Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Very nice MX-5. I really love the look of the NCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Yes, keep it. I think it looks amazing.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
The "chrome" mirrors really sell the look (of disgusting).

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

televiper posted:

The driver side seat heater in my '09 has gone on the blink and turns on while the dial is set to 0. Maybe the passenger side too, I haven't tested it. I'm going to have it looked at ASAP, but am curious if anyone else has seen this?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=427580&highlight=seat+heater+warmer
This thread has a wiring diagram for the heated seats, might be helpful.
I thought my 2011 was doing the same thing yesterday, but I just forgot to turn the heater off.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

NC problem:
Should I remove the rivets and pull that plastic out of that area and poke around? Is this a project that will end with me taking it apart without being able to put it back together?

How's it going NC buddy? I would try to loosen the plastic, but keep it in place, and use an extending magnet wand to try to snag them, hopefully without pulling apart your car.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

SpikeD posted:

Ok goons. I am working on a friends 2006 mazda miata mx5. Oh and I ran my hand held diagnostic and it gave me nothing on the air bag light.

Here's some info I found on m.net relating to this: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=445689

Also this: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=445979&highlight=airbag+flashing+light

Someone mentioned that airbag codes aren't run through the OBDII, so you'll either need to figure out the code, or take it to the dealership.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Oh my god, more NC guys! Yesssss!

Hog Obituary posted:

Why wouldn't you go with the power hardtop? It only adds like 60 lbs or something (which might be a lot on a racecar, simply not having to futz about with a separate hardtop would be worth it to me)

I have a PRHT, and it's awesome for peace of mind, but it does make my car ineligible for several track days, due to the "convertibles have to have a rollbar and the NC hardtop can't fit a rollbar" BS. But man, the knowledge that I'll never have to futz with a top replacement is worth it. Maybe in a decade, I'll rip out the whole top for a bar/cage, but that's a long way off.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

He's cheating by using an NC :colbert:

NC models start in 2006, afaik.
And my NC is getting 27 mpg at best, more typically 23. Of course, my driving plays a big role here.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I also understand the NC2 had its suspension improved slightly from the NC1, at least with the suspension package the higher end trims come in.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ha, that's funny, because I was going to recommend he get some NC2 seats, because mine feel great almost always. I've taken a 6 day roadtrip in my '11 and my main complaint was getting into the low seat and not having any extra legroom to stretch out in (which are problems inherent to any MX-5 anyway). Of course, it's not as comfortable as my wife's Corolla for long trips; but again, different types of cars.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Seat Chat v2.0 - Are your seats fabric? There may be a difference between the leather vs. fabric in terms of bolstering and padding.

Mine are leather, with heat. I couldn't compare them, I've never sat in the cloth seats.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I'm almost certain the NA/NB hardtops are no longer in production, so nope.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Matlock posted:

My dad just got an '11 with 13K on the clock. He's wanting a battery tender for the winter, as he won't be able to drive it then. Would a Battery Tender Jr 12V work out fine, or should he go up to the Battery Tender Plus?

A Jr will be just fine for maintaining an already charged battery, especially a relatively small one like a Miata battery. You can find a similar thing at Harbor Freight for $5-10, but the Deltran Tenders are the only ones I'd feel safe hooking up for an extended amount of time. Solar panels would work well too. Just be aware that a Tender of any brand/type is a slow, slow charge only for keeping good batteries from going bad, not bringing bad batteries back to good.

(I work in a battery store, can you tell?)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I'd go over it very carefully, that seems a bit low for such a (relatively) low mile car. If it checks out though, jump on it. The NC1s do have an odd suspension, even with the performance package, but it's nothing that would keep me away from a sub-10k NC. They're amazing cars.

e: Well then, forget my quibbles about price. Go for it!

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 26, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

krnhotwings posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a little while, and it seems that most of you guys own NAs or NBs but very few NCs. What're your guys' thoughts on the NC? And what about the retractable hardtop models? (Worth it or not? Potential expensive problem to fix?)

I have a 2011 NC2 and have had no trouble with the PRHT except for the roll bar problem mentioned above. If you don't have plans to track it, then you will probably enjoy the setup. I autox mine and haven't noticed a huge handicap from the extra weight.
I love my NC, it's the greatest car I've ever owned. Every drive is nirvana for a wannabe racer like myself.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

krnhotwings posted:

I'm a complete novice to the world of motorsports. I don't plan to get any track experience but would like to learn to autocross eventually.

I've yet to actually drive a Miata for myself (which I should test drive real soon..,) but I've just been perusing through craigslist and Mazda's CPO site. A black 2012 PRHT GT popped up recently, and god drat does it look slick... but for the money, I could also get an FR-S (:can:). Decisions, decisions...

I would say that the decision will come down to how much you love convertibles. Having an open roof on a great day is a great justification for an MX-5 over an FR-S or Genesis Coupe (or a Mustang or 370Z, for handling), but I can understand if other things are a priority. The inability to fit a rollbar almost guarantees I will trade in my Miata someday, but until then, autox cones beware!
(PRHT has no rollover protection other than the standard roll bars all stock miatas have.)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
On something like a Miata, I wouldn't count on a big-box store to have the specific bracket for your battery. I would order a replacement bracket from Flyin Miata and fix everything myself. Should be a ten minute fix, if that long.

