Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MXR Micro Amp is a clean boost so pretty much exactly for buffer issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Where do you guys put your JFET-based dirt boxes in your signal chain like this custom one that will be here in a couple weeks and maybe I'm excited:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fyodor posted:

Where do you guys put your JFET-based dirt boxes in your signal chain like this custom one that will be here in a couple weeks and maybe I'm excited:

Finally got this beast in and holy moly if you ever wanted to sound like Sleep-era Matt Pike this is it. What confuses me is that I have other JFET-based pedals and some of them happily gobble up an 18v input for added headroom whilst the Dunn Apostle, shown above, is also JFET but can only handle a 9v input.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Some guy near me is charging $200 for fret dressing using this machine:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/What-the-Heck-is-PLEK.aspx

Stupid? You make the call!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hanales posted:

200 hundred bucks sounds about right though. That's not a cheap machine.

The dude ran a store selling guitars, amps and pedals and decided to take all of those resources, not have a store and buy this machine and just do frets. He seemed to have a real urgency/desperation about me getting the service.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Has anyone ever redeemed their warranty on a Rat before? I accidentally fried mine by plugging it into the wrong power supply, but their warranty says "any excuse, even abuse." I've sent them a couple messages about it and received no response though. They're cheap enough that I might just buy a new one, but if they'll actually honor the warranty I might as well get it fixed.

Any excuse, even abuse, and we'll ignore it every time!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

massive spider posted:

Some pedals have a sacrificial resistor near the power input designed to fry if the pedal gets the wrong power but I dunno about rats.

Since the first version it has had border resistors. 1u at the input and out sections.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

AVALANCHE RUN

I just got a Mr Black Supermoon Chrome. Instant creepy factor! Whee!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want one of those. How are you liking it so far?

My Julia should be here by Tuesday. I'm hyped!

It is beautiful and perfect. It is an instant classic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

The setting I use 99% of the time on my TC T2 is the one that basically rips of the Supermoon. I've always considered replacing it with the real thing. Simplicity always beats too many options for me in my chain anyway.

Yea there's a fantastic pcb project from deadastronautfx called the Chasm that uses the Belton processor and it sounds really great. I may still build it anyhow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hanales posted:

If you're talking about tgp, EHX isn't expensive enough for them. They need a boutique version at twice the price with half the features and a load of goop to be satisfied.

You remember when Bill Finnegan claimed he had magical diodes and then they degooped the board, figured out what the diodes were and it turns out they are just normal $0.08 diodes lol.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

I'll bitterly grump to my dying day that the main reason to use more expensive components is that the more even product from component-to-component transfers over to a more even product from pedal-to-pedal (or amp-to-amp).

Occasionally you get stuff like op-amps being quieter like when I modded my GE-7 so it does the same job with less hiss but mostly what you get is consistency over actual ~*better tone*~

e: And even then this is more of the difference between like a one-penny component and a ten-penny component

I have two theories about how this happens:

1) Trying to get NOS components so you can say in your product literature NOS COMPONENTS and up the price +$200 drives the price of these components way up.

2) ANY pedal that achieves cult status will send its requisite component prices skyrocketing, particularly if they are scarce (which they usually are).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dangerous Minority posted:

What are the differences between fuzz, overdrive, and distortion, as far how they affect your signal? I always though distortion used diode clipping to square the wave while overdrive jacked up the gain to overload the op-amp and clipped it that way.
No idea how fuzz works, and I can't find sources that get into how pedals change the waveform.

Overdrive is "soft clipping." That means it uses diode pairs or a transistor to chop the top and bottom of the waveform off giving you a slightly distorted sound. Distortion is "hard clipping." This is accomplished by, again, clipping the input waveform but then sending the other peak directly to ground. This results in a harsher, higher gain sound. Fuzz is just some hosed-up combination of those two things, usually.

Short version: There is a physical difference in the circuit between an overdrive and a distortion pedal. Fuzz is a combination of the overdrive and distortion approaches.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

polynominal-c posted:

Except for the Fuzz Factory, which has a stab(ility) knob that does exactly that already.

