Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MREBoy posted:

Whats a good app for Windows to help me move/consolidate the contents of four individual disks onto one disk ? Need to move ~5TB data total off of some 2TBs onto an 8TB, all of which are WD Black drives.

Windows has a builtin 'robocopy' command which is very good for that, but you need to figure out the suitable options.

robocopy SOURCE TARGET /E /Z /V /FP /ETA /TEE /XJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
Port knocking would probably be secure enough for this use case.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Right, sure - I'm just confused then, because it seemed to me like you were saying that a foreign system would see the port as being closed (which only happens when a TCP RST is received)?

Basically, what I'm asking is, what does nc -z 192.168.1.72 51820 output?

I would think "filtered" is the preferred result. It either tells us that the target isn't using Wireguard and their firewall is dropping the packets, or they are using WG but the key doesn't match and it is dropping the packet. Trying to guess the key is hopeless, so the only option is to try sending exploit payloads to all possible ports.

If the result was "closed" we would know the target is using neither Wireguard nor firewall.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, looking this up, because it kept confusing me, UDP is supposed to sent an ICMP packet when the port is closed. So that's how it detects it. Seems like this is something that Wireguard ought to do on its own, too, for cloaking.

I don't think we would want that. If it sends an ICMP reply then we can assume that the port is open in the firewall, and a likely reason for that is that a Wireguard is using that port. Based on the assumption that most firewalls will silently drop any packets sent to walled ports.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It's not just that there's something listening on that port that lets you guess at it being wireguard.
It's also that if it was something that wasn't wireguard, it'd probably respond if probed or be more easily identified by nmap - because there aren't that many things that go to the trouble of pretending security through obscurity works.

There is most likely nothing else than Wireguard or a firewall that is using that port, and those are indistinguishable from each other. If you don't have a firewall of any kind then WG can be identified, but who would be running a device without firewall.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

How can a firewall be using a port (by which I take it you mean listen on a port)?

In the sense that it's controlling it. You send an UDP packet to 51820 and Wireguard will silently drop it. You send an UDP packet to any other port at the 10000-65000 range and the firewall will silently drop them.

The only thing you can deduce is that the whole port range is protected by firewall, because the target's IP stack never replied that the port is closed, or the router didn't reply that you are trying to connect to non-existing IP.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

frogbs posted:

Interesting, thank you for the info! I think I’m going to stick with HFS for now.

Do you need the interoperability of HFS? APFS isn't as good as ZFS, but it sounds better than HFS at least.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Same could go for email I guess? Mostly I see that I’m approaching those storage limits and don’t like the idea of being forced into paying for more and more over time.

The simplest solution for that is an IMAP email client like Thunderbird. Once a year create a new local folder, move a bunch of old emails there and then make a backup of that folder. Thunderbird is a good option since it uses simple, standard MBOX format for the local folders.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

tuyop posted:

Does anyone pronounce nginx properly in their heads? Like I've definitely never heard anyone say it out loud before but I read it should be "engine-x" but that's nowhere near as satisfying as saying "en-jinx" in my head.

It is always "en-kinkula" as it should be.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

You found an answer, but generally roaming profile is problematic enough and bad for backing up, that you wouldn't want to use it for backups alone.

I've been using them at work for two decades. The purpose is syncing between computers. You use roaming profile if you want to be able to log in to a random computer and have your profile follow you.

Biggest problem is that sync/backup only happens when you log out and the profile server is available. Not all software use the roaming folder, so you may need backups anyway. Or they use it for stuff that isn't worth syncing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Seems like a weird design choice for HPE, but whatever. I googled the weird 6 pin connector a lot today and discovered that it is indeed HPE proprietary. There are some people out there who have made Arduinos and circuit boards that can convert the 6 pin interface to a standard 4-pon fan connector, but the easier and cheaper solution is to just use one of the SATA power plugs available and power a normal fan with a power adapter.

The 6-pin fan connector largely makes sense since they used to be two tiny fans strapped together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

What benefits does ILO access provide? I pretty much disabled it in the BIOS as soon as I received the machine.

