Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Where can I grab me one of those tools? My power windows need lubricating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Looking at lots of E36 pictures I'm seeing a LOT of people switching to electric fans.

Is there a defacto guide on what to order/install/remove for a car that will be seeing autocross/track/street driving?

The car is in storage now, but now that I've got all the parts I need for chassis reinforcement, I'm starting to look into cooling.

Are oil pump nut issues still apparent in later E36s?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
GDCS was replaced in '11 by a dealer paid by the original owner.

Any word on a push/pull SPAL setup? Straight blade? Curve blade? CFM? Dual fan? Not entirely sure where to begin choosing/deciding.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sadi posted:

As for the auto bit, those twin clutch transmissions are pretty sweet from what Ive seen of them. I feel like a strong argument could be made that its only for silly emotional reasons people could want a clutch pedal. I mean the US market is the only place that is getting non DCTs in the M cars to my understanding.

That car is too early for a DCT if I recall.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
As a while-I'm-in there kinda thing, I'm thinking of oil pan baffles as well since the pan will be off for the nut. Anyone have any recommendations? They aren't too expensive, so I'm eying the VAC one. Thoughts?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Viper_3000 posted:

If my 323 would do this I would be SO HAPPY.

Is there something wrong with your car? Most, if not all, cars should be able to keep them self rolling without any throttle input.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

The 128i was probably the last real Ultimate Driving Machine. N/A straight six, manual transmission, hydraulic steering.

PFFT. E36s are the last Ultimate Driving Machines. N/A straight six, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, cable throttle. :smug:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What do you currently have?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TheStig posted:

If I was in the market for an e39 I would seriously consider the 530i over the 540i. 300lbs lighter with an engine that is virtually unkillable. Also gets you rack and pinion steering instead of recirculating ball(used in all V8 E39s) for loads of delicious feel. Plenty of examples out there that are well over 400,000 miles and still going strong. Clearly get the manual.

Do V8 M5s have rack and pinion?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Where to people get Xbraces for E36s? I imagine there aren't any reasons not to instal one right?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Honestly, he probably didn't harm your parking brake much at all. I'd be more worried about the thousands of miles he burned off your clutch.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

Definitely replace the diff bushing if you are going to track/autox at all. Or you will get to do this:

One bushing? Or bushings?

I'm trying to get a proper track prep list going for my recently acquired E36. At the moment, maintenance wise, it needs nothing.

Must do:
Oil pump shaft upgrade
Baffle
RTAB reinforcement
Rear shock reinforcement

Maybe do:
Mech. fan delete
X brace
Sway bar reinforcement (stock sways probably won't break them.)
Front engine mount reinforcement (stock power on street tires probably won't break anything?)

I'm wondering about the Z3 oil pickup upgrade. Is that compatible with the VAC baffle?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
More Dr Vanos questions. I don't know if my car needs it yet, (it's at 100k miles and it's still in storage) but is stage II ever worth it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ask about RTAB bushings. Whether they've been replaced. It's nearly impossible to see the conditions of the RTAB mounts though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Six easy to access bolts and drill a few holes to remove, press the new ones in and reassemble. It's a bit of a pain but not that time consuming.

It's worth asking if the maintenance has been done. And by who. If over torqued, the pockets rip out of the unibody. If the bushings are not taken care of, the increased forces can also tear the unibody.

Also, oil pump nut.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Das Volk posted:

I wouldn't buy a car with SMG either, but this is a pretty cool upgrade, and I have to wonder if it improves reliability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTN_ylF5YRI

The original did all those things. Throttle cut on upshifts and blips on downshifts. I guess that upgrade does it... better?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The best OEM+ route for E36 bluetooth is still CD43 + whatever bluetooth dongle right?

Long shot, anyone wanna sell me a CD43?

I'm leaning toward Soundplicity. Though more expensive than the other DICE derivatives, they're still supporting the device in North America.

Thoughts/experiences?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How long does the car sit before firing right back up?

When the dash lights are fading, are the engine revs falling below idle?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

You would notice a slipping clutch. There is a fairly simple test - at slow speed (20-30mph) put it in 5th and floor it. If the revs spike AT ALL, the clutch is worn. If it slowly accelerates at a consistent rate the clutch is fine and you need a new mechanic.

