Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

100% Dundee posted:

Pro-tip for anyone looking at some Milwaukee cordless stuff, I've been looking for a sale on the M12 Hex driver tool and Home Depot just put up their fathers day sales about a week ago. $99 for a Two tool bundle online only*(M12 Drill, M12 Hex Driver, two standard M12 Batteries, one XC6.0 extended battery, charger, carrying bag). Thing is the bundle with the extra XC6.0 battery quickly went out of stock online but some smart fellows on the coupon websites decided to just go into the store and try buying the bundle with the extra battery, sure enough it works perfectly. When you ring it up at the register you get the two tool bundle for $99, then the extra battery for $89.99 then it immediately deducts the $89.99 from the total so total it ended up being $104.95 for me. I'm planning on trying to pawn off the extra charger(since I already have one), M12 Drill(since I already have an M18 drill) and maybe one of the batteries on craigslist or something for like $50-60 bucks and hopefully end up with the M12 hex driver I wanted, one standard battery, one extended battery and the carrying bag for $40-50.

*Turns out it's not online only. It will not be advertised in the store, but it works. Just grab the bundle and the battery, go to checkout!

Is this basically the deal that we are looking for:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551942&postcount=747

If so, nice and will jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, a 200 ft/lb impact drill when hanging drywall or driving deck screws would be interesting. It would probably drive it into the Earth's mantle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Uthor posted:

I should have said, I was at HF to get a plumb bob (the sockets and screwdriver were an impulse buy). Somehow, they managed to mess it up. They drilled the hole for the string diagonally from the center top through to the side. No matter how you route and tie the string, it will be slightly off from the center of mass and hang at a very slight angle. If you drill a hole straight through the side (assuming it's in line with the centerline), you could get it to hang straight and it would probably cost less to manufacture.

Leave it to HF to screw up a simple weight/plumb bob that defies gravity.

Steps for shopping at HF:

1) Clip 20% coupon and any other freebie coupons. Think of it like the lottery, you might find another flashlight.
2) Hold breath before walking indoors to avoid decaying chemical/rubber smell.
3) Spend a few bucks more to get the Pittsburgh Pro stuff if you need hand tools.
4) Anything electric, you are on your own.
5) Be nice to cashier and they will bend over backwards to help you shove through any coupon.
6) Don't expect much.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

coathat posted:

None of those tools interest me in the slightest so if it actually is cheap.

I think his point was for a few bucks more you get a tool that has a 3 year warranty and has a well defined battery class along with a shitload of other tools you might need a use for in the future and build off on.

With the HF you get a 90 day warranty and their battery situation is in a mess with their different lines. Seems to be no convergence at this time but as they move upscale they will cause a disruption.

Now back to the ratchet. Looks like a good one and should be a monster...the infamous AC Delco knock-off.

So in short:

Pro's:

1) Supposedly should outperform most other ratchets based on performance.
2) Batteries are much cheaper.

Con's:
1) Probably will be hung out to dry once HF figures out and standardizes the battery strategy.
2) Probably need to tack on the $20 instant replacement fee that brings it closer to the name brands cost for piece of mind. (Granted, need to take in battery cost which is a pro)

tl;dr If you are shooting to use one tool with not much future need for others it will probably serve your needs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Some parents get teary eyed when they send their kids away to college.

Clipped out a 20% coupon off and a free flashlight and sent my son off alone into the bowels of Harbor Freight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

eddiewalker posted:

Personally, I'd start with the 1" drive because it doubles as home defense.

That socket would be useful to "snug" on the oil cap for the next owner.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Uthor posted:

Thanks to all the 1/4" ratchet chat, I picked up a new one from HF. drat you, thread.

(I bought it to stash at my desk at work, but it's nicer than my Craftsman, so I'm keeping it here and leaving the Craftsman at work.)

It would be harder to engineer a worse ratchet than the Craftsman raised panel 36 tooth one versus to just make a better one.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Every time ratchets come up I have to stop myself from dropping $100 on new ratchets when I use literally just one (Gearwrench 120xp flex, 1/2", long handle) and the M12 electric ratchet.

Sure would be nice to have a small format 1/2" though....

Yeah definitely a personal preference. Some like knurled handles and some don't, some like quick release...some dont, etc.

