Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I had never popped my head into AI outside of browsing through the odd goldmine thread, but I was wondering if there was a goon reaction on the leaked pictures from the plant, and was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I've got a small issue with my 2009 E91 328xi. 90k miles.

It has a high speed vibration that shows up at around 70mph. The car drives w/o vibration up to that point. New tires and alignment about 4k miles ago. The steering wheel doesn't shake when it happens. Has anyone had any luck in this scenario with road force balancing tires?

I googled only to find that it is a very common problem with no isolated solution.

TIA.

If you got star tires, see if the dealer can trigger a qmt request to check whether the DOT / lot of the tires was previously flagged for cavity noise issues, that's a fairly straightforward option they have available.

4k Miles is a bit outside of the threshold for harmonics issues to manifest, but asking don't cost you squat.

If it's not the tires, good luck.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Spent a day at a BMW Driving Experience track last week. I knew driving without any driving assistance systems was fun, but I didn't know just how much fun it could be once you hit that DSC off button in 430ds, 1 series MPAs and M4s.
Also my first time of getting a mild case of motion sickness from flooring it and doing emergency stops from 65/75/85 kph about 40 times. I took my colleagues' advice of not having a full breakfast before the course, but it turns out your internal organs move around quite a bit anyway.

Another thing I didn't quite realize about the state of modern driving assistance systems is just how impressive they actually are.

I'm scheduled for another 2 day training course in April at the Salzburgring in Austria, and doing a whole bunch of the same maneuvers, but at much higher speeds, seems...uh, interesting.

/edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UdcsGF_GA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRjQELkc54

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 18, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I almost got run over by a loving battery X3 today, so please don't buy battery cars <3

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

To be fair, that's still on the concept, though

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

The i4 is...not good folks. You hate to see it.

Have you looked at the ~sick~ rim inlays yet?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Out of mere interest, do we have anyone in here that has or is considering a post-2017 Gx/Fx?

All I can recall is the gentlegoon thinking about an X7, but I don't think I've read any personal experiences about engine/electronics reliability regarding those models so far

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That is hilarious.
Not only because of all the other red flags, but especially because "drove her like a granny".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It appears that some dingus leaked i4 pictures, but forgot to blur/redact their department code on the Stringo they were moving it on.

That's gonna be a somewhat unhappy group of people come tomorrow morning.

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm on mobile, but the Instagram guy reposting it is "Wilco Blok", but it seems people mistook it for an i4 because the guy had previously been posting i4 videos from outside of Aschheim in February.

Looks like the actual leak is from an m240i as per his account.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

How did it get that far without anyone with enough power saying "that's ugly"

Without going into too much detail, I think a good comparison to help understand how design folks at BMW walk around with impunity is that episode from Southpark about a Family Guy episode getting pulled from the air, because the writers are a tank full of manatees whose emotions must be catered to at all times.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Goons, I need advice. The tyres on my car are going to need replacing in the next month or so. I intend to ditch the runflats because they're frankly crap and expensive. I hear a lot of talk across the interwebs that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is the best tyre for BMWs, but these are from M car owners and I can't help but wonder if such a tyre is overkill on my 320i.

I've narrowed possible choices down to 4, two premiums and two less premiums:

Avon ZV7 vs Toyo Proxes Sport
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4

I'm inclined to just go for the PS4s and be done with it, but I had the Eagle F1s on my 1 Series and they were really good, and they come in a bit cheaper than the Michelins.

Cheers in advance.

If you don't feel like shelling out big bucks for PS4s, grab a set of Turanzas if you're running 18"(+) rims.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

A lot of it will be blanked off and there will be a massive bumper bar and sensor array and poo poo sat behind it I bet

It's in the first couple of seconds, iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTsK7oXsjg

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 23, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Soooo, thoughts on the iX?
:unsmigghh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

God bless if that thing actually drives.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIV29IGnp4o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Quote this if you spotted it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Damnit, y'all

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

i own every Bionicle posted:

BMW tries to keep their product line streamlined. They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model would make it too cluttered and confusing.