E: also which key did you buy? For $7 I'd like to tinker with it too.

iLO access can be quite useful, especially for the Integrated Management Log and console access. For TrueNAS and Unraid use the iLO Advanced license isn't that necessary, HPE allows console access during POST for configuring BIOS and devices. But with those eBay prices might as well get it.

Of course if you enable iLO remember to to update it regularly.
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_a9afd91f006a44f8b1b5d0e09b

Updating is a bit tricky. Extract the "ilo4_281.bin" from the .exe with 7-Zip and upload it through the iLO, "Administration - Firmware".

Update the BIOS to at least version 2.82. It's a critical update, so downloading it doesn't require a support agreement.
https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?softwareId=MTX_ee67dcd89ef74e2da195fdff53&language=en_US

Other hardware components have firmware updates too, but I think most of them can't be updated through iLO, so they would be more tricky.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Thanks for this. I knew there was a BIOS update available but hadn't gotten around to installing it. I didn't realize we were past the days of using bootable media to apply firmware fixes. Using a web interface from my PC feels like the future.

Well bootable media could be convenient, but you would need to get your hands on Service Pack for ProLiant and that requires support contract or new hardware. If you have an RPM-based distribution you can probably install the firmware from OS. If neither applies it may be tricky. My solution for updating Dell servers with Ubuntu installs was to install CentOS 7 on a USB stick and run Dell System Update from it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I think the correct solution is to remove the gateway from eth1, but could also set a bigger metric for it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Vaporware posted:

This feels like a bigger design question I was completely unaware of. No big deal or is the UUID thing something I should look up?

The FAQ had a good explanation on that.

Selecting /dev/ names when creating a pool (Linux)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It will never not be funny to me that in current year, Linux still has inconsistent device naming because of its floppy disk support.

I was vividly reminded of two weeks ago when we updated a SAP HANA server and during boot-up it was dropped to a recovery console and the only line shown on the screen was an error message about PS/2 UART controller. When you are doing diagnostics in a rush your Google searches may not immediately find the information how that if a standard error message because the server doesn't have PS/2 and can be ignored.

As a professional Linux server admin I hope I'm enough involved with it, that I'm entitled to hate Linux. To balance things out my coworker hates Windows more and I probably less.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

hooah posted:

Ok, I think I do. I probably did that the last time I updated Jellyfin and lost my whole setup.

'docker ps' and 'docker inspect ID' should be able to show if it's persistent.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I bought a 4 disk USB hard drive DAS thing. I formatted one of the drives as letter G: in Windows. Set some programs to point there.

Then I plug in my phone, disconnect another USB hard drive, take my phone, etc etc, normal computer activity. I might have restarted the computer too.

Now that USB DAS hard drive is saying it is drive J: and the connections I linked to it are broken.

How do I get it to stop changing letters?

You can go to Disk Management, right-click a drive and "Change Drive Letter...".

The problem probably is that G: was the first free drive letter when you plugged it in. If you unplug it and plug something else it will also get G:. The solution is to change that drive to some higher letter, M:, T:, X:, whatever, then it will keep using that letter and no other drive will use it unless you plug in whole lot of USB sticks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

This is very helpful thanks! Can you confirm the anecdotes I've read that 2.5" drives are generally lower power draw than 3.5" drives? Is this something I should care about here, or will Unraid shutting them down most of the day minimize that difference anyway?

2.5" drives certainly use less power, but how much space do you need? Because a 1* 10TB 3.5" drive should use quite a bit less than a 5* 2TB 2.5" drives. If you only need a few terabytes a SSD could be a better option.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The most gentle way is probably to get another 1+TB drive and then disk clone the drive with Macrium Reflect, Acronis or similar. It will read the drive from start to end linearly, that should minimize moving the read head. Unless there is a lot of free space, then a normal copy might be gentler overall.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

oliveoil posted:

Don't have much data actually. Just saw that reddit is closing their API and wanted to grab the data just in case. Not even sure what I would use it for but just the fact they're trying to shut it down gives me the nagging feeling that I want to have it.