Edit: As for small format 1/2" if Koken doesn't make one, then no one would. Hell they probably have a 1/2" drive shorty with a 2" handle just because.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anyone have a recommendation on a spark plug gap/sizing tool?

Had some 30 year old thing that was well somewhat adequate but got lost. Now gapping some plugs, using the el-cheapo ring tool and verifying with feeler gauges and surprising it is fairly accurate.

But would like something a tad better.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 7, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sad to say after 25 years or so of DIY'er repairs on cars today was the first time I busted out a crows foot wrench. Cripes, what a god send.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I'm kind of the "rather have a tool and not need them" type person. I bought the set from HF a few months ago for like $8 or whatever.

Replacing a pressure sender, and well look at this, I get to use it. Woohoo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fo3 posted:

I've never needed one. Did you all need them for the angle, or for the open end (Or both)?
Closest I've come to needing one I used a flexi head ratchet spanner.

This was what I was working with:

http://www.f150hub.com/maintenance/brake-pressure-sensor.html

But a crap load more stuff in the way. Looks like he ripped out the air filter assembly and other things with the pics to get to it. To remove that sender is a 9/16" under the circular part.

Could a super shorty wrench/spanner done it? Maybe...but there are brake lines right next to it as well.

Also could have turned if off with my channel locks. But the crows foot was like a minute. Have to laugh, the pro's are probably thinking "dumbass" as I buttfumble with simple repairs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That's cool. How's oil/fluid resistance?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the other gotcha with clicky wrenches is to not store them wound up in a heavily loaded state OR unwound and with no load. Like for the HF 1/2" wrench that goes from 20-200 ft. lbs or so I keep it stored at 30-40 ft. lbs. If you store it at high load like 100 ft. lbs. it will deform the spring over time, and apparently if you store it with no load components can shift around and it loses accuracy. I wouldn't worry or lose sleep over it though if you've stored it like that in the past--very likely the stuff you're using it for, like lug nuts, etc., don't really need ultra precise torque. Tightening head bolts into an aluminum block.. ok maybe time to pull out the spendy torque wrench that matters and treat it with kid gloves.

Darn good advice.

I view torque wrenches not so much as super ultimate accurate tools (Obviously you wouldn't want one that was +/- 20% or whatever) but for their consistency. Set your wrench to 100 ft/lbs and it is off 5%? Not the end of the world to have something torqued to 105, and all the other bolts should be close to 105.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

monsterzero posted:

Yep. I use them for things that need to be flat, things that I really don't want to strip out, or to fall off. My oldest wrench is about 15 years old (Husky 3/8" clicker). I wonder how far off spec it is...

Yeah, never really thought much about it since I don't do super precision work. I have one that does inch pounds but haven't used it in forever.

Car Craft ran a comparison of the HF several years back. Found it fairly accurate. Of course take it with a grain of salt because who knows how many suppliers they've blown through in the meantime so YMMV.

But yeah, doing a TTY fastener on a $5K block, you bet your sweet bippy I'd spring for that Snap-On supercomputer torque wrench.

Speaking of HF, got a few coupons clipped. Got to pick up some random crap, getting ready for the rubber smell buzz walking in the door.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

And I think Matco basically came out with a device that turns every ratchet into a precision torque wrench. Cool device.

But the funny thing is, try fitting some of these things into places you can't (yeah yeah, get the joke) too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Should I get the accessory kit with all of the extra probes and poo poo?

The age-old question. Better to have it than to be without (within reason.) If an incremental cost that doesn't affect your food or rent or a six pack of beer...eh, that's sorta my point of view.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

this is the only tool i found cool enough to buy at SEMA when i went a few years ago, still havent needed to use it yet

In two decades you will find a reason to use it. Then you'll spend 3 hours trying to find it. Then 5 months will pass and you'll clean your garage and there it will it be. Right there were you left it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

My god, now that is a tool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sharkytm posted:

Check the free multimeter against a 9V battery before you leave. I've got one that reads 10.5v on a 9v source, which kinda fucks up automotive usage.

Assuming you can trust the HF battery to be 9V :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sharkytm posted:

BYO, obviously.

BYOB

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Question for you guys, I need to replace the wheel bearings in my Maxima. I've already bought the replacement hubs and bearings, but I'm going to need a shop press to separate and install the bearings in the hub.

