Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

No drawers, checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phone posted:

Wait, you don't have an artisanal broom? lol

What's next? You don't drink La Croix?
Ew, you drink your LaCroix? Like, after bathing in it? Or do you... You're not still using tap water to bathe, are you?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

And dog holes :fork:
Did I do this right? Sorry, it's my first work bench!!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Whatever brand of folding plastic sawhorses I have are total garbage. The bracing between the legs is a big flat piece that folds in half when the thing is collapsed flat for storage but the hinge they use to make it fold is awful, it's just plastic on plastic and refuses to hold together properly without tons of fiddling. I think once it's together and flattened out it might be ok but it's a nightmare to transition them between standing and folded. I think I used them for my very first project and then maybe once or twice since then when I'm really hard up for a stand of some sort.

Black legs, yellow tops? I've got those, and yeah, they are awful. I've considered somehow threading a metal rod through the hinges to keep them together, but never got around to it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I choose to believe the wax seal is meant to evoke the blood splatter from when you drive a chisel into that flap of skin by your thumb while making your mortise and tenon.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Man, you guys have put a lot of thought into this, so I feel bad not saying something earlier, but you can actually just buy pre-dried pasta nowadays.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

They've got a real Sam and Diane thing going. Pretty sure they would have slept together by now, if only they could agree on what kind of work bench they should do it on.

But of course, ultimately, they can't, so the dance continues.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

Shaker of course. :smuggo:

Just be sure to properly secure the work piece before starting, and I'm sure it goes unsaid in this thread, but use proper PPE.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

It's in the cabinet underneath. Yawn. Maybe you and GE should have a boys night out so you get me out your system. Believe me, there is nothing that would make me happier.
I think you've misread me a bit - I'm quite fond of both of you, as you're generally the two most knowledgeable in the thread - I just see a bit of humor in how much you argue. I took your response to mine as you playing along with my joke, but I'll gladly drop it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MickRaider posted:

This pallet of wood was in my basement when I bought my house. Looks like it's from an old mailbox post, probably pine. Each section is like 18"

Is it firewood or worth keeping as scraps? I'm not entirely sure what I'd use it for and it's too big to really work on my tables saw/don't have a band saw.
If each piece is 18", you've got about 20 feet of post there - How tall are mailboxes typically mounted in your neck of the woods? :colbert:

Nothing inherently wrong with keeping them for scrap wood, but I definitely wouldn't use it as firewood - No telling what chemicals may have been used to treat random piles of lumber.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Zhent posted:

I have no dog in this fight but this is a good point - please don't make the mistake I did when starting and think that a contractor / construction style table saw [like this http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/saws/table-saws/10-compact-job-site-table-saw-with-sitepro-modular-guarding-system/dwe7480 ] will do any good for woodworking beyond the smallest projects. I find it such a hassle to pull it out, find something to use for outfeed and to support the rest of the work that isn't on the tiny tabletop, etc. that I honestly would prefer to make everything but the largest rips by hand at the moment.
Out of curiosity, is your issue with this one just ripping 4x8 sheet goods? I've got the same saw, and will be the leper in this thread saying that for a weekend warrior, I've never once felt like it wasn't up to any task I gave it.

Like, I absolutely get the bigger the table the better, but there's a *lot* to be said for a saw that can be taken with you to a friend's to help him with a project. Sheet goods just get the tracksaw treatment anyway, as that's always felt easier than trying to feed a huge sheet of plywood into a saw with any degree of control.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyway, I'd expect that circular saw injury rates would be lower simply because circular saw use would be lower. So that's interesting; what am I missing?
Circular saw use is only lower among certain groups. A rough carpenter (framer) generally uses a circular saw almost exclusively. They are also the group most likely to be using power tools in non-ideal conditions, thus, 'where'd my finger go?'

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaning back in that chair, for what it's worth.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Every person in this thread has done more damage to themselves with a chisel than any other tool, guaranteed.

So, dude who suggested chisels, back off.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I built a 4x8 cedar garden box. It's all just butt joints and screws, very simple construction. I need to move it, and need to put it on its side to do so, but I'm afraid of racking. Would temporarily screwing small strips of wood to the top at each corner at a 45 degree angle offer much protection? Is there a better way to handle it?

I'm not sure I'm describing it well - Picture a bookcase carcass, but instead of putting a solid back on, you just put, say, 6" straps on a 45 at each corner. Would that accomplish anything?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Falco posted:

While I would normally agree, I picked up one of these last week and it's a hell of a lot more stout than the typical F style clutch type.

