Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone need an E46 sedan parts car?

I've given up on mine, help me make room in my driveway: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898303

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

glyph posted:

E: BOOO, spoiler tags don't work for youtube.

Many times I've wished there was a universal way to embed Youtube videos without showing the title because it spoils the surprise. I know there are ways to do it if you're embedding it in your own site, but that doesn't help for forums, social media, Discord, etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crunchy Black posted:

As I understand it, they cut me a check for the base MSRP and I just go to the dealer and spec it out. I'll be on the hook for the price of the options.

That is pretty fuckin' awesome. Keep in mind the tax implications, be ready to owe the government something, but otherwise enjoy the hell out of that!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

iirc the parts came from a dodge magnum
Yup. Lots of pics here:
https://www.gminsidenews.com/articles/full-story-camaro-shooting-brake-woodward/

I wish there were more interior shots, but the exterior work is quite well done.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That is the feature I miss the most from dailying my E46. It was so nice when parallel parking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That seriously looks like I 3D printed it on my lovely printer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ether Frenzy posted:

I say everyone here should buy a salvage title/blown engine 7 or 8 series once in their lifetime, or they're not living
I've always wanted to buy a cheap V12 of some sort just for the sake of checking off "owned a V12" on my car guy bucket list but with the assumption that it'd get LSed at some point.

The question has always been what's the newest one I can get that's unreliable enough to be cheap and simple enough from a chassis electronics standpoint that an engine swap is a practical idea while still having a reliable chassis/suspension.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

XJS maybe? they're pretty simple in terms of chassis electronics, the actual platform is solid outside of the electronics.

it definitely checks the unreliability box. at one point they had a Hydramatic and later on a 4L80Eso it should be easily adaptable to GM bolt patterns.
Yeah, the idea was inspired by a former roommate almost buying a 350 swapped XJ12. Those are high on the list of possibilities and definitely seem like the most well documented of these kinds of things.

I'm 95% sure an E31 or E32 would be relatively easy and about 80% sure an E38 would be doable at least as far as getting to a driveable car, how close to full original functionality could be achieved is a bit less certain.

I was eyeing early '90s Bentleys and RRs which wouldn't have been V12 of course but would have still been awesome luxo-tanks, then I found out about the hydraulic suspension and decided the correct answer is to admire those from a distance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

That black poverty spec looks like a loving Grand Prix.
Seriously, I think the Pontiac looks better. (that's a phrase that probably hasn't ever been uttered about anything other than Firebird vs. Camaro for decades)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do any of you E39/E46 people have experience with the aftermarket Android Auto head units designed for them? Specifically looking at the AVIN Avant-4.
Holy poo poo, they finally figured out how to use a semi-modern SoC and operating system in one. That's amazing.

Last time I looked at those things they were all running 3-5 year old builds of Android that were hacked to hell. It's probably still hacked to hell but at least it's not ancient trash anymore.

Here's a review of the newest one compared to a few generations old: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/avin-avant-4-installation-first-review.1253277/

It certainly seems to be less bad than previous ones.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

me, someone who didn't want to buy an airbag reset tool just to sell a car
Yeah, I'd always be wary of someone selling a car saying it "just needs X" when X would be easy to fix and costs nearly nothing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Here in Ohio you used to have to take the car in to a state-operated station where it'd get a visual inspection and a gas cap check, then either a sniffer run on rollers for older vehicles or a plug-in check for '96+.

For the last few years as the 25 year exemption got closer and closer to the '96 model year they've been adding plug check stations at local auto service chains as well as self-serve stations, presumably the state-run test centers will close down soon once everything that's required to be tested has the ability to be plugged in.

Of course as you can imagine, a self-serve station lets you get away with anything as long as the ECU is happy about it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flightless greeb posted:

I'm so mad that we're in a situation where it's not too expensive to import and federalize 7 different crossover models but it is too expensive to do it for 1 wagon. I only need one!!

The thing that bugs me the most about this is that every combination needs to be individually certified. I know some of the M models actually have a unique unibody, but there are still other combinations where the drivetrain and unibody exist in a US-legal form but they won't sell us the pair and it's illegal to import it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
After 13 years of ownership (which lines up really closely with the life of the thread) as of this morning I no longer have any superior German plastics or adhesives in my driveway :(

https://i.imgur.com/ajcRjBn.mp4

It'll be at the pull-a-part in Akron if anyone around the area is looking for parts. I kept the aftermarket tail lights and might use them as a garage decoration.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

Who would buy an 8 series with a manual? Being lazy highway cruisers is the entire point.
Because automatics universally sucked for anything "sporty" that wasn't purely straight line until the mid-00s brought us DCTs. Four and five speed slushboxes are not desirable in any sense IMO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i..... don't hate this

Poe's Law has come to automotive design, parodies are more reasonable than reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

bmw fans: this brand has completely lost its way
also bmw fans: where's my bmw 9-7x??

Not necessarily conflicting positions.

At the luxury end of the spectrum big SUVs make perfect sense. All the same interior features, more space, more headroom, more suspension travel, and the negatives don't really matter to the owner. I'm honestly surprised it took as long as it did for the X7 to happen.

Where BMW has lost their way IMO is at the small and sporty end of the spectrum. M-badged SUVs and front wheel drive on anything wearing a roundel, those are travesties.

edit: I want this BMW back

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 13, 2021