Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I've been learning bass on my roommate's old Squier Affinity P-Bass, and I was looking to purchase my own. I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment and I'm trying to decide between a new SX SJB-62 and a used Ibanez SR400 that somebody is selling in my area for $150. Anybody want to take a side in this debate?

I love electrical junk and getting my hands dirty, so I'll happily rewire and shield whatever I need to. In other words, don't let initial setup be a factor in your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Holy poo poo. I just got an SX SJB-62 LPB in the mail and this thing is built like a loving tank. The electronics are nothing to write home about, but this thing is incredibly solid and feels great. The finish is amazing - lake placid blue is beautiful. The neck only needed a little adjusting and the frets are even. How the gently caress did I only pay $120 for this thing?

I tried the Ibanez I mentioned in my earlier post and it felt like plastic.

Edit: If it's between a low-end (Affinity Series) Squier and an SX, I'd go with the SX. It's like night and day between this and my roommate's Squier.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 24, 2008

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ECTO-1 posted:

Bump because Im still considering something for first bass.
How okay are SX J&P bass copies, really?
I was window shopping and these were about the cheapest in sight, so I assumed they must be awful, but on harmony-central the reviews are pretty good compared to more expensive Squires.

Any experiences?

My experience so far has been lovely. Like I said in my earlier post, it required a small neck adjustment when I received it, but other than that it's been great. So far I've replaced the pots and shielded the control cavity, which made a nice difference for a $15 investment. My next upgrade is probably going to be a set of GFS pickups, though my tinkering brain may not settle for anything less than making my own.

I like it because I know it'll grow with me. You may feel more comfortable spending the extra $100 on a Vintage Modified Squier and having a better bass out of the box, but there's no replacing the learning experience of busting out your soldering iron and spending the money you saved on upgrades.

Addendum: Part of why I like this bass so much is because it appeals to my DIY sensibilities. If you don't have the drive or need to gently caress with the things you buy, you might not like it as much. That being said, it's a steal and a half for $120.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

My list of fun tips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4 is the best bass instruction video you'll ever watch.

Type "free online metronome" into Google and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky." (Or, go to your friendly neighborhood music store and buy one for ten bucks.) Set it to 60 BPM, then do the whole 4132 1243 thing. When you can do it relaxed and without mistakes, add five or ten BPM and do it again.

Learn how to construct a major scale, a minor scale, and a chord. Learn what an arpeggio is and make it your mission to feel it in your soul. Read http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50170 and do it until your fingers bleed.

Download Hydrogen and program your own drum loops. http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Learn theory! The bass is one of the best instruments to learn it with, and there are a ton of resources in the General Instruction forum at talkbass.

Most fun you can have by yourself as a bassist: grab a 40 of OE from the convenience store, program a good drum beat into Hydrogen, and play whatever feels good with the drums until you get sick of it or pass out. If you can, record it so you can listen to yourself noodling around later.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 3, 2008

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Primus is its own genre according to the ID3 tag standard.

As for the song, load an mp3 of it in Audacity, apply the "Change Tempo" filter to it and make it about a quarter of what it would be, then play it, note for note, and see which note on your bass fits the note you hear in the song. Do this with every song you like, and make sure to write what the note actually is and not just the position on the fretboard. Like the other dude said, you can tune your bass down to hit those low notes. Alternatively, you can play it up an octave.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Akur0 posted:

and if it helps I play bass

Very astute.

Guitar Pro is a wonderful program that does exactly what you want it to. It's $60 and there's a demo version so you can see how boffo it is. There are tons of guitar pro tabs out there, too.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like paying for Guitar Pro, there's another program called Power Tab. It's pretty popular, but not as good.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Demon Seed posted:

Well you could probably buy a new squire precision for close to the same price, its really up to you. Squire is pretty decent for cheap/entry level instruments, but a Fender should be a tiny bit better at least. Go for it. If the signal cuts out or gets real fuzzy, or the tone and volume knobs are hosed up, then you probably shouldn't buy it. Other than that a 210$ Pbass sounds pretty good to me.