1791apparel posted:

My NC brakes have started to squeal really bad. Given the timing I'm not sure if their low or if its the Minnesota weather.

With 16k miles could they possibly be toast? Not tracked, and I'm not a heavy braker.

You're fine, I've got twice that many miles on my original NC pads with heavy braking and some autox thrown in. Might be time to replace mine soon, though.

e: Now I'm paranoid that a bunch of guys are gonna tell me I'm lucky to be alive on my pads...

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 10, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

1791apparel posted:

Haha, yeah I'm probably fine.

It's just irritating. It's 0* and I come along in my little black Miata squealing up the place. Oh well.

You can probably fix that by re-bedding the pads; find a clear bit of road and make a series of hard stops, going from 30 mph to 0, 40-0, 50-0, 60-0, then going back down to 50-0, 40-0, and finally 30-0. Try not to stay on the brakes too long between stops, the rotors will be hot and susceptible to marking. By the same token, make sure to do a bit of driving afterward, to cool down the pads/rotors before putting the parking brake on.
The NC pads really love to squeal, so I have to this every few months.

vvvvv: 300 hp and non-convertible? You don't want a Miata, you want a Corvette or a M3 coupe, man.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 12, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Good, keep that woman away from New Beetles.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
That looks really nice, congrats.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
17-18k sounds about right for that mileage to me.

If you're looking at roadsters, is there a reason you're looking at NC Miatas over an S2000? Just curious for people's reasoning on this- my wife wanted my car to have a hardtop, so that discounted the Honda for myself, but the high rev limit and extra horsepower was tempting.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 23, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I've been driving my NC with 6 speed for almost 3 years now and first gear/reverse will still give me trouble on occasion. Even 1-2 shifts can be tricky if I am not paying attention.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Thanks for all the input about shifting guys, I was like Hikaki and thinking I was destroying my clutch every time I backed up an incline. However, over the past month or so, I've noticed an odd sound when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and only on that shift. It sounds almost like corduroy rubbing together. Should I take it in to the dealer for some warranty work? Shifting feel hasn't changed at all. (This is a 2011 NC2 6 speed btw)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Killer deal, wish I was anywhere close to it.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I just got a new muffler for my NC, looking forward to that sweet Honda sound.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

televiper posted:

What'd you get and can you do before and after sounds? So many of the videos on Youtube only show 'after' and don't include a baseline for whatever recording situation they're in, so they're not as useful as they could be.

If mine makes it out of the shop, new exhaust is on my to-do list.

I got the Motorsport Race muffler from Goodwin Racing, and I will definitely take a good before and after video. Unfortunately, I'm moving into a new house, so it will likely be mid March before I can get it installed.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Harmburger, that price seems a bit high for the oldest NC style, in my opinion. If the dealer will fix the blemishes and tires, then ok, but if they don't budge, I'd walk.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

blk posted:

Can someone describe the problems with the NC stock suspension and/or Bilsteins to me? I've driven the base NC a couple of times a long time ago but don't recall the ride.

Would Koni yellows and Tein lowering springs make a good alternative? A car I'm looking at is equipped as such.

The NC2 tweaked the suspension I believe; the stock and sport suspension is a bit stiffer and sits a little bit lower. They still like to ride the bumpstops on extreme cornering, though.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

From a few pages back, but you ain't getting a Honda sound with that. Your car is gonna sound like a classic European roadster, all pops and blats and backfires. That was the muffler I had on my NC, and it sounded loving awesome.

aaaaa that sounds even better, I want to be done moving already! Maybe I can get it on this weekend...

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Found some time while moving to put on my muffler.

26 lbs vs. 7:

Stock muffler:
https://youtu.be/tH7EsS_c4jo

Roadstersport Race muffler:
https://youtu.be/rn0gbIBCioY

I may never listen to the radio again.:swoon:

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 23, 2014

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I imagine these would probably have a similar sound for an NA: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/Miata/Exhaust/Mufflers.html

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Harmburger posted:

How is the Roadstersport Race at highway(70-80mph) speeds as compared to stock? I like the sound, but I don't want cruising to be a pain due to it.

Cruising is glorious, only a hair louder than stock when you aren't goosing it. Have not put in the baffle. As PeterWeller said earlier in the thread, it's the missing piece on the MX-5. Still haven't turned the radio back on.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2014

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Bovril Delight posted:

2012 GT in White with tan leather.

Congrats! Post some pics when you can, white NCs are pretty rare near me, it seems.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
The rear looks a bit more beefy, but that's about the same as the NC, isn't it?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Now I want to swipe Bovril's scoop.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Rhyno, please take some pics if you replace the carpet yourself- I wore some holes in the carpet below the pedals from driving without the mats in, so I'll be doing the same eventually.
$130 seems reasonable to me, but I haven't priced them before.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
That is a gorgeous car, glad it came out ok. I wish mine was that color.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
That's gotta be an NC for comparison's sake, and everyone just assumed it was an ND.
It's even got the same 4x4 wheelgap! (as an NC1)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Time to get ready for autocross!

Wait, what's that?

God drat it. Seriously though, what is this? I'm guessing a bump stop, but I am no mechanic. How important is this? Would my suspension be destroyed if I went to autox without fixing it? 2011 NC2 PRHT, rear right wheel, if that matters.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
34-342 is for the front, I need the rear part. Thanks for the help, guys.