Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

raej posted:

The wife and I just bought our first house, but we've noticed something odd about some of the light fixtures in the living rooms and bar area. The bulbs are all spotlight bulbs in cans pointing down, but they'll turn on/off periodically.

My first thought was maybe the cans were overheating causing a shutdown, but inspection in the attic has them clear of insulation.

The sensor in the recessed fixture responsible for shutting it off when it overheats might be defective. This can be replaced separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

An ordinary glass of water isn't conductive enough to cause enough of a short circuit to trip a breaker under normal conditions, but can easily carry the few mA needed to trip a GFCI. The GFCI could be anywhere in the house; lazy electricians (or wanna-be electricians) feed the damnedest things fed from the damnedest places. I'd start with the ones you know about (kitchen, bathroom, garage, exterior, etc) and then start searching from there.

At the risk of being obvious, it could be a GFCI or AFCI breaker, and even if it doesn't look tripped like a normal breaker does it might need to be reset.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

How do CFLs behave in dimmers?

Regular CFLs and regular dimmers behave horribly together. The bulb won't dim, it will just go from full-bright to off, and you're probably shortening the bulb life enormously. Modern dimmers aren't like old rheostats, they're actually semiconductor devices that switch the power to the lamp on and off repeatedly and rapidly to keep the filament at the desired brightness level, and that's not at all good for the electronic ballast in the CFL.

There are dimmable CFLs. They're more expensive than the regular ones. And even then, you need the right kind of dimmer, since the lamp uses so little power. And even then, you'll generally get an abrupt transition from ~20% brightness to 'off' or from 80% brightness to 'all the way on,' or you can get a lot of flicker at low brightness levels. Plus, as you dim an incandescent, the color spectrum shifts towards the red as the filament cools, dimmer a CF doesn't do that; the light gets dimmer but its color stays exactly the same.

So, basically: not very well even if you buy the right sort of CFL bulb and stick it in the right sort of dimmer. Plus, dimming an incandescent dramatically extends bulb life (at a tradeoff in efficiency, which is already not good, but you're still reducing electricity use), it doesn't do anything good for CF bulb life.

kid sinister posted:

The depends on the CFL and the dimmer. Regular CFLs on the old type pot dimmers work like regular fluorescents on a dimmer: poorly.

Note that old-type potentiometer dimmers are *very* old. I can't remember the last time I've seen one installed. Much less efficient and bulkier than triac dimmers, and they dissipate a *lot* of heat (Example: say you have a 100W bulb, 120V lamp. Hot filament resistance is ~140ohms, bulb's drawing about .85 amps. Now stick a rheostat in the way, set to 140 ohms. Now you've reduced the circuit amperage to about .42, circuit's consuming 50 watts of power, but only 25 watts is being dissipated by the lamp. The other 25 watts is being turned into heat by the rheostat. Far worse efficiency than even an incandescent bulb.)

taqueso posted:

e2: googling makes me think CFLs labelled "Fully Dimmable" should dim almost all the way to off. For example, this one seems to get good reviews

Even the good reviews say they dim to about 10 or 20% brightness and then go off. Or turn off if you adjust the brightness too quickly. Or flicker at low brightness.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 10, 2011

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

That's one advantage LEDs have over CFLs, insofar as you can dim them easily without sacrificing anything (and they actually use less power this way). You just use pulsewidth modulation to turn them off and on very quickly and since your brain can only process stuff at about 24 frames per second the faster they "blink" the more it looks like they're at full power and the slower they blink the more they look like they're dim, to a certain point where it then just looks like they are flickering.

Your brain can perceive things at way, way faster than 24Hz. 18fps can look smooth if it's motion-blurred, and 50Hz can look choppy if the images are very sharp. Modern projectors actually flicker at 48 or 72Hz, because the 24Hz flicker from the film pulldown would be very perceptible. Lots of people can detect regular old fluorescent bulbs flickering at 60Hz.