I wouldn't even worry about the signal fading or the knobs loving up. If that happens, use it as a haggling point, then spend like $5 on new pots and fix the problem yourself.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

The Big L posted:

Even though this may be one of the most painfully subjective questions one can ask, I can't help but seek some some advice regarding the "best" tone wood combinations for bass guitar. I know the subject is beat to death, but I've been given a great opportunity to assemble a custom bass from scratch and I'd appreciate any opinions from more experienced musicians than myself. I'm looking to construct a passive jazz bass, but I have very little experience or opportunity to experiment with different wood combinations.

I know the most common wood combinations are swamp ash body/maple neck and alder body/rosewood neck. But besides aesthetic appearances, are there any distinctive differences between them? I ask this because I've been playing budget basswood and agathis basses by entire life, so I have no personal experience with any decent/boutique tone woods. I mean, if it came down to looks only, I'd get a swamp ash body with an ebony neck, but I have no idea if these are compatible woods or not.

If it's any help, I mostly lean toward mid-low end sound frequencies (Reggae, dubstep, etc.) and have already bought/been handed down some hardware, such as:
- Dimarzio Model J Pickups
- Hipshot A Bass Bridge
- Hipshot Ultralite Tuners

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/scrap-lumber-bass-vs-alder-bass-can-you-tell-difference-743932/

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Morter posted:

So now that I got a shiny new bass, I want to get a shiny new amp that goes with it.

However, I know gently caress-all about amps and their electronic specs. Really, all I want is something that I can plug my bass into, as well as a headphone jack so my laptop/mp3 player's audio can be fed through the amp at the same time (at the moment I use this portable speaker I bought from radio shack last year to play the audio I'm practicing with).

It doesn't need to be a powerful amp, as I live in an apartment and I don't plan on performing anywhere. Just one that I can hear my bass out of clearly, and have a 3.5mm port or some way to input audio (my old amp currently has red & white plugs for "CD" input, so maybe something similar to that).

I don't want you guys doing my homework for me, but what name brands are good for practice/performing for yourself (as opposed to an audience or an onstage amp), and has these things? What kind of money should I expect to spend?

I have this and like it. I can't speak for other practice amps, but it fits all your requirements.

edit: Practice amps also have like zero resale value, so check craigslist for some serious deals.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 21, 2011

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

There's an OLP MM Stingray on sale at a local place that the dude offhandedly quoted at $100 when I asked about their bass selection. Can anybody think of a reason I shouldn't buy it?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Coworker finished building my fEARful 12/6/1. Trip report: thing sounds beautiful. Using a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and can crank it to 11 while still sounding clean. Time to wage war on my downstairs neighbor's dubstep parties.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

It's an Ibanez GSR200, so I think it has both jazz and precision pickups.

The jazz pickup doesn't have another single coil to cancel out the hum.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I messed with the knobs, it's the tone knob that's causing the buzz, no more buzz when I turn it down to 0.

That's because you're rolling off the buzz. The tone knob is a low pass filter.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Yeah, I don't know anything about electronics. Anyway, the buzz still persists whether the J or Precision is turned down to 0 if tone is on.

It's pretty simple. Pickups are transducers. It's a magnet with wires wrapped around it. The magnets give them their own magnetic field. When you pluck a string, the magnetic field gets hosed with by the vibration and generates an AC voltage with the frequency characteristics of the string. It then runs through the volume potentiometers (variable resistors) and the tone pot (a variable resistor with a capacitor on it aka a low pass filter) to the output jack. That signal then goes through your amp, where it gets jacked up and molded more in the preamp stage. After that, the polished signal goes to the power amp stage, which brings the signal up in amplitude even more and outputs it to the speaker, generating sound. Waves, bro.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

basscat.co.uk

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

post your bass face itt

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

https://vine.co/v/b2zXEBgXzrj

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

Play on the one, and don't fake the funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I got to put in some real time between a few different Fenders today at a guitar shoppe next to where I was getting my brakes changed out. We had an American Deluxe P, an American P, a Mexican Cabronitas/Tele P and a Mexican J, all running into a Portaflex. I also got to diddle around with a Kala U-Bass, which was fun.