That's not the best test.

You need to sweep peak torque in the tallest gear that you can legally do that in. Punching it in top gear at low speeds gives the clutch an easy job of holding most of the engine torques. You want to see if it can hold ALL the torques.

:science:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I bought an E36 M3 in the fall and immediately stored it without getting a leakdown test. Pray for me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

I've money shifted mine. Twice. Still runs like a top.

I read an article that says that money shifted M3s with bent valves still run smoothly. :ohdear:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
If you want, budget for an LSD. LSDs are a good idea on winter driven RWD cars.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What are people's favorite methods of getting a few inches more helmet clearance in an E36 coupe? I need helmet clearance.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

VelociBacon posted:

You could probably find seat rails that drop the seat. Especially if you don't mind as much about moving your seat forward and back.

I don't think anything exists for the stock seats. I'll see what I can google.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NOTinuyasha posted:

I came across the SoundPlicity which looks way better

I'm also looking at picking that up as well. I've come to the same conclusions as you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cakefool posted:

E46 2l diesel touring: moderate or higher acceleration starts a shudder in the drivetrain. Backing of a little and reapplying throttle makes it go away, but I can pretty much do it on demand, what should I be looking at replacing?

Same thing in every gear?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone have any luck doing foamectomies on E36 seats?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone mod E36 M3 sedan/coupe seats to get more headroom? I've got spare seats for butt foam, and I'm considering carving foam out for a few inches of helmet clearance.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NOTinuyasha posted:

~Cool poo poo.~

CD43? Or C33?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does that mean he changed the type of steering rack as well?

3.0s had racks. Everything bigger... didn't.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oopsie. Yes. You are all correct. I don't know why I instantly thought that was an E39.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do you want to read a ridiculously detailed document about E36 ODBC and cluster functions? No?

Too bad!

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I went Googling to see what it actually could warn you about. Slightly disappointing it doesn't warn oil level.

Though, I learned what the CODE button does. :v:

People say, like other security systems on the E36, it is easily defeated though.

But I get to pretend that I'm Jason Statham in the Transporter. So that's cool.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have the original installed alarm on my E36. With the roundish fob with two grey buttons on it.

Is it possible to program one of these keys to it? As far as I can tell it's an E36 key, and it has a little red light on it like the fobs do. I would prefer it be all in one key.

Just out of curiosity really.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That seems to be a three button one. I can only assume that the trunk button would do nothing for me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That sounds wild. Please do it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Someone (in Canada no less) found a clean E30 recently. I'm kinda jealous. I would winter drive the poo poo out of an E30. It's just so wonderfully basic.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162382

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

They're out there. I've seen a few on max for decent prices, and a few in BC. Its just never been the right time for me. This summer I'll be hunting for a nice 318is, but I have a bit of sanity so I'm also looking at e36 325/328s and e46 330s. I just want something FUN again. MK4 2.0 is killing my sanity with the m3 in storage.

The holy grail winter car for me would be a 325/328 sedan with winter package. Factory LSD Yo.

Winter driving a Miata is fun and all, but going down to your most impractical car for winter driving is starting to get on my nerves a bit. And E36s seem to straddle the line between modern nice-ness and basic drivers-car mechanicals. I still like cable throttles.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I left my E36 at my parents this winter without a tender on it for about 4 months. It's stock and has a BMW two bottom alarm that was never armed for the duration of the slumber.

Should I try and start it? Or just go straight for a booster pack?

I don't want to have to gently caress with EWSII weirdness. And a friend said he flooded his E36 325i trying to attempt a low battery start. :what:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Well, it took three 'boosts' from a plug in jumper pack. But it sprang to life.

Drove it around a bit. I need to go through the service records, but the PO said BMW OEM shocks were put in in the last few years. But the front shocks feel quite soft. Is that a thing with E36 M3s?

I managed to do the 'carnami code' and program my other fob. But it still won't actually do anything to the car. The car will register it (status light goes off when in learning mode) but it won't arm/disarm after.

Coming from a Miata with no anti squat/dive geometry, the suspension in the E36 feels... weird. The spring up effect after a panic stop is pretty odd feeling.