Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MrMeowMeow posted:

Someone on here recommended Fuji 800 Pro Z as something nice to pick up, so I'm going to go get some tomorrow and I was wondering if 1600 color film exists, and if so, what kind should I grab?

Right now in Japan, Fuji makes 1600 Natura. From what I've heard and the little I've seen, it's pretty amazing for a 1600 color negative film. Whether you can import it, hard to say. Ask your local camera shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I just started shooting film on a serious amateur/semi-pro basis. Shot the following on Fujicolor Superia 100 @ 80, Nikon F5 with a 35mm f/2 manual AI lens. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan 5000. Straight scan, no color correction, just a minor tweak in brightness. Still working out the bugs with the scanner and my technique.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Reichstag posted:

From my new Nokton 50 1.5:

(Arista Premium/Tri-X in Diafine)

Hey, I just realized you post on RangefinderForum.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Heh, yeah, do you?

I have an account, but I don't post since I haven't bought my rangefinder yet. Maybe in a couple of months when I have more money.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Reichstag posted:

um, the UC line is being discontinued in favor of the new Ektar line, iirc.

If you look on Kodak's website, you'll see that it's actually now a consumer film, not a professional one.

Anyway, UC400 and UC100 are cheap as hell now in Japan. I bought a 5 pack for around 2300yen.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
*sigh*

Just had Babby's first film jam on my Nikon F5. I must have loaded it wrong. Anyway, I'm gonna get the film developed and see what turns out (if anything). :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

I'm going to a carnival/fair next weekend but have no experience shooting night time shots on film. Can anyone reccomend me a film I should be using to take pictures in such an environment at night (without a flash). I'm aware that a lot of people shoot up to 1600/3200, would these sort of ISO's work for me at night? Also I would like to shoot in colour if that helps!

Fuji Superia 1600 is pretty decent for a fast color negative.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

Thats cool I've seen some okay prices for that too so I'll get a couple of rolls. What do you do about light metering at night? Is it best just to set it to over expose? I only use the in built light meter on my Fujica STX-1 and I've never shot night before :)

I usually just set it to 1600 and use center weighted average. Seems to work alright for me.

EDIT:

Just read a little bit more about your camera, and from what I gather, it averages out the light in the lens. In your case, I'd probably recommend that if you're gonna have it at box speed, overexposure your shot by 2/3 or 1 stop if most of your scene is dark.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 2, 2010

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Crossposting from the Snapshot a Day thread

Kodak Ektachrome E100G, Shibukawa Bellybutton Festival

Kodak Ektar 100, Kusatsu Onsen

Kodak Portra 160NC, Palcall Ski Resort, Tsumagoi, Gunma

Fuji Provia 400X, Otaru, Hokkaido

Kodak Portra 160NC, friend of mine

I have to say, my scans have turned out better ever since I changed my routine with VueScan.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

East Lake posted:

@ Voodoo, really like that Ektachrome sky shot. I've mostly shot with Velvia but I find myself moving toward Kodak's slides lately.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was lucky to catch it because it disappeared a minute after I took it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I WANT TO BUY A RANGEFINDER

I don't know about you guys, but I probably had the hardest laugh on the day. Completely loving dead-on. :lol:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Wait, what the hell? What's a 'copy' and why is it $140?

It means it's a reproduction not made by Leica, which is why it's so cheap at $140.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

You haven't lived til you've scanned with the v700 :drat:

You haven't lived 'til you've scanned with the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000. :smug:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

We have a Coolscan V in the office because one of our biology professors has 40 years worth of slides he needed scanned. Compared to it, flatbeds are nothing.

Seriously, dedicated film scanners are like orgasms in film scanning equipment form. :roboluv:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I never shoot 35 so a coolscan is worse than useless for me :(

Unless I had bought the Coolscan 9000 like I had originally planned, then I could wave my giant film scanning dick. But I figured that it'd be overkill and I wouldn't even shoot MF, so why pay more?

I kinda regret it now. :(

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

McMadCow posted:

Wow, small world! I keep thinking there needs to be a Bay Area Dorkroom gathering/shoot day/workshop or something. There's so many of us.

In that case, please do it when I actually come back to the Bay Area permanently.

EDIT:

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

I don't think modern movie film is inherently more prone to fading than C41, I have some ~20 year old Kodacolor negatives stored carelessly in a warm environment that have faded appreciably. Movie studios just have a significant economic interest in long-term preservation of negatives worth millions of dollars.

Nope, cinema filmstock is no more prone to fading than standard C41 filmstock... unless we're talking about Kodak's cinematographic film offerings from the mid 70s to 80s. Holy poo poo, now THOSE are prone to fading.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 19, 2011

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

thank you by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Hey, Berkeley BART. You a student at Cal?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

No, I live in Marin. I don't have a car, so I had to take BART to Berkeley to go to Looking Glass Photo to buy the developer that this was developed in.

Speaking of Looking Glass, how's the selection on developers over there? I'm probably gonna go there in the next week or two.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I took my M6 with me to Tokyo last month and picked up a 5-pack of the new Portra 400 to try out. I headed out from my hotel on a sunny morning, getting some skyscraper shots on the way to a nearby park. When I got to the park and prepared to frame a shot... nothing but blur! The glass eyepiece on the viewfinder had somehow come unscrewed as I was walking and fell off!.

