Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know the discussion was four months and like ten pages ago, but on the topic of Max Jacks and other scissor style lift systems, I have a bit of a conundrum: I have the second largest car Ford ever made in a 1977 Lincoln Mark V and also one of the smallest they made for the US market in a 2019 Fiesta ST. Is there any kind of home jack/lift system short of two or four post that can accommodate such drastically different vehicles?

Here’s some stats that I’m working with.
Lincoln
  • Curb Weight - 4960 lb
  • Wheelbase - 120.4”
  • Bumper jackpoints and body-on-frame

Fiesta
  • Curb Weight - 2743 lb
  • Wheelbase - 98”
  • Distance between jack points - ~53”

I’ve also got a Saturn Vue and a 14 Cherokee, which are just in the middle somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ryanrs posted:

Put 1 Fiesta jack under each axle of the Lincoln.

Get four fiestas, put one at each wheel point and use them as dollies, got it :hmmyes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Who’s the crazy hoopty/full sized car person(s) in AI beside me and you wesleywillis?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

IOwnCalculus posted:

MaxJax aren't scissor-style lifts, they're detached mid-lift two post lifts. Since you define your own post spacing / placement when you install them, I'm sure you could either find a single placement that works for both vehicles, or install another set of anchors and move the MaxJax from one set to the other when needed.

Yeah, I misspoke and meant to say QuickJacks.

I have seen folks use them perpendicular to the frame, and that seems like the best practical option, because it’s a solid 8 feet from wheel well to wheel well. That way I can put them as far apart as needed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d have a better chance fitting a two post lift in the garage than the car itself.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TrueChaos posted:

FWIW, the 5000 and 7000 have the same range of lifting point spans. The difference is the 5000 is lower in it's collapsed form by like 1/2". If you don't need more than 5000lbs the additional few inches of lift is a benefit.

The Mark V is 4960 lbs, and while it’s rated for that extra 40 pounds, I don’t think I could trust it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

https://www.grainger.com/product/DEWALT-Impact-Wrench-1-2-in-Square-39EL88?opr=ILOF

Dewalt impact, for like $123 with battery and charger. Insane deal.

e: poo poo it’s the brushless 1/2” drive. Serious poo poo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m also a Milwaukee man, so I never considered it, just passed it along.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

From specs. They cut weight between generations though, despite making it longer.

E: p sure it’s even in their sales brochure, but I’d have to dig that poo poo out, and it’s buried in boxes right now.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well it’s got a 460 in it, and a few extra feet of steel roof, plus all the luxury and convenience 1977 had to offer: power seats, power windows, motorized antenna, insanely overassisted power steering

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anyone have opinions on wheel dollies? Something like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-self-loading-positioning-wheel-dolly-64601.html

There are a lot of brands of varying price out there and any input is welcome

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got an exterior garage large enough for two garage doors but it only has one, so parking two vehicles in it means I need to get creative, hence the question about dollies. I’ve looked at the plate-style caster dollies, but having to jack the car up to use them kind of makes it a no-go. With the self loading style I can move a car then drop it back onto its tires and use the dollies on something else if I need to

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I have a set of generic Go Jacks and they make shuffling cars around super convenient for that reason, especially on vehicles that don't have good jacking points. I have to be careful moving my Mini around or else it gets too much momentum.

All of those cheap car dollies have garbage casters. They need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed at a minimum. I had to get new wheels for one set because all the axle holes were drilled off center.

What’s the brand of your cheap go jacks?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I made a decision a few years back that I was only going to have one battery family ever. I went Milwaukee (only other real contender was Dewalt) and I couldn’t have been happier. Just got the Quick-Lock pole tools (hedge clipper, edger, weed whacker and pole saw) and god drat the pole saw is amazing. I already had the chainsaw which I love, but the pole saw is even better.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s tough to keep track of these things goddamit

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wtf is that, a ham?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Everybody keeps saying zerks and all I think about is animorphs

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I need to buy my mom one of those. Post if there’s any decent deals beyond the BOGO above; we’ve already got chargers at our houses.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m over here cranking my 3/8 inch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

eddiewalker posted:

I hate that I needa 3500lb quickjack for small cars, and a 5000lb set for regular cars that won’t fit between the small car wheels.

What kind of gloves should I be wearing for carb cleaner? Even my thickest nitriles give me that ice cold “solvent leaking into my bones” feeling.

It’s acetone evaporating. It’s going to feel cold no matter what gloves you wear. That said, butyl rubber or PVA gloves should offer much more protection than nitrile.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Powershift posted:

I bought an old POWEREFIST chop saw at auction because it was cheap and it was very loud.