I'm not sure that really equates to any additional clamping force however.

Beyond 24" are F clamps worth it anymore? I've had a few projects that need something longer than 24", so I considered picking up 36", but I wasn't sure if they had it in them. I would love a couple of Bessey or Jet parallel clamps, but the price is hard to stomach.
Assuming these count as F clamps (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/962), then yes. Because I have these, and I'm fairly confident I could use them to crush a car into a cube.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Falco posted:

Aren't those considered parallel clamps?

That's what I know them as, but they *are* f shaped, and I've seen them described as such elsewhere. I'm not smart enough to answer definitively.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Hey, dumb question, but why is cedar from big box stores never s4s? Every other species is, but they always leave one side of cedar rough. Googling isn't getting me any answers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

This thread is super against contractor saws, but for what it's worth, as a weekend warrior, my dewalt (older model than that one, but pretty similar) works beautifully for everything I've used it for, with the exception of the occasional thing I probably shouldn't have used *any* table saw for.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Hi woodworking thread! It's been a long time since I've built anything out of wood now but I want to make a big hobby storage thingy sort of like this.
Any reason not to just buy a mechanic's box? I know it's not in the spirit of the thread, but my guess is price wise it'd end up similar if not cheaper.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

jailbait#3 posted:

The industry had a chance to get in on the ground floor, they said no thanks. They've had a decade to come up with their own safety technology, and the best they've done is fitting saws with better riving knives and blade guards that most users immediately remove
The industry had a chance to get in on the ground floor at an unreasonable price. 8% of every saw sale in perpetuity?

And since then, every time they have tried to come up with their own safety technology, they've been sued by SawStop, so it seems silly to act like Big Table Saw is just stomping on the little guy. Bosch came up with a better system - Same safety, and no damage to the saw. They are being sued.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

"Woodworking Megathread: I glued two boards together"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Hey, man. I hand planed the gluing surfaces, too. I didn't get around to anything else today, though. :(

Hey, it's more than I've done in awhile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Nothing fancy, but I finished my first box joint... box. Lots of gaps, crudely filled with sawdust and glue, but I'm satisfied enough for the first time out. Next one will be dovetails, and less rushed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Super Waffle posted:

Very nice! Birds eye maple and walnut?

Yeah, woodcraft had a crazy deal on the birds eye, otherwise I wouldn't have used it for my first attempt.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Hubis posted:

So after my earlier derision, I will say that I think it's important to not be *too* precious about preserving wood for its own sake. Wood is nice because it adds natural warmth and texture that you can't really get with painted trim, and if it's done particularly well the craftsmanship can serve as a kind of ornamentation to the room. if, on the other hand, your wood detail is in fairly poor repair or you want more color by painting the plaster instead then painting the trim can be a perfectly valid choice. So go with whatever you decide to do with a specific goal in mind, and be open to all options as a means to an end. If you like the wood, then figure out what it is about the wood you like (it sounds like you appreciate the warmth it brings to the room) and work to compliment it.

I mean essentially all painted trim is wood that someone decided to paint for some reason or another.

I think the problem is that going any lighter at all means that you really need to remove all the stain, otherwise you will have consistency problems in whatever you end up with. Looking at this picture and the amount of work you'd need to materially strip the darker pieces of wood, you might honestly be better off just removing and replacing the upper sections (if it's not too onerous) and then staining to match.

Yeah, I got all precious about the original oak trim in my former house and spent months and months refinishing it. Ended up selling the house before I finished, and one room ended up getting the trim painted white because it was the only way to get it looking decent in time. Ended up being the nicest looking room in the house.

I just got it into my head that it was *original*, and it was 7 inch, 3 part oak baseboard, and oh my god, do you have any idea how expensive that would be nowadays, and so forth and so forth. I hope the new owner took one look at the painted room and promptly painted over all my hard refinishing work in the other rooms.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Feenix posted:

First coat of poly is on. I’m new to this. I have 220 sanding sponge block. I assume... I want to brush lightly? How lightly?
ColdPie gave a good answer, so I'll only second - You're going to find you basically are barely sanding it. Think more like "rub the sandpaper against the surface lightly, one time. Maybe a second time if it doesn't feel smooth after the first". You'll immediately feel the difference and it will be obvious what you need to do.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Finally finished smoothing and finishing this thing, got to put it in place tonight. I’m ecstatic with the result.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice start, but it's hard to visualize what it'll look like after you install the tie down hooks and the stockade.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Huxley posted:

Is there a way to finish an edge on something like that that isn't, "cover it with real wood?" I assume you can't like, rout a cove bit through it or anything.