Funnily enough the Mexican J still sounds the best to me. It might have had something to do with the Portaflex being old and having a hell of a time handling low end, but the J just had a more pleasing sound. However, the one I got the most play out of was that Cabronitas/Tele because it had a big rear end wide maple neck. The fat neck was supposed to be typical of the P-bass but it seem a lot less common now? I mean I'm fine with the playability of the slimmer neck but I'd really love to fit my J with a fat rear end maple neck.

I really like the look of the red Cabronita but there's nowhere nearby that has them. How did it feel/sound?

e: look at this loving bass

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 1, 2013

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

silverhawk79 posted:

What are some good effects pedals for bass? I've currently got a Sansamp Para Driver DI box and a Bass Big Muff Pi, but is there something else that's "essential"? I'm interested in a compression pedal too.

Get a chorus pedal for your post-punk wank sessions. Channel your inner talentless shithead and play like Peter Hook.

e: and i mean that in the nicest way possible (and i'm a talentless shithead so w/e)

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Macavity posted:

I bought a used copy of Bass Grooves and wouldn't you know it, the drat thing came without a CD. Anyone know where I can pick one up without having to buy a whole nother copy of the book? I'm really excited to use it, because my rhythm/groove could definitely use some work, and its hard to pick that up from just sheet music.

Do yourself a huge favor and get OfficeMax to spiral bind it for you.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Macavity posted:

That's a good idea. How does that work, anyway? Do they just chop off the binding and then poke holes in it or something?

Pretty much, yeah.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

aunt jemima posted:

The BA115 has been around a long time and for good reason. It's a great amp.

I also like some (not all) of the Acoustic combos that GC started making and selling a few years ago. They're cheap and worth checking out.

fake e: hi fellow goon bassists I don't know why I didn't look for the bassist thread years ago :iiam:

It took your post for me to realize that Ampeg named their amp BALLS.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

If you buy a standalone amp head you'll need a cab no matter what. Your amp will be rated at a certain power output for a certain load.

Example: 300W at 4Ω means you can hook up two 8Ω speakers and get 300W. Your speakers will be in parallel, so the resistance divides. Most amps will tell you their output based on load rating. Just make sure not to hook up more than your amp can handle. Like, if your amp isn't rated for a 2Ω load, don't give it one.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

organburner posted:

Since I can't afford to get the drums I want, I figured I might start learning to play bass in the meanwhile. My dad has an old bass guitar that needs some light repairs and I figured I'd get it to a shop to fix it and buy Rocksmith 2014
I have two questions for you, mighty bass thread:
1: How much does it cost to fix up an old guitar? Near as I can figure the electronics are hosed up because it doesn't output to a working amp, but other poo poo might be hosed up too. Dad claims the guitarr is some unique collectors item or something so it might be worth fixing up? I don't currently know the brand and model of it

2: How good is rocksmith at teaching bass anyway? I can't afford to get a teacher and kind of don't want to get one anyway (I do bad with teachers) and I'd be happy with only learning the basics.

Still need to ask if my dad is okay with this whole me borrowing the guitar thing (He doesn't even play bass), otherwise I'm just gonna save up for the drums and get the bass later on (Because drums are apparently not expensive enough for me)

1. Electronics are easy. Worst case is you might have to buy new pickups and knobs (which you can do for like $50 on eBay). I'd be more concerned about the neck. Strings will cost ~$20-$30, setup at a local music store will be like $20.

2. Buy a drum machine instead. I tried Rocksmith with bass and it's great provided your favorite genre of music is "guitar hero".

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 11, 2013

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

sup guys check out my bass collection

*posts a pic of 25 identical SX P-basses*

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Snak posted:

tl;dr: Does anyone have recommendations for a metronome, or does it not even matter?

Buy a drum machine.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

organburner posted:

My tiny amp I got with babbys first bass kit from Ibanez is dead, and this makes me sad.

Anyway, the strap I got with this thing is a piece of poo poo that keeps sliding off, so I'm looking for a new one so I can play while standing without fear of my bass smashing into the floor. Any suggestions?

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Like 90% of Peter Hook's sound was an EHX Chorus Theory pedal, so get one of those