Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

blk posted:

Why would it look like my AC compressor is leaking coolant?

Could be dripping off the water pump inlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

FatCow posted:

It's a total cocksucker. Keep playing with the angle of the transmission/motor mating until it slips in. Make sure the trans is in neutral. The last time I pulled only the motor it took almost an hour to get the loving input shaft in.

Tips:
1. A little grease on the input splines and inside the pilot bearing goes a long, long way here. Not too much or it will get into the clutch, but just enough so that everything slides on easily.
2. Tilt the engine as far back as you can. With the trans out, the engine naturally rocks forward on the mounts, which makes getting the trans lined up virtually impossible. A 2x4 under the steering rack against the oil pan usually does the trick for me.
3. Understand what's going on inside there. The first thing that slides on is the clutch disc. Once that's on, it slides on a bit more, and the input shaft slides into the pilot bearing. You have a bit of slop room with the clutch splines, but the trans needs to be lined up perfectly square to get the pilot bearing to slip onto the input shaft. The secret here is to get the trans onto the clutch disc, get it squared up as best you can, and slowly push and rock until you feel the input shaft mate up with the pilot bearing. Once that's done, it should slide into place immediately.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

GutBomb posted:

If the track is willing to let me out there with the factory roll hoops than I'm willing to take the risk.

You're dumb as gently caress. Have fun dying when the car gets away from you, slides into the grass at 25mph, hooks, and flops over on its roof. I've been doing this for a decade and I've seen that happen over and over. Thankfully no HPDE groups on the west coast are pants-on-head retarded enough to let idiots like you track their convertibles without real rollover protection, so nobody out here dies from rollovers.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Relax. I'll be fine.

You might not be, but you didn't come here looking for actual advice. You came here for yes-men to tell you that it's totally OK to take unnecessary and completely avoidable risks with your own life. I've been doing what you want to do for a very long time, and I'm telling you that you're an idiot. I'm telling you this less for your own well-being (because it's clear you won't listen anyway), and more for the well-being of others who might read this in the future and think that it's OK to emulate your astounding stupidity.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

See if you can spot the mistake he makes.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Three people who track their car told you that you need a rollbar. You're ignoring us all because you don't like the answer we gave you. You're going to go with the track's answer, which you like better.

You were looking for people to tell you what you wanted to hear. I'm glad the track was able to do that for you.

Savington fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 31, 2015

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

GutBomb posted:

You people have convinced me that if I do it to get a roll bar. You've also convinced me not to ask simple questions in the forum lest I have my intentions of asking misconstrued and be called an idiot multiple times for thinking that I'd probably be ok in an extremely unlikely rollover with the factory roll hoops.

It's tough love. Tracking your car without a rollbar is a really, really bad idea. I am unironically glad we were able to convince you of that. I've seen too many rolled cars and too many people take a lackadaisical attitude towards HPDE safety to treat comments like "I'll probably be ok" with anything but utter contempt. People die doing this, and it's so easy to NOT die doing it that it's a tragedy when it does happen.

e: In CA, when people die at racetracks, it happens at HPDE events. I can think of four in the last 15 years or so. One resulted in a significant track alteration (ACS), the others can be entirely attributed to subpar or lack of safety gear. Everyone thinks W2W is more dangerous, but the worst thing you can possibly do is go out as a beginner on a racetrack with subpar safety gear. That's why I was so hard on you.

Savington fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2015

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Here is what happens when you have a rollover in a Miata with no rollbar:

That's me in the red shirt. Buttonwillow, summer of '07. That car had a single-hoop bar with no rear legs or diagonals, and the bar was tweaked backwards in the car. Insufficient rollover protection and the driver (shirtless guy) is very lucky to walk away from it.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Hopefully this post isn't too commercial - I've been a member here long enough that I doubt anyone will complain about me hawking some parts, especially ones as cool as these.

If you were at MRLS over the weekend, hopefully you got a chance to check out the turbo kit I've been working on over the last few years. I started my company (Trackspeed Engineering) in 2009 to sell some of the parts I had developed for my own turbocharged Miata, and around 2011, I scrapped my own turbo car built using parts from several sources and set about designing my own kit from scratch, with the benefit of four full years of racing a turbo car under my belt. The new kit is based around the BorgWarner EFR6258 and EFR6758, and we can scale the power from 160whp all the way up to 400whp+ depending on the turbo and ancillary parts used. The manifold we're using was designed specifically for us, and it's shell molded from 347 stainless steel by a US foundry. The downpipe is all 3" mandrel bent stainless, and the turbo studs are our own flavor of M8 Inconel to ensure that everything stays put on track.

The turbo incorporates a bunch of neat features - integrated bypass valve, integrated EBC valve mount, and a properly-designed internal wastegate which totally eliminates all the boost creep issues that the Garrett turbos are so notorious for. The coolest feature by far is the turbine wheel, which is made from titanium aluminide. TiAl has similar mechanical properties to nickel alloys, but typically weighs half as much. The end result for our application is a turbocharger that spins up significantly faster, which reduces turbo lag dramatically. The EFR6258 is a "big" turbo by the numbers, and it's capable of ~325whp, but it responds and drives like a GT2554R. The EFR6758 is an absolute monster, with a ~450whp compressor wheel and the same lightweight turbine wheel as the 6258.

Anyway, enough yakking. I think the kit is super bitchin' and I think you guys might like it.

Manifold shots. Our goals were small volume, runners directed at the turbo (tubular style, not log like most other cast manifolds), and optimized to fit the EFR6258 into the car. Packaging is tough, but it all fits with a 3" downpipe, and you can keep A/C, P/S, cruise, ABS, etc.

A few installed shots.

Dyno sheet from yesterday with the 3" downpipe blowing straight into a 2.25" stock exhaust (no stepdown pipe). Still made 158whp at 5psi.

Datalogs from last night, showing boost control with a full 3" exhaust. Garrett stuff will typically creep to 10+psi with a big exhaust at sea level, we are rock solid at 7psi. Butt dyno says 180-185whp at 6-7psi.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Those signs are meaningless. In CA, the police cannot use time-distance calculations to prove you were speeding (CVC 40802(a)(1)). The police might use an airplane to identify a speeder, but they still need to pace you or get a radar hit in order to actually stop you and issue a citation.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Got my daily driver (2002 SE) to a dyno this week. Built motor, Trackspeed EFR6758 turbo system, Megasquirt MS3, GM D585 coils, and a big fuel system (ID1000s, flex fuel, Walbro 450-E85 pump, Fuelab FPR/filter, 30A relay). 400whp has been the goal for a long time, finally put all the pieces together and got the tune done. 452whp, 427wtq at 26psi with the injectors totally maxed out (96%dc). Dropped it back to 23psi where it made 415whp (lower lines) at 84%dc.

400+whp Miatas are nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Running a stock 6sp reinforced with thoughts and prayers right now. That will get swapped for something shortly, either a BMW ZF 6-speed or a T5 or something else. Diff is a stock Miata unit now, which should hold up fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

um excuse me posted:

These guys took RWD Unlimited Global Time Attack first place. They did it with ~350hp iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6uftE69sM

~300whp, 16psi on E85. Also using one of my turbo systems, same as my 450whp street car, just with the smaller 6258 instead of the 6758 I used. Such an insane lap. Lots of the speed was in the huge aero and fresh 245/40 A7s, to be sure, but it's still absolutely mental.