You also need to consider how fast is your internet connection and how long it would take to transfer 30 TB of data. And how long it would take for Reddit to notice how much bandwidth you are wasting and ban your IP, or slow your download speed to a crawl.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I first set up my NAS a USB boot device was definitely considered acceptable. It seems that FreeNAS rarely wrote to the boot drive, but that changed with the switch over to TrueNAS and I'm guessing it's beginning to hit the wall with the increased I/O and the drive not being very good in the first place. Does USB 3.0 work properly in TrueNAS now? My immediate plan is to get a new Samsung USB 3.0 64GB flash drive, but maybe another option is to grab something like this and toss in the cheapest small SSD I can find at the recyclers.

Instead of that enclosure I would suggest a USB3.1 M.2 NVME enclosure and a 16GB Intel Optane.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

At a glance looking at the other link it seems like the external storage drive seems to be a good price? Its about 5$ more expensive per TB but is also affordable at around 120$ while the cheaper per TB option is like 350$ which I'm not spending right now and is overkill. 6-8TB is probably basically enough to cover my needs for the forseeable future and at that price I can get two.

That model seems to use SMR drive instead of CMR. It will probably work as a backup drive but wouldn't be good with you future NAS. I'd try to search for an external with shuckable CMR drive so I could reuse it with the NAS.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Alright so I'm fine if I don't care too much about reusing it later it is likely fine? If I want to see whether a drive is SMR vs CMR is there a way of seeing this information? I looked at both the affordable external WD drives and did ctrl+f for SMR and CMR but didn't see anything.

This is one source.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

surfacelevelspeck posted:

I'm planning to use Ubuntu 20.04 to host Plex so hopefully I can just keep that on an external drive, or if it's a better choice an m.2 on the motherboard.

Why are you planning to use a distro with such a limited lifespan?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

surfacelevelspeck posted:

I mean I was only planning it because it was what I found looking around for easy Plex setups, if there's a better (free) choice I'd be more than happy to do that instead.

I assume it will work identically on Ubuntu 22.04.

https://linuxhint.com/install_plex_ubuntu-2/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Optical media probably has the best change to still work and have working compatible hardware without too much effort. Tape may last that long, but the standards evolve too quickly. We are at LTO-9 currently and those drives can only support down to LTO-7, so you would need to upgrade the tapes every five years or so. With harddrives the risk of seized bearings is probably too high.

But this is the wrong way to think about this. You can hardly trust any media for 30 years so you would have to test them every five years or so, so might as well transfer the data to newer media while doing it. And keeping the data on active storage is of course a good option.

More interesting question would be what is the cheapest method of long term storage for different amounts of data.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

and maybe 20TB of research data that probably I will never need to look at again but if I do need it I will really need it. The research stuff needs to be accessed almost never

It sounds like you have the unusual use case, where ZFS provides way too much active protection and too little protection against house fire. I would probably store a one copy on a single 20TB harddrive and create checksums of all the data, then check the data regularly. Another backup copy I would probably put in Amazon Glacier for emergency. I might want a third copy somewhere in the middle. Something with a quicker retrieval than Glacier and hopefully not much more expensive.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The trick is probably keeping it at standard pressure, the air would also need to get in to balance the pressure.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Kibner posted:

e: It would very quickly be cheaper for me to just build a whole new server and stash it at my partner's mom's house and use that as my remote backup solution.

It's really hard to compete with price against that option, because it really doesn't need to be server class for backup use. An old office PC and couple big harddrives is all you need.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s funny reading the Reddit comments from last night and this morning before the official announcement. Everyone was frothing at the mouth pissed.

Frothing is the only appropriate response to such news, so that the details can ameliorated before the official announcement.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

You can use Cvedetails.com to get a clearer picture. It looks like Qnap has had very bad start of the year, or they have done a thorough search for vulnerabilities.

Qnap
Synology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Talorat posted:

Any good rackmount DAS or disk shelf options available or do people mostly find those kinds of things on eBay these days? I was surprised to find basically nothing on Newegg. I don’t want a whole nas, just an enclosure for a bunch of shucked drives I can attach with a SAS cable or whatever they call em.

They have at least a refurbished Dell MD1420, but I guess these kind of products are seldom bought through Newegg.