Lots of pedals have bias knobs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

I think the best starting point for any stereo rig is a chorus. I've used all the Boss ones, some nicer high end one, and some super dirt cheap ones. All of them sound good for the most part. Set the depth super high, and the rate as slow as it goes. It's super subtle as far as the chorus sound goes, but it will make your rig sound really wide. Also delay, stereo loving delay.

Also put the cabinets as far apart as physically possible, in 3 foot increments, thats a rough guide to keeping poo poo in phase. One on either side of the drummer works very well. A lot of times the effect level on a chorus pedal will help you change the phase. A stereo chorus works by delaying one of the amps, instead 2 signals being split, delayed a little bit, and summed back together coming out of one amp.

Here's a video of one of my stereo rigs. This was used after our guitarist took a leave of absence, and I switched from bass to guitar. The band was just 2 guitars and drums, so we beefed up the low end by using 2 guitars stacks, and 2 bass stacks.

Looking back this isn't the finished version, but it's close. Tuner (always first so you can mute everything) then an AB box to get the samples in, and then I could switch back and forth and pump them through the whole rig, and use the effects on them as I'm doing in this video. You could also use an AB so that you could select which amp you want to use, but in this case I was always using both of them. Then into the chorus, 2 outputs into the stereo delay, then the "A" side went to that keely boost/overdrive, and then on to the Orange amp and 6x12s. The "B" side went into bass big muff, into the battering ram, into the Traynor and the 4x10 2x15. I ended up using an Orange OB1-500 because I sold that Traynor for tour money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UdZxx08Is

Nice you did the soundtrack to Hellraiser?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

True but LCD screens are dirt cheap depending on the quality.

It's a shame because I love my carbon copy tone but I need a bpm input. Tap is close but not as useful or precise.

A LOT of people are weirdos about pedal footprint so manufacturers try to make them as small as possible.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Novum posted:

Avalanche Run does too

I love the AR and I love Earthquaker/Jamie Stillman.

edit: Although, I'd like to think that he hated working for the Black Keys as much as everyone else hates hearing them and decided soldering full time was more desirable.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Needed a silent recording option for music that is usually recorded at fatal sound levels and found one:

quote:

The MEATSMOKE dual channel preamp is voiced for bass guitar or huge guitar sounds, and features the MEATSMOKE's unique overdrive boost.

Complete with Gain control, 3-band EQ, and Master Volume controls per channel. High and Low output modes allow for instrument-level use with a standard guitar or bass amplifier, or run directly into a power amplifier. Running one of the PREAMP PEDALS into an effects loop return or the power amplifier input of a bass or guitar amp can completely transform the amp's sound.

The dedicated record output includes a speaker simulating filter with two levels of intensity. This allows for running the PREAMP PEDALS directly into a mixing board, tape machine, or DAW, without the need for heavy power amps or speaker cabinets.

2 footswitchable channels complete with independent Gain control, 3-band EQ, and Master Volume controls per channel. Clean channel ranges from big cleans to growl, while the overdrive channel picks up where the clean channel left off going from crunch to all out thick distortion roar. Foot-switchable true-bypass switching also allows for stompbox-like functionality.

Housed in a sturdy black steel enclosure, set between two side-panels of finished birch. High-quality components are used throughout, including a regulated DC filament supply. Careful shielding circuitry layout yield huge tone with a low noise floor.

http://verellenamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/meatsmoke-pre-amplifier

This is replacing an Orange Micro Terror I currently use (which is very good, but I want something different).

See you guys in a month or two for a trip report.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Novum posted:

You'll enjoy that. I was using a custom job that was just a rack mount version of that preamp. It owns hard.

Got any clips? :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've found it insanely hard to get rid of my Carbon Copy even though it might happen soon. It's a really classic and lovely sounding analog delay. No feature bloat, even though external trim pots for the modulation tweaking would be nice. It's one of those pedals that nails the exact thing it's going for at a reasonable price and excellent build quality.

It uses Coolaudio recreation MN3205 BBD chips which sound great. I wouldn't sell it either.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

You should try the CC Bright version, I love it even more than the original (which I dearly love).

