Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
One of the upsides of comfortable middle age is that I've reached the age where when I'm contemplating buying some lovely version of something, I remind myself that I can buy "The last X I will ever need to buy" and that makes it much easier for me to drop more money on good things.

Then, someday, insh'allah, my grandkids can be cleaning out my garage and wondering why I have all that crap in there and it can end up in the big dumpster with the rest of my earthly possessions that nobody else wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

StormDrain posted:

I do that too! I smiled at the first paragraph and frowned at te second because I won't even have grandchildren to sift through it all.
If it makes you feel any better, my teenaged kids thus far have ZERO interest in ever having kids.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

honda whisperer posted:

Currently using a backyard buddy that I lucked into but is way overpriced at retail.
Looked into backyard buddy once upon a time since they're only about an hour away from me and was annoyed that they don't give you a price without calling them. They seemed to be way overbuilt with a "buy American, you traitor" vibe, so perfect for boomers with project cars, and I just assumed they would be $$$$.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

BigPaddy posted:

Also any company that plays the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” game and are not Ferrari can :frogout:
Anyone who says "call for pricing" just makes me assume they're not competitive on price and wants to fill my ears with a bunch of bullshit before they tell me what it will cost.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

nadmonk posted:

I've used the hammer drill function a couple times. For light duty stuff it seems to work ok, but if I had to do more than a little bit or through anything tougher than cinder block, renting or buying a dedicated heavy duty hammer drill would be the way to go.
I got an older version of this Milwaukee hammer drill at the ReStore. It comes out maybe twice a year to put holes in stone/brick/concrete or to mix a 5 gal bucket of something with a paddle, but it is 100% the tool for the job. I don't know that I've ever used the hammer feature on my battery hammer drill.

Side note: I tried to use it one handed one time and almost ripped my arm off when the bit got stuck for a second. It's a torque-y bastard.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

opengl128 posted:

I'm super happy with this one but good golly it has gotten expensive, it was closer to $300 when i got it https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...WC9V2/313615421

Wider version closer to your dimensions: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...9B12M/312145945
These are often Black Friday sale items for like 1/3 off. Who knows what the new normal will be, but if OP is in no hurry, could pay off to hold tight for 3 months.

Edit: I've had their second largest base and chest combo for 7 years and its a fantastic value. Fits all my crap, has ball bearing drawers, and still looks new.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 12, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

the spyder posted:

What in the christ do you need 4/0 for?

SpeedFreek posted:

He could need to extend a 120v 20a circuit 1500ft?
Or put in a 240v 50a circuit 200 feet away. Like say for a backyard hot tub.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Elem7 posted:

I think you mean 1600 feet, 4/0 is quite large, even 4 gauge can do 400 feet.
Lol, my brain comprehended the 4 and not the 0.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never had issues with ones from harbor freight.
I have. The batch i got were brittle and lovely.

The assortment in the cannister from the electrical aisle in Home Depot are great.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Personal experience is I break it out maybe 4 times a year, but when I do it's EXACTLY the tool that I need.

Mostly for cutting off nails behind trim, plunge cuts in drywall, and removing adhesives, which they 110% excel at.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
One of my dogs likes to eat used foamies too. Makes the poops easier to spot on the lawn.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Catatron Prime posted:

Just looking at amazon, sub fifty bucks, I'd probably get this Klein 420
Have this very one and can confirm it is swell for a casual user looking for continuity and good 'nuff voltage readings. Only caveat is that I upgraded from a late 80s radio shack needle multimeter, so things like "beeps when there is continuity" are novel and magical to me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

fatman1683 posted:

I enrolled in a vo-tech program at a local community college for funsies, and it turns out they're hooked into the student discount programs offered by the tool truck companies, which offer some pretty steep discounts on expensive equipment.
Why does this feel like a drug dealer from an 80s after school special hanging around outside the local high school?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

nadmonk posted:

You know what's far cheaper than a used metal break? A brand new 52" stacked rolling tool chest from Home Depot. Those even come with a warranty.
Not that I roll it around much, but I've had a 52" husky (the older version of this one) for almost a decade and it still looks and works like new.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

StormDrain posted:

Spending 30000 hours of your free time to save $10,000 on a $15,000 tool!

Spending 30000 hours of your free time to save $10,000 on a $15,000 box to store $5,000 worth of tools!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Suburban Dad posted:

This is similar to what I have and I'm pretty happy with it. It was about $800 when I bought it a few years back and there was nothing in that size that was as nice that I could find.
Yeah, I think I got it for $600-ish as a black friday doorbuster.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

always be closing posted:

That seems like legitimately the most useful method, ive never looked into getting one myself despite living in the land of rust.
Conversely, I keep looking at them and blanch at the price.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

WTFBEES posted:

I bought a huge (by my standards) toolbox today and am now posting about it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...8BB1S/313765821

I am very excited for it to show up. Less excited about loading and unloading it. Also I have nowhere near enough tools to fill all this space.
Only one way to solve that...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Uthor posted:

When I brought a Ryobi impact drill to Home Depot after using it once, they tagged it, mailed it off, and told me I'd have to pay for it if they found it being broke because of something I did, then had to wait a couple of weeks to get a new one mailed back.
Yeah, I had to exchange a dead Ryobi battery and was expecting "walk it to the counter and walk away with a new one" like Craftsman of yore, but ended up having to fill out forms online and get a new one mailed to me. Luckily I ordered it online and had the receipt in my email or it would have been more of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
A Menards opened about 30 min away from me just before the pandemic. Went a few times and was pretty unimpressed with most of it, but their lumber seemed to be much higher quality than the poo poo that HD sells.

The true Midwestern gem is Meijer, anyway.