Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I HAVE ALL OF TERRY PRATCHETT'S DISCWORLD BOOKS. THE CHARACTERS ARE UNIQUE AND ONE TALKS LIKE THIS. I LOOK FORWARD TO FINDING DEATH REFERENCES IN EVERY BOOK.

The Susan arc in Thief of Time threw me for a loop, though, although I rather did like the overly ample descriptions of how teacher-ly she was :D

My god, the Wee Free Men drove me batty with their bastardized Scottish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

NastyPBears posted:

In Jingo did anyone else think he was doing Lovecraft (when the island first appears and he is talking about weird non-human statues or something, it has been a while) only to be disappointed?

Not that the book is anything less than great. I think it is the first one where we learn that Vimes' butler Willikins is secretly hard as gently caress. He is my favourite cameo type character - I love him in Thud after the dwarfs break in to Vimes' cellar when he is all "I regret to say I was forced to deal somewhat strictly with them. I fear one might be dead"

Oh god yes, I forgot about Willikins. Now he's one bad rear end gangsta (literally!) in my book.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I picked up half a dozen Discworld books for fifty cents each.

WTF HOW WHERE?!?!

Oh, and Rincewind pisses me off with his utter pussyness.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Are Carpe Jugulum and Lords and Ladies nearly the same book, or am I hallucinating?

The side effect of reading almost all the Discworld novels is they really start to blur together after awhile :(

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Nilbop posted:

gently caress. gently caress fuckity friggety jiggity jib jabbery wabbery flappity happity gently caress.

And he's being so nice about it. He even did the smiley thing.

Argh, gently caress it, someone shrink me down. I'm going into his brain to beat up this disease.

Honey, I Shrunk The Goons!

I read this on Fark and was wondering how long it'd take you guys to put out the notice. I'm rather pissed that we won't be getting many more books, but sad for Prachett too because my stepfather has Alzheimer's and it's horrible. It's a good way to drive their caretakers insane (and poor).

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

olylifter posted:

Anyone seen this and bidding on it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Terry-Pratchett-Sky-One-Colour-of-Magic-for-Charity_W0QQitemZ220211906562QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220211906562

One-off replica of the Luggage. Brilliant.

With a 0 feedback seller, all the images are broken, and unverifiable signature authenticity? No thanks.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Keshik posted:

That was a loving travesty, and I thought he could not have done a worse job.

Can I just say Eragon and Dungeons & Dragons?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

precision posted:

Would it be too obvious to say that Alan Rickman would be the perfect Vetinari?

Only if he smiles more for this role. He plays the silent scowling bad guy well enough, let's have a role change! I know he CAN smile, ffs...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Has anyone picked up Dodger? I'm about halfway through it and while there's definitely some hard-core Prachett-style writing in there, it's also so heavily.... British compared to the Discworld books. If it wasn't for the footnotes on the Cockney rhyming slang and the Internet as a dictionary to parse out the less obvious Britishicisms (cove means "dude", not "little body of water"), I'd be completely lost in this book.

I'm enjoying it, though.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ThaGhettoJew posted:

On the other hand Thud!, Wintersmith, and Snuff are all pretty drat good. Going Postal just happens to be brilliant. Not to mention that Nation, Dodger, and The Long Earth were all great non-Discworld reads that came afterwards too.

I liked Dodger. I'm trying to get through The Long Earth and I just don't like its slow, slow pace. Yes, I get it, anyone with a potato can build a Stepper and visit any Stepwise Earths, move ON already. I don't think the real plot started until 1/4 of the way into the book. Far, far too long a premise for what is essentially a simple concept.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

You can email me at my username @ gmail dot com and we can work out the fine details but I have the four major books for the Witches cycle - Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum. All in paperback so they are cheap to ship around.

Media mail!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

I made a thing stealing all the awesome things from reddit and various other places, as is the Gods-given right of Internet denizens.

GNU Terry Pratchett

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I knew I needed to update my website, now I have another reason.

Also

I'm annoyed; my copy of Night Watch is at my parents' and they're out of the country, so i can't do my re-read.

Do it, and then PM me.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

John Dough posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean

quote:

Professor Macarona D.Thau (Bug), D.Maus (Chubb), Magistaludorum (QIS), Octavium (Hons), PHGK (Blit), DMSK, Mack, D.Thau (Bra), Visiting Professor in Chickens (Jahn the Conqueror University (Floor 2, Shrimp Packers building, Genua)), Primo Octo (Deux), Visiting Professor of Blit/Slood Exchanges (Al Khali), KCbfj, Reciprocating Professor of Blit Theory (Unki), D.Thau (Unki), Didimus Supremius (Unki), Emeritus Professor in Blit Substrate Determinations (Chubb), Chair of Blit and Music Studies (Quirm College for Young Ladies)

I have a feeling he's a relative of Mr. Gambolputty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Regarding audiobooks: how do they handle the footnotes? :aaaaa: