Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

After a few attempts to stop/start watching The Americans I've finally given it some decent time and it's excellent. Coming up to the final straight now (back half of season 4).

:ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Binged through Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency this weekend and is freaking hilarious

Ive heard it not very faithful to the book, but I dont care cause Ive never read it. If you dont mind that, it is tons of fun

Not being faithful to [previous iteration] is being faithful to an Adams property.

I loved this version as well. There's a second season planned too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Search Party. Really enjoyed it. Feels like a mash up between Broad City, Stranger Things and Nancy Drew.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rocksicles posted:

I was just saying this today. Drew Barrymore is hysterically funny all the time, But Tim Olyphant is doing a shitload of work there and he's crushing it, his delivery is amazing,

The daughter is way up there on funny motherfucker list

I'm loving this, the episodes are the perfect length for 'just one more', and it's like kimmy schmidt became a zombie sometimes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Without sounding like a 'you had to be there' arsehole, White Bear works much better with a full understanding of british tabloid culture. It's absolutely a plausible extrapolation of what we saw with the Soham murders, Bulger murder and others. The vitriol and bile spewed up by the tabloids and a non-insignificant part of the population could easily manifest in the audience at the end, and you only have to look at the cases of people taking photos outside of murder victims houses to get the bystanders with their cell phones.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

As far as keeping track of non-netflix shows, I've found a TV tracking app really useful - there are several ranging for free to paid. You put in the series you are watching and it'll show you what's airing soon and allow you to mark an episode as watched.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I use TV Show Tracker, which does the job. There are probably better options out there, but it's not like it needs to be complex.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Adding another vote in for Patriot - a couple of episodes to go and it's alllllll coming together in an excellent way.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Orphan Black is fantastic, mostly because of Tatiana's performances.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mobby_6kl posted:

They also had to cover up rear end cracks with blood here because clearly that's the problematic part:

There it is, that's censorship.jpg right there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’ve just binged the final season of The Americans after a slightly below par season five. Absolutely incredible show, and the two leads absolutely deserved their Emmy nominations/wins.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gravy Jones posted:

Happy to report the second half of The Expanse S3 was a massive improvement over the first. Looking forward to 4 now.

Browsing Amazon to see what to watch next and I decided to give The Patriot a go and about ten minutes in (folk song in Amsterdam) it's like yeah, sold, I'm in.

Patriot is absolutely fantastic, you've made a solid choice.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 1 ends with a gut punch. It's a short season so might as well finish it.

Also I found out the original Fleabag is a theater monologue thing and Phoebe Waller Bridge recorded a show for viewing. But I think it's for BBC viewers only.

Sort of - she put on a limited run of the one-woman show earlier this year and recordings are being distributed through the NTLive program, so you can see it at certain cinemas. I went and enjoyed it - it’s also interesting to see the parts which were brought back years later for the show.

Tickets are still pretty hard to come by, but if you’re flexible on cinema it’s possible. National Theatre Live.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Is this a remake then? I’m sure there was something else with the same concept. Had Tim Minchin.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mu Zeta posted:

Really surprised by the downer ending of Silicon Valley. Really like that they did that. Same with Veep.

It was a great ended, but man, what they did to Bighead. That was just heart wrenching.

Laurie’s ending was hilarious though. ”Yes, we have rats here also. They are..... dealt with.”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Body switching, yeah

But I though they would come up with an excuse to keep that guy, and Im glad they didint

edit: I know is more complicated then body switching too, no need to explain it to me

I think they’ve said it’s their intention to switch the lead every season

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

the returned is filmed in Annecy where I go a lot for holiday.

They dragged a lot of bodies out of the lake when they were looking for a man who drowned a few years back.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Going through The Good Place. I am very pleasantly surprised how much I like it. I had heard very little about it up until now. I'm in the beginning of the 3rd season.

The Good Place is absolutely wonderful.

I’m going to pick up Ozark s3 now, I’ve enjoyed the others and this one is getting great reviews.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rat posted:

Tonight I asked one of my favorite questions: "do you know who Nathan Fielder is?"

No?

Watch Nathan For You. I put that on. We blasted through the first season and half of the second one in a night. It's too good to be ignored.

Definitely not for everyone but if it gets you laughing, there's just so much... so much

(This is my third+ watch through and it still gets me)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Disharmony posted:

Yeah, finished it 6 hours straight. I had no idea what it was about coming in but kept seeing it on Amazon for years and I got time to kill because of the quarantine.

Andrew Scott was fantastic on this one and was a departure from his usual roles which tend to be either evil, hammy, over the top or evil hammy and over the top.

He’s still morally grey in that one. Check him out in the second episode of the latest Black Mirror series too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm almost to the end of Peep Show. If you like the kind of comedy where the main characters are terrible people and the source of all their own problems, it's a must-see.

The episode with the canal boat (Holiday, season 5) is absolutely a masterclass in comedy writing.

Take a ridiculous concept like Jeremy eats a woman's dog in front of her, and work backwards through all the steps to make this not only plausible, but absolutely unavoidable, given who the characters are. Excellent.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Travelers was way more engaging and intelligent than I would have expected from a random Netflix show.

Travelers was really good. The skydiving episode in particular - reminded me of playing a video game over and over learning from each failure.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I liked that half the actors in Travelers were in Continuum (is there a designated Canadian time travel acting troupe?), which made it feel a bit like an alternate universe spin-off at times.

These shows are all filmed in Vancouver so there’s always a good chance of seeing familiar faces pop up!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dollhouse was one of the ones that got quite hosed by the network as well. The original script for the first episode has the client wanting company for a medieval themed ball or the like but the network decided no how about a motorbike race and a club instead. So generic.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm starting Gypsy - just seen a couple of episodes and it's really really interesting me. It's the first show in a long while where I really have no idea what's going on, or where it's going.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been watching Snowpiercer.

Albeit a bit ridiculous premise, it is surprisingly charming, at least based on the first five episodes.

I’m on the second last episode and all this holds. It’s ridiculous, it’s charming (and the two mains plus the 1st class girl are all so much fun)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

phosdex posted:

I am closing in on the end of s2 of Ozark. Really enjoying this, I like seeing Jason Bateman in a more serious role. I recognized Julia Garner from her part on The Americans, and she is killing it here. Every episode is pretty intense, kinda wish they dialed it down for an episode. Just had some boating time or something.

I’m watching the most recent season and it is just so, so good. Bateman as a competent Bluth is excellent and Garner is absolutely amazing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Line of Duty is a great show, there's usually a live-ish watch of it in one of the UK TV threads when the series airs. Bent coppas.

major Ozark spoilers
I've just finished Ozark and ho-boy, second to last episode I found annoying despite some amazing acting Ben's actor plays his breakdown so well, while I'm also constantly getting annoyed at the character just being so stupid but the finale was incredible, new lines being drawn and turns out Helen should probably not have assumed that Nelson would let her know if he got 'the call' just because he said he would

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Fartbox posted:

To be honest I feel Bens stupidity was almost over the top. It felt like the writers taking too many measures to make sure it seemed like our protagonists had no choice but to try to get rid of him. Like cmon the man is calling cartel operatives directly and trying to say "im sorry"

Honestly, felt exactly the same, it felt frustrating to watch. It was obvious as soon as he just kept trying to get in touch with people to apologise that this was only going to end one way.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Slothful Bong posted:

It’s also one of the few shows that has managed to completely change my view of a character. I hated this character at first, and just wanted their scenes to be over. But then some great character development happens, and all of a sudden I’m rooting for them (unintentional I swear lol) and want them to succeed.

I need to get back to it and finish it - but I'm almost 100% sure you mean Reese, right? I couldn't stand him at first, so wooden....

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Oktober posted:

Line of Duty is a great show, there's usually a live-ish watch of it in one of the UK TV threads when the series airs. Bent coppas.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In a similar vein, Party Down and Happy Endings are well worth a watch.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I loved izombie but it always bugged me that they never once turned the bone saw on but played the sound effect.

Also check out Party Down, Rob Thomas did that show too and it's amazing. It's got Adam Scott, Lizzy Caplan, pre-Glee Jane Lynch and Megan Mullaly and Matin Starr. Sadly there are only 2 seasons but each episode is amazing.

Not to mention a pre-Frozen/The Good Place Kristen Bell!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

FPyat posted:

I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix and find myself gripped. It's in that space that BoJack Horseman got into, but the levity comes from songs in every episode rather than the animal humor.

I love CEX - and like Bojack it hides a very, very serious message under everything else.

Managed to catch a live show last year, it was fantastic.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

devmd01 posted:

Been going through The Feed on Netflix and enjoying it. The review that sold me on it called it a black mirror episode stretched to a season length. It’s more of a slow burn thriller at first as it fleshes out the world and main characters, then things start going sideways and poo poo gets crazy.

I love a bit of Black Mirror so will be checking this out. Looks like it's on Prime rather than Netflix - is that the same show?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kanonvandekempen posted:

According to historians in the British press the Crown has taken more liberties with being an actual representation of things as they happened with each season, so maybe be careful what you're reading into things.

Having said that, abolish all monarchies.

The bar for the royals to take action for libel/slander is very high and the producers of the show know it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yes, it’s a lot of fun. I think I used to mix it up with sex and the city so never bothered with it but it’s a good black comedy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s also a very good podcast which I would heartily recommend! And they did a good making of where they talked about changes they needed to make. For instance the first scene with Bobby’s character (David Schwimmer in the podcast) going through the factory and warehouse is set in an airport, which is easy enough to fake for a podcast - but far too expensive for a filmed show.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Haven’t seen the second season yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

These shows are huge but the problem for me with the on-demand (rather than for instance WandaVision) is that the conversations often go along the lines of:

"Have you seen X"
"No, not yet" "Yes! Where are you up to? Oh, I'm 5 episodes ahead/behind" at which point it becomes hard to discuss again.