Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Going through a whole pile of wrenches and sockets that have been sitting in a sea can for ~10 years, the craftsman ones are consistently rusted to poo poo while the westward, jet, and no-name chinese poo poo are mostly ok. From here on out, i think i'm avoiding craftsman like the plague.

Unfortunately, most of the bigger wrenches are craftsman, so I'm soaking them in evaporust rather than just tossing them.

I have a couple wrenches/sockets to go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

Why? Just bring them back to Sears and get new ones.

I used to go through garage sales and flea markets for Craftsman tools (years ago....it seems enough people have caught on to this by now) and by rusty rear end garbage for pennies, and get brand new tools back from the store.

There are things I don't want to buy Craftsman - things like cheeseheads and other drivers or sockets that tend to break or bend and cause me all manner of pain when the fastener gets munged up. But for basic hand tools, they work just fine and are easily replaced for free.

I tried, they said "they're not broken, they're just ugly". They did replace 2 ratches with completely jammed mechanisms, but said they wouldn't do anything about the wrenches.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suniikaa posted:

Why not just set up a electrolysis rig and have them looking brand new overnight?

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I might have to do that, i found some big box-ends that likely won't be helped by the chemical

2 1/8th to 2 3/4. These make me want to over-build something to an insane degree.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bolind posted:

I've looked quite a bit into the Pelican 0450, and while it's cool as gently caress, there's a few things to consider. It's fairly expensive, and the neat foam inserts are custom cut, so you'll need to get that done somewhere. Also, by design you tilt it 90 degrees when you transport it, so you need to make sure the contents can handle that.

You can, however, get cases in all sorts of sizes from Pelican, so if you can do some sort of custom insert...

Also, PowerShift, that's some bigass wrenches. Is the other end supposed to be hit by a hammer, or do you fix a huge extension on to it?

They're apparently offset "striking" or "slugging" wrenches, so i would assume you hit them with a hammer. The 2 3/8s wrench is for bolts with a 1-3/4" shaft. Bigass bolts.

edit: guy above me answered too, drat i sat at the post screen for a while.
edit2:

quote:

They are also expensive.

Holy poo poo, almost 2 grand in wrenches there. I should get a bigass chain and bolt somebody's car to a light pole

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 22, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let's do this!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Breaking a powerfist™ breaker bar? I don't believe this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

$20 sockets. From canadian tire on the left and princess auto on the right. What the poo poo.

Canadians will feel me on this one.

Also, my torque is multipying! :supaburn:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went in expecting to pay $150 for a 2 ton aluminum jack, ended up walking out with this fat bastard for 60 bucks. Combo 2 ton jack/motorcycle lift with a locking bar so it can function as a jackstand. I feel a lot more confident with center lifts now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's called the powerbuilt triple lift. They're $130 everywhere online, but canadian tire has them on clearance for $60.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was either in this thread or the other Tool thread in DIY but recently toolboxes came up and the consensus is that Craftsman toolboxes really aren't worth the money anymore. I have one that my mom got me as a gift a few years back (because she still equates Craftsman as quality, even though the modern stuff is a sad impersonation of the Craftsman tools her father bought 40+ years ago) and it doesn't hold a candle to the no-name box I got from Costco last year for about $300.

drat you Motronic!

The problem is that the quality is all over the place. They seem to farm production out to different factories, and they vary wildly model to model. There are a few out there that are good, a few that are utter poo poo. They look identical and are the same models, but the thickness of steel and quality of rollers are entirely different.

In other tool news. I went into canadian tire to buy a battery charger.

Do you see a battery charger anywhere here? :negative:

For the canadians in the house. This was all under $300, including the sawhorses under it. 2 ton folding crane, 1500lb leveler, 1000lb engine stand, all on sale 40-55% off this week at canadian tire.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Yes, but you should really be tightening them on with a torque wrench. If you just mean to get them off, carry on!

I think he means removing them, and no, 210ft/lbs isn't enough.

I have a corded "digital" 1/2 inch impact that can only be turned up to 250 ft/lbs, and it strugges to remove some lugnuts.

I would only consider a cordless impact if you had a breaker bar to go along side with it. I've never used a cordless impact that was any more useful than a drill with a 3/8"s socket adapter in it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought one of these for $25 on sale at princess auto a while ago

They're color coded, so you can prove when somebody has stolen one of your bits.

All my other loose ones i just keep in the drawer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It took the better part of a day to find the 5 point security torx bit to swap out the maf on my 540. One set in one store had it. Seriously, gently caress that wacky poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

Oh god, that bloody bit.

I couldn't find one in any shop or online store. I eventually got lucky with some guy selling a used one on eBay.

Most places weren't even aware that it existed.

I've got it in my toolbox and it will probably stay there, unused, until I die.

What surprised me is acklands, and greggs and all the big name industrial places had nothing.

But good ol' princess auto....

5 point security bit, and 12 point torx, all in one kit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

warcake posted:

Just upgraded to a larger toolbox for work, second hand but in really good condition.

Why do i get the feeling this cost more than my car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

Anyone have any experience with husky toolboxes? The 46" one that's 299 on the site is 240 at my local HD which is about 100 less than the comparable harbor freight one and has that wood top that I could mount a small vise to.

They're just chinese crap with a logo slapped on them. They've had a similar looking one for sale at my local home depot for $200. I bought one last year and it was pretty decent. I went back a few months ago to get another one, and it looked similar but felt way cheaper.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I blew apart my 16" swivel head ratchet workin on the forklift. took it to exchange it on warranty, and all they had to give me was a 22" one.