I'm tempted to just buy a 20 ton press from horror fraught, but I don't want to dedicate that kind of floor space to one, especially since I'm not sure how often I would actually use it. Would a 6 ton benchtop press work? Or is this something I'm better off just finding a local shop to do?

I never thought I'd be in a situation where I'm questioning the necessity of a new tool, but here we are :ohdear:

Real trick is finding a shop that will give you the time of day to do it (at least in these parts.) If you have that number, and you find it good...roll with it.

Otherwise, don't dink around with the 6 ton press. And given the job you are looking at, factor in separating plates and other cobbled together stuff which adds to the cost.

Not trying to dissuade you, but you mentioned floor space which is an important factor. And like a couple posts up, a press is awesome to have. But if a shop can knock it out cheap I would go that route.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah going to third "if you have the room toss a 6pt socket on it".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Chrome flakes and will rattle off.

Aerospace also requires to have every tool accounted for in foam cutouts. It's a good thing.

Want expensive stuff, work on an MRI machine.

Edit: don't ever use a chrome socket on an impact. They will shatter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Unless you’ve only got that size in chrome and it’s the end of the day or like a weird size you can’t get locally and take your chances, right?

Yeah, and they are next to the oily rags sitting next to a kerosene heater.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

Sat next to a member of the Black and Decker/Stanley executive team on a flight yesterday. Super nice guy and we started talking about the industry, painful demise (and outright death in Canada) of Sears, craftsman, etc. I asked him about the future of Craftsman since they bought that division. He was pretty candid and told me that the plan is looking increasingly likely that Craftsman will become a house brand for Lowes. They still have to make it for Sears until it is :rip: but I thought that was kind of interesting.

I've heard that Lowe's rumor. Did he talk about their USA plant they are building?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Save up and go for the 44".

Buy once, cry once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Speaking of batteries...are the major lines (Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee) staying pretty much the same for quite a while?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Sears torx bits (and I'll assume the hex) are absolute garbage based on the last I got a year ago if that makes your decision easier.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

bolind posted:

Edit: I now also seem to have amassed a short Bondhus, imperial Bondhus, torx Bondhus, long Wiha and a color coded long Wera...

Does Bondus make Whitworth sizes?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

thebigcow posted:

Go try to get some Husky replacements and report back

This caused me to look at Husky screwdrivers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

I can also strongly recommend Bahco and Williams.

I'd hope so because don't they make Snap-On?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sharkytm posted:

I'll print a couple in any color you want, so long as it's black ABS.

Can you do something like periwinkle?

On a more serious note I've reached hillbilly status. Harbor Freight is sending me two catalogs a month with slightly different names (not my fault). Mailman either thinks I'm a genius or an idiot in order to garner 20% coupons.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

One thing I always dread is the first oil change with a "new-to-me" car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Elephanthead posted:

All oil changes should start with a spare drain plug.

And 100 lbs of kitty litter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

El Jebus posted:

I could (the wood, I always use jack stands...), but I was also going to use this as an opportunity to get a better floor jack than my lovely 15yo craftsman pos. We have only had small cars so the old one was fine, but having the small truck and looking into sprinter vans makes me want something better.

Not sure on your budget, but when looking into the future of lifting vans or something like that take a look at https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-daytona-professional-steel-floor-jack-super-duty-63183.html

Coupons float around for 179 or so.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Maybe I'm blind but does Milwaukee or Makita make a cordless tire inflator?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tekton will be fine. Or HF. It's all user preference at this level with the click. They've been tested.

Couple things...

1) Keep it clean. Oils will remove the white lettering.
2) Unload the wrench (meaning back it off) before storing. Don't undo too much or you can actually yank it apart.

Don't get hung up in accuracy +/-. You want consistency. With that said, would I trust a HF torque wrench on TTY bolts on a LT4? Probably not. But for lug nuts and diff covers good enough. Just follow basic criss-cross pattern type fastening with a step up or two in getting there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, doesn't surprise me. Car Craft ran them through their paces years ago and they were amazed how accurate they were vs price.

Interesting read on how they read if you don't unload them:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1304-torque-wrench-testing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Larrymer posted:

That is indeed interesting. I always left it loaded because I didn't think it really mattered despite the instructions clearly suggesting it be unloaded :downs:. I still would like to see it internally to better understand it but :effort:.

I'm guilty as well and never thought much about it at the time and probably should replace mine due to it. Live and learn.