Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Shorter than I expected, but still, releases of Vinland Saga are always a good thing. Not surprised that Thorfinn didn't react at all to Leif. And, as always, Askeladd is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MegaCharger posted:

It's been many chapters now since his transformation, but the prince turning from an autistic pussy into the badass motherfucker that he is now is probably one of the most impressive character development I've ever seen.

It's major character development but I don't really know if it was pulled off that well. The change seemed fairly arbitrary and an asspull - the explanation for it, anyway. The development was foreshadowed, the actions are impressive, and it fits well in the story, but I'm still bothered by it because it was so sudden and caused by a really dumb thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why does this manga have to be so good? The wait is excruciating.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
edit: this isn't the naruto thread. :o:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
God drat. This chapter.

Also, is that some fatherly feeling for Thorfinn I see from Askeladd?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if we're going to see a timeskip and a slightly older Thorfinn, or if it's just going to continue with Thorfinn in prison and somehow breaking out... or something.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is this Willibald in the top panel here?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Everyone I've gotten to read Vinland Saga has pointed out that Thorfinn looks nothing like his father. I don't think this is an uncommon interpretation.

Especially with "father issues" being a major theme in the prologue and all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Onemanga doesn't pay attention to quality at all - they just use whoever finishes and submits their translation first. The same problems have been noticed in other shonen manga threads.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder how this will relate to Thorfinn's story.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Worst update ever. :smith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

Well that was pretty depressing!

I agree, though it's good to see more works address the fact that living in a medieval world sucked rear end.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Death Bot posted:

Oh god I'm new here is this one of those mangas where it updates whenever? :gonk:

It's a monthly seinen manga. Just bookmark the thread and check back whenever there are posts in it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think some of you are reading this manga for the wrong reasons. It isn't a shonen battling manga, we're going to see an actual plot and development.

My speculation is that this is a double curveball since we'll be expecting Thorfinn to kick some rear end but he's going to actually stick with his change of heart. He'll realize Europe is a lovely place to live and, having learned farming and living skills, he'll travel to Vinland and try to start a peaceful community there.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
PAGE TWENTY-FIVE IS AMAZING. This chapter made the buildup so extremely worth it.

I love this manga so much, any chance of it getting ported to the US so I can own a hard copy?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zorak posted:

Want to expand the thread at the very least to be about Otoyomegatari, which is fantastic.

Wow, this isn't bad at all. Will definitely be keeping up with that now too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Samuel L. Chan posted:

I think it's gonna be pretty impossible to avoid fighting without outright dying in the kind of world Thorfinn's living in. There will certainly still be some Thors style rear end kicking in the future, I can just feel it.

Remember that, on top of all that, Vinland isn't exactly uninhabited. Like a previous poster said, there's a difference between violence for the sake of war and conquest and violence to defend your community and ensure that it can grow and thrive.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been trying to get into Historie but the first few chapters are just so aggressively bland. On the first few pages of the first chapter a girl gets eviscerated and it's the most :geno: thing. Every panel is stiff with people staring at each other.

I really want to like Historie, it's rare that we get stories about classical times, but... does it get better?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm about 60 chapters into Historie and it really is getting better. A couple chapters had basically scribbles for backgrounds, I assume the assistants were out sick those weeks.

Really enjoying the setting and development of Eumenes/Alexander though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Puukko naamassa posted:

New Vinland Saga: http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/81

This is going to end badly, isn't it.

:stare:

Oh yeah this is going to end badly. I wonder if the whole storm of events that's about to happen will be the last straw for Thorfinn before he buggers off to Vinland with Leif when he shows up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

She's not gonna do it is she :smith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Gotta say I was kind of hoping for Thorfinn to actually counter Snake's argument about the value of life, given that his five men were already dead and gone and killing this man was not going to bring them back.

Yeah, I was surprised Thorfinn didn't say something along those lines. Though I guess it would have been a bit too obvious...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I'm surprised that Canute would turn away from Thorfinn. I didn't think he held any ill will against Thorfinn?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Shoukoku no Altair: Is this considered historical fiction? It's a more accurate non-magical Magi if that makes any sense to the readers. Everyone should read it for the detailed art and mildly OP main strategist and his party set in ancient Turkey and/or Middle East. Scanlations aren't that far behind the raws which is a bonus too.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shoukoku-no-altair-r1094

I finished the first chapter and I like the premise and the art, but it's completely drenched in Japanisms and a lot of painful manga cliches. Does it get better?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hild owns so much.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rodyle posted:

I feel like I used up my standard "1 History+Boobs Television Drama Per Person" allotment when I binged all of The Borgias.

It was a really terrible third season and an unfortunately discovered cancellation.

The Borgias was really awful and I'm surprised you lasted until the third season. If you still have any patience left for that topic, then I recommend "Borgia" -- at least the first season, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Strong chapter. I guess the concern that we wouldn't see any more combat might have been premature, depending on how this plot plays out.