I don't know why these companies don't just add a pot/knob to change this setting and sell one pedal (OOOOH WAIT A MINUTE!). You could add a rotary selector for different R-C combos the way a lot of pedals do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haven't heard that one. I'll look it up.

I have heard really good things about that voicing. I'm actually looking at the Faux Tape Echo v2 for my next delay but if I pass that I'll go with the CC Bright. I love the CC but it can definitely get lost, mainly when you're playing with deeper tones.

My last two pedals have been a Walrus Audio Julia and a Whirlwind Orange Box. Both of them excellent pedals. I'm still not completely feeling the Julia and while the Orange Box has delivered the best phaser I've ever heard I've learned that my real go to effects are all delays and reverbs. I like playing with echoes and atmospheres too much.

Considering almost every Walrus pedal is a direct clone of something else I would be surprised if you couldn't find a cheaper exact replacement. (read: Behringer)

edit: hah maybe not the big B. Looks similar to the EQD Hummingbird: https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/hummingbird/ with a Boss CE-1 added.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 27, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hedningen posted:

Most versatile/most used? Modded DOD 250. It can be a great boost, hit hints of overdrive, and there's enough clones/kits that I don't feel bad about having around four variants of it with slightly different tweaks.

Value-wise, I got the Yngwie "loving" Malmsteen version in high school for cheap, modded it with ten bucks of parts, and called it a day. Versatile as hell, works for my sound, and I can make stupid shred jokes because of it.

DOD 250 is the poo poo, especially modded. Everyone should have one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait

volume swells and have we mentioned the Boss Slow Gear yet? Or that you can get a cheap, great recreation? I'm really high right now forgive me if this was discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIghVkhByc

https://reverb.com/item/5190324-boss-slow-gear-sg-1-vintage-nice-japan-black
(lol)

And of course Behringers can be had at normal people prices:

https://reverb.com/item/5819491-behringer-sm200-slow-motion-pedal-boss-sg-1-slow-gear-clone

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 6, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get buck wild and acid etch your own pcb, buy all the the components and solder them. drill out your enclosure, slap that sucker in there and then think man... I could've just bought that behringer one on reverb.com and spent less time and money.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/filters-envelope/slow-gear/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, with anything on the cheap end you can get some hosed-up poo poo from Mooer but overall they are great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stupid Post Maker posted:

What do you guys use or recommend for power supplies? I have 3 pedals now and may go up to 5 or so, so I don't need anything too big

You DO NOT need an all isolated power brick. If you are encountering issues with a pedal you might need one or a separate PS but don't buy into the bullshit that you NEED one. Daisy-chaining is fine.

The real exception is: are you using an old-as-gently caress pedal with some uncommon connection (PNP, 1/8", 12v, 18v, etc.)?

That said, iso bricks are nice to have. I have a VoodooLabs ISO5 and it's great for powering a handful of things at a time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alternate opinion: buy a very good power supply from a reputable company and never think about power supplies again.

This is, of course, the preferred solution.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Heel posted:

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

All Rats being made today seem to be this: Reutz Mod and a diode clipper selector/clipping bypass switch (so you can select between normal rat, turbo rat, you dirty rat or bypass) . for fuzzstortion?? Holy gently caress there are about two billion great fuzzstortions. My favorite pedals of all time are from Electronic Audio Experiments, Dunn Effects, Earthquaker Devices, Dunwich Pedals and Lone Wolf Audio. Check out their sites and you should find some bonkers pedals to suit what you're looking for.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I had a Rat from a few years ago. Sold it off eventually, was kind of generic-sounding to me, covered some of what a Metal Muff does, kept the MM instead, never really use that either.

I've got a Katzenkoenig and really like it. Mostly I do loads of layered germanium and tube distortion, but I was happy with the Katz into a clean EL34 amp as a simple single distortion effect. Was considering using it as my only effect, which isn't normally my thing. My previous distortion chain was a Distortion+, Analogman Sunlion (fuzz face and rangemaster clone), and a T-Rex Moeller. Katz replaced all that. It's a good pedal, usable as gently caress.

