well it sets up the main A-M characters, not just the watch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've made it through Eric, Reaper Man, and Witches Abroad in my Discworld re-read.

Of the these three, Reaper Man is far and away the best. There's a reason it's quoted in the thread title. The scene at the end where he dances with his landlady is just so sweet.

Eric just sort of exists. Eh.

I'm honestly surprised how much I didn't like Witches Abroad this time around. It was fun, but it was repetitive. The witches make fun of Magrat, don't understand the locals, and foil a little story. Wash and repeat.

The best scenes, by far, are Granny Weatherwax taking out the card sharps and, later, confronting Lily. Her anger at being forced to be the good witch is a defining character moment. Pratchett really leans into this "a good witch by nature and a bad witch by inclination" thing hard from here on, and it's a great foundational concept.

Now on to Small Gods, which I've long considered to be the best Discworld book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ccs posted:

Was "I Shall Wear Midnight" well received? It'd be nice if Discworld went out with a bang, or at least a fairly good book since the last couple non-YA books showed such a decline.

I'm thinking of reading the Tiffany Aching books in the coming months as I've gotten back into this series. I picked up The Fifth Elephant and Jingo on sale, wish I had actually bought more. They're as good as I remember.

It's the least of the Tiffany Aching books, but it's way better than Snuff or Raising Steam

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CommonShore posted:

I'm reading Discworld from the start in publishing order and I just read Lords and Ladies. That may have been my favourite one yet.

I'm also doing a re-read. I just finished Thud!

Is that my cow? It goes HRUUUUUGH!
It is a hippopotamus. That's not my cow!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got a hardback copy of Nanny Ogg’s cookbook for Christmas. I’m super excited. This is one of very few Discworld things I’ve never read through before

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nation may be my favorite of all his books.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This was a good interview.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Nation because the last few posts, my first new Pratchett book since his death (GNU Terry), and was teary-eyed two goddam pages in. So thank you thread. :mad:

Nation is, imo, the best thing pTerry wrote. It’s beautiful and sad and hopeful and funny and harrowing.

The scene where Mau dissociates on the beach is so very good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

I use this as my basis for how to use the fae folk in every form. When I write. When I play D&D. When I run D&D.

The fae should be wonderful, marvelous, fantastic, glamorous, enchanting, and god drat terrifying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The portion of The Shepard's Crown that covers (major spoilers, for real) Granny Weatherwax's death is incredibly good. It's pTerry saying goodbye to all of us through the lens of the Discworld saying goodbye to Granny .

The rest of the book isn't as good, but it's worth it just for that segment. And the whole book is better than Snuff or Raising Steam.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rand Brittain posted:

Wait, so Amazing Maurice already came and went in theaters? Somehow I totally missed it. Was it good?

I expected to hate it; didn't. I wanted to like it; didn't. It was okay.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Granny Weatherwax's summation of "evil is when you start thinking of people as things" is a pretty big component of my moral framework.

Ditto. It's one of the foundational aspects of how I see the world. Pratchett was able to put into words something that I've always felt, and I love him for it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CommonShore posted:

Just confirmed that Nation is available for me to put on my syllabus for this term. We'll be discussing it in November. I'll report on how it goes.

What grade level?

Nation is a fantastic book. It might be my favorite of all his works.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CommonShore posted:

First year uni. I'm teaching Robinson Crusoe in a different course at the same time, too

Awesome. I hope you make the assignments as much fun as the book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Counterpoint: there is a moment when you get the grenade launcher and some NPC shouts a warning “she’s got a GRENADE LAUNCHER” with absolute terror in his voice, and it is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alhazred posted:

The fact that Shepard's Crown reached a state where they could publish it at all is a small miracle.

I think the entirety of the effort went into That Chapter, which makes me cry every single time I read it.

The rest of the book is just there to give a reason for that chapter to exist.