LED bulbs suffer from the same problems with dimming as CFL bulbs: you need a bulb designed to be dimmed, and you need a dimmer that matches up well with the bulb, otherwise you can get the same flickering, abrupt dim-to-off transitions, and damage to the bulb driver circuitry.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

that's not true, most modern dimmers are PWM

It can be thought of as a form of PWM, but it's not just narrower or wider pulses of constant voltage that a PWM switched power supply delivers. What the dimmer's doing is cutting off the output to the lamp when the AC voltage crosses the 0V reference, and then only restoring it once the voltage climbs again to a certain magnitude; this is called phase-cut dimming (technically forward phase-cut, there's also reverse phase-cut where the lamp gets energized during the increasing portion of each half-wave, but for incandescent bulb loads it doesn't matter). That's fine with an incandescent, because the filament's not going to have time to cool off appreciably during the periods when it's not receiving any current from the dimmer, but LEDs can change state much faster than that, so if that's all your dimmer's doing and your bulb isn't designed with that in mind, you can get flicker.

Not all LED bulbs are designed with this sort of dimmer in mind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solid Oak Acorn posted:

This is the third thread I've tried, does anyone have any recommendations for a metal to metal adhesive? I really like this pen.

(not soldering or welding)

EA9309.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I'll put it back when I move out, but it's ridiculous that it is uncovered on an exterior wall - and it gets tripped every time we have a solid rain.

But if that's why it's tripping, it's doing what it's supposed to. You're going to replace it with a regular receptacle that's going to still get wet every time it rains because it's uncovered on an exterior wall, and...it won't trip now even though it's clearly being shorted. That's probably not the best solution.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

The blocks are those wavy semidecorative types, so I couldn't even drill and screw it if I wanted to. Does outdoor-strength double-sided tape exist?

Putting plywood on either side of the window with foam in between and running some big lag bolts to hold them together is definitely a better idea, but yes, tape exists, it's called VHB tape. It's ridiculously strong: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Industrial/Adhesives/Product/Bonding-Tapes/VHB-Tape/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ThoiBoi posted:

My parents have had a outstanding issue with gophers at their house.

I can't testify about it personally, but the Rodenator has always looked loving awesome and I really think a goon with gopher trouble would be a trusted review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It's a common myth that you aren't allowed to pick/dig/whatever state flowers. There are probably rules about damaging any plants on state property like along roads and on private property that isn't yours without permission, but on your own private property you should be able to do whatever you want. See Wikipedia and Snopes.

Depends entirely on the state in question. It's a myth in regards to the two you posted; try doing that with a saguaro in Arizona, even if it's on your property, and you'll wind up in trouble with the law.

Check your local laws. Not Snopes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Also, that receptacle cover style isn't to-code anymore, because they're not weatherproof when a plug's inserted. if that's an outdoor receptacle you want one of these, or similar: http://www.amazon.com/MM510C-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Receptacle-Protector/dp/B001JEPX4Y

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I rent. Condo has electric heat with an old-as-gently caress mercury-switch thermostat. I came home yesterday and the place was 84 degrees; the heater is just running constantly and nothing I can do with the thermostat will shut it off, even just turning the switch to 'off' doesn't actually do anything. I have to flip the breaker to get the thing to turn off.

I'm assuming this is probably just the heater signalling that it needs a new thermostat, I've told the landlord and he's sending a guy over. Anything I can do in the meantime to correct this or verify it's just the thermostat?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I rent. I'm on the third (top) floor of my condo building. I've lived here about 6 years now, and just recently the water from the kitchen faucet started coming out aerated: it comes out cloudy, full of tiny little bubbles which dissipate from the glass in a minute or two and leave clear water.

I've lived in houses where this was standard. But this didn't use to be the case with my tapwater, does it indicate some sort of leak or other issue I should tell the landlord about?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Backov posted:

Have you looked on the faucet to see if there's now an aerator on it?

There's an aerator on it because I put it there after the old aerator rusted out and the faucet started spraying water instead of calmly dispensing it, but the aerator doesn't aerate water to *that* extent, it doesn't come out cloudy and then take a minute to clear. Or at least it didn't before a week ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I know what you're talking about, it's the sort of thing you'll see if you run the water really really hot and fill a clear glass with it, right?

Yes, but the water doesn't have to be really really hot for it to happen.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4M7AKxh_vg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Fuses pop when they dissipate too much heat (e.g. power). The power of a resistive circuit can be calculated using P = I2R. Note there's no voltage in that formula.

Resistive power is also V*I. P = I^2*R = V*I.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I bought a house. Inspection was fine, no significant issues. The seller put on a 30-year roof in 2007, water heater's 2010, HVAC is 2013, 200-amp electric service is just a few years old. First time I looked at it was the day after we had inches of rain, and the basement was dry as a bone. There's a french drain and a sump pump down there but the sump wasn't running, there was no water anywhere, and there were no signs of dampness or water getting in anywhere.

That said, it does have these planters up against the house:

So house was built in 1947. No sign of current moisture infiltration. But there probably was at some point in the past, because otherwise why put in a french drain and a sump pump? So bottom line: should I rip all these plants out so they're not holding moisture up against the foundation, or just leave well enough alone?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

In my basement, the previous homeowners had a vent cut into the AC duct. It's not a return, it's definitely a vent, and it seems like a waste of a lot of cfm just to keep the already-cool basement even cooler. Is there potential reason *not* to seal that vent up?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bought a house/moved in August. Since then, the basement sump pump's been working wonderfully. Until the other night. Bunch of snow on the ground from a previous storm, and it was rain/freezing/rain/sleeting. That night, the sump pump started water-hammering something fierce. It'd kick on, pump quietly for maybe 20 seconds, shut off, and *THUD*, the whole outflow pipe was shaking. Repeat 5 minutes later.

The next day, it was fine, quietly pumping away as per normal.

What would cause one night of water hammer? I'm guessing the outflow pipe was partly blocked by an ice plug, so when the pump shut off there was a lot more water in the pipe than usual. Or totally blocked, so the pump pumped until the pipe was full and then the whole mass was left to drain back inside?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

How would you go about hanging a picture frame in the bedroom of a 7-year-old child with ADHD in a fashion such that she can't knock it onto her head while flailing around?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

With Tesla selling home Li-Ion batteries, is the idea you charge at night with cheap electricity, and power your house in the day with the battery, thus lowering your cost, or does that not make sense?

It *sort* of makes sense.

http://rameznaam.com/2015/04/30/tesla-powerwall-battery-economics-almost-there/#UpdatedCost

quote:

Here are two (make that three) ways we can calculate the LCOE of the Tesla Powerwall.

1. Rule of Thumb: 1,000 Full Charge Cycles. This gives an LCOE of $0.35 / kwh. That compares to average grid electricity prices in the US of 12 cents / kwh, and peak California prices on a time-of-use plan of around 28 cents / kwh.

2. 10 Year Warranty + Daily Shallow Cycles. Tesla is offering a ten-year warranty on these batteries, which is bold. Yet evidence shows that Tesla automotive batteries are doing quite well, not losing capacity fast. Why? It’s because they’re rarely fully discharged. Most people drive well under half of the range of the battery per day. So let’s assume 10 years of daily use (3650 days, if we ignore leap days) and 50% depth of discharge on each day. Using the 7kwh battery, that gives us a price of around 23-24 cents / kwh.

3. UPDATE: 10 Years of 7kwh Cycles. Cheap Enough. I’m adding this after some twitter conversations with Robert Fransman. Let’s assume for a moment that the Tesla Battery actually can be used for full 7kwh charging and discharging every day during its 10 year warranty. That would make the cost around 12 cents / kwh.

[I had initially assumed that daily 7kwh cycling was impossible, despite the specs Tesla provided. No Li-ion battery today can handle 3650 discharges to 100% depth. But Robert Fransman has done the math on the weight of the battery vs. Tesla car batteries. He suggests that the 7kwh battery is actually a 12kwh battery under the hood. Discharging a battery to 60% 3650 times is still a stretch, but much closer to plausible. Tesla may here be just assuming they'll have to replace some on warranty before 10 years, but given that the price of batteries is plunging, future replacement is far less expensive. Smart.]

All three of these prices are the price to installers. It’s not counting the installer’s profit margin or their cost of labor or any equipment needed to connect it to the house. So realistically the costs will be higher. If we add 25% of so, the bottom price, the one backed by the warranty, is around 15 cents per kwh.

Tentative Conclusion: The battery is right on the verge of being cost effective to buy across most of the US for day/night arbitrage. And it’s even more valuable if outages come at a high economic cost.

In Sunny Countries: Bigger Impact, Drives Solar

Outside the continental US, the battery’s economics look far better, though. 43 US states currently have Net Metering laws that compensate solar homes for excess power created during the day. A good Net Metering plan is simply a better deal for most solar-equipped homes than buying a battery.

In some of the sunniest places in the world, though, retail electricity prices from the grid are substantially higher than the US, plenty of sunlight is available, and Net Metering either doesn’t exist or is being severely curtailed.

Here’s a map from BNEF of sunshine vs grid electricity rates. Countries above the 2015 line have cheaper solar electricity than grid electricity today. But a number of those countries, including Australia, Spain, Italy, Turkey, and Brazil have no or severely limited ability for solar home owners to sell extra power back to the grid. In those sunny, policy-light countries, Tesla’s batteries make economic sense today, and will help drive rooftop solar.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Found a Home Depot gift card in my trunk, I think it was a freebie thrown in by the dealer when I bought my car. Turns out to have $100 on it.

I'm reasonably well set for tools, etc. But figured this'd be an interesting question: What would you buy with it?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Sup

Super easy to use, just put the plug in squarely. It's in a bedroom and code says it should be tr.

What? Since when?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Why would your water slide involve pressures of 100psi? The incoming water pressure is not what your reservoir's going to be at, unless your reservoir is sealed and pressurized, and it can't be if it's accepting overflow from the slide.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

My waterslide doesn't, but my water intake does. The water pump itself handles around 1.5 bars, cause I need to pump the water high enough.

Right, but your water intake is dumping into a tank of water. Your household water pressure, in your pipes, is probably 50-70psi, but the water in your toilet tank sure isn't. If the vessel where the float valve is is at 100 psi, then how is the overflow from the slide making it in there? Do you have a second pump pumping that water back into the tank?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Your last tetanus shot was when?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Okay, this is a bit specific.

I have a Whirlpool fridge, model ET20TK. I've started getting puddles of water showing up on the shelves in the refrigerator compartment and under the bottom drawers. Some googling indicates this is fairly common, and that the drain line that leads down to the condensate pan under the unit is blocked by ice or a chunk of crud. Pull the condensate pan, yep, it's completely dry, nothing's draining into it.

My problem is that the manual is useless for telling me the location of this drain line, and a visual inspection of the inside of the unit shows nothing that looks like any kind of drain, there is nothing I can find in the entire refrigerator compartment that drains anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Per the guy at the hobby shop, I hooked it up to a single AA battery, whereby it slowly began to glow red hot, but didn't get hot enough to ignite the fuel. I then tried hooking it to a D cell battery, hoping the extra current would help, and while it did get red hot faster, it also failed to ignite the fuel.

A D cell isn't going to give you any more current than an AA, it's the same voltage. A D cell just has more energy stored in it.

quote:

Then, I though "why not increase the voltage, as well?" and hooked it to a 9V battery, and it instantly burned itself out. I'm pretty sure I can go higher current, and maybe slightly higher voltage than the D cell to get it hotter,

If 9V is too much, and 1.5V is too little, you could give 3V a try by sticking two batteries in series. Isobutane is just butane (there's no propane in there), and the autoignition temperature is 460C. Glow plugs for real grown-up diesel engines hit way hotter than that, but you're going to need a hefty power source to drive them, since they're expecting either a good several amps at 12 or 24 volts in order to hit 800C+ in about 20 seconds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

n.. posted:

This is just plain wrong. Current is not voltage, and a D-cell will absolutely provide more current than an AA.