I've had this experience as well. Long time ago I had a Rat and it sounded so bleh. I revisited the thing recently when I made one and, granted I got to pick every part so some good poo poo went into it, and it sounded absolutely amazing. There will always be some element of "generic" since it was used on everything but man that circuit is GODLY.

Most circuits, it doesn't much matter which op-amp you use (seriously). In a Rat? Better have that LM308, dawg.

Also, since you're a germanium freak, here's some mail I got a few days ago:

:awesome:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 15, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

What are you going to build with all that?

Mostly just grabbing some goodly 1n34a diodes before they are gone completely. Short answer: fuzzes. All of them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

I'm building a new board to distract myself from the burning wreckage of my life and this is what I have so far (in terms of ideas):

Not sure what to put between the Empress and the DIG. I was thinking maybe the Meris Mercury 7, but I'm a complete reverb whore, so my judgement is impaired. Or just go all out and get an H9?

Ditch the Acapulco Gold, get a D*A*M Sonic Titan (much better example of the same type of circuit) and then throw a dart at a list of fuzz pedals.

Done.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

But... but I just got it on the cheap (B-stock) and I think it really owns :(

How much did you pay for it? I'm making Sonic Titans for some friends right now. They go for like $200-400 on Reverb used but I sell my clones to my friends for $75. Pretty simple to make, too, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

edit: EQD AG owns but have you noticed the volume knob is loving touchy as hell? Both pedals make their distortion by ramming your signal into an LM386 opamp but do it slightly differently so the tonality is a bit different. D*A*M is always on point, though.

edit2: pm me if you got questions son.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 11, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

Did they change the circuit between the V1 and V2? Cause I have one from the original "limited" run and haven't noticed anything like that at all.

No. Just added a soft bypass instead of mechanical.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 13, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

Speaking of Empress, I actually just put my Reverb up for sale. It's a very good pedal, but I got annoyed by the fact that it doesn't do the more traditional sounds all that well (Spring is garbage, Hall is weirdly boomy/cave-like, plate is OK though) and most of the charm lies in the 'out there' stuff. The modulated reverbs and the green Ghost setting are insanely cool, but when I'm just hanging out on one really good algorithm on such an expensive pedal I think something's wrong. I also thought the EQ section was a little weak, and having to remember what "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" stand for gets old fast. Don't kill me, but I'm really thinking about a Big Sky now.

What is hilarious about this to me is that it is using a Blackfin chip for which there are a ton of readily available spring and hall code samples that sound great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

Lol

I think they kind of overextended themselves and got a few things absolutely spot on, but then hosed up on some basic stuff. Also, the expandability of the pedal is great, but that also means empty promises (looper) and beta testing by the community. I kinda miss the Neunaber Immerse I sold for the Empress; no matter the setting or mode, it always sounded good to excellent. The Empress can do more, but it also makes you work for it.

Brian Neunaber is insane enough that I would expect him to make something great like that. Just look at the level of... uh... "eccentricity" on display here: https://neunaber.net/blogs/brian-s-notes/13830765-the-analog-myth-chorus

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someday I really have to grab a Wet.

Holy moly I just noticed Neunaber is like 7 miles from me. I don't know what that does for me but I feel his weird genius aura from here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

You should bug him for a tour of his goodies/a chat or something.

Yea, I might do that. Hopefully he hasn't seen me make fun of how intense he is lol.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I talk with Phillipe from Caroline pedals a bunch nice guy

really? His pedals are bonkers, that's awesome!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schpyder posted:

If I'm wanting a good tremolo, is there any reason I shouldn't just go and order a Fulltone ST-1 right now, assuming I don't need or want the sort of insanity you get from like a Chase Bliss pedal?

Yes you do. Always be buying Chase Bliss. Joel Korte is, no hyperbole, a genius. I just read he named the company after his brother who was killed by a drunk driver. :(

I was loving with my friend's Strymon Flint and drat that thing sounds amazing. $300 is a bit much for a Tremverb, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This trem sounds great and is cheap to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANs086-6AU

If you don't feel like making it yourself I may know how to do that. ;)