Wife has asked for an extra-deep bookcase for her music studio (like, 18" square at the base) and I've only ever really worked in project pine.
Edge banding. Usually goes on with an iron.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Tres Burritos posted:

It's a little pinker than those other photos and the smell is strong when cut / planed so mayyyybe some kind of cedar? I'm not 100% sure what cedar smells like tho.

I have also learned that I'm absolutely going to need to build some kind of Thien cyclone for my planer to handle all this, does anyone have a build they recommend, or are the dimensions not like 100% critical?. Is there a performance difference between the ones that sit "in" the trashcan vs on top of it? Most of the ones I see online sit on top and are perfect snowflakes, I don't really want to spend a whole bunch of time on this if I can get 90% of the performance for less work and a slightly uglier looking build.

Looks a lot like red oak to me, both in color and grain. And if it was flooring in a previous life, oak makes a lot more sense than cedar.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

[Edit: Ignoooooore me!]

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m replacing some screws used to hold down ply flooring and adding some more, to deal with creaks. The ply and most of the joists are new, but some of them are 100+ years old.

Do I need to predrill holes? The screw manufacturer (spax) says no in its specs and I’m sure the builders didn’t when they put in their screws, but these are longer and thicker, and I’m an anxious type.

Here’s the screws I’m removing and the new ones going in:

I've never had to predrill with spax, and that includes a number of situations where a normal screw absolutely would have split the wood. Spax are great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

it doesn't move when you change the height of the blade?
It moves with the blade, that's his issue. It's always slightly higher than the blade.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

[Edit: nevermind]

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 2, 2018

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I made a 4'x4' garden box that looks like this

My dad saw it and wants me to build him one, but elevated so he doesn't have to bend over. This feels like a fool's errand, considering the weight of the 16 cubic feet of soil (a minimum of about 650 lbs) and my limited skills. I'm a poo poo artist and I don't know sketch-up, so:

My best plan so far is 4x4 posts at the corners, 3 feet long, with stretchers along the bottom. The sides of the box screwed to the top of the posts, and then ledger boards screwed around the inside perimeter which would support a bunch of cedar 1x6 boards that would make up the bottom of the box. Then some sort of support across the middle of the box to keep the boards from sagging in the middle. It feels like this would fail and fall apart once dirt was added. More or less, all the weight of the soil in my current plan is supported by screws in shear, but I can't really envision a better design. I am also a limiting factor in this, as my joinery skills stop at butt joints. Is there a way for me to accomplish this that's reasonably straight forward?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll incorporate a bit of all of it, and honestly, looking at other ones people have done, I think I might be overthinking the project anyway. Lot of people out there just screwing poo poo together all willy nilly with no ill effect.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mr. Mambold posted:

It should be labeled as enamel for wood application vs. flat latex for wall. Go with oil based paint for wood. Also, HD carries Behr, which is, or was a quality brand.
Is Glidden considered bad? Because I've used it twice, and it struck me as monumentally lovely, but I'm a bad painter, so who knows.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Javid posted:

Oh hey I made my mom one of those a couple years ago

Your sex furniture just gets more and more confusing to me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

So I was going to ask a more interesting woodworking question, but this is probably more practical and relevant:

While my wife's away on her research trip, I'm going to do some big house projects. One of these is to repaint our kitchen cupboards. They're about 50/50 solid wood and composite AFAIK, in that the doors and doorframes are solid but the shelves and sides are veneer.

Would spray painting the doors be a good option, or would it be best just to use roller and brush for the whole project? I guess either way I probably don't want to be spray painting inside, regardless of how thoroughly I might be able to mask off the rest of the kitchen...

(If we had a bigger budget we'd just replace all of them, since they're kind of cheap and I suspect the previous owner redid the kitchen cheaply in order to get the house sold.)

We're doing this right now, and here's our process - Our cabinets are polyurethaned wood, so first step is a light sanding to scuff up the surface for better adhesion. We are then rolling/brushing a couple coats of oil based primer, lightly sanding between coats to minimize brush strokes, and help even out some of the grain. Then we're doing two coats of latex paint through a paint sprayer (on the doors, that is - The frames are getting the paint rolled on). So far, it looks great. Not mirror smooth or anything, but a very nice finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Feenix posted:

Yea, I’m sure they are. Do we think it foolhardy to attach it to the bed frame? Also, by what means (nondestructive) would I attach it?
Not fool hardy at all, and your guess at how is exactly how it's done.