Of course current isn't voltage. Cell voltage is dependent upon the battery chemistry, not upon the physical size of the cell. An alkaline AA battery is 1.5 volts, an alkaline D battery is 1.5 volts. Into the same resistance load, each battery will provide the same current.

Captain Cool posted:

D cells have lower internal resistance, so they can sustain higher power better than an AA.

Except for that, yeah, but the difference is miniscule. Checking Energizer's data sheets, both their Ds and their AAs have the same nominal internal resistance. The difference is that a D has 18000 mAh capacity and the AA has 3000. The D can sustain higher power for longer because it stores more energy, not because it's delivering a higher current or or has a lower internal resistance.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I have a section of yard covered in english ivy. I want to demolish the poo poo out of it. The thing is that it grows over/through the chain link fence separating my yard and the neighbor's yard. It's groundcover on a slope, so I don't want to kill their ivy.

Goats. Goats will go through that like mad but won't eat past the fence. Probably someone in your area willing to rent out a goat or two to take care of that. You can even check Amazon (really).

http://www.amazon.com/Hire-a-Goat-Grazer/dp/B00UBYDXXQ/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Yeah, you're using essentially a .22 blank to shoot a nail into concrete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_UuImPL4E

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The Dave posted:

What's the legal path of least resistance for getting a three prong there, assuming the box isn't grounded?

Get a GFCI receptacle. It will come with a little sticker that says "NO GROUND." Put that sticker on the receptacle. This will require a new faceplate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

My house is from 1947, with plaster and lathe walls. I have a section of wall in my kitchen, about 2' wide, that I'd like to install some mounts to hang pots and pans from. However, the only stud in that space is off-center in it, only about 6" from the corner. Absent some kind of wall hook that can be drilled into a stud but has a cantilever extending across the wall that I can hang a pan from, will molly bolts work? Would that support enough weight to use to hang pans? Just aluminum stuff, no cast iron or anything like that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

[list]
[*] retro-fit a regular light and globe into the fan, the globe just twists off, the LED connects with with a terminal, but I could just cut the terminal off and wire up to a regular light fitting, but it seems unsafe to modify the fan.
[*] install a couple of recessed can lights in the ceiling. I can just add them on the same switch as the fan, since the fan has a remote and I can just leave the fan light off. I have access to the ceiling so I can cut the wire to the fan, terminate it in a box and power the two lights from that. For those LED recessed lights on gimbals like this:

Or just put a dab of opaque epoxy over half of the LEDs. Maybe they'll overheat and fail but oh well you were going to replace it anyway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As it turns out gas and electric are pretty close in terms of efficiency (scroll down to the summary table). Gas is a bit more efficient if your electricity comes from burning fossil fuels (if your electricity is renewable, then electricity is significantly better than gas), but they're in the same ballpark. Electricity is easier to deploy -- no need to run gas lines -- but doesn't have the instant on/off that gas does (mostly only relevant for the stovetop).

I think the question is less about overall thermal efficiency than it is about cost-efficiency. For example, to heat your house in the winter with electric heaters is pretty much close to 100% efficient: every joule of electrical energy flowing into the heater is actually turning into heat in your house. But that's going to be way more expensive than gas heat, because the heat you get from burning gas is a lot cheaper than the heat you get by forcing electrons to heat up a resistor.

Average cost for 3.6 megajoules of electricity in my state is 13.6 cents. Average price for natural gas in my state is $1.14/100 cubic feet. 100 cubic feet = 100,000 BTUs = 105 megajoules, so 3.6 megajoules worth of natural gas costs about 4 cents. Both the electric tankless heater and the gas tankless heater are probably roughly as efficient in actually turning the energy input into hot water, but on the output side hot water from the electric system is going to be about 3x as expensive as hot water from the gas system. I think that's what he meant by efficiency.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Are you staying there's a federal law that doesn't allow you to cut down a tree with a bird in it?

Several Federal laws, depending on the species. Endangered Species Act and the Migratory Bird Act would be the two big ones.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

kid sinister posted:

What if they're little bastards and all they do is poo poo on my car?

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 4, 2017