Fuckin bonus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With some employees. you could carve mastercraft into a block of cheese and they'd exchange it for a new hammer.

Unfortunately, this is because sometimes that's really what the hammers they sell are.

I keep telling myself not to trust them, but oooh, 6 piece pliar set for $16, and a $24 angle grinder, and a $32 6 amp hammer drill. and oh god damnit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"airplane remover" is usually the go-to chemical.

If you want to try something a little more gentle, i was able to remove spray-paint from my plastic engine cover without disturbing the original paint too much with this stuff

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dominion-sure-seal-paint-stripper-0475684p.html#.U7DYNrEi1cE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a forklift but it doesn't fit into the garage :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can't spend 200 bucks on a breaker bar and just throw it in a bag.

Get a pool cue case!

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-C4...5325465&sr=1-12

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just make sure you get a self igniting one. I have one that's not and it's a pain in the rear end because when you're under a vehicle and tilt it, the flame goes out and you're scrambling for a lighter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just get a small cut-off wheel for a dremmel. attack it from the bottom, but just weaken it to the point where you can bend it rather than cutting it right off.

edit: Also, hold the dremmel in a fashion so if it catches and jumps, it jumps away from the mirror.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum leak tester (for car work, the smoke machine kind), or steer me away from garbage? :v:

My budget is Kobalt/Husky/Craftsman money, not Snap-On money.

Depending on what i'm drinking, i either go with a cuban montecristo, or a gurkha titan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, how round do you like your bolt heads?

If your answer is "perfectly", i'd say go for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Counterpoint: Cheap tools at the going out of business sale.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sears owns k-mart. If When sears dies next year, k-mart probably will too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Negative ghostrider, Kmart bought Sears. They made a huge mess of poo poo, but Kmart bought Sears for the Craftsman and Kenmore brand-names, and for Sears' Hoffman Estate HQ.

How much of a gently caress up do you have to be to be bought out by Kmart?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart

The "sears" that's bleeding to death is "sears holding corp" of which k-mart and sears retail stores are subsidiaries. K-mart buying sears is how it happened, but sears holding corp, which owns k-mart, is what is failing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brought an old bench grinder back to life. And put a brass wire wheel on it. It takes 3 seconds to spin up and like 5 minutes to spin down after you shut it off.

Before

During

after

So loving satisfying. Taking something old and ugly and crusty and making it brand new. And I have 5 pails of fittings to go.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Picked up the $170 husky toolbox deal at Home Depot this morning. Not bad at all, haven't started filling it yet but the drawers feel good and they come pre-lined with neoprene stuff. All three keys are different, which is annoying.

The worst part was making it fit in the wagon after having a few other boxes in the back seats.

I bought a husky toolbox for $200 a while back, and loved it. It was solid, drawer slides were smooth with weight in it, it was awesome. The top box fell over with 200+lbs of tools in it, and it's fine.

I went back to get another one, same box, same UPC, same product number, and it was a completely different toolbox, just a flimsy piece of poo poo. It's like they shop out production to whatever factory in china for each run, sometimes it comes back good, sometimes hell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

they're pretty decent, but the only big sets that seem to go on sale here are the loving black ones.

gently caress black tools. Give me fluorescent orange you shits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viggen posted:

Plastidip.. or radium. Just don't use either on your forum. :v:

plastidip would be a pain in the rear end for sockets.

Maybe each set should just include 5 10mm so you still have one or two left once the car starts eating them.

edit: There we go

insulated socket set. And at only $453, it's cheaper than snap-on!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 5, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Haha yeah I was just organizing my wrenches into a tool rolls from Harbor Freight and was wondering why the hell I have 4 10mm wrenches. drat things are used everywhere.

just about everything on the mack is either 10mm or 13mm, except for the stuff built to other standards like the oil lines and air lines and battery posts and stuff.

Motherfucker. Even china ain't playin. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SA-FACOM-J-401AVSE-insulated-socket-wrench-tool-set-8-19mm-17-electrical-tools/2052532969.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

See, i want a set like this that's entire red or gold. Something that would stand out 3 feet inside a dark engine bay. chrome just reflects what's around it and blends in. Black disappears into the same place socks go when you put them in the dryer.

powder coated like torque extensions rather than anodized would be nice, too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boneitis posted:

Those sound like really made up names for tools. I'm watching you, Tommychu

They're legit. my last 2 tools were under $50 too, a blinker fluid hydrometer and a muffler bearing puller.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like a decent set too. A lot of the "300 piece" sets they put on clearance here ends up being like 30 sockets and 250 screwdriver bits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looking at the direction squeezing pulls, i would guess it's some sort of old vacuum pump

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A quick shot with a punch in each corner should flare the top enough for them to slide together. Might need a good strong knock on the top box to seat them. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer and try again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Jebus posted:

And when it dies the tree truck guy will bring you a new one!

Until 2016 when it is replaced by 72" ficus tree, model number PTF72B in the catalogue and the old model is no longer warrantied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Found this wrench on the road a couple years ago, it had obviously been there a while and was seized solid.

About a year of sitting forgotten at the back of the shelf in ATF got the mechanism moving enough to work it out with a hammer, but it was still hella ugly. hit it with a brass cup and a little bit of acid and got it clean. It was missing a lot of chrome, so was bound to rust again, so i hit it with some self-etch and the brightest paint i had.

Free tools are the best tools. Especially free hunnert dollar tools.