I retraced my steps to my last shot in the desperate hope that I would somehow see it on the sidewalk but I had walked many blocks and was out of luck. I headed straight to Map Camera in Shinjuku to ask about a replacement part but they had none and didn't know who might carry it. Apparently nobody loses this part other than me. An internet search turned up nothing. I guess I will have to email a picture of the place the part was located to some repair shops and see if they have one laying around.

Wait, are you near/far-sighted? Then that glass eyepiece is a diopter.

http://www.mapcamera.com/shopping/s...&class=&x=0&y=0

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I wish it was just a diopter. It is the part that the diopter would screw onto. Right now there is just a hole and a mirror on the back of my camera.

Since I'm assuming you're no longer in Japan, I guess it's no consolation to you to mention that Leica has a store that does repairs in Ginza.

EDIT:

Found this thread online: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=101657

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Reichstag posted:

the Nikkor-S 50 1.4 is easily my favorite lens.

Whud up, Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 buddy? :hfive:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Studebaker Hawk posted:

RIP Zeiss Ikon (if mirrorlessrumors.com is to be believed)

Yeah, it's confirmed. It sucks; it's such a great camera and a cheaper alternative to Leica. I'm glad I still have mine, but I wonder if the lenses are gonna go away or if they're going to keep producing them.

I guess now's a good time to replace my neutral diopter since I lost the original at a film festival in Japan.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

nielsm posted:

Third point seems to be about PRO400H marketing within Japan being changed or something.

It's saying that PRO400H was originally marketed and sold internationally while only on a limited experimental basis in Japan, but now with the changeover from PRO400, it's being sold normally in Japan.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think cosina voightlander still makes LTM lenses that will fit your Canon.

Sorry to burst your bubble but they stopped making LTM lenses a couple of years ago.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Map Camera was my go-to camera store when I lived there.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

Cinestill is stupid, long story short it's a crappy version of Portra.

Cinestill 800T is just 5219 though, which is way better than Portra. Honestly, I'm thinking people have been having a hard time with it because it's designed to be developed in the ECN-2 process, which is similar to C41 but uses Color Developer 3 rather than Color Developer 4. The difference? CD3 is a flatter developer than CD4, so it's probably way more contrasty than it was intended if you dunk it in C-41 chemistry. I'm also thinking that people are rating it too high, and should probably be rated at 320.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 11, 2017

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I probably should've gone to Freestyle before they closed so I can practice B&W development. Oh well, just gotta wait 'til they open again.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Messing around: Formapan100 + DDX stand development:
Mostly just trying to see if it would work

Looks like it worked. What was your dev time and dilution?

Blackhawk posted:

Thought this might be a good time to drop in a video I just made of the automatic film processor I've been working on. It's pretty close to being done as a prototype now, at least it's capable of actually developing film. Still a lot of 'nice to have' tweaks but I'm on-track to start selling them this year (perfect timing, right into a pandemic and global depression...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y_88YVmjBs

Man, I really want this but I don't know if I could afford it now with the pandemic happening and all my work drying up. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Fingers crossed your work picks up after the pandemic my dude, I'm trying to make it as cheap as I can without also making it lovely.

Thanks, I'm hoping work starts back up once the pandemic's over.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I really like the halation on that cave pic.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have any experience with Clayton F76+/Arista Premium Liquid developer? I'm starting up my film dev setup soon and it was one of the developers I've been looking at.

EDIT:

Derp, page snipe

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

saving money on these dumb chemicals is a fools errand just buy the kodak or the ilford.

1 gallon of d76 from the kodak powder diluted 1:1 is good for 30 rolls , or $0.45 per roll. your savings are minimal.

Compare it to the 1 liter bottle of hc110 and that will get you 212 rolls for $35 = $0.165 per roll (dilution h)

if you really want to save money then you're in the wrong hobby.

Um okay. I never said anything about saving money, was just asking about if anyone had experience with that particular developer. I'm already getting a bottle of HC-110 and I was gonna get another developer to experiment with.

You do you, though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

President Beep posted:

Have you messed around with rodinal yet? It’s pretty versatile and keeps well. I like it. Better than the ilfosol 3 I got a while back (or I just don’t know how to use it well).

I've been thinking about it. I might get a small bottle down the road.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh, out of that bunch FP4 no doubt. But I saw there's a ton of B&Ws out there so was wondering if anything else might be worth a shot. Wish I could still get Verichrome Pan or Plus-X but those days are long gone.

You can still get Kodak Double X which is similar to Plus X (just faster) and from around the same time period.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Sauer posted:

Does it have a remjet layer?

There's no remjet on the black and white stocks.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

King of Bees posted:

The juicero of film developing lol.

Lol that is so succinct. :lol:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

King of Bees posted:

So, film squeegee y/n?

No squeegee since they can scratch the film. Just use your fingers.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

ordered a Fed-1 with a 50mm/3.5 off ebay. always wanted a rangefinder but lol at paying leica prices. now I just need to source a lightmeter and some film. I wonder what the odds are of getting a decent selenium light meter on ebay.

There's a Voigtlander VCII hot shoe light meter on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-VC-ii-light-meter-for-film-camera-hot-shoe/114496008508?hash=item1aa87e713c:g:6~EAAOSwZcRfoE7V

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Portra 800 was from the generation before they started incorporating all the advances with Vision stock into Portra film, so it's definitely grainier and more contrasty with less dynamic range than 160 and 400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, if you're worried about agitation, just go with stand development. Otherwise, developing black and white is easy and the agitations/inversions is no big deal. I was worried when I first started but it's really hard to mess up.