I took it apart and it looks like there was only enough grease in it to keep it quiet the first few times you use it. i cleaned it out and greased it up, but the gear is pretty heavily worn, so it's a "run it till it don't" situation. It's really only loud on rundown now. I might drill and tap a zerk into it.

Those teeth have about a millions years of life in em. As long as the drive gear has a ZERK and doesn’t fail you’ll be good.

i honestly just love the word “zerk” more than anything else. It might be my last dying word

e: my love of ZERK might have given you bad advice, but it’s probably your fault for tempting me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

slidebite posted:

Question:

Does anyone here that needs a cert of calibration NOT need to get it re-certified every year or two?

Realistically you should be getting it re-cert/recalibrated every time you drop it too. I doubt anyone’s doing that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It really comes down to whatever accreditation spec you’re trying to hit. Some ISO stuff has tighter or looser intervals, depending on spec. If you’re not re-calibrating at a certain interval, or at least doing a verification, why spend the money to get a wrench with a cert?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How did I ever work on cars without an M18 Impact Wrench? This thing is like magic, and if you don’t have one, you desperately need one.

We pulled the rear knuckle to change a CV and a bearing on my buddy’s Saab 9-3 XWD and we only needed to use a breaker bar where the torque wrench wouldn’t fit. This sucker spun off the axle nut like nobody’s business.

The only downside is the size/weight of the thing. It’s a little too long to fit in a lot of tight places, so I guess that means I need to pick up one of the stubby guys to supplement. The weight though! 6 pounds without a battery. Gotta do some curls with this thing.

Anyway, thank you Mr Milwaukee for making this magical tool.

That’s a ford fiesta for scale

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 12, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We only turned one trailing arm bolt into dust, but it absolutely vaporized it. I’ve never seen a snapped bolt so twisted in my life.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m over here pulling back the foreskin on my big ol m18 like a fool

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

eddiewalker posted:

You better have the volume up on that TV.

Wtf, we got a guy who can Heidi-Bowl on request?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Commodore_64 posted:

Posting on the 666 page to shill the Astro style shrimpers Kastein was plugging. Check out this Amazon listing with dies: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV3FHKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can get dies for FLAG TERMINALS!
I have some of the universal Hozan style linked by Sgt Fox and basically never use them as I've just gotten specialty dies for my Astro for just about everything.
I am kinda disappointment with the quality of the die surfaces (they are 100% servicable) compared to the Iwiss (icrimp)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV3FHKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have EDM die cavities, super smooth and with really good alignment. Very good for small terminals.

Commodore_64 posted:

Posting on the 666 page to shill the Astro style shrimpers Kastein was plugging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/czsyv5/my_youngman_gets_shrimpy_during_sex_is_this_normal/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody got experience with water pumps? I’ve got a backyard pond I wanna flood to surface it for skating, and it’s far enough away from the house that I can’t use a hose. I’ve got a big rear end generator, so if I need to, I could run electric to something.

Otherwise, has anybody done this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s a half acre pond. The water would be coming from under the surface

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You think a 2” harbor freight trash pump would do the job?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

slidebite posted:

If you don't want to buy one, those things are very commonly available for rentals.

But a trash pump is handy for emergency dewatering if you live in a flood area.

It looks like (via cursory google) that it’s $78/day for a 2” pump, vs $240 for outright buying one. Assuming I’d still need my own hoses, if I flood the ice three times in my life it would make more sense to buy one.

Good call on that though, I may end up renting one first to find out how much of a PITA it is to flood the surface.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have experience with ice augers? Preferences? I’m looking to drill one hole at a time, maybe four or so times total over a season, so I’m really leaning toward hand augers. I doubt I’d ever get going through more than a foot of ice at a time, and I’d only need a 6” hole.

The other option is an auger bit that can attach to a hand drill.

Anyway, tell me about your experience with augers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drat, screw compressor? Talk about the good life.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is it a mini split setup? Could you run heat off it?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MRC48B posted:

No. Its self contained, its the white box on the bench in the pic.

And the heat it puts out is minimal, compared to the compressor itself.

Wait, you’re telling me that this

Isn’t already a mini split?

I was so confused.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well after reading back, it appears OP was talking about an air conditioner in the way that you meant it: as something that conditions the air for the compressor. I just saw a pic and went wild. Apologies thread, I was in the wrong.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds like you want a dozer with a ripper tooth as a rental, then an excavator for all the cleanup stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Amazon has become far less reliable than Aliexpress now. At least the knockoffs say they’re knockoffs on Ali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Just use a 2 prong adapter?

This is the real answer. A lot of the adapters also have a tab where you could run a wire to ground should you want/need to, but I personally wouldn't put the effort in. I am no electron rancher, though, so grain of salt.