Ahem...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

i own every Bionicle posted:

Lol

They have gotten rid of the Gran Touring things but still

Lmao

Seriously wtf

Well, you can't sell a luxury barn-on-wheels without offering a sporty hybrid Coupé Version of it with even more horsepower, now can you?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh boy, y'all are gonna love the exhaust of the X8

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

:j: Hey, I'm here picking up the kids. There's a warning in the dash saying coolant low, top off. Can I drive home?
:v: Ugh, yellow or red
:j: Yellow
:v: You should be able to limp home. Stop if you see a red warning
:j: Oh good, I thought it might be serious because there's steam pouring out from under my hood
:v: Wait, what?

:argh: GDCS

This feeling is basically what you have the first time you drive a prototype, except it gets turned up to 11 and the situation never really goes away, because it's perfectly normal for the car to scream at you in various ways to come to an immediate stop.
You're in a constant state of evaluating which of the lights on the Check-Control-Christmas tree is fine to be yellow/red or flashing angrily, which ones indicate you should call the owner and which ones require you to push the car right off a cliff.

There's nothing quite like a soothing Bavarian voice asking you "is there smoke?"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Never really had an affinity for "classic"-tier cars (outside of the 850csi I got to drive in 20 years ago because an S1 officer on our base had appropriated a defunct hangar as his private garage and took me out for a spin), but now that the BMW classic channel seems to plan to unveil some more "fairly recent" concept designs, I might throw them a subscription for the occasional fix of crossover-insanity and hilarious design features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YIxCBtoh3c

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bit late to the party, but...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hell yes it is

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The width on those tires is giving me anxiety

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It's about that time again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WieBN931vos

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bit of a kidney there...

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/17/bmw-xm-concept-teased/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Speaking of 328s and $2k shop bills. Thats what I just spent doing a complete overhaul, m3 control arms front and back spl rear toe arms, hotchkis sway bars, vorshlag camber plates, rear subframe and diff bushings, kwv3s.

Excited for a mountain run this afternoon then driving like 900 miles to seattle tomorrow morning at 5am to hopefully get through the snow areas before it starts getting dark and colder!

Tell me you're running winter tires or at least all-seasons on it

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That's what I get for opening new reply tabs and not posting immediately.

Welp, :rip:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Congrats on arriving alive!

I'm not really sure a uhaul with a trailer in snow is all that much better than a RWD BMW on summers in snow.

I mean, if the U-Haul's on winters, I'll take that option Everytime.

Also, Seconding the congratulations!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

I'd be very surprised if uhaul bothers to switch out to winters. In this America???

Good point, but I assume all-seasons on the entire fleet then? To avoid claims or something probably?

/edit:
Despite my tire background, I basically have no clue when it comes to commercial vehicles like trucks and above, so maybe not, idk :shrug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Overhead wire failure around Landshut (between Dingolfing and Munich) caused a mild amount of mayhem today. Hope none of y'all ordered a G22/23, G3x, G1x, or any of the corresponding M-variants recently. :ohdear:

https://streamable.com/zt6d15

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I guess also figure out the names of things before traveling too, because the Nürburgring is right next to Nürburg.

This bears repeating, because during my time as the token-German at USAG Bamberg, there were countless occasions where army buddies had their friends fly in with the promise that the Ring was " right around the corner" since Nürnberg (Nuremberg) was half an hour to the south.

It's not like any of those folks ditched their plans on account of their anticipated drive suddenly being 4 hours instead of 30mins, but boy howdy, there was many a last-minute hotel cancellation/booking that could have been avoided with some basic research

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

BMW et al refer to themselves as OEMs despite not being OEMs, because it's been the accepted standard definition for a long while.

The original definition of OEM would be Intel as part of a fully-built retail PC being sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well lookie here. Pics passed onto cops and the insurance company. I'm a god drat detective!

Congrats